[Canterlot]My Night of Stars(Robikku, Open)

IceStorm

Nocturne surveyed the clamor of ponies when Luna appeared with the blue unicorn. It was no wonder the Princess attracted ponies where ever she went like bees to a flower. But the question came to the Aerion's mind: How should she introduce herself to a Princess? She seemed just as surprised as the other ponies were seeing her, and maybe she didn't want the complete attention she got on a daily basis. Well there were at least two ponies occupying Luna's time, so Nocturne could wait. There was a pony who appeared like he was fighting to stay awake, asking for the strongest cup of coffee the store had. 

"Hi," Nocturne said to the pony at the counter, trying not to smile too wide lest she expose her fangs, "I overheard you say you are looking for a strong coffee. I'd recommend the Dark Magic type. Of course I don't usually need the caffeine at night like other ponies since I'm up all night anyway. I'm Nocturne Melody, but Nocturne is fine. What's your name?" 

• 3 weeks later...

"You can call me Nova Burst..." said Nova, grimacing as he was fighting down yet another surge within his body. Okay, this was definitely getting out of hand. Without some help, or a triple shot of that coffee, he'd have to run from the populated area he was presently in. Why had he even come here? His very presence could put somepony or someponies in danger from him.  Grabbing a dark magic coffee he pulled with his magic a vial of a yellow liquid which were distilled sunseeds. Very few people ever distilled, or drank the sunseeds. But the sunseeds were like a massive infusion of caffeine. One dose could keep a person awake and energized for forty eight hours tops.  Mixing the Sunseed liquid in slightly more than the recommended dose for eight hours,   into his coffee Nova Burst's grimace disappeared. Nova Burst sat his coffee down at a table, and approached Princess Luna.  "So, Princess Luna you come for coffee often?"

This was going nicely - the attempt at meeting and associating with casual strangers, as far as Luna was concerned, was going mostly well!

Sure, maybe a couple of them seemed a little out of her experience of contact, but they SEEMED all like decent and interesting ponies with lives that she wanted to know a little more about...well, not intrusively but certainly she wanted to connect and get to know things. She wasn't sure what KIND of things she'd get to know, or even if there would be anything of value at all to be gleaned, but that wasn't really the point anyway - she needed to simply make some friends, the ultimate goal being to help lessen the impact her name might have on some citizens. Ice Storm was certainly a welcome starting point - the young mare had been a very warm guiding point for the situation, and Luna almost felt sure that this would probably be a friendship in the making worth building on...afterall, it was always useful having somepony of Icys kindly, gentle nature around. Luna didn't really know what to make of the other ponies just yet, and for a moment decided that it was likely easier to take care of the question posed to her by the blue unicorn, the matter of coffee type!

" I shall have a simple black canterlot blend, I'm most sure that should be a relatively commonly acquired style among these parts! " Luna answers with a small nod, a small smile given as she relaxes. 

" Rest assured, I will no doubt return the favor in future - t'would not do if I did not repay you in some manner after tonight, no matter how small. "

It was at this juncture that a young and somewhat troubled looking unicorn asked the question about whether or nor she came here often, to which she replies with a small amused laugh, shaking her head in response. " Oh no, this is my first night properly seeking out some nearby places for coffee and companionship of my own accord...my intentions are to establish perhaps a connection with some of you local ponies and continue in my personal goals of having ponies no longer fear or misunderstand me for what happened in the past. It simply would not do to continue being an unsocial mare, when there is so much more I could do to assist and interact more directly than just by merely dreamwalking! "

She hoped that perhaps answered his query sufficiently - although, of course, if he or anypony else desired to know more...well, she was not going to turn that down!

The news is a relentless mistress.  No sooner is one story plastered across the papers in black ink, then the erstwhile reporter is sent back into the rain to sniff out another.  You were either born to the work, or you hated it, and the stallion certainly didn't hate his work...  "Good to hear that the healing is going well.  As for new stories, well... there was the Friendship Expo in Manehattan.  No invasions, thankfully, though more than a few exhibits that I wasn't expecting.  The caribou had a booth, of course, to show the better side of their culture... but so did the changelings!"  He shook his head.  "The world, she's a' changing fast..."

Earth Writer raised his cup, as if in toast, as Princess Luna approached their table.  "Still grandiloquent as ever, eh Your Majesty?  Haha, wouldn't have you any other way.  Cheers!"

Ice Storm smiled and shook her head at the princess when she offered some form of repayment in the future. "That won't be necessary. Your friendship is all the repayment that I need," she smiled as she beckoned for the on duty waitress pony to come over to them. Normally she would just get up and go get the drinks herself, but it would be rude to do so while she was engaged in a conversation with other ponies as well. When she arrived. Ice Storm smiled. "Good evening! I need a large Canterlot Black, and I also need a large strawberry raspberry tea with a dab of cream please," she asked as she placed the necessary amount of bits on her tray plus three for her service. The mare nodded and went back to the counter area to prepare their orders.

She also listened as the new pony at the table asked if Luna came here often, although he obviously didn't catch the hint earlier when she referred to her as simply Luna a few moments before, but he had just gotten to the table, but she wasn't going to make a fuss over it though. She was thinking about making a small fuss over who he had just hung that other pony out when she tried to approach him, but just like with his address to the princess, there was no point. Plus, she understood why the pony was using such formalities. Some ponies preferred using formalities like that, and others didn't. If they hadn't just acquired a friendship, she probably couldn't deny that she would be saying princess as well instead, as that is the respectful way for somepony not acquainted with them to address them.

But as it was, she listened as Luna proclaimed that this was her first night out just seeking coffee and companionship. She listened as she also proclaimed that her primary intentions of the night were to establish a connection with the locals here in Canterlot and hopefully sway some of the ill out of her name from the fears and misunderstandings that seem to surround her in the minds of others. That it wouldn't do to be an anti-social mare when there are so many other ways she could help with ponies other than just dreamwalking.

"Well, I'll try to help with that whenever I can Luna. Already, since before we even met tonight I've always tried to spread your name in a good light. I know how it feels to be misunderstood and alone. I was that way for most of the time when I lived here in Canterlot before, but I'm always trying to point to ponies how amazing you are, and your sister forbid I ever hear anypony say anything bad about you... That's probably one of the only times I can quickly turn into a pony that... would be considered less than nice," she said with a small giggle before turning back to the reporter whose comment she had accidentally back burnered while she was ordering their drinks.

"And my apologies, Earth Writer right? I hadn't meant for it to seem like I had ignored your comment. I had heard about the Expo and I was considering going to it, but after going to the Crystal Faire, I simple didn't have the funds, nor am I in any sort of health condition to do any sort of major travel like that right now. I'm happy to hear that there weren't any invasions, and that there was a booth for the Caribou that showed the other side that we saw in the Crystal Empire. From the Caribou that came and helped assist in the clean up of the attack. And you said there was a Changeling booth at the fair? How did that go? Last I heard changelings and ponies weren't on very good speaking terms, but then again as we all know from experience," she said looking back over to Luna. "It's possible that they were just misunderstood and are actually quite amazing." she giggled a bit.

At that point she once again spotted the mare that was up at the counter, and quite the intriguing one at that. She appeared to be a pegasi but had bat-like leathery wings. She ad to admit, it was actually kinda neat looking. With a smile she raised a hoof and beckoned her over. No pony should ever have to be alone on a night like this, especially when the pony was seeking company to begin with only to get left in the dust by another. Surely they could make the mare's acquaintance.

Nocturne Melody watched as the unicorn introduced himself. For some reason the stallion looked like he was uncomfortable in his own skin or even being there among others. She was about to ask what the matter was when the pony went to talk to Princess Luna. It was just as well as it wasn't every night that one could find a Princess at the cafe. With a sigh she turned to the barrista and said in her velvety voice, "Dark Magic coffee for me."

The Aerion then took in the spectacle as ponies gravitated towards the Princess. Nocturne wanted to converse with the Princess that was woven into the lives her family and her species type. But she couldn't just talk to Luna like some rabid fan! Normally Nocturne had no problem talking to ponies, but she found herself holding back. It wasn't until she noticed that the unicorn mare that came in with the Princess beckoned her over. Nocturne gave a slight smile, trying not to scare the mare with her fanged grin as she took her coffee and balancing it on her outstretched wing walked over. 

"Good evening to you," she said to the blue unicorn before turning to the Princess and saying, "and to you as well Princess Luna." 

Not sure how to word what he wanted to say,  Nova Burst nervously approached the Princess of the Night:  Princess Luna herself. Bowing a little before her,  Nova Burst asked her.  "Princess Luna, you must be an amazingly powerful Alicorn in order to handle controlling the moon all by yourself. Question for you. Do you know of any artifacts, relics or enchanted items that could help a Unicorn focus and control unstable magic?" This was asked because at this point, Nova Burst was looking for any way he possibly could in order to command his horn.  Energy was however building up inside of his horn, despite his wiahes. The energy was building up, and energy like water follows the path of least resistance. The energy released itself from his horn, without any control and landed near Luna, hitting the cup of Coffee some pony near her had,  causing it to spill all over the area.  This was an accidental surge, but was why he didn't spend much time around pony kind. Honestly, Nova Burst was angry with himself for even coming around any-pony in the first place, because his existence endangered them.

• 1 month later...
"Still grandiloquent as ever, eh Your Majesty?  Haha, wouldn't have you any other way.  Cheers!"

Luna chuckles upon hearing Earth Writers little playful poke at her mannerisms, giving a quick nod of the head in his direction. " I am, of course, learning casual mannerisms as part of my ventures out into Canterlot - encounters like this can only serve to aid in my personal development, so if you feel that you have any suggestions that might aid in this...well, do not hesitate to let me know! " the princess says with a kind smile towards the stallion. His playful words reminded her that, of course, she did have a lot to work on with regards to her...periodical formality, but they did not seem to mind so much and thus did not worry entirely too much on the topic for the time being...although she did desire to make a conscious effort for improvement.

Luna gives a small blink on hearing Ice's rather interesting words regarding her thoughts towards the princess - she hadn't expected such a confession of Ice's prior behaviours regarding how other people saw her, and was a little taken aback at the mares passion towards both the night and herself - she probably knew deep down not to be fully surprised at this, Celestia had many such followers who felt just as strongly about her Days, but there were few times she had encountered this level of devotion towards her own work. It was both endearing and intriguing to know that the mare felt quite so strongly about the night as a whole. The fact that such a statement was being given at all by a mare who appeared to be quite the otherwise calm and sweet mare was also simply an interesting contrast, and something that Luna had not entirely expected to hear from her. " Well, Miss Storm, that's very interesting indeed - your support and admiration is very much admired...but do try not to hurt other ponies if you can avoid it...one has had enough pain and sadness attached to the name of the moon for one lifetime, and although I understand you mean well...t'would be better to approach things more from a state of educating those of ignorant minds, instead of a state of aggression! "

It was true - she didn't want to antagonise her new friend any, but she had punished herself long enough with regards to her actions that she didn't desire to see anyone else put themselves or anypony else through something similar...and Ice Storm was a nice enough mare that Luna didn't wish to scold her, but perhaps influence her to take alternative approaches to these things in future. Thankfully, the conversation was immediately turned to a brighter direction when Earth Writer spoke up...with Ice addressing the situation with a playful comparison in regards to her and past events, to which the princess simply blushed...how was she supposed to even respond to that?

Still, her thoughts were momentarily distracted when Ice Storm beckoned over the batpony...of course, Luna was hardly impacted by the fanged smile - she was used to that from some of her Lunar guards and aerions of varying roles that she had encountered in her times around them...a race who truly understood and valued the nights in many same ways that she did. The princess responded to the greeting with a smile, and a nod of the head in greeting and had been just about ready to reply to the mare when she found herself interrupted before she could speak by a voice nearby.

"Princess Luna, you must be an amazingly powerful Alicorn in order to handle controlling the moon all by yourself. Question for you. Do you know of any artifacts, relics or enchanted items that could help a Unicorn focus and control unstable magic?"

Such a question - she wasn't entirely sure how to answer it in a place of this nature, nor to a pony whom seemed to have a rather unstable magical energy about their presence...still, Luna knew she could not simply turn him down outright - perhaps she could at the very least offer some small educational tips. " Such artifacts are hard to attain, and oft not reccomended where in place a simpler method of personal training and relaxation can supplement any outside influences...there was, if I recall, an artifact designed to assist with the training of Unicorn and Alicorn magic, but it in turn became a very unstable force unto itself and eventually lost its usefulness - I could never reccomend a shortcut, not when magic itself must be tamed from within by your desires to understand and control it. "  Luna says softly, looking toward Nova with a somewhat stern but understanding expression. " If you believe your magic to be out of control, perhaps you need to understand the nature of your own magic more...rather than believe that it is better controlled by an object or a thing - rarely have I ever heard this to be true, nor would I ever declare it a better option over meditation and studying as a means to better yourself! "

She knew this would not likely sate his appetite for what he sought, but t'was better for the princess to be honest with him about her thoughts on such magic-enhancing arcane objects of olde.

As an effort to give a good example, Earth Writer tipped his hat to Princess Luna.  "One may be both respectful and casual, as you can see here.  It may be wise to remember that not all of your subjects would feel comfortable with their Princess bowing down to their level too much; strike the balance and trust your instincts, that's my motto!"  He chuckled, sipping from his drink again.  "I'm certain that you will do fine, your majesty."

Turning back to Ice, he began to relate the events at the Expo.  "I know what you mean about the better side of the caribou; they displayed it at the Expo as well.  It went over nicely, though that may have been because Manehattan hasn't really seen any invasion by any species yet."  The reporter shrugged.  "Same for the changelings, really.  Still, there were some very promising signs, including a pony/changeling couple!  I mean, one in which the changeling was open about her species."  There had probably been a lot more couples in that vein, though none were probably so open.  "And, as it turns out, they have some pretty good musicians.  Who knows?  Maybe one day having them at a wedding will be a sign of good luck."

Ice Storm turned to the princess as she began to mention that while her admiration was admired, that she shouldn't try to hurt other ponies if she could avoid it. That one has had enough pain and bad memories associated with her name to have to add any more even if the means were meant to harbor the opposite of effects. That it would be better to approach with an educative state rather than a state of aggression. "Oh, yeah, you don't have to worry about that from me. I might get verbal with somepony trying to tarnish your name, but I'll never get physical with them. Usually, If they are that stubborn that they won't listen to any sort of reason at all, then I simply move on," she replied to the princess.

She understood where the princess was coming from as well. There were so many more negative consequences and reputation that could come from her being violent towards others in Luna's namesake. It would send the complete opposite message that she herself was trying to convey. In order for ponies to understand that she was not the pony that all the stories made her out to be, they would have to experience her first hoof and actually give her a chance to communicate with them rather that trying to avoid her out of some misguided fear that was spread about her through a story book. The princess was right in all regards. Being assertive and educative was better than being violent and aggressive.

It was about this time when the pegasi with bat wings came over towards where they were and smiled. She quickly noticed the fangs in her smile, but was unsure of what to make of them. Was it part of a costume or something? she didn't want to be rude or the like so she just smiled and nodded towards her as she addressed her. "Hello there! Hopefully you have been able to enjoy yourself on such a lovely evening as this?" she asked before Earth Writer began speaking once again. He told her that the Caribou booth went over quite well, adding taht it could also only be because Manehatten hadn't dealt with an invasion of the species yet. He also mentioned that her presumption of the changeling booth had been pretty spot on. He said that they had shown very promising signs, and that there was even a changeling/pony couple that showed up, and even a pony that openly admitted that she was a changeling and everypony there seemed to take it in stride, and that some of them were exceptionally good musicians, further stating that at some point in the future, perhaps having them at a wedding would be a sign of good luck!.

"Haha, well I suppose we can only take things one hoof at a time. I would love to meet some of these changelings myself so that I might make my own opinions of them rather than basing my view on a generalized consensus about the entire race as a whole. Who knows what we could be missing from the individuals that are in the masses that race contains, and the same apply for the Caribou. Everything we know about them so far is based off of one event that happened. We know how strong they are, what they are capable of, and on the flip side, how eager they are to help right the wrongs of what others have done. Although I suppose the same could be said about ponies as well. There's a light side and a dark side to every race, so it's unfair for any to judge a whole based on a few," she finished in reply.

It was about this time that the waitress had come back with their drinks, the coffee for Luna that she had ordered and her strawberry raspberry tea had come as well, with a small pourer of cream. She presumed so that she could add the appropriate amount of cream to the mix herself. It made sense because a dab wasn't really a unit of measurement that somepony else could follow consistently. She quickly dropped a sugar cube down into her tea as well as a small dribble of cream, turning it into kind of a light pinkish-brown color. After that, she gave the tea a small touch with her magic to chill it to a drinkable temperature and took a sip to make sure it was at desired sweetness. Once she was satisfied, she turned to the conversation that the other unicorn was having with Luna, one about her possibly knowing where an artifact would be that would allow a pony to control ones magic.

To her, that seemed like a presumptuous move on his part to ask a her for something that could seemingly have much more power than what he was implying. An artifact for contriving one's magic, could in turn control unicorn magic as a whole, which would enable him to draw the magic off of others and use it to his advantage. She highly doubted that if this thing ever existed at all, that it would still exist today within the presence of Luna and Celestia. She was certain they would have destroyed such a powerful artifact long before anypony would have had a chance to abuse the power that it would contain. She remained quite though as the princess explained that she explained that proper control was achieved through personal training in magic, as well as learning to understand how the magic in the body works and how artifacts that had been created for training purposes ended up becoming unstable and lost their usefulness. That training, meditation, and studying were much better, more efficient methods of controlling one's magic. She chose to remain quiet during this part of the conversation though because she had no expertise in this area, and the pony best suited for answering such a question had already done so.

Nocturne held her breath as Luna was about to speak with her, but before the Alicorn could, a unicorn stallion jumped in with a more pressing matter of magical artifacts and something about his inability to control his magic. The Aerion knew about magic but not to the extent of how a pony could not have control of their magic or for that matter get it back. Maybe it was like her controlling the pitch and tone of her music. 

"Hello there! Hopefully you have been able to enjoy yourself on such a lovely evening as this?"

"Oh yes I have," Nocturne said to the blue unicorn who entered in with Princess Luna, "Well, I do spend more nights than days being out." 

She smiled widely, bearing her fangs, but when she knew what happened she quickly hid them with her mug out of worry that the mare she was talking to would be scared. 

"I guess it can be a little strange tough being out while most of the shops are closed and many ponies are asleep. That's why I try at times to venture out in the day occasionally. What about you? Do you like going out at night?" 

Nova Burst nodded, and looked at her for the moment.  Princess Luna was right.  Relying on magical artifacts to control something that he must learn to control on his own wasn't a good idea.  Controlling his magic was going to require massive amounts of meditation, and other training that he presently needed lots of.  

"Well, I'm sorry Princess, but I will have to vacate this location. Given I've already surged once, I don't want to risk actually hurting any pony. So I will bid you good night, and be on my way. Your nights are beautiful by the way,  Princess."

With that,  Nova Burst made his exit from the area.

- Exit thread-

Archived