A Wardrobe for an... old friend (Private, Zealot)

Blueblood

Indeed, a coat was certainly a good idea. A nice fetching coat to go with her dress. The cold would certainly be harmful for the Princess' complexion. Perhaps she should mention that. To be fair though, Rarity didn't really know just how much the princess knew about such things. It was important, especially now that she was a mare. Well, no doubt she would have staff for that. Perhaps her own personal makeup artist would see to it. Still, that didn't contract from the fact that a coat would be an excellent addition, Rarity made a note of it on her pad and started to jot down a few ideas that popped into her head. Still, material?

"Hmm," Rarity pondered for a few moments thinking steadily and slowly. A trench coat would certainly do the job. The princess could take it off when she got inside and it was elegant enough to be worn in public, and certainly would be nice and warm for her. Come to think of it though, perhaps she should include some stockings for extra warmth once the coat was off. "Boiled wool I would say," she pondered as Bluebelle seemed to look off into space for a few moments. The fashionista frowned slightly, wondering if the mare would register what she said. "I can make something quite fetching for you to wear out and about. I doubt the ceremony would be outside, so you could take it off at the door. I will also suggest some stockings for your hooves and to keep you warm inside," she suggested with another practised smile.

She paused after that, waiting slightly as Bluebelle seemed to ready herself for something. Then she listened as Bluebelle broke the ice. Rarity blinked in surprise, caught off guard by the suggestion and struggled to maintain her composure as she shuffled on the spot. She looked at her notes, then back at Bluebelle and stuttered slightly. Well, what was there to say? "I... uhh..." she stammered, trying to sort out her thoughts once more. Could they be friends? Could they really be... friends? Rarity steadied herself and sighed. The thought was a little repellent, granted. But still.

Bluebelle was not an evil pony, Rarity saw this. No, she was simply trying to make things right between them. That was certainly something that Rarity could respect. "I... well," she stammered again, shaking her head. "I'm afraid I don't know, Bluebelle. I really don't. You, you have apologised for your actions and I certainly appreciate that," she began with a kindly smile. "I just. Dear I think I just need time to process all this. I am certainly not adverse to the idea, and of course, some day we may be the best of friends," she said a little more confidently. "But, these things take time. I mean, look at Twilight, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, all of my best friends. We weren't best friends right away. It certainly took me a while to come to terms with some of the habits of Applejack and Rainbow Dash, but now look where we are."

Rarity smiled again at Bluebelle glancing back at her notes once more then back at the princess with a look of new-found determination. Well, if the princess wanted to be friends then she would do everything she could to make them friends. She seemed a little detached, speaking before. Perhaps all she wanted was to make up and have someone to talk to. Rarity didn't know, but she felt it was the right thing to do. "Tell you what," she began again. "How about we do something together, that we'll both enjoy. Would you like that?" she asked hopefully.

Next time they met, Bluebelle would have to personally thank Princess Twilight Sparkle for her friendship advice.  It continued to bring the goods, even now.  Open and honest dealing, that was the key; already the tension in the air was leaking out of the cracks in the social ice, leaving the two mares much more relaxed.  For her part, the newly-minted Princess felt much more up to the task of talking to Rarity, and thus did in a rather more free and easy manner.

"I think I should like that, yes."  She smiled at the idea of them doing something together.  "I'm honestly not surprised at how long it usually takes for ponies to actually be friends; my own, ah, efforts have been... something of a journey, to say the least."  Bluebelle laughed, as much in relief as in remembrance.  "I honestly owe a lot to Twilight, as do you, I imagine.  I had to seek her advice regarding a certain pony who was a constant irritation to me... and, well, now he's one of my best friends.  Strange how these things turn out, isn't it?"

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it seemed that at least some progress was going to be made today. Rarity had been a little worried when the princess had broken the ice with her question, but it seemed as if that had been a good thing. She'd stopped having to tiptoe around Bluebelle for a few moments and could actually give her a straight answer. Rarity was glad she'd at least managed to give her some of what the princess had wanted. That was it right? Just a straight answer on whether or not they could be friends sometime, or not. Either way, it was nice to see her smiling for once. While Rarity hadn't quite washed away her old memories of the princess, she certainly saw that this was a different pony. Perhaps not totally different, but she had changed just as Rarity had.

"Life is certainly full of whimsy," she remarked at that, agreeing wholeheartedly with the princess. After all, what was life without said whimsy. It would be more strange if it wasn't. Or at least, more boring. "But yes, I do owe Twilight a lot. Why, I was mostly focused on my career before I met her. Granted I had friends and I did my best by them, but she was the one who really taught us the true magic of friendship. She brought us together, and for that... Well, I am ever grateful," she remarked with a smile. Quite, the alicorn had been one of the best things that had happened to Rarity. 

Still, with that she pondered a moment on something they could do together. Come to think of it, she didn't really know much of what the princess liked so she was much in the dark about what to offer. "Perhaps a trip to the spa?" she queried, "Or to a show? What would you like to do?"

Whether or not it would be smooth sailing from here on out, the ice was well and truly broken.  Princess Bluebelle no longer felt the slight stiffness in the back of her neck that came from having to hold her head up before a judging crowd... or individual.  Her shoulders relaxed, and her smile widened.  In the space of an afternoon, the two mares had gone from dreading their reunion to actually planning a second outing!  Life was full of whimsy, alright.

But now she had to answer... spa or show?  To the new-made Princess, the former answer would have signaled more of a commitment to the change than she was willing to go forward with, notwithstanding the fact that Prince Blueblood's personal bathroom was suited with sufficient luxuries to be opened as a private spa of his own.  "I think taking in a show would be a good idea."  She said at last, putting a hoof to her chin to signify judicious thought.  "One can learn much about a pony from their artistic tastes... and since much of the trouble between us lies in my misjudgment of your character, perhaps it would be best if you chose it?"

• 2 weeks later...

Rarity could quite easily have made some sort of barb then about misjudging Bluebelle's character as well, but that wasn't needed. She didn't want to antagonise Bluebelle further and, well, what would be the point? She still believed that being so lovestruck with her in the first place was an error in judgement. Even so, best to let that one slide. She relaxed a little as well, after all, she was making a friend here, or so she believed. If Bluebelle was willing to go forward with it, then so was she. The white mare felt it was important for the princess somehow. Even so, making a new friend was always good.

The unicorn glanced at her measurements once more, then thought for a few moments as Bluebelle mentioned the play would probably be a better idea. Indeed, Rarity quite fancied taking in a show soon and now she had an excuse to go. That played in quite well with what she wanted to do. "Excellent dear," she commented, agreeing mostly with what Bluebelle had said. Indeed, it would certainly let them get to know each other better. 

Well, she already had an idea of what she wanted to see. "There's a showing of Filly on the Roof at the Canterlot Royal Theatre next weekend," she remarked with a short curt nod. "It's about a father who is trying to keep his identity in a changing world, and trying to keep his three daughters safe," she explained, thinking that it sounded like quite an interesting play. "I don't know much of the play itself, I've never seen it in fact. Still, I'd like to see it. What do you think?"

"Filly on the roof...?"  Bluebelle tried to recall if she had ever seen that show.  She knew of it, of course; high-society ponies had many connections to the theatrical world.  Knowledge of plays, operas, and musicals tended to filter in through a kind of cultural osmosis.  As memories of shows that Prince Blueblood had attended started filtering in, the Princess became painfully aware that he had attended most of them to be seen, rather than to see the actors.  It was entirely possible he had been to a showing, and simply never noticed it.  

Best not to mention it.  "I can't say I know very much either."  She replied, with mild interest.  "What caught your eye about it in particular?  Do you feel trouble keeping your identity in the midst of change?"  The mare looked down at herself, pensive.  "I can sympathize, if so.  Even before... this latest transformation, I'd often found myself bewildered at what the world was coming to.  Ever since Auntie Luna came back, now that I think of it."

Indeed, Filly on the Roof. It seemed like a good choice to her since, well, it had been recommended to her from a friend of hers. Still, she did wonder slightly at her choice. Why had she thought it was a good idea? "Well..." she began, thinking it over. "I will admit a lot of things have been changing recently. The castle, the new business, all our adventures with this magical map," she remarked with a slight shrug. "I suppose, it's a quaint idea, to miss the old days."

Rarity wasn't a wistful pony, but she did find that sometimes she missed the old days of their quiet Ponyville. Spa trips and dress orders used to be the most worrying thing she needed to think about. Now, well, apparently Equestria needed saving every other month. Adventure was always an interesting diversion, even so, she did miss the old days at times. "Maybe I sort of feel like I'm finding it hard to keep up with all these changes. It wasn't long ago that I was a simple boutique owner, now I have all these flashy clients, I'm expanding my business and I'm saving the world in my spare time," she remarked. "I don't feel I'm losing myself or anything, but. Well... It's hard to keep up at times," she said. The mare glanced down thoughtfully, then back up at the princess. "So, Filly on the Roof?"

'Hard to keep up'... yeah, that pretty much summed it up, as far as Bluebelle was concerned.  It wasn't that she didn't appreciate, say, finding out that she had two Aunties instead of just one, but with scarcely a year to digest this information before the return of the spirit of chaos, and scarcely another year before the invasions of the Changelings, not to mention Sombra, Tirek, and the Caribou!  Blueblood was still struggling to get to know Luna... which had, incidentally, led to this latest change.

"Believe me; it's rather harder for those of us who must endure these upheavals with no power to control or combat them."  The Princess replied, thinking over all the threats that Twilight and her friends had all been able to take care of.  "It's something, I suppose, that all of Equestria isn't constantly in panic or worry... we all seem to feel that it will turn out for the best, somehow.  And perhaps it will, but more of us are going to need to take an active step to ensure that.  Starting with me, I suppose."  

She laughed a little, the heavy burden of her subject slipping from her shoulders like a shawl.  "Ah, but never mind that.  So yes, Filly on the Roof!  No trouble fitting that onto the calendar; it's been made a wreck, honestly, by my recent transformation."

((OOC: Thinking about doing a new thread for the two of them taking in the show?))

• 2 weeks later...

Well, perhaps it was worse for the other ponies. Rarity was always the one dealing with it, but she supposed it would be nerve racking if one wasn't able to. She only just about got by with being an element barer. Or ex barer, or whatever ponies thought she was doing nowadays. That and her self defence moves she'd been taught, well, it was questionable if she was even the right pony for the job. Still, if Equestria needed her then she would give it everything she could. "I suppose so," she conceded. "Still, as long as our friendships are strong, there is no reason to fear." Indeed, Equestria wasn't held together on strength of arms alone. No, it was the strength of the ponies, their friendships which saw them through the dark times.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand. "But uhh, yes. Filly on the Roof. I will leave the arrangements to you. I will not be in Canterlot for a little while. If you would be a dear and purchase my ticket, I'll only be too happy to pay you back. Let me know our show time and I will be there," she said with a smile. "Hopefully by then I should have been able to work on your order."

Strong friendships... Bluebelle wondered what the other nations would think of it as a defense policy.  She didn't imagine it would be taken all that seriously, but really, at the end of the day, in peace or in war, you needed reliable ponies about you to get through it.  And in any case, she was now the head of an organization to export that kind of thinking...

She shook out of her musings about the same time as Rarity.  "Alright, I'll handle it."  Or rather, her secretary would, but no need to dwell on the little details now.  "I'll send word on what showing I've got them for; rest assured I shan't settle for any less than the best of seats!"  She smiled at the fashionista.  "I'll be looking forward to what you've come up with."

A stray glance from the Princess landed upon the clock, and stuck.  "Oh!  I suppose I really must be going now."  She looked about for her things, but then remembered that she'd only come in the brown, tatty cloak.  She lifted it with her magic with disapprobation.  "I don't suppose I could trouble you to dispose of this?"

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed, Rarity was looking forward to the show as well. She was curious what would come of spending more time with the princess. Bluebelle did seem different, genuinely wanting to make up for her mistakes at the very least. But that was just it wasn't it? Bluebelle was willing to try, so Rarity was willing to give just as much as the princess was if it meant getting another friend. 

"Excellent," she said with a smile, nodding softly as Bluebelle agreed that she would handle the tickets. "I will be waiting to hear from you with eager anticipation. In the meantime, well, I have a lot of work to be getting on with," she said with a light chuckle.

Still, Rarity had just the thing to help Bluebelle in the meantime. Her magic gripped the brown cloak, lifting it away and on to the table. "Oh, it would be a pleasure darling. I can use this as... well, perhaps something to rub off tailor's chalk." She thought for a moment, holding up a hoof to signal Bluebelle to wait before trotting up the stairs calling back. "Just a minute, I think I might have something a little more demure for you."

The white unicorn came back after a brief minute, carrying a soft pink cloak in her magic. It was simple, would fit Bluebelle quite well and it was a lot better than her brown cloak she had been wearing. "There we are," she enthused, floating it over to Bluebelle. "Just a little something for the road. I trust you will find that much more to your tastes than, that thing," she said, indicating the brown cloak. 

"So you do."  Bluebelle nodded as Rarity referred to the work in front of her.  "I am certain the results will be no less than spectacular!"

And that was it.  The measurements were taken, and personal rifts, if not bridged, were at least scouted, surveyed, and crossed once in a bushwhacking expedition.  The Princess stepped down from the mirrored stand, pausing as Rarity trotted off to fetch something.  Upon seeing the cloak, the unicorn mare was at first a little ambivalent; given everything he/she'd gone through, Blue was less than enthusiastic about further surrenders to pink.  But upon putting it on, and feeling the smoothness of the fabric against her fur, she smiled.  "Oh, the lining is wonderful on this!  Thank you."  She cast a look back at her reflection, and she had to admit, it looked good too.  Perhaps this wouldn't be so bad.

"Well, I'll take my leave now.  When I've secured the tickets, I'll let you know.  I shall also be certain to show off your handiwork.  So long!"  And with a wink, she went out the door, waiting until twenty paces away to sigh deeply in relief.  The hard part was over.  Hopefully.  It could only go uphill from here, right?

(Exit)

Rarity smiled at the princess' enthusiasm. She hoped the results would be spectacular as well, and that the princess would be looking her best for the wedding. Or at least, her best but not outshining the blushing bride. Or brides... plural. Or whatever. 

Still, she was a little regretful of her choice when she saw the princess' reaction to the pink cloak. "In Germaney, pink is the colour of men you know," she remarked with an encouraging smile, trying to find a positive side to the colour. After all, it looked good on the princess and Rarity hoped she was happy with it. The cloak would keep her warm and conceal her at least, while adding a little spark of fashion to her look.

"Indeed, I look forward to it. Bye darling," she chimed, giving the princess a happy wave as she walked out the door. Once she was out of earshot, the white mare sighed in relief. That could certainly have gone... a whole lot worse.

(End scene.)

Archived