Official Discussion Thread - S05E22 What About Discord?

large.jpeg

Could have an explanation for this, but nahhhhh!

It is the return for everypony's favorite trollfriend, Discord!  Oh c'mon, you know he is happier now that he has discovered friendship as he has discovered he can so completely troll his friends and not get into so much trouble! So what mischief is QDiscord going to cause this time for the Princess of Friendship? Tune in to find out! The episode airs Saturday 11:30 AM EST on November 7th! :)<3

This thread is dedicated to discussing the episode before, during, and afterwards. As the thread is now open it may indeed contain spoilers. I ask that potential spoilers talked about or shown before the episode airs stay within the spoiler tags please, after the episode you no longer have to use the spoiler tags, but warning, if you haven't seen the episode yet after it airs, this thread no doubt will have all sorts of spoilers in reviews, images, etc. So tread at your own risk. :)

That was a weird episode. It had a whodunnit mystery sort of vibe to it, but failed to deliver on any real expectation outside of the story morale, which was also weird. The whole thing felt kind of pointless to me, and amalgamated to 20 minutes of the Mane Six giggling and Discord being Discord.

5/10, slightly better than last week but it didn't really do much for me.

You thought it was Bellosh, but it was actually him, DIO!

As for the episode, during the watching I had a constant feeling that it doesn't really tie together. All the pieces were there but someone forgot the glue. Discord being Discord managed to salvage this one with his antics but it is definitely weakest of his episodes.

That seems to be the theme this season: really, really, really strong episodes that deliver on every front, and then the episodes that fall short. Very short. Hopefully we'll get a strong finish to the Season and can look forward to distant horizons of S6.

This... isn't going to be good...

Yeah...

I can't say anything nice about this episodes. At all. I just can't sorry.

Once again it may be because I don't like Discord.

But Discord OBVIOUSLY did this on purpose. I doesn't matter if Twilight learned something from it or not. It really doesn't.

The ending was about the only satisfying thing for me. Because turnabout is fair play. :roll:

Worse episode of the season thus far for me. If not possibly the worse episode of the whole series.

:unsure:

I'm going to try to explain why I hate Discord so much after this. I already typed it out. Stay tuned for that.

That seems to be the theme this season: really, really, really strong episodes that deliver on every front, and then the episodes that fall short. Very short. Hopefully we'll get a strong finish to the Season and can look forward to distant horizons of S6.

Good thing there's been a lot more in the former category in my opinion.

I waited a day to post here with my own thoughts as I wasn't really sure what to feel on this one. Ultimately, I would say that I thought the episode was okay. It had some amusing bits and in general I do like the concept and some of the execution.

My biggest problem is with how Discord was utilized. Make New Friends but Keep Discord brilliantly demonstrated how Discord could be used in post-Twilight's Kingdom continuity, as the sort of this manic and cunning character we're used to, but also as someone with a childlike naivety to them, with more to learn about friendship perhaps even than Twilight did in season one--someone who makes mistakes, sometimes dangerous ones, but really is trying to better himself. That in my opinion is how to keep the character interesting and developing--capitalize on the fact that as he said, until very recently, he had "never had a friend before".

He really shouldn't be put in this position of trying to teach Twilight oblique friendship lessons while simultaneously trying to goad her and purposefully leave her feeling slighted. That kind of thing worked in season four, but he was in a different place then. It just feels kind of disingenuous now after how it's all played out. Maybe I'm thinking too hard about it all and harping on something small, but I'm just putting it in perspective. Discord made about the worst mistake he could have made, betrayed his friends' trust, sold them out to Tirek and essentially allowed for Tirek to for the moment win, and yet Twilight still was willing to forgive him and stand by him as a true friend. "I'm totally going to make Twilight feel jealous and left out--it will be fun and she might learn something!" just does not follow something like that naturally.

It was otherwise okay though. Better than last week's mediocrity. Also better than the Spike episode (by the same writer) and maybe a couple others this season.

This was a confusing episode for me. 

I like the moral of how it's ok to be jealous, by like one of my favorite reviewers Dr. Wolf said, it was strange how it was presented. Discord has been reduced in this episode to a character just for shenanigans instead of holding much weight. As Rarity said, it was confusing watching Discord try and teach Twilight about managing her time with friends while prodding the Princess with his jokes. Everything also seemed drawn out, from the inside jokes and laughter to Twilight trying to replicate the events leading up to things. 

Perhaps the better way to go would to be instead of Twilight being jealous of her friends seeing Discord with them and being concerned and not trusting with him. This would tie more with Season 4 and be stronger that the simple "my friends have been affected by magic," plot shoehorned in at the end. If they took that idea through the whole episode then the result would be a story about learning to forgive and trust and tolerate others rather than "Twilight is jealous of her friends having fun without her." 

This episode felt a little off to me, especially since we have an episode like Make New Friends But Keep Discord. Discord knows what being left out feels like, and should have seen and understood what Twilight was feeling. Instead of rubbing it in her face, he should have tried to plan another get together with everyone. It would have made for a stronger entry, having him tell her "See, we're having fun! No need to be jealous about this weekend." Only with Twilight being Twilight, she would deny her feelings of jealousy, bottle up her emotions, excuse herself, miss out because of the walls she was putting up, and the cycle would repeat. Breaking that apart would have made for a stronger lesson, and Discord's trolling would have made more sense than "I left you out on purpose" did.

This was a contender to me for worst in season. :sleep:  It just didn't have anything special going for it outside Discord's usual shenanigans. There were a couple nice references in there. It just felt lackluster as a whole. 

Yeah, this one by far was the weakest of the season for me as well...Especially considering I thought we were FINALLY going to get an Discord origin story...Since he was left out of the 'Fiendship Is Magic' series. Once sort of assumed they were leaving it for the show. But instead we got this...hmm. And now we just have only three episodes to go! :scream:

Archived