Official Discussion Thread - S05E21 Scare Master

453444__safe_fluttershy_princess+luna_cl

I'm sure she won't need to see a psychiatrist after this, right?

It's Halloween, you know what that means!  Nightmare Night returns!  This time the spookiest night of the year will focus around the most timid of ponies!  No, not Marble Pie... Fluttershy! No doubt our pink maned pegasus is not much of a fan of the holiday, so how will she handle it when her friends want her to participate? Will Fluttershy be able to keep herself from drinking apple cider until she falls asleep to forget the fright? What adorable costumes will everypony dress in?  Will anypony have a candy coma?  Tune in to find out! The episode airs Saturday 11:30 AM EST on October 31st! :)<3

This thread is dedicated to discussing the episode before, during, and afterwards. As the thread is now open it may indeed contain spoilers. I ask that potential spoilers talked about or shown before the episode airs stay within the spoiler tags please, after the episode you no longer have to use the spoiler tags, but warning, if you haven't seen the episode yet after it airs, this thread no doubt will have all sorts of spoilers in reviews, images, etc. So tread at your own risk. :)

Why did they do the Christmas special BEFORE the Halloween special?!?!?! It's driving me nuts trying to understand it!!

This episode was originally intended to have been aired earlier according to it's place in the series, but scheduling changeups were made so that it would be aired now - there just aren't enough episodes after the hiatus point to make another hiatus until Christmas WORTH it to make sure that the christmas episode was on time, and they clearly wanted the CMC Cutie Mark ep to transpire on the 5th anniversary...as a result, the end result is what you see here, the halloween ep coming after the christmas episode that was intended clealy to have come after the halloween ep up until things were switched around.

Let it go, as Firefoxx said - the network had to make a sacrifice somewhere, and there just aren't enough episodes that'll last ALL the way to christmas anyway.

Meh episode.Really pushed Fluttershy into full irritate mode on a level I haven't seen before.

The random anime reference was fun and Derpy's costume, once I spotted it, was amazing. Also it had least a few amusing bits that kept it from being insufferable.

That bear is lucky that he didn't get blasted in the face with alicorn magic.

I was good and decided to respectfully watch this episode today. Despite the charm of having a Halloween pony episode on Halloween, it was more or less just a bottom-tier Fluttershy episode to me, the likes of which we've all seen before -- maybe sprinkled with a few fun bits here and there, mostly the Mane Six in their costumes and their hijinks.

I think the message was a good one; you don't have to like things that aren't your cup of tea, nor should you force yourself to like them. Maybe Fluttershy was a crappy choice for this because, well, most of the universe really isn't her cup of tea. It would have been a stronger message if, say, Rainbow Dash was invited to a fancypants girly tea party and just couldn't deal with it. The thing with the flowers also comes to mind.

I think Fluttershy as a character has potential to be really, really great, but as long as they peg her in these monologue episodes of overcoming self-doubt and fear, she will continue to be my least favorite. 

4/10, the lowest scoring of the season for me.

You just know the writers are running out of "Fluttershy is scared of something" plotlines when her fears stop being grounded in rationality whatsoever. Sorry to say, but this has been the first episode this season to actually leave me disappointed, and Season 5's been really good so far.

PS: What was Derpy wearing?

This episode was originally intended to have been aired earlier according to it's place in the series, but scheduling changeups were made so that it would be aired now - there just aren't enough episodes after the hiatus point to make another hiatus until Christmas WORTH it to make sure that the christmas episode was on time, and they clearly wanted the CMC Cutie Mark ep to transpire on the 5th anniversary...as a result, the end result is what you see here, the halloween ep coming after the christmas episode that was intended clealy to have come after the halloween ep up until things were switched around.

Let it go, as Firefoxx said - the network had to make a sacrifice somewhere, and there just aren't enough episodes that'll last ALL the way to christmas anyway.

You can also argue that Tanks for the Memories came too early because of the lack of winter for so long in Season 5.

To be honest with you... there's really not much I can say about this one.

It was pretty much an all-around decent episode.

AJ looked cute in her costume!! :blush:

Derpy in a Twilight costume was hilarious!! :razz:

It's too bad Fluttershy hates Nightmare Night that much, she could make it really fun from what this episode showed. :unsure:

But I guess it's makes sense with her character at any rate. She doesn't like seeing her friends in danger.

This was a well-balanced overall decent episode honestly.

I can't say much else about it.

Great episode!!

:D

Oh... whatever, this is the first time I've seen that happen.

I enjoyed this episode...Just lots of little funny bits....Like how they sort of take turns pushing Pinkie Pie on her skates...And now I believe we've seen all of the girl's own personal art styles with Flutter doing straight out Manga....And the bit with the skeleton Granny'. Yikes! Who would have thought they would have an Psycho reference in MLP? Or even a Friday The 13th one? Lots of funny little bits of animation... <3 And it seems we only have...four episodes to go? Ugh.

The message seemed to be "If you are a paranoid shut in that is afraid of literally everything, you are totally okay to continue to be that way, and it's justifiable to assign paranoid delusions to feed this  problem"

Seriously the bit where she rejects Pinkie's hard working candy bag, when she's silly about a party game, and a costume?

Everything that wasn't about fluttershy was fine - the episode actually suffered because of Fluttershy being made far more paranoid than she really needed or should be at this point...character development, wuts that?

Archived