Official Discussion Thread - S05E12 Amending Fences

background_pony_of_the_week_65_by_blueme

We heard that you're famous now! And to think you were just some egghead in school!

Saturday is upon us again and with it another new episode of the show we love, so sit back and watch adorable ponies do adorable things! In this episode we return to the beginning, so to speak, as our favorite OCD adorkable princess returns to Canterlot to reconnect with those she grew up with.  What will happen?  How much of a dork with our lavender alicorn be? Tune in to find out! The episode airs Saturday 11:30 AM EST on July 4th. :)<3

This thread is dedicated to discussing the episode before, during, and afterwards. As the thread is now open it may indeed contain spoilers. I ask that potential spoilers talked about or shown before the episode airs stay within the spoiler tags please, after the episode you no longer have to use the spoiler tags, but warning, if you haven't seen the episode yet after it airs, this thread no doubt will have all sorts of spoilers in reviews, images, etc. So tread at your own risk. :)

I'm excited!!!

I just hope that it's not like Twilight Time, where all the sudden background characters are shown to be star struck by the presence of Twilight.  Wouldn't make sense, especially if they were her previous friends.

Well now, if someone invites me to a party, I will most definitely say yes. Impressive reintroduction to the little things the first episode of the show established!

Is..... is that Honey Lemon at the party?!?! :-o

This will be an interesting episode, seeing that I RP a unicorn named Moondancer on the forums. I wonder if they'll actually feature her in this episode........

*LATER, AFTER I'VE WATCHED THE EPISODE*

: ............M..............
..............A...............

Larrrrrrrrrrrrrrssssssssssssssssssssssssssssoooon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aw man, this episode had everything going for it, it really could have been a hit! Would easily have been a solid 8/10, possibly higher, if the ending weren't just total bunk. This really could have turned around my opinion of Larson, but he just couldn't carry it through... what a disappointment.

Still a good episode though, 7/10 I guess.

Cute episode.

It's interesting how for a second episode now Larson is establishing stuff about background ponies. That's kind of cool. Now it all makes sense. Lyra lives in Ponyville, Minuette and those other two live in Canterlot, so when either is shown in the other location they must just be visiting.

It's cool to see my ideas for Lyra further confirmed by the episode. I had her as being from Canterlot and moving to Ponyville right around the same time Twi did, and still visiting there frequently. This works nice. Now I know her and Twi are more long term acquaintances. That's awesome. I hope we see them interacting at some point in the future.

It was just a really cute episode. So many call backs to the pilot episode. It really drove home the idea of how much Twilight has changed. It was cool.

It was a very good episode I like the fact that Princess Twilight Sparkle apoligized to and made up with her old friends from when she lived in Canterlot, it really shows how much she has grown and learned since Season One, she truely does deserve her title as the Princess of Friendship.

It was a very good episode I like the fact that Princess Twilight Sparkle apoligized to and made up with her old friends from when she lived in Canterlot, it really shows how much she has grown and learned since Season One, she truely does deserve her title as the Princess of Friendship.

Funny, this episode basically showcases exactly why her being the princess of friendship makes no sense. Especially with Pinkie around.

*sniffle* I didn't even watch this episode live and I took some time away from Splatfest this morning to watch it and well....I got a bit choked up towards the end.

I'll let my tweet sum it up:

"So....that episode was one that hit home with it's message. Something I know all to well. ...and I'll leave it at that."

As mentioned above, I went into this episode not knowing what to expect in terms of story, character or what was about to happen. I didn't expect the story about Twilight trying to mend some broken friendships to be so indepth. I didn't expect Moondancer to be like Twilight and I certainly didn't expect her to break down in tears like that.

I can't put my finger on it, but this episode hitted home for me. I don't know why or if it was my past experiences in trying to make friends in the past and having a hard time in doing so that reflected what happened.

Also on a side note, I don't know if I should make this comparison, but based on life experience I often have difficulty being socially active due to my Aspergers/Autism.

The full thoughts on the episode are now available to view on my new blog post here. Its a little on the short side though.

For whatever reason, I seriously adored this episode. All the background pony details were neat and the callbacks were fantastic. The writing was also superb! I really related to Moondancer and Twilight so I miiight of gotten a little misty eyed here and there. Me thinks Amending Fences is my new personal favorite. Also Minuette was adorable. <3

MoonDancer is secretly Twilight's half sister/twin/doopleganger :razz: I'm sure some fan out there is coming up with that idea as we speak XD

A good episode. Love Moondancer :) those glasses on her are just cute in that nerdy sort of way.

Also loved the call back to the very first episode. Frankly I never really expected to see that part ever show up again. Just goes to show you that the actions of the past, even the most forgetful can have far reaching consequences.

Also, did anyone else get the Sonic and Tails reference with Pinkie?

Another cute episode....I do like the how they handled Twilight's old friends...And it fixed a little thing that bothered me after watching the original two parter...

Still Moondancer...Or Moon Dancer..This shows the comic book continuity and the show are truly separate...In the comics, the girls are older than Twilight..Possibly around Shining Armor's age..And at least in Moon's yearbook, she's probably the exact opposite of the show version..Being both a dancer and cheerleader...

And I see that some people are speculating that Moon wasn't only devastated that Twilight skipped out on her party..She probably had feelings for her classmate....

And I see that some people are speculating that Moon wasn't only devastated that Twilight skipped out on her party..She probably had feelings for her classmate....

More like that's the only reason why she could have been devastated that a classmate she never personally invited didn't show up at a party.

That or she just considered Twilight to be her closest friend. 

Or maybe even her only -real- friend. The others were cute, but really just background noise for her...Twilight seemed to be there at her side..Talking directly to her..Always wanting to help...An equal...And when she skipped out of town (TO SAVE THE WOLD!) Moon realized she did not have anything in common with her other 'friends'.

And zounds, it's going to be awkward if someone decides to app Moon Dancer....

Bellosh already did. and this episode SHATTERED his App x3

Well, technically it's Moondancer, while the character on the show is Moon Dancer.  :geek:

I'm actually taking the Tacobob approach for right now; my Moondancer and the show's Moon Dancer are two separate characters. Although I may take to calling my OC "Moony" more often now to reduce confusion. But yeah, by all means app the Moon Dancer from this episode. :)

I liked this episode. A LOT. I don't even know where to begin with this episode. Here's a summary though:

Nostalgia all around. Character development all around. Feels all around.

This was just an all around GREAT episode.

:D

I Really liked this! It was Very heart warming. Could have sworn it was gonna be one of those I want to be your friend again and mooch off of your popularity now that your famous! " Episodes at the beginning though XD Also! Huzzah! Continuity!

I was so sure it would be one of those situations as well but it ended up being a really enjoyable episode. :D

The  whole shut-in vibe was a bit overclocked at first but it got better further in and I really did enjoy the episode as a whole and I'm honestly hopeful we see more of these style of episodes with background characters getting some of the limelight but not completely stealing the show.

It  was a great episode. I love when more substance is being added to former background characters, expanding upon a small event in the past episodes, Moondancer being an interesting character, and showing the value of keeping old friends. 

Quite possibly one of the better episodes of the season so far. 

Archived