Equestrian Military Enlistment

AlphaNumeric

How does military enlistment work in your lore? Does enlistment imply that one desires to make a career in the military, or it is similar to the United States' form of enlistment, where the person will usually serve for four years and at the end of his enlistment can choose to leave the military or reenlist for another four years (or otherwise)?

Edit:

Also, since I'm here, what's the policy on playing mooks?

I can't recall any specific rules about it, so I'm not sure that there are any.

The one thing that comes to mind though, is that given the existence of cutie marks/special talents, I would expect the former a lot more than the latter.  You'll get a lot of ponies joining the military who have passions for combat or protecting others, and while I'm sure career changes are possible I'm not sure how much work outside the military would appeal to them.

There's also a lore page here if you want more information.

As for mooks, I can tell you this.  If you need someone to attack the player characters, or minions to stand with a villain and do their bidding, you can do that and you don't even need to app them as long as they don't appear in other threads.  (Or maybe it's other storylines, I've yet to see an adventure progress past a single thread).  I don't know if there are any hard and fast rules of who manages them, so far it seems to fall to the thread organizer if there is one, and if not I think anyone can make them doing things that seem reasonable for them.

Enlistment in the Guard / Royal Equestrian Army (REA) is purely voluntary,  I would say a re-enlistment process probably exists, but I don't think its anything we've spelled out specifically in the lore, and probably won't.  What Derp Ravener says is true, then if a pony has a guard-related talent, they would probably stay in the REA as a career.

And yes, if by 'mooks' you mean henchmen, yes, they would be allowed in CC for sure, and would be allowed in WoE under certain conditions.  If you're talking about NPC baddies, then those are allowed on a limited basis.  The same thing applies to family members of characters:  they can be added for color in an RP, but should not take a major role.

Thank you both for responding! I ask the first question because I wanted to my character to have some time in the military as "an interesting experience to have" sort of thing. I know several people in real life who enlisted not because they needed the money or they wanted to pursue a military career, but because they did indeed think that it would give them an an interesting perspective.

As for the second question:

So if I were to say, have my changeling character execute a random faceless changeling soldier, would that be a no no?

Thanks for responding, once again!

Personally, I think you could do that, if you just keep in mind that that wouldn't really be a common thing.  It could end up being a noteworthy part of the character.  It's probably optional, but I might come up with a stronger reason for why he left than simply deciding he'd had his fill and moving on.

For the second question: I don't think there are precise rules. but executions would never be my go-to thing.  Given the setting, it seems a bit of a brutal end for a character we've never (and I suppose will never) properly meet.  I don't think there's any problem with the 'faceless changeling soldier' part though, and you could probably just as easily have your character punish them in some capacity (or attack, capture, etc. as appropriate for the circumstances).

Happy to help.

For the execution, I'm afraid the answer would be no. CC characters are allowed to be darker and can be combat-centered, but we want to steer away from murder and death.

Archived