Official Discussion Thread - S05E23 The Hooffields and McColts

knit_together_by_karzahnii-d5p6k0v.png

The challenge was to find a Fluttershy-Twilight pic that wasn't an obvious ship pic.

Well we had our Dash and Pinkie ship friendship adventure and our Rarity and Applejack ship friendship adventure, so now finally it is Fluttershy and Twilight's turn to be shipped, I mean go on an adventure! Did you know FlutterTwi was a thing?  I did not until I tried search for a picture of the two of them together.  Anyway this week's adventure deals with two feuding pony families! How many Appalachian stereotypes will we see? Will there be shipping fuel?  A new beloved one shot character? Tune in to find out! The episode airs Saturday 11:30 AM EST on November 14th! :)<3

This thread is dedicated to discussing the episode before, during, and afterwards. As the thread is now open it may indeed contain spoilers. I ask that potential spoilers talked about or shown before the episode airs stay within the spoiler tags please, after the episode you no longer have to use the spoiler tags, but warning, if you haven't seen the episode yet after it airs, this thread no doubt will have all sorts of spoilers in reviews, images, etc. So tread at your own risk. :)

I think I like Twishy a bit more now...

This was a cute episode. it had little weight to it, but it was just amusing, fun and super adorable. Seriously, both Twilight and Fluttershy were really cute. Like more than usual.

The conflict was basic, but it too was amusing, I thought. They got their all out of the silly feuders.

A bit fluffy, but I'd actually say this is my most liked Fluttershy episode since Keep Calm and Flutter On. She did nothing irritating and there were no irritating things around her. She was cute and she did what she needed to do to help others.

In comparison to the other map episodes, it was far beneath Griffonstone but I think it edged out Made in Manehattan for me.

I would say that there is a deeper meaning to this episode, at least that I am seeing. We saw how bad the mountains had been torn apart by the feud. How the animals were left with almost no food or homes. They let their feud tear apart their home and environment. To me that just kinda rings with me of our own conflicts and how much damage they do to the environment and the creatures that live in them. Eventually it just leaves nothing but barren lands.  

A war is never a good thing.

The only time you should ever go to war is when you're left with no choice but to defend your people.

This sort of war was caused simply by an act of disagreement, which is the most toxic way to start a war...

So remember, it's wrong to start a war based on a disagreement, because you'll leave a bad trail in the end, whether you win or lose. It's toxic; it grows from a small dispute to a big issue.

The only way it's right to fight is when you have to defend yourself from bullies and wicked men...

In school, you have adults to speak to about the trouble you have... If that doesn't work, solve it yourself (morally with physical force or verbally.).

As a nation, you have no superiors to look out for but yourself... That's why it's right to defend yourself.

The episode was ok. I couldn't get into the Hoofields and McColts as characters, and I felt that the explanation of why they were feuding was kind of forced in there at the last minute as a nugget of exposition. Necessary yes, but could have been done better than Fluttershy talking to an animal about it. I felt the adventure was too much Fluttershy centered to the point that Twilight was seen as a complete failure at solving friendship problems. It would have been better if the two worked more together that both that Twilight trying to do everything and then doing nothing as the roles were reversed with Fluttershy taking the lead.

The moral was good though about putting differences aside, something more than ever people need to relearn.

Interesting thing is from the flashback as told by the local critters, Piles McColt and thus the McColts in general, started the feud when he destroyed Grub Hooffield’s garden instead of simply building his planned shelter elsewhere in the valley.  It does make you wonder if each of the pair called in other family members near the beginning since initially there was just the two of them.

Although it was obvious why Fluttershy was called to the area since she has special empathy for animals, and more importantly, can understand them, Twilight’s only role that plays to her strengths though was her powerful magic and her authority (and that worked only as far as the two sides were willing to recognize it).  The only thing Twilight could uniquely do that actually help resolve the situation was use her immense magical powers to freeze everypony so they have to listen to Fluttershy, outside of that, Fluttershy could have had anypony along with her.

What was interesting as we have an idea of the limits of Twilight’s magic.  Freezing six is easy, freezing a large number is quite difficult and we had the sense that she would only be able to do it for so long before the strain became too much.

Wasn’t too fond of the Appalachian stereotype ponies there, made me cringe given the history, culture, and disadvantaged nature of the people these stereotypes were based on.

Well... I can say I liked this one more than the last one at least. :unsure:

Twilight being Twilight was the best part. :razz:

I kind of felt sorry for her when she kept trying all her " friendship solutions" that didn't work. :(

Fluttershy came to the rescue to resolve the problem in the end.

This one wasn't too bad.

:smirk:

I haven't seen the episode yet but I was REALLY stoked to see one based around the old story of the Hatfield and McCoy feud, it's a really REALLY interesting piece of history, and I think it's really cool to see the FiM people do a take on it! Very cool!

Now to actually WATCH the episode haha, but I am eager to see it omg.

Cute episode...I really liked the new location and character designs....

They were getting rather vicious at the end there...

2i9mo7m.jpg Either a hoof to the jaw or a shovel to the underside. Ouch! on both!

Meh episode. I just watched it today, if that says anything.

What I will say is that Twilight and Fluttershy were in full form for this. The two have an interesting dynamic that I don't think has been explored before, so it was refreshing to see them together for once.

The story and additional characters were all easily forgettable. 3/10. Not the absolute worst of the season, but definitely in the same group.

In the same field of thought as Rosi - I didn't even care to look for anyones reactions/thoughts about the episode after...the only interesting things were Twi and Fluttershy themselves, and that's really it.

Definitely one of the few I probably won't bother rewatching in future.

Archived