Official Discussion Thread - S05E15 Rarity Investigates!

full.gif

There is just so much dawww here! ;)<3:20:

It is time to once again sit back and watch adorable ponies do adorable things! We have arrived at the second of three back-to-back (to back?) Rarity-centric episodes!  This episode our marshmallow fashionista shares the spotlight with Rainbow Dash. What shenanigans will the duo find themselves in?  How many shot-outs to noir films will we have? Will Dash be pressured into dressing in style? How much ship fuel will this episode give to the RariDash shippers, (because for some reason, they exist).  Tune in to find out! The episode airs Saturday 11:30 AM EST on September 19th! :)<3

This thread is dedicated to discussing the episode before, during, and afterwards. As the thread is now open it may indeed contain spoilers. I ask that potential spoilers talked about or shown before the episode airs stay within the spoiler tags please, after the episode you no longer have to use the spoiler tags, but warning, if you haven't seen the episode yet after it airs, this thread no doubt will have all sorts of spoilers in reviews, images, etc. So tread at your own risk. :)

So much Raridash. They made an episode for Raridash. I'm more interested to see his thoughts on this episode.

I thought it was nicely executed! I loved the monochrome film noir bits, and the whodunnit story resolved interestingly enough. It was nice to see a focus on Rainbow and Rarity, and their relationship together. I also liked the continuity from last week's episode with Rarity, Sassy, and her boutique. I think it's interesting we're seeing more places around Equestria than just Ponyville this season, and I think it's working rather well.

8/10!

OhmigoshOhmigoshOhmigoshOhmigoshOhmigoshOhmigosh!

So much stuff I've been doing has been canonized.

I took a little flak because whenever folks say Dash is a wonderbolt, she always demures how she's only a reserve, and details how she won't be flying properly with the Wonderbolts, but is just (fill in the blank).  But the way she demured early in the episode is EXACTLY how I've been playing her!

And then towards the end, she called Rarity "Rare" and I've been calling her "Rares!" for ages!  So exciting!

And as far as the Raridash shipping goes ... Rarity was totally into their date and very, very patient with Dash, who was being innocently oblivious.  Which is pretty much how Phil and I have been doing things.

Then there was the episode itself.  The Film Noir feel, from the introduction to the clothing line at the beginning (top notch work, Rarity!  Beautiful garments!) to the monologues, the reveals of the clues, the Femme Fatale Nonpareille, all the way to the EXCELLENT closing sequence with excellent music and style.  An actual mystery that was realistic in its execution, with really good motive and everything.

This is definitely in my top ten episodes.

OHMYGOSHOHMYGOSHOHMYGOSHOHMYGOSHOHMYGOSH. *foams at the mouth and dies*

I don't kknow what can really be said here. There are no words. This really is in a lot of ways exactly the sort of  MLP episode I would have written. It was glorious and special and it's my new favorite episode ever.

And yes. this definitely does play into how I RP Rarity with Dash as Bramble said, which is amazing.

Also rather plays into the ship if you ask me.

And as a fan of film noir stuff, all that was great as well. Rarity was just non stop adorable and hilarious and I loved every minute of it.

Love the noir pieces as this is one of my favorite genres. Also I like how Rarity found who the culprit was using not so obvious clues even for someone who knows the signs in a mystery. Great job seeing the return of the Wonderbolts too!

This was pretty fun! To be honest, I thought I was looking at the episode about Rarity's boutique... Which confused me for a minute, then realized eventually. Lol

I loved the Rarity Dash episode. Finally some time between these two very different characters of very different hobbies. And they made it appropriately well.

Poor Rainbow Dash. Got accused for setting up Spitfire... And it all pointed towards the old guy.

Uncool, bro. Uncool.

One of the very interesting and productive episodes I've seen.

8.2 papayas out of 10.

I really liked this episode. I really did.

Then again I like mystery stuff so that may be part of why.

However, parts of it legitimately made me laugh. And there were surprising cute moments from Rainbow Dash.

No Ace Attorney/Spiral moment. That would have made the episode better for me.

But I enjoyed it all the same.

Another GREAT episode.

:D

What?!  No, no, no she wasn't.

Dash was *not* going to spit on Rarity's 'boobs', first of all.  Problems with this statement:  1 - Dash was going to spit on her hoof, or a hoofkerchief, to clean up the mess.  Like our mothers did whenever we spilled something on ourselves.  The spit-wash is the standard character display of either caring (but embarrassing) mothers, or someone who's never developed any class yet sincerely wants to help.  2 - Rarity doesn't HAVE boobs.

Second, I object strongly to the 'ho' or 'whore' designate.  That is someone who has sex for compensation.  Period.  Rarity would be OFFENDED at the very NOTION.

Third, it is not about seduction or sexual favor - yes, Rarity has a bit of a flirt to her, but flirting is not inherently bad.  What it DOES demonstrate is that how you approach a situation matters a great deal.  Dash was panicked, aggressive, and frankly - demonstrated her usual lack of social ability.  Rarity's description of what she did is actually pretty accurate - everypony likes a compliment.  This is *true*.  It's actually the first rule in Dale Carnegie's abysmal but effective book "How to Win Friends and Influence People."  Compliments.  Empathy.  It just varied depending on who she was talking to.  The delivery pony was blatantly flirty, yes.  The guards were sorta flirty, but not entirely.  And there was no flirtiness at all to the cake shop owner - that was just pure artistic appreciation combined with upper-class praise.

Fourth, this is a cartoon.  In cartoons, everything gets exaggerated so that people with poor perception can still see it happening.  People who lie ... lie OBVIOUSLY, because not everyone has the ability to see through lies.  When people are surprised, they rock backwards, eyes growing larger than physically possible, and let out a huge gasp.  There's very little in the way of 'subtle' behavior.  So just like EVERY OTHER behavioral characteristic, yes - Rarity's charm is exaggerated, so that the viewers can see what she's doing.

Fifth, I find it objectionable that because Rarity is female, it becomes her being a 'whore'.  She's channeling both those classic Noir detectives and those classic Noir femme fatales.  Most of those classic Noir protagonists were men - and those men could smile winningly at the waitress or female barkeep and soon they'd be talking about everything.  The classic femme fatales did the same thing with men - a smile, a wink, the men would underestimate her, and soon they'd be spilling their secrets.  Those classic femme fatales could occasionally be called bad names, but when did the male protagonists ever get called filthy names for that?  Yet because Rarity does it, suddenly it's bad?

My mother's from the midwest.  When she went to school on the East Coast, she continued acting like she was used to, from the midwest politeness she knew - when she talked to someone, she'd often touch their hand, touch their shoulder, small points of connectedness.  But because East Coast has a different set of connotations for physical contact, my mother discovered, to her horror, that she was gaining an unsavory reputation.  Exactly those sorts of words were thrown around.  And the professors offended by her were unwilling to step outside their cultural bubble to see that she was from a different culture, insisting that nowhere in the WORLD was touching someone's hand or shoulder an acceptable physical contact for someone you weren't close to.

Describe to me exactly HOW Rarity was a 'ho' in this episode.  It's easy to just sling around bad names with negative connotations.  Back it up.  It's easy to rest secure in your own little cultural hole, and look down on people who don't act in the *exact* way you expect everything to be taken care of ... much harder to follow what this show tries to tell us - different people have different ways of doing things.

Describe to me exactly HOW Rarity was a 'ho' in this episode. It's easy to just sling around bad names with negative connotations. Back it up. It's easy to rest secure in your own little cultural hole, and look down on people who don't act in the *exact* way you expect everything to be taken care of ... much harder to follow what this show tries to tell us - different people have different ways of doing things.

This isn't coming from a cultural hole, just a misogynistic one made by 'nice guy' neck beard types who expect women to be perfect Victorian examples of womanhood.

Archived