qTsS4Lv.png

The Background Mane Six?

Saturday is upon us again and with it another new episode of the show we love, so sit back and watch adorable ponies do adorable things! In this case all the background ponies doing adorable things!  That's right, it is time for the long awaited 100th episode! Get Hype! So what will happen, how much head-canon explosions or confirmations will there be? Tune in to find out! The episode airs Saturday 11:30 AM EST on June 13th. :)<3

This thread is dedicated to discussing the episode before, during, and afterwards. As the thread is now open it may indeed contain spoilers. I ask that potential spoilers talked about or shown before the episode airs stay within the spoiler tags please, after the episode you no longer have to use the spoiler tags, but warning, if you haven't seen the episode yet after it airs, this thread no doubt will have all sorts of spoilers in reviews, images, etc. So tread at your own risk. :)

I enjoyed it. Now to the important thing: Canon. I am fitting this into Bon Bon's canon mostly as her being a trolly little troll who messes with her identity, which is something I already have her doing. So no changes. LyraBon is still ship.

That... was amazing :D

It's like a tribute and big thank-you to the entire fandom, the way they took so many in-jokes and memes and dang-near canonized them while turning it all into a hilarious episode showing what the rest of Ponyville is doing while the Mane Six are off on their adventures.  I love how the background Ponies and their interactions were realized, and they even included Steve!

I am going to be honest, blunt and straight to the point here and I don’t care if I get dragged through heck, cause a rift in the fandom or break a few friendships along the way for what I am about to say.

When I first saw the synopsis and title for the 100th episode of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic I thought I was going to be in for quite a treat with an episode to celebrate the accomplishments of the last five years and to look forward to the future of the show.

What I saw instead this morning was nothing like the episode I had in mind.

After two weeks of the hype being built up towards this once in a lifetime event, the tweet verdict from me is simple enough:

"I hate to say it, even after watching the ep but my fears were right all along. I am sorry, but MLP100 SUCKED."

That's right. This episode pretty much fell flat on it's face and sucked like a vacuum cleaner.

Now some fans may consider this being extremely too harsh towards the show staff and cry foul towards me for showing my inner Simon Cowell but this decision was made and despite the best of efforts to remain positive through out the whole thing, I had my worst fears for the episode realised in the space of 30 minutes and that didn't even include the attacks I got from expressing my true thoughts on this episode.

So why did it all go so wrong?

To sum it up briefly:

* The episode was overhyped and in terms of episode promotion it was pretty much in my face in the lead up to it airing. This resulted in being turned off from watching it in the first place.

* The idea of background ponies having an episode to themselves was in my opinion a disaster waiting to happen and I wasn’t even interested in the slightest when it was announced and that thought didn’t change when I watched it. Although on a positive note, there were some things that I liked including the bowling scenes which reflected my real world experiences during my league career.

* This episode ended up directly pandering to fans too much and overloaded it with too much fanservice to the point that it completely felt like it was being force fed. For the record, I don’t even like “fanon” with the exception of the Equestria Girls arc.

* I never bothered with the social media feeds for this episode nor did I live tweet (with the exception of updates and a few notable points) as I didn’t want to be caught up in a battle zone or face having to be subject of an attack by my voicing genuine concerns on the episode.

* The only redeeming thing about the episode was the wedding of Cranky and Matilda and that scene was pretty well done for the most part.
After all of that, I know I am going to be called out and blasted for this, but this could have been done a lot differently.

So after all of that, I have written my full thoughts on the episode itself on my blog which can be viewed here.

I have also included some additional thoughts on the episode in this recap video below:

Brilliant stuff! I thought for sure they'd got Colin Baker and Jeff Bridges for the voices of the Doctor and Lebowski respectively - but anyway, fab-tastic!

(Is it me or is Button Mash a somewhat lighter shade of brown?)

Rjrhmc28 the only problem I have with your opinion is that you set yourself up for it. You wanted to hate the episode so you looked for reasons to hate it. You had made your mind up before the episode even started.

* This episode ended up directly pandering to fans too much and overloaded it with too much fanservice to the point that it completely felt like it was being force fed. For the record, I don’t even like “fanon” with the exception of the Equestria Girls arc.

Also Equestria Girls is Canon not Fanon.

That's it?

Well, that was rather boring.

At least they got Tabitha to voice the gray pegasus pony with the yellow mane and the bubbles cutie mark again, with her using pretty much the same voice as in her do-over cut of The Last Roundup.

So the credits lists her as "Muffins". I've seen that name on some merchandise, but also noticed that she was never addressed by name in the episode.

The one I saw said muffins...livestream video even. An oddity I cant share right now in a screenshot as posting via mobile, but here is the url for my watched commentary video...credits there.

Should work to show what I mean now

I had my reservations about the idea going in, but it was fun.

I was being pandered to quite blatantly, but it was fun. it amused me. And as an episode I think it worked. Larson pulled it off.

It was honestly a cool thing to see all these characters get thrust in the spotlight like this.

The Lyra/Bonbon plot was probably my favorite part. Basically comfirmed I was playing her about right. Also, that reveal on Bonbon. I love how it's essentially Larson just totally teasing us over the whole issue with her name. That seriously was great.

There was a lot of just Larson having fun with us I think, actually, which is the right way to do this kind of thing.

and yeah, isn't just Robi; it says Muffins on what I watched too:

OEy96Bm.png

This episode was a pure love letter to the fans. Not a moment was wasted. It was nice to see the Mane Six take a back seat (getting locked out of the wedding made me lol for realsies). I have no words except I feel some serious, serious love. Yeah, it was great to see a lot of fandom stuff instantly canonized; even better, it was great to see the BG ponies get some proper VA work and personality.

For me the crux was that Derpy was front and center, and in full derp. I love her character and I feel she was one of the "first" fan-created characters. This will easily be one of my favorite episodes for years to come, as it's a presentation of how we've evolved as friends sharing in the fandom, and appreciators of the series itself.

20/10 Elder God Tier.

*fangirl explosion in 3....2...*

ERMAGERD THIS WAS THE BEST EPISODE EVER

Okay, got that out of my system. :D I was honestly a bit skeptical about this one before I saw it. I went into it spoiler free, but when you're on the internet that's nearly impossible, so some things just made me go "they're gonna do WHAT now?"

But as soon as the episode started, boy was it a blast.... I think I broke down in laughter before the theme song. I mean, everything about this was great, there's really no words. Seriously, the only thing I DIDN'T like was that Viynl didn't talk, but I guess if she did the fandom would explode and say "That's not Nowacking!!"

Though I know there's going to be hate, and here's what I have to say to it: I believe this episode was the show's way of thanking the fandom. It was supposed to pander. It wasn't meant to be taken seriously, but still fit in context with the rest of the show. Which is something that seems very hard to do, so good job Larson.

Also...

- Steven Magnet is best pony. Schmooze, you got 1 upped.

- LyraBon is second best ship....no one can beat FlutterCord. :P

- Bon Bon is Equestria's greatest troll.

Okay, that's all I got. Now excuse me while I have a squee attack...

Archived