Official Discussion Thread - S05E12 Amending Fences

This was a great episode! I loved the focus on more background ponies and there was even a fair amount of Pony Joe in there, no speaking part but hey he was in there :D made me tear up a little at the end. Overall solid episode!

This was definitely one of my favourite episodes. It was great to see a plot hook that came from the very first episode, when Twilight didn't know much about what friendship was, really, and have her try to make things all right with her classmates.

It was especially great to see a lot of the episode devoted to Minuette, who surely must have been a runner up for being featured in the 100th episode due to her popularity with fans. She has a lovely, bubbly, eternally optimistic personality, and it was no wonder she and Pinkie were already friends (and they also recalled her being one of Cadence's bridesmaids).

Indeed, this time they took a great deal of time and trouble to get the details right, from her old friends to her old apartment. For those in the know, there was even the very subtle joke where Moon Dancer called her "Twilight Twinkle", a nod to Twilight Sparkle's G3 origins.

Only thing I thought was odd was that Spike mentioned Lyra as one of Twilight's old classmates as well, but she was never brought into the episode at all. True, they acknowledged she now lived in Ponyville and perhaps after years of living there as well Twilight may have thought she and Lyra were cool again, but I would have expected to see her at Moon Dancer's party.

Overall, though, a fabulous episode, showing the consequences of ignoring the feelings of your friends, this time with Twilight as the one who was less attentive, as well as giving her a glimpse of what may have been, with Moon Dancer being the eternal, friendless student.

After looking at Moon Dancers emotional breakdown toward Twilight, and the words she said I have no doubt that TwiDancer/Moonsparkle will be the next shipping pair to emerge.

And a hefty amount of Pinkie/Minuette, as well.

And a hefty amount of Pinkie/Minuette, as well.

You know, I wasn't really surprised when Pinkie showed she knew Minuette. In fact when Twilight showed surprise I said, "Your surprised? Its Pinkie after all."

THat party pony knows everypony in Equestria.

Another cute episode....I do like the how they handled Twilight's old friends...And it fixed a little thing that bothered me after watching the original two parter...

Still Moondancer...Or Moon Dancer..This shows the comic book continuity and the show are truly separate...In the comics, the girls are older than Twilight..Possibly around Shining Armor's age..And at least in Moon's yearbook, she's probably the exact opposite of the show version..Being both a dancer and cheerleader...

And I see that some people are speculating that Moon wasn't only devastated that Twilight skipped out on her party..She probably had feelings for her classmate....

Yeah there is a big difference between the show and the comic and I guess not Moon Dancer is the only point. In the comic we can see Twilight Sparkle as a still blank flank foal playing while both Moon Dancer and Sunset Shimmer seems to be as old as Twilight Sparkle in the show.

About the show:

Honestly I never really dare to hope that Hasbro will make Twilight Sparkle catching up with her old friends because of how mutch directly the show is focusing on the mane 6 ...and yet here we are.

This episode really hit home for me. I was on a trip out west, visiting my old home town that I haven't seen for a decade. I had left all my old friends behind, a few family I never really knew, my life, everything. I knew going back and reconnecting that things probably wouldn't be the same. I had found some downtime on Sunday and watched this episode on a mobile device in my hotel room, unsuspecting. 

And, it was true. Some friendships you can pick up like you never left, some friendships...people change, and you're really not in that picture anymore. It stung, and there was little I could do about it outside of an apology and a promise to stay connected better. This message really hit me hard, especially after I met up with some old classmatefriends I've known forever. It was uplifting to see Twilight reforge some of her old friendships and make recompense for being so dismissive. I'm totally guilty of that, and often this happens not because we're "too good" for someone in our life or whatever, but we just get busy and lose touch. We move. And yes, people move on.

As for the episode itself, it was great to see a call back all the way to Episode 1. Seeing that story fleshed out was a really intelligent choice, and I think is one of the primary reasons I enjoy FiM so much. The continuity -- while wacky at times -- is still really, really good. It makes me want to rewatch some older episodes.

This episode? 9/10.

I was wondering. Out of the shipping idea could that be Moondancer used to be looking up on Twilight Sparkle like Scootaloo does on Rainbow Dash in these days? I think that could be an answer to her behavour and why she wears her mane in almost the same way as Twilight Sparkle does.

I don't think she looks up to her, but more to her, as an equal, something she did see in her other friends. And considering she was a bit of a shut-in before this even happened, her party was obviously a really big thing for her...To finally come out of the shadows and try to be sociable, only to have the door slammed in her face by someone she probably thought would be her friend to the end...

I don't think she looks up to her, but more to her, as an equal, something she did see in her other friends. And considering she was a bit of a shut-in before this even happened, her party was obviously a really big thing for her...To finally come out of the shadows and try to be sociable, only to have the door slammed in her face by someone she probably thought would be her friend to the end...

Oh well, maybe if she'd thought to actually invite Twilight personally or ask her to come, she'd have had better luck.

Archived