Official Discussion Thread - S05E14 Canterlot Boutique

the_sweet_and_elite_pony_by_adlynh-d6p6h

She is being sweet and elite!

Huzzah! Huzaah! The second hiatus is over!  It is time to once again sit back and watch adorable ponies do adorable things! This episode is one of three consequent Rarity episodes, so all you marshmallow fans can rejoice! For indeed September is Rarity month! What happens when one of Rarity's long time dreams comes true? Will she be able to handle the pressure of her new found success? Tune in to find out! The episode airs Saturday 11:30 AM EST on September 12th! :)<3

This thread is dedicated to discussing the episode before, during, and afterwards. As the thread is now open it may indeed contain spoilers. I ask that potential spoilers talked about or shown before the episode airs stay within the spoiler tags please, after the episode you no longer have to use the spoiler tags, but warning, if you haven't seen the episode yet after it airs, this thread no doubt will have all sorts of spoilers in reviews, images, etc. So tread at your own risk. :)

It is nice to see a return to slice-of-life form as the second half of S5 begins. This Rarity episode was pretty solid, and I think it resolved better than I would have expected. I really like the song too, that was unexpected. I think it's a great follow up "answer" song to Art of the Dress.

Top tier Rarity episode. 8/10!

The thing that struck me most about this one was the level of wordplay that was used.  It goes far above and beyond what I remember from any previous episodes and it just felt overall more engaging because of it.  Rarity song was great, too.  Overall a great episode.  Look forward to more this second half of season!

I probably don't need to even say anything here. You all know I loved this one already.

My favorite part of it it s that it's the first time since Suited for Success really where we've seen Rarity in her element as an artist. Sassy provides some friction, but really the core conflict here is a internal one for Rarity. Her need to express herself as an artist and fulfil herself creatively, vs actual material success. It's a good message.

Plus, from an RP angle, I adore the idea of Rarity expanding her business. i've always been interested in Rarity as an entrepreneur when I play her, so I like seeing her open a new location, hire an employee and all that. Lots of Rp opportunity's there.

Also, the song was pretty killer. Maybe the best Rarity song since Art of the Dress.

I also really like all the new character designs. Sassy is pretty.The pony who bought the Luna dress though... she was the best. her and Maud should meet. :D

I liked it also. But I do have a gripe.

I felt like the ending was rushed.

Yes yes, I know we say that about every episode. But here, I thought the episode was well-paced, but the end did not feel like much of a redemption for Sassy. It seemed to spend so much time framing her as an antagonist but then left 45 seconds to have a bit of resolution between her and Rarity.

Rarity already has a successful boutique, so it would have been hard to do the whole, "Rarity knows how to make dresses, but she needs a business pony to help run the business" thing. But I contest that this is exactly what it was, otherwise why would Rarity feel like she needed to work with Sassy in the first place.

I liked Sassy a lot, so I guess I just feel like they introduced her character in a bad light. It can be hard to shine next to Rarity.  Consider this, Sassy is at least better than Saphire Shores or Photo Finish right?

Let's give her some love. She's a rather good support character, in my opinion.

sassy_saddles_from_canterlot_boutique_ep

Rarity's plan from the start, as she makes clear at the end, was to operate the Canterlot boutique remotely with Ponyville still serving as her base of operations. I'm pretty sure that's why she went and hired a manager. Kind of a necessity in that situation.

As for the resolution, it didn't seem too rushed to me. I think how they did it was kind of subversive. In another story, she might have been Suri Polomare or something, just out for her own gain, using Rarity, but I never quite got the feeling of that from her. Instead, as it goes a long, especially with the line about how she can't be "can't be a part of another failed boutique," I think it reveals her as a pony who has simply been pushed into a desperate place which has her thinking more narrowly than she might have otherwise.

And yeah, I really like her too. I hope we do see her again in the future.

Sassy Saddles reminds me a bit of Fleur, possible relation? you can tell she is gonna get some fan art and fanfics for herself in about*Checks watch* Twelve seconds ago.

I found this episode to be rather enjoyable, especially since I'm a business management major myself.

Rarity. Sassy. Hire some hooves though, seriously you can't do one hundred orders by yourself.

This episode seemed to go along with what seems to be the "theme" of the season.

Don't follow the crowd/go against what seems to be "equality" when it's not really "equality."

Be unique, be different, be yourself.

Maybe not the start of the new episodes that I would have liked to see but I'm sure there are still more GREAT episodes to come.

Don't take this the wrong way though. I still enjoyed this episode.

:smirk:

I enjoyed the episode..This isn't one I'm going to watch more than a few times, but it was still fun.

Sassy Saddles reminds me a bit of Fleur, possible relation? you can tell she is gonna get some fan art and fanfics for herself in about*Checks watch* Twelve seconds ago.

I'm sure we'll see some of the rather round mare that popped up at the end..Gotta love a girl whose CM is her face..With stars...Almost reminds me of Homestar Runner..

3dcsy.jpg

I liked the episode. It spoke about creativity and the price of popularity, something that whether you're an artist, writer or dress maker you can relate to. I wondered how Rarity could juggle a boutique in Canterlot as in Ponyville. Sassy Saddle was a great character who we see having a different point of view with her ways of running a shop. 

No words can convey my glee but I'll try. Rarity episodes!!!!  ;)

Okay so I really enjoyed this one. Rarity was in top form as she followed her dream and found it to maybe not be quite what she expected. The writing was an improvement I felt over the former half of Season 5. The Song was fantastic and catchy, though I still prefer Art of the Dress for Rara  songs. 

On to Sassy Saddles, I am so happy to see more tall model-esque ponies like Fluer added to the show. They've always been a favorite of mine design-wise and Sassy is a redhead so that's automatically bonus points for her.  :catbug:

All in all this episode definitely beats out the last Rarity episode for me. Made in Manehattan was great and Coco was a cute new character but Sassy & the Song really stole the show for me.

I'm sure we'll see some of the rather round mare that popped up at the end..Gotta love a girl whose CM is her face..With stars...Almost reminds me of Homestar Runner..

I've actually heard a few people state the face on her Cutie Mark is her Foal. Thus her special talent is being a mother.

I've actually heard a few people state the face on her Cutie Mark is her Foal. Thus her special talent is being a mother.

That would be cute, but considering CMs pop up before puberty, it might be the other thing..Her face..That her talent is just being herself. Like the moral of every other Disney live action TV movie. 

Hmmm. Also wonder how much Rarity charges for her 'princess dresses'.

2ibkqr6.jpg

Archived