Official Discussion Thread - S05E18 Crusaders of the Lost Mark

cmc_yeah_by_quizia_d8qqx5i.png

Yay! Let's be adorable!

Well last week we got a good helping of CMC adorableness, but this time our favorite three fillies will be the focus of the episode.  In their latest adventure, the CMC decide to help little Pipsqueak in his political endeavors, but a familiar nemesis may once again plan to get in their way. Yay Cutie mark Crusader political lobbyists!  So what will happen?  Will there be a mud slinging campaign?  Scandal? Will Sweetie Belle again be the most adorable pony ever? (The answer is yes) Tune in to find out! The episode airs Saturday 11:30 AM EST on October 10th! :)<3

This thread is dedicated to discussing the episode before, during, and afterwards. As the thread is now open it may indeed contain spoilers. I ask that potential spoilers talked about or shown before the episode airs stay within the spoiler tags please, after the episode you no longer have to use the spoiler tags, but warning, if you haven't seen the episode yet after it airs, this thread no doubt will have all sorts of spoilers in reviews, images, etc. So tread at your own risk. :)

Yeah, that episode was pretty musical. Then things happened.

I think it makes sense for the Crusaders' marks. They get to keep being Crusaders since that's what they're good at. This should open up options for them and we'll see more Crusading, albeit with other ponies. I'm not sure if it really color coordinates (except with Sweetie Belle), but it works!

First 3/4 of the episode: 8/10

Last 1/4 of episode: 10/10

Oh... wow... words... not forming. 

Not only did it tackle something I wanted to see for a very long time, it actually tackled two things! 

As I said, the episode touched on something that was very near and dear to my heart: bullying. I know because I was bullied from fourth through seventh grade by various classmates, both physically and mentally. Not cool at all, and that is one of the reasons why I choose to role play Scootaloo as she reminds me as a little like me back then: someone trying to find their way while coping with being bullied. That is also why of all the antagonists Diamond Tiara was probably the most damaging. Surely something had to give where the Crusaders would break the cycle, but nothing like this! 

I assumed there would be an episode where Diamond is placed in a perilous situation and with no other pony wanting to save her due to how she treated them, the Crusaders help her and she sees the error of her ways. But this episode showed something more: bullying often is due to low self esteem and because the bullies themselves have been bullied. We saw this the most with Diamond's mother. And it was great to see that there was more to Diamond than this cliche bully type in cartoons who does so for no reason. 

I like the introduction of Pip as a foil to Diamond as while he's not very strong he is a friend to many. The voting idea was a perfect way to even the odds between Pip and Diamond! I also like the coup d' grace of Silver Spoon speaking out against Diamond's actions, something I also wanted to see. In the end I'm glad to see that rather than the Crusaders having to stop Diamond, Diamond stood up for herself and vowed to change. As a side note, the new playground looks awesome too!

Let's talk singing. At first I wondered about why all the songs. They were great don't get me wrong, but usually episodes have one song normally if that and more than one if there is something big going to happen. I liked the singing as it really added emotion to the event. 

But now we get to the big part... no not just big...

BIG!!!

As I said, I wondered how the Crusaders would get their cutie marks, and when they would get them. I heard some say that would be the series finale while others a season finale. I assumed that how it would happen is each of the Crusaders would go off on their own and find their own individual talents, but this makes things better. The three were inseparable since the beginning and now their marks show a similar bond. This contrasts Diamond's mark which she sort of knows what it is but not quite until the end of the episode. But I love the twist that the three realize that their talent is in helping others find their talent and if they have it how to better use it! I never expected this to be the episode that they got their marks, but I can't think of a more perfect way to do so! 

So what does this mean as the role player of Scootaloo you ask? 

Well, all threads she is in currently will be pre-cutie mark. Any new threads with feature her with her mark unless the other Crusaders wish to do ones before this event.

First 3/4 - 9/10

Last 1/4 -10/10

scootaloo_approved_by_ambris-d4rj4ad.png

Source: http://ambris.deviantart.com/art/Scootaloo-Approved-288106357

Deeply amazing, emotional episode for me. I teared up both during DIamond's solo song and toward the end. One of the best of the season, hands down. Up there with RariDash episode, last week's, the other Rarity episode and the premiere for sure.

Much like the Gilda episode, this kind of Diamond episode is something I've really wanted for a long time now and it was more beautiful even than I could have imagined.

Tsundere Diamond Tiara is Tsundere.

This was a crazy musical episode and I loved it.

That was a rollercoaster. At the start I was like "Yeah! You tell her Silver Spoon!" Then Tiara's song was feelstrain material and I felt bad for her. I loved what they did here all the way through till the end of the episode. They finally have their cutie marks and honestly... I feel underwhelmed. It just felt kind of cheesy. I like the idea of them helping others find their purpose but the "cutie mark crusading cutie mark" seems kinda heavy handed.

Since they're tying up loose ends, will Spike get development in S6?

Hey there, let's keep this on topic. It's worthy discourse to say "This episode would have been better if Spike was in it," rather than just rip on Spike out of nowhere. You're welcome to your opinions, just make sure you're putting them in the right conversation with the right context.

After many a song, spastic hype of character development, and some irritation that I now have to work my fanfictions a bit to take the new episode info into account, and many manly, manly tears later I have to say.

AWSOME EPISODE!!!!!!!!!

It really gives Tiara some well deserved character development, gives her a mother finally and after 5 seasons, we finally see the CMC get their Cutie Marks and this should make future rps interesting.

I have to say, the cutie marks were a bit of a surprise. Not at all what I was expecting, given the nature of marks. Seems a bit.....forced. Though I went back and looked closely at the marks of the CMC and I think I see an underlying idea. We see an apple over the shield, a music note and a thunder bolt. So perhaps the CMC have a duel nature mark. The Thunder Bolt for Scoots is self explanatory. Dare devil and stuff like Dashies. The music note for Sweetie Belle shows her music ability and Bloom...well she is an apple so maybe it has to do with her skill in building stuff in someway. Maybe, they are destined to help other ponies find their marks, but also they can use those skills such as singing, stunts and speed and apples to help other foals. Who knows I might be over looking into it.

Spoiled Rich. Filthy Rich. Diamond Tiara 'Rich'? The Rich Family?

my feelings are all outta whack, this episode left me absolutely exhausted - AKR will be missed, this entire episode was FANTASTIC from start to end.

Congratulations CMC's, MLP and every crazy diamond writing this show...and much love for Amy Keating Rogers, who I wish the best of luck in her career moving forward.

I'm ded, just ded...

I don't know if I have anything to say in addition to what's been said above.  I'll just say, as a player who's one cast character was a one-note jerk that I've tried to develop into somepony likeable... hats off to the writers, who did it in 1/2 an hour.  Top episode!

I don't know if I have anything to say in addition to what's been said above.  I'll just say, as a player who's one cast character was a one-note jerk that I've tried to develop into somepony likeable... hats off to the writers, who did it in 1/2 an hour.  Top episode!

Ha. I played two of those and with this episode now,  this season Amy Keating Rogers has redeemed both. :D

Maybe there will be a Blueblood episode someday too. :P

I still can't get over the most emotional part of this episode......

APPLEJACK DIRECTLY MENTIONED HER AND ABBY'S PARENTS!!! APPLEPARENTS 4EVAR!!!!!  :wail:

Oh, and the Diamond-CMC feud finally ended too. And new CMs to boot. I suppose that's good news too.........

I just... it's... wow.  Love the music.  Love the ep.-

Way back at the beginning of Canterlot, there was the IRC chat.  And suddenly one day in IRC chat, everyone became convinced that I should play Sweetie Belle.  So I app'd, and I got her.  And I'm still playing her.  I've enjoyed having her be so sweet, and trying so hard to be helpful - especially to her beloved big sister.  And especially in being devoted to her bestest of best friends.  I have always enjoyed the CMC, and I even love that they hid together in the very first episode when Nightmare Moon showed up, before they even knew each other.  I had a moment like that in college, where I have a photo of me standing next to two friends who would be with me throughout college ... weeks before I met them.  To me, the CMC would be forever the CMC.

In fact, BBB and I were working out a fanfic which would be called "Crusaders Forever".  It would start with Apple Bloom getting her cutie mark ... when she realized she cared more about helping Sweetie and Scootaloo getting their cutie marks than in getting her own.  A cutie mark for helping others get their cutie mark.  About how much being Crusaders together meant to them - About them no longer being Cutie Mark Crusaders, but allowing those with cutie marks to stay on as 'Cutie Mark Advisors". And it would follow through high school, and through college, and beyond, as they watched the Crusaders become a force for good in Equestria - helping hundreds of young fillies and colts get their cutie marks, while Apple Bloom went on to become a guidance counselor, and Scootaloo a sports star who worked with young foals, and Sweetie Belle as a caretaker - all devoted to helping young foals.

I also have already written a fanfic called "Friendship is Epic" where, in the future, Diamond Tiara becomes the Element of Generosity.

So for me, this episode was ... an eager waiting for everything I'd been thinking to come to be.  Nothing really came as a surprise, but everything was so wonderfully executed.  Except perhaps mother dearest was a little bit TOO overbearing, but... hey. Cartoon.  Everything is a little exaggerated, so that those with poor social skills and body language skills understand exactly what's happening.  Cannot be too subtle or you'll ruin understanding for those who need it most.

The first key moment in this episode was Silver Spoon finally saying, "That's enough.  Forget this abuse.  I'm done."  Good for her.  GOOD for HER.  Things have been getting worse and worse between those two, and I'm so glad she finally stood up for herself.  That was vital.  If she hadn't finally stood up for herself and let Diamond know she'd gone too far, Diamond would never have been open to change.  All too often, I see friends just stand by idly while their friends are jerks.  And they never want to say anything, because that'd make their friends feel bad.  It just keeps their friends caught in that same state, never able to change.  Silver Spoon's strength to stand up for herself is that vital thing that helped Diamond Tiara more than anything.

Then there was the moment where I looked over at BBB and said, "How the HECK did they manage to get me to feel sorry for that itchy-twitchy-rhymes-with-witchy there?!"

But overall, I was waiting for half the episode for them to get their cutie marks.  And they did.

What's more, I find it highly appropriate that their cutie marks ARE as they are.  They founded an organization which has been shown to be growing.  And I hope it continues to grow, and they continue to have CMC episodes as they found new chapters in cities all across Equestria.  They have identity both as themselves AS as part of something bigger than themselves... and their cutie mark moment keyed right into the very nature of the most powerful magic in the world - the magic of Friendship.  They stopped thinking about themselves, and they started thinking about everypony else.  It's no wonder their cutie mark flash was so bright.  They are not just friends, they are dedicated to the tenet of being friends.  That is their nature - to be friends.  To be loyal, honest, and kind.  This is not about their talent, this is about their priorities.

And they each have three cutie marks in one.

First:  The shield.  They are, now and always, Crusaders Forever.  Being together means more to them than anything - and being there for others.  Not just the three of them, but for ALL Crusaders, now and in the future, official or just potential.

Second:  The outer mark:  Wing / Apple / Star.  These are prototypical marks for Pegasus / Earth / Unicorn - something they have had a moment of realization that they represent what is finest about Equestria and in Ponyville, and it's important to them.  What's more, it represents specifically for them.  Scootaloo has had to realize that not being able to fly makes her no less a pegasus.  Apple Bloom is dedicated to family, just as much as the rest of her family is dedicated.  And Sweetie, like her big sister, has Star Power.  She just needs the self confidence to use it.  In World of Darkness terms, these are their 'Demeanors' - their outward-showing aspect.

Third:  The inner mark:  Lightning Bolt / Heart / Musical Note.  These are, in World of Darkness terms, their 'Nature'.  Their inner aspect.  Scootaloo loves living life on the edge.  Taking chances - either physical chances, as with her stunting and extreme sports, or emotional chances, such as the chance they took with Diamond Tiara.  Apple Bloom cares about ponies deeply, but she especially cares about helping ponies know their own heart.  Of all the CMC, she is the most CMC of them all.  That heart is cutie-ception.  It's a cutie mark about cutie marks.  And for Sweetie, that musical note - I've always known that music is how she deals with her life.  When she's happy, she sings to rejoice.  When she's scared, she sings a song to bring her courage.  When she's sad, she sings a song to bring herself around.  I just wish that they'd have her, more often, start off the musical numbers.

That they have individual cutie marks, but that match each other... just... it's so exactly right.

And finally, the implication at the end of the episode there - the photo taking.  The message to Celestia.  The use of the opening credits imagery ... implies that they've grown up.  They're no longer just the little sisters of main characters, they're not just side characters anymore.  They've graduated to main characters.  It's not the mane 6 anymore, it's the mane 9.

Before the episode, BBB handed me a box of kleenex.  Just writing this post makes me need them again.

This season has been about the main characters leading others to be heroes.  The CMC have just matched into the rest of the season, helping Diamond Tiara to be a hero at their school.  I expect at the end of the season, the mane six are not going to save the world from Glimmer by themselves.  It's going to be all the ponies they've helped to become more, joining together to stand strong.  And I hope that the CMC have a major role in helping everypony get their cutie marks again.  This season has been simply magnificent.  I cannot express properly how impressed I am with the storycrafting this season.

I also just feel so privileged at being able to be Sweetie Belle on these forums, and to be able to RP with all the wonderful ponies that I've played with on these forums.  The friends I've made here, and being able to share the delight in this show with everyone, has been an absolute privilege.

Archived