Some feedback maybe? (I paint)

Dust

So I started painting about a year ago and I don't paint too often these days. I've never really shared my artwork with anyone and I've always wondered what people would think and feel about my artwork.

I'm just gonna start by posting 3 of my paintings. I have more, but I don't have photos of all of em yet.

RhKhCxO.jpg

My very first painting. It's titled "Burnt Fuzz" after the anomaly of the same name from the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series.

r49DH7M.jpg

A recent piece entitled "The Past Is Alive".

HqjxeVr.jpg

This was painted during the same session as the one above. This piece is titled "The Present Is Passing".

As you can see, my work is purely abstract expressionist gobbledy-gook. I like to paint that way. Lots of freedom to exress complex ideas in simple ways. Usually I listen to Merzbow or Sunn O))) while painting. Kinda helps get me in the painting zone.

So, what do you guys think of what I've shown you so far? None of these are my best pieces in my opinion. I just wanna get some feedback from a wider audience than me and my hubbu (and the hubbu is not exactly the most cultured in terms of artistic expression).

I can't really describe abstract paintings.

All I know is that this look really nice.

Especially the first and second.

Tanks, I had legitimate motives and explanations for each but they're kinda preachy and dumb.

It is really very hard to critique abstract work as it is all very subjective.

However I will try! Your pieces are really very wonderful I absolutely adore the use of colour in them and the texture really adds something to them. Are these done on canvas?

I particularly enjoy "The present is passing". It reminds me of sitting in a bus looking out onto a street while the rain pours down. Which is fitting considering the title! The use of lighting is absolutely astounding.

You say you have more; I'd certainly like to see them! Well done these are brilliant.

I feel like they each have very deep meaning that they are meant to provoke.  I'm no painter, but I am a poet.  So I understand all the "corny explanations" stuff.  People tend to get confused whenever I start explaining, which makes me very sad. 

Still, mind telling us the meaning behind each painting?  I think that, even if we can't "get it", we'll all still try to :).

It is really very hard to critique abstract work as it is all very subjective.

However I will try! Your pieces are really very wonderful I absolutely adore the use of colour in them and the texture really adds something to them. Are these done on canvas?

I particularly enjoy "The present is passing". It reminds me of sitting in a bus looking out onto a street while the rain pours down. Which is fitting considering the title! The use of lighting is absolutely astounding.

You say you have more; I'd certainly like to see them! Well done these are brilliant.

Thank you, I'll try and get some photos of all of em taken care of. As far as material, some of them are canvas, some matt-boards and others are multi-media sketch paper.

I feel like they each have very deep meaning that they are meant to provoke.  I'm no painter, but I am a poet.  So I understand all the "corny explanations" stuff.  People tend to get confused whenever I start explaining, which makes me very sad. 

Still, mind telling us the meaning behind each painting?  I think that, even if we can't "get it", we'll all still try to :).

Thankies!

As far as meanings and explanations go:

Burnt Fuzz: While the name was borrowed from an anomaly from S.T.A.L.K.E.R., the painting was my first of this type. It was an experiment in Rothko-esque Abstract Expressionism. The theme of the painting is a warm fuzzy feeling. Hence the title.

The Past Is Alive: One of my most visually complex pieces. This was the first painting I had done in Colorado since I moved here in early August. I had just completed the one and only life goal I'd had for years: Leave my family behind, start again. This painting is in many ways a collection of emotions ranging from nervousness and uncertainty to teenage angst and regret. At the time I had painted this, I had already been in Colorado for about a month, just started working a job I hate, started managing a relationship 4 years in the making, begun accepting the new responsibilities that come with adulthood, etc. The goal of this painting was to capture sound and convey it as feelings. To be specific, I was laying in bed the night before and I was listening to the distant yet internal racket of auditory hallucination (caused by my schizoaffective disorder) and I noticed that aside from the few things I could make out, it was mostly just static and fuzz. The next morning I had decided to paint, using music to inspire my creative flow. The music I had chosen would reflect the blatant noise I had heard internally the night before. To be specific, the piece I chose to model the painting after is a song called Woodpecker No.2 by Merzbow. [i'll post the song in a spoiler box below.] So in short: the painting is an attempt to turn the song into an image while making it a personal piece. So I suppose the theme here is reflecting on the past.

The Present Is Passing: This is a piece that I am honestly not satisfied with. It's visually complex, but it wasn't supposed to be. As the title implies, the theme is the passing of time. This painting was made during the same session as The Past Is Alive but this was a purely personal piece, rather than an experiment into sound and image. The music used to inspire this piece was not harsh noise, but instead slow ambient. Specifically the song Stone In Focus by Apex Twin

Woodpecker No. 2 

Stone In Focus

Archived