Steam Metal (Ready)

Lyipheoryia

Name: Steampunk “Steam” Metal

Sex: Female

Species: Earth Pony

Eye colour: “Soil-like” brown

Coat: A gradient from light brown (flank and hindlegs-side) to brown (head and forelegs-side). She wears a dull metallic silver lab coat at work, and silver-rimmed glasses. After work, she prefers a seamless metallic silver top, and a metallic silver ruffle skirt. She always wears horseshoes made of copper.

Mane/Tail: Her mane is short, and styled in a mohawk. It is straight and brown (matching the colour of her frontlegs). It has one streak of light brown (the colour of her hindlegs). Her tail is extremely long, trailing behind her. It is also straight, but has the inverted colouring of her mane (light brown, with brown streak). Her tail is let loose into a silky bunch, with many small silver beads decorating the ends.

Physique: She is average height, but weighing on the skinny side. She is fit, and spends every morning working out (stretching, running around town, weights). She is modest and not very sociable towards strangers, preferring to take a business-like approach to everything.

Residence: The Residential Districts of Baltimare

Occupation: Owner of the Manehattan, Baltimare, and Hoofington convenience chain stores “Easy Street Markets-Shopping is as easy as 1, 2, 3!”

Cutie Mark: Her cutie mark displays a rectangular skyscraper with money pouring out from the side windows. Her cutie mark has two representations:

• It represents her childhood ambition to become rich and powerful (by business means). The money flowing out is a symbol if her overflowing wealth and ability to have seemingly unlimited material comforts. The skyscraper is a sign of power, and how she would stand at the top of the ladder-socially, in a business mindset, and physically by title.

• It also represents her philanthropic work and willingness to help others. The flowing money represents how she would shower those that are less fortunate by all means she can provide, and her free willingness to do so. The skyscraper is a symbol that she will always remember her humble roots; no matter how far up and away she is from them. Although she will be, material-wise, stronger and more powerful, she won’t forget to help those in need.

The night she received her cutie mark was a sad one-filled with regret, sorrow, pain, and things little fillies shouldn't have gone through. It was the night she realized her family was money-striken. As she was still young, she didn't have the courage like her eldest brother to listen in to her parents. However, she was still very curious. Her brother explained it to her: "Mommy and Daddy were talking downstairs, and it sounded...scary. Mommy kept pointing to the papers we get every month with lots of numbers on it. Bills. Daddy said 'There isn't enough', and Mommy said 'There has to be'. There was something about getting past harvest season," She didn't really understand what most of his soliloquy meant, but she had a feeling that it would affect her future. That night, she found it hard to fall asleep. The whole house was quiet, and it seemed to hit her very hard. She was poor. She didn’t understand anything else, but she knew that she wouldn't live the "pretty rich princess story" she and her friends had always dreamed of. It was part intuition. She was also very angry, knowing that reality was really that mean. Knowing that, this-in part-were the thundercloud's fault for ruining the crops . Knowing that her family might not have enough. And knowing that this was all about “the bits”. It all dawned on her so suddenly: the blame, the guilt, the money, and the consequences (although she didn’t understand half the things that dawned on her). She swore that, someday, she would have lots and lots of bits so that her Mommy and Daddy wouldn't have to talk late into the night. She would have enough bits to buy lots and lots of things-all those things that her friends had and she didn’t. She promised that she would use those bits to make sure that no other families would be poor. She swore that she would someday be rich, and to never need to ration money. She would have lots of bits and power, but she wouldn’t forget to help those like her parents (upset, frustrated, confused). As she made her oath, her cutie mark appeared (although she didn’t quite understand the meaning at that second).

History:

Steam was born to a pair of farmponies. She had five brothers-(from eldest to youngest; she is the second youngest) Mathias, Titanium, Tide, Ore, and Johan. Her father, Diamond Ore, came from a family of miners-but later devoted his life to the farms. Her mother, Serenity Farms, owned “Serenity Farms-organic and natural produce” in Garden Gait. Her father left the family to work a better paying job at a mine, and he died in a cart accident a few years later. Her mother was the one that held the family together. Their family bond was extremely strong, and they often relied on each other for help. Although all of their needs were fulfilled, they were far, far from being rich. The rent was barely paid, food was “just-enough”, and presents for birthdays and special events were all but a dream. To be honest, they were poor. Barely thriving. However, Serenity still encouraged them all to go to school and study their heart’s desires. She went through elementary and high school, becoming the third pony of her siblings to receive her high school diploma at graduation. Mathias and Titanium, the elder brothers, both left school in their senior grades to help manage the farm. Ore spent his graduation cleaning up the damage in the farmhouse from a rainstorm the previous night.

After graduation, she started working the family farm-like all her other elder siblings. Johan, however, decided to abandon the family after an eventful argument with Serenity involving “responsibilities”. A few years later, both Ore and Titanium moved out: Titanium having met the love of his life, and Ore having given a great job opportunity. Steam, still working the farm with her other two brothers and mother, decided to pursue a second job that would earn more bits for her family. She sent in her resume to a local convenience store. She did wonders for the store, with her seemingly natural talent in advertising, sales, and business. She got along very well with the aging owner, and eventually took over the store after he passed on. She stopped working the farm, and began working full-time on the store. She spent almost all her time at the store, living in the apartment above it.

By then, Serenity was getting older, and Mathias and Tide were no longer young teens. Mathias and Serenity thought the best idea was to sell the farm, while Tide was completely against the idea. But, yet, he also couldn't think of any other ways to pay of the debts. In anger and frustration, Tide left the farm to his eldest brother and his mother. Serenity died a year later, leaving Mathias her belongings. Realizing that they were still in debt, Mathias decided to sell the farm and convinced his sister to sell the store; to pay off the due bits and move elsewhere together. To go someplace that wouldn’t remind her of how she had put business and the store ahead of her mother.

A few years down the road, Steam was living in a modest apartment with Mathias’s fiancé in Baltimare. She once again was a buisnessmare, reviving an old local convenience chain stores. As time grew on, and her bits grew bigger, she decided to buy the chain and manage it herself. Without even knowing it, she was carrying out her cutie mark’s destiny. She proved very well with the chain: changing it’s name, managing finances, marketing and advertising, and spreading it to extend across Hoofington and Manehattan. This time, she remembered to set aside time for Mathias’s family, and re-connected with Titanium and Ore.

Now, she is millionaire success story-with a different message than the other “rags to riches” ponies: “Number one is Family, Number two is Friends, Number three is everything else. Opportunities will never come to you; you have to create them in order for them to exist.” She is a philanthropist, businessman, sister, aunt, and the creator of several foundation supporting single parent families, orphaned children, the less fortunate, and local businesses. She wants everypony to know the value of family, and to never need to learn it the hard way like she did. In the future, she wants to experience helping others firsthand and work, for a few months, in the local hospital. She wants to hold a better and stronger relationships with all her brothers-including those that she hasn’t seen for years (Tide, Jonah).

Character Summary:

Steam is a hardworking, persistent, and forward-thinking characters. She tends to always look at things in the long run; with consequences that she often does not realize until later. She very focused on the future, and finds trouble living in the “now”. As a buisnessmare, she can also be very cold-hearted and firm in her decisions. In such a way, she is also very stubborn: unwilling to back down for the sake of backing down, even if she knows her opinion is incorrect. That is her main flaw. She is also confused about her priorities-in one hoof, she was raised to understand money does not come easily, and that any opportunities that might make money should be taken. In the other hoof, she knows that spending time with one’s family should also be of top importance-lest one might not see the other again. She tries very hard to make time for her friends and family, but business often gets in the way. She wants to have a clear line between each of them, and be able to line them up in importance. She wants to be able to relax and wind down without thinking about her stubborn-and occasionally incorrect-decisions. She believes that everypony has something to improve on, and that she is definitely no exception. She wants to understand more about life, and to treasure it while it lasts.

(Apologies for any grammatical or spelling errors.)

Steam Metal

Steam Metal: Work Uniform

Steam Metal: Casual Uniform

All three of the above images were drawn by the wonderful jdbener.

Hi there :) I would be happy to help you in the process of getting this app approved. You have a very well fleshed out character with lots of detail and a solid backstory. This app would be ready to go right or if it was in CC, however as it is posted in WoE, there are a few changes that would need to be made to make it slice of life enough for WoE.

My first suggestion for change is the backstory on her mom and dad splitting up. We don't see this in the FiM show at all. This would need o be greatly toned down to be in keeping with the slice of life feel of WoE. I might suggest removing it entirely from the app.

There is also a lot of attention on her mother dying. We don't see this in the show either. However, we have accepted app with a death in them. It just can't be highlighted as much as our have here.

All in all this app has a lot of turmoil that goes beyond what I would like to see in WoE. The CC section was created for exactly this kind of app. Don't get me wrong please, it's a great app and certainly an interesting character. I just want to make sure you get the most out of the character that you can. ;)

With this in mind, feel free to update the app and let me know here or I can move it to CC if you'd like.

Hi there :) I would be happy to help you in the process of getting this app approved. You have a very well fleshed out character with lots of detail and a solid backstory. This app would be ready to go right or if it was in CC, however as it is posted in WoE, there are a few changes that would need to be made to make it slice of life enough for WoE.

My first suggestion for change is the backstory on her mom and dad splitting up. We don't see this in the FiM show at all. This would need o be greatly toned down to be in keeping with the slice of life feel of WoE. I might suggest removing it entirely from the app.

There is also a lot of attention on her mother dying. We don't see this in the show either. However, we have accepted app with a death in them. It just can't be highlighted as much as our have here.

All in all this app has a lot of turmoil that goes beyond what I would like to see in WoE. The CC section was created for exactly this kind of app. Don't get me wrong please, it's a great app and certainly an interesting character. I just want to make sure you get the most out of the character that you can. ;)

With this in mind, feel free to update the app and let me know here or I can move it to CC if you'd like.

I edited as much as I could-thanks for your help (on this app and on others).  By the way, are WoE approved characters allowed for CC rp?

:D No worries, I'm happy to help. You're characters are interesting and fun to read! Ok, I have one more edit for you to think about:

"By then, Serenity was getting older-her joints were stiffening, and her health was slowly and steadily declining.  Mathias urged her to stop farming and to leave it to him and Tide; while Tide urged her to continue-knowing that “once she sits down, she won’t be able to get back up”.  This caused a fair lot of argument, and resulted in Tide leaving the farm.  Serenity died a year later, leaving Mathias her belongings.  Realizing that they were still in debt, Mathias decided to sell the farm and convinced his sister to sell the store; to pay off the due bits and move elsewhere together.  To go someplace that wouldn’t remind her of how she had put business and the store ahead of her mother."

I think this is just a little too sad and dark for the FiM series. Perhaps you could think about re-writing this section or taking it out so that it fits what we are looking for in WoE a little better? It would be fine as is for CC, just a little too much for WoE.

Other than that, you're good to go by me. Let me know when you've had a chance to adjust this one section. Thanks for being awesome about making edits! I look forward to seeing this character in action in our RP section! To answer your question, yes once you have a character approved for WoE, they are playable as is in CC. CC approved characters must be apped to move into WoE.

:D No worries, I'm happy to help. You're characters are interesting and fun to read! Ok, I have one more edit for you to think about:

"By then, Serenity was getting older-her joints were stiffening, and her health was slowly and steadily declining.  Mathias urged her to stop farming and to leave it to him and Tide; while Tide urged her to continue-knowing that “once she sits down, she won’t be able to get back up”.  This caused a fair lot of argument, and resulted in Tide leaving the farm.  Serenity died a year later, leaving Mathias her belongings.  Realizing that they were still in debt, Mathias decided to sell the farm and convinced his sister to sell the store; to pay off the due bits and move elsewhere together.  To go someplace that wouldn’t remind her of how she had put business and the store ahead of her mother."

I think this is just a little too sad and dark for the FiM series. Perhaps you could think about re-writing this section or taking it out so that it fits what we are looking for in WoE a little better? It would be fine as is for CC, just a little too much for WoE.

Other than that, you're good to go by me. Let me know when you've had a chance to adjust this one section. Thanks for being awesome about making edits! I look forward to seeing this character in action in our RP section! To answer your question, yes once you have a character approved for WoE, they are playable as is in CC. CC approved characters must be apped to move into WoE.

I changed it as much as I could-I had a feeling that paragraph was the "dark and gloomy" one.

Archived