Official Discussion Thread - S05E13 Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?

luna_s_night_by_dennybutt-d90s06x.png

Do stallions dream of wet maned mares?

Saturday is upon us again and with it another new episode of the show we love, so sit back and watch adorable ponies do adorable things! In this episode we have the return of perhaps the most popular princess, Princess Mooncheeks! Er... Princess Luna! This time she teams with the mane six in the mysterious world of dreams.  What will happen?  Will we see the nightmares of the mane six? Tune in to find out! The episode airs Saturday 11:30 AM EST on July 11th. :)<3

This thread is dedicated to discussing the episode before, during, and afterwards. As the thread is now open it may indeed contain spoilers. I ask that potential spoilers talked about or shown before the episode airs stay within the spoiler tags please, after the episode you no longer have to use the spoiler tags, but warning, if you haven't seen the episode yet after it airs, this thread no doubt will have all sorts of spoilers in reviews, images, etc. So tread at your own risk. :)

With the news that Nightmare Moon and Rainbow Power making a return for this episode, I'm pretty nervecited for what we could have in this episode.

So after this episode, I'm impressed by it. I'll have to watch it again to get a better gauge at how the episode is, but I was left impressed by what the episode showed and didn't noticed anything abnormally wrong by it.

To amend after hearing from one other person, though the ending to beat the tantibus was rushed and anticlimactic.
Admin Edit: Please use the "Edit" feature rather than triple posting. Thanks!

Figures that would've happened, but eh, my own foolishness for not editing.

Also as one other person said, the episode did felt rushed.

I really enjoyed this one! It was great to see a Luna episode, front and center -- with plenty of character development to boot. This episode had a lot of fun moments; I especially liked the numerous callbacks to other episodes with Rainbow Power, Flutterbat, Power Ponies, Knight Spike, etc. Also that Alicorn thing with you-know-who. Priceless.

A definite 9/10 for me.

I really enjoyed this one! It was great to see a Luna episode, front and center -- with plenty of character development to boot. This episode had a lot of fun moments; I especially liked the numerous callbacks to other episodes with Rainbow Power, Flutterbat, Power Ponies, Knight Spike, etc. Also that Alicorn thing with you-know-who. Priceless.

A definite 9/10 for me.

Floating between a B and B+ (8.5 or 9.0) for me. The rushed pacing and the climax bring it down but I still loved what they brought to the episode.

This one was fun. So much creativity on display in the dream sequences. Loved all the weird, monster designs.

Highlights were Big Mac and his magical girl moment, Lyra and Bonbon's "bond", knight Spike riding giant Derpy and of course Rarity at the beginning being all awesome with her magic beams.

Seriously though, Luna. Actually going so far to mentally torture yourself every night. You crazy.

There have been a lot of better episodes this season, but this one was still a good one to end the season on for now. Only wish we had gotten a Rarity episode first.

And I think we can all agree Rainbow Dash has the worst nightmares.

Yay! Luna episode! More reason for me to like her!

Anyways. I really enjoyed this episode, not only because it was Luna one, but it also gave a quite good look to how the dream spells Luna uses work and what everypony dreams and had nightmares off.

Also the alicorn big mac was quite funny xD

(Also, episodes are not usually in order. Some happened before/after others even if they came out after them. So this might had been before tank's hibernation or way past it.)

Well. I am afraid to say this knowing in the fact I will be most likely blasted or worse made fun of.

I am sorry to say this but for the first time since I watched the show, I've had to stop watching a My Little Pony episode.

I hate to say it, after ten minutes of the most screwed up visuals I have seen in my life (not counting one of the Fallout 3 expansion packs) and my PTSD being tested to the point where I was literally in a flight or fight situation, I had to abort watching the episode.

Don't get me wrong. While I wanted to watch the episode in it's entirity, I was literally close to calling an ambulance due almost going into a severe uncontrolable panic attack due to the visuals triggering my PTSD and bringing back some severe, if not painful memories from my past that I wanted to forget.

I know this may sound a little farfetched and a bit weird, but I have seen episodes where I got angry, cried and cheered. But never, in my life I have had to stop watching an episode due to my mental health going heywire.

The full thoughts on the episode are now available to view on my new blog post here. Its a little on the short side though.

It was alright. Loads and loads of fanservice with a conflict that never felt meaningful. Seriously, if they could do anything in their dreams, how are they even threatened at all? What's the point of saving them? And the revelation coming from the fact Luna just made a bad guess as to why the thing was getting stronger... was kind of lame.

I do love the stellar character development for Luna in this episode, but it's just too bad it had to be padded with all that fanservice. 6/10

Also seriously, Celestia episode WHEN?

Yes, finally an episode about dreams. Maybe they'll make up for the wasted characters ever since. Oh, dreams have such potential for character development, maybe we'll be finally shown their best wishes and deepest desires, or even better, their terrible secrets and fears and other things that they do not dare say in reality but can easily surface in dreams. Showing us how complicated the mindscape can be.

Well...

NOPE!

Okay, let me sum up darlings, we learnt that:
- Rarity likes dresses

- Pinkie is random

- Fluttershy likes to spend time with animals

- Applejack likes apples

- Rainbow Dash is 'Hiya! Ya!' loud and action packed (albeit she is afraid of... cutesy things? Really?)

- Twilight likes books.

After that, I simply gave up.

I mean.... My God, I have no words, darlings. I don't think I'll be able to keep up with such intensive 'character development'. Yes, this is the exact kind of episode that just grabs the potential and threws it out the window.

Hey, darlings, want to know where have I seen characters being butchered into one-trick ponies with flat, loud and obnoxious personalities like that?

maxresdefault.jpg

Why did I even give this episode a chance?

Not finished/10

You know, Darling, if you go into something with your preconceptions already firmly set in your mind you're only ever going to confirm them to yourself.  You may claim to have given the episode a chance, but I don't really get a sense that you did in any real sense.

Your observations are shallow and miss the point of the episode, which is about developing Luna's character rather than the six. If you had paid attention to her in it and continued the episode to the end you'd have found a fairly well delivered exploration of themes of guilt and self-punishment.

Then I guess it'd have been harder to just give up and compare the show to G 3.5 though, so I understand... :roll:

I'd say you're both right. Luna did have great development but that doesn't mean the others had to be flattened. It wouldn't have taken more time to give them dreams with a little more substance, which they've even done in other episodes. Personally I liked Rarity's, but Dash... c'mon, she's not Buttercup, that was just dumb. The whole concept of dreams in this episode is pretty heavily flattened just so the writers don't have to think about it too much, which really shows when you have episodes like Sweetie Belle Toils which really give a deeper look at a character's dreams, how it connects with their lives, their fears, their psyche.

One of the more unusual episodes so far, but yeah, pretty decent!

(Also I noticed Tank's back - that hibernation didn't take long, did it?)

The writers have pretty much stated from season 1 that the episodes aren't necessarily 'in order.'  For instance, 'Fall Weather Friends' is supposed to (vaguely) happen before 'Winter Wrap Up', but came first.  They also say that their concept of time isn't altogether linear, anyway.  I wanna make a wibbly wobbly comment here...

Well. I am afraid to say this knowing in the fact I will be most likely blasted or worse made fun of.

This statement is the main thing you'll get blasted for.  This is the 'HEY I WANT TO FEEL LIKE I'M BEING VICTIMIZED!' flag.  Stop insulting us by telling us how horrible we are, 'kay?  I've never even SAID anything to you, why do you have to insult me every time I come across one of your comments?

You know what?  Yeah.  You'll probably be blasted or made fun of no matter WHAT You say online.  That's called 'saying something online.'  It's one of the standards of being online.  you could say, "Ah, it's a lovely day outside,' and someone will blast you for that.  Calling attention to it in a 'poor me, poor me' manner?  Yeah, that's a jerk move.  Either put on your big-girl pants and deal with it like everyone else, or insulate yourself from the things that hurt you, but stop pre-emptively blasting and making fun of those of us who've never done anything to you.

Because, here's a news flash:  That sentence is you doing to all of us what you're complaining about people doing to you.

I personally enjoyed the episode, it was nice to see Luna have more character development in the series like she has in the comics.  I was truly saddened when I learned that she created the Tantabus as (possibly eternal) punishment for her past sins, because she was unable to forgive herself, and that she found forgiveness through friendship in the end.

I agree the dreams of the mane six were pretty stereotypical and certainly could have been more interesting, although I feel that was the result of having the story condensed to only 22 minutes when it could easily have been a two parter, if the latter, the mane six's dreams could have had the time to be more developed and thus interesting (especially when it comes to their fears).

Macho Spike and Princess Big Mac were absolutely hilarious though,a also enjoyed the fact that Fluttershy sees her fruit bat self as a stronger, more confident version of her.

7 out of 10.

This is probably going to sound inappropriate, but Filthy Rich was in another mare's house. Makes me wonder if he is divorced, a total player, or if he was having a fling. Maybe Diamond Tiara is illigitimate? Or maybe my mind is going in all the wrong places.

While I did enjoy the episode, that stood out to me for some reason.

Hehe. Well, I guess we don't know what Diamond Tiara's mother looks like. Seems unlikely it's Rainbowshine there, but it's at least possible I suppose...

MY GOD.

THIS EPISODE.

I don't where to start. Seriously.

EVERYTHING. Just... EVERYTHING.

It wasn't even because it was a Luna episode either. It didn't hurt though. :razz:

Action-y!!

The dream sequences were pretty funny at times. Especially when Rainbow Dash's fight with the Changelings got turned into... MY GOD. I'D BE TERRIFIED OF THAT TOO. MAKE IT STOP!! :mad:

GIANT DERPY.

Princess Big Mac. I lost it when I saw that.

Spike goes knight!!

POWER PONIES (I'm a superhero nut  :D )

Flutterbat. That got me too.

That ending too. THE FEELS.

Just...

THIS. EPISODE.

GREAT way to end it before the annoying hiatus. I'll give it that.

Wow.

Just wow. 

This, in my opinion, was probably the strongest episode of the season.  While episode 100 remains my favorite because of its craziness, this episode ranks high in term of some fresh plot and character development.  Ive been waiting to delve a little deeper into the show.

I agree, the mane 6's dreams were one dimensional, silly and obvious, (though Pinkie Pie's did make me chuckle a little bit) but that doesnt matter to me.  They werent having their stories told this time around.  It was all about our favorite, hardly seen night princess.

Pretty darn harsh if you ask me, to come up with a powerfully destructive creature in an effort to torture yourself for possibly eons.   Maybe a reason we rarely see her is that's she still so racked with guilt, and just wants to seclude herself from those who still say she's forgiven.  Maybe she doesnt feel worthy of their company, and feels they'll still see her as that evil creature that nearly doomed them all.  Maybe she wouldnt allow herself to be forgiven by others and share in their friendship.  Maybe she wants to stay alone, and only come out when needed, since she doesnt feel she deserves the love ponies are willing to give her.  Or maybe the writers got an angry and strongly worded letter demanding a Luna episode or face retribution.   Either way, the feels were strong in this episode. Im going to have to draw Luna again. 

And now, back to hiatuses.  Good grief.  What is this, the season of hiatuses?  Didnt we just get out of one? D:

And oh yeah, Princess Big Mac confirmed.  xD

Archived