Official Discussion Thread - S05E10 Princess Spike

princess_twilight_sparkle_and_spike_by_m

Spike shows us his one actual useful talent

Saturday is upon us again and with it another new episode of the show we love, so sit back and watch adorable ponies do adorable things! At least that is how it usually is, as this looks to be our first Spike centered episode.  So how will Spike royally screw up a simple bit of responsibility this time (because we all know he is going to mess up)? Tune in to find out! The episode airs Saturday 11:30 AM EST on June 20th. :)<3

This thread is dedicated to discussing the episode before, during, and afterwards. As the thread is now open it may indeed contain spoilers. I ask that potential spoilers talked about or shown before the episode airs stay within the spoiler tags please, after the episode you no longer have to use the spoiler tags, but warning, if you haven't seen the episode yet after it airs, this thread no doubt will have all sorts of spoilers in reviews, images, etc. So tread at your own risk. :)

Least favorite so far this season and worst Spike episode since Dragon Quest.

That said, I didn't really hate it, it was just resoundingly meh. I like most Spike episodes too.

it just didn't have an especially compelling conflict and really it was kind of hard to blame Spike for what happened since he was, as usual just trying his best to do what he was told. It was just his bad luck that the  situation became so out of hand. When he was cornered, he did even go at first to try and get input from Twilight, she just wasn't in a state to give it.

The most interesting things in the episode were the things that weren't Spike. All the new character designs were cool, and it was good to see returning faces like Gustave and especially Fancy Pants. Also, I found the brief cameo by Matilda interesting after last week. Indicating that she's the representative to the summit representing Ponyville? perhaps it makes sense than that princesses would be in attendance to her wedding.

It was okay ultimately, but it pales next to any other season five episode.

Well....I don't know what to say about this episode. I am completely stuck for ideas on what to say even after watching it.

This episode for me was a bit on the down side and was at times a bit tiring and mediocre.

Sure you may have Spike being the lead character and in a situation that has been covered on the show before (e.g Inspiration Manifistation), but I felt that this episode was not my cup of tea as they say. Don't get me wrong, I like Spike episodes myself but I felt this one was a huge let down even if no teaser material has been released to promote it.

Although there were some moments that brightened it up a little such as Twilight's fatique issues carrying over from "Castle Sweet Castle" after spending one to many late nights and being awake for three straight days preparing for the conference eventually using some books as a pillow in a nod to her "I'm pancake!" reference.

Apart from that, that pretty much sums up the episode for me really.

I don't know what to say about this episode. Not a single point at all.

On a side note, I don't know if I am losing interest in the Friendship is Magic TV series due to episode 100 being such a complete disaster and having it's jumping the shark moment or the magic spark that provided many memorable moments over the last five years isn't just there anymore.

Just my thoughts.

I have written my full thoughts on the episode itself on my blog which can be viewed here.

Eh, not a BAD episode, I liked the first half, but like all the others this season it failed to build up to anything worthwhile in the second half. It was actually Spike's best intentions that led to the problems, and him behaving badly had no impact whatsoever on the story. And of course, none of the other princesses do squat.

One thing I have to say about the episode is that it actually could have done a very good moral: It's unreasonable to pester those in charge with every little problem you have, while doing nothing yourself first to try and settle things. Ask not what your princess can do for you, ask what you can do for your princess. The whole problem came from ponies quibbling over stupid things and demanding that only princess Twilight be the one they'll allow to solve their problem instead of ever trying to solve it themselves. And yet the moral was... Was there a moral at all? The speech at the end was nothing but hackneyed dribble about cooperation. It's even more odd because the idea that the ponies might depend too much on the princesses has been floating around for years, yet this is the first time it's been showcased in an episode. And still, we don't get a single word about it!

So I kinda found it painful to watch. I'm not telling anyone else what to think though, just expressing my opinion. That said, I was cringing. I had a lot of hope for it too so it was a pretty disappointing development. This episode did everything that makes Spike episodes so 'meh.' Not only that, but it was much worse than usual to me. It started out with Spike feeling ignored and left out as usual, then he royally screws up. (pun intended) But that's okay because he... fixes it? Not really. It ended with the other ponies fixing the statue for him just to have him sneeze it back into bits, thus showing that nothing has changed. The end.

Like Rarity said, all the interesting things in this episode had nothing to do with Spike, and that's not good considering it was a Spike episode. It almost felt like he was in the way of the story rather than a part of it, which was a let down because I whole heartily welcome a good Spike episode. What's also a bit strange, is that Spike was just about to leap out the window before Twilight caught him. He was about to leave her stuck in a room with an angry mob without explaining a single thing. (funny?) Even though he screws up, he usually has good intentions. That was pretty out of character for him to be so willing to throw Twilight under the bus like that.

Also the problem with Spike and often Fluttershy episodes it that they use the same concept so much, it almost seems like the characters never learn anything or grow. But this one did something that the others didn't. It made Spike unlikable. Don't get me wrong. I like Spike. I just don't like him in this episode. Thankfully this season has been fantastic and there's plenty of room for great Spike moments in the future. But as for this particular episode, I will probably never watch it again. (Unless I want to further analyze why I dislike it so much.)

I really enjoyed this one, it was my favorite Spike episode by far of them all. Princess Cadance was a great foil for Spike instead of Twilight as his guide. It was nice to see Twilight's work as a Princess taking a toll on her physically and mentally. She's a strong character as it is and it adds to her depth to see her work as a Princess in action. She's not just "Okay, I'm in my friendship castle now solving problems!" She's heavily involved in the sociopolitical sphere of Equestria itself, not just Ponyville.

With that said, I think the story flowed nicely, and it didn't seem out of Spike's character at any time. I enjoyed the foray from a fresh host of background characters, and Fancy Pants inclusion also added more depth to what was once a one-off character from season one. I think it resolved a little quickly with no real consequence for Spike's bad behaviors up to that point, but that is not outside the norm for a "Character screws up, learns lesson" episode. Twilight has been in this position herself when her good intent went terribly wrong (Lesson Zero). This was Spike's lesson zero, and I think it set a solid foundation for his growth as a character moving forward.

I think what is polarizing about Spike is that we frequently see his character in different positions that ultimately confuse his role. He's saved Equestria several times over, his work has made the Mane Six who they are, and he's always been at Twi's side. Sometimes we get an episode with a focus on him that ignores all those facts and delegates him into the hapless-peon-where-things-go-wrong sort of role. So, when we get an episode like this, we're met with a character dissonance to ignore all of his other "growth" episodes up to that point, which sets us up for "Great, another Spike episode. We've done this before." Thankfully, I think this episode expands beyond that formula, and I think it's worth another earnest watch through a different lens.

7/10, an enjoyable watch and quality contribution to the overall FiM story.

So Twilight is up working for three days without sleep and she can barely stand.

Meanwhile, in It's About Time, she's awake working for the better part of a week and by the end she's still coherent and energetic.

I really enjoyed this one, it was my favorite Spike episode by far of them all.

Is there anything you don't love?

For me this episode was very mediocre, not bad, just mediocre, mainly because the plot was extremely simplistic and predictable.  However I wasn't expecting much as I never had a Spike focused episode that I felt was more than mediocre.   This isn't because I don't like Spike, he is fine in episodes when he is a supporting character and the story is built around him, but when he becomes the focus, the writers seem to be at a loss for what to do grow his character and make him more mulch-dimensional.

I didn't hate the episode though, mainly for various minor reasons:

• Book bed Twilight was absolutely adorable, especially when she made a pillow out of books to snug with.
  • I enjoyed the large variety in background ponies including a large number of new designs not before used (plus another griffin).
  • Cadence got some real air time, she is not explored nearly enough as a character.
  • I don't know if this was intended, but there was a little bit of worldbuilding in this episode.  What the episode should was in more detail how people view the princesses and themselves in relation to them.  It was made more clear that "royalty" was something earned, not inherited or given, and once you achieve an alicorn state and the princess title, there is much responsibility expected of you in your new role.  It goes a ways to explaining why ponies except and indeed enjoy the monarch form of government they have.

It wasn't a bad episode.

I kind of feel sorry for Spike. A little. He was just trying to help and let Twilight sleep and it went over the top. That seems to be the general "theme" when it comes to Spike episodes.

I liked seeing Cadence and her being involved in this episode though.

I liked the episode for the most part.

:)

Should they just write him out? Or at least not give him any more episodes?

You seem to have this as a thing but have yet to explain why this question crops up so much with you in regard to spike episodes.

Anyway...they should give him a mane 6 to play off as a general side character - be it twilight as a cautious motherly role, dash as a competitive role or even pinkie being in it for kicks and giggles, instead of trying to force him into situations solo and dumbing him down from #1 assistant to #1 idiot all the time.

While this wasn't a great episode, I do think it is one of the better Spike episodes.

I liked the idea of how he was overshadowed by the admiration of the Princesses and then when he had the chance to help he found himself in over his head. Then he felt more comfortable but power corrupted him. It's a good moral to learn about power and responsibility. Though this was a little predictable I did like the idea and the lesson. 

Other things to note: 

• The new background ponies especially the one from Equestria's version of Manhattan and I think North Dakota judging from the clothing and the accent. Other I like are the water works pony and the nerdy pony explaining the crystals to Spike.
  • The crystal sculpture. This was a nice representation of friendship across the towns and cities. Geez, there are tons of cities in Equestria! 
  • Sleepy Twilight. Does she become more adorkable when sleeping?
  • Princess Cadence. I like seeing her back and having her be the main Princess looking out for Spike and the sleeping Twilight. 
  • The simple nature of focusing on only a few characters. Don't get me wrong, I like when I see the mane six together, but there's something refreshing about centering on just a few ponies. 

The new background ponies especially the one from Equestria's version of Manhattan and I think North Dakota judging from the clothing and the accent

That "North Dakota" pony is a ponified version of this character from the movie Fargo.

What is it people keep saying they liked about Cadence? She did the same thing she always does: Nothing.

She was essentially representative of a nagging conscience/concerned colleague in the episode for the viewers benefit - or at least, resembling it to ensure the viewer could see just how things were going from bad to worse with regard to spikes attitude and thought process...I would, therefore, HARDLY call her comments and dialogue with Spike 'doing nothing' at all. Whilst you can obviously have substituted her for any other pony in this position for the episode, the point is that Cadance was the one delivering the comments, which is what many people are happy to see.

Archived