The Changing of Guards (Calling all Royal Equestrian Guards!)

Eh, are you quite certain this thread requires such a rigid system of rules? From what I gather, this RP is meant to run like like an advisory committee or think tank. Therefore, wouldn't a gathering like this one logically resemble more of a bog-standard office conference rather than a formal UN session? Especially since unlike a UN session, we won't be dealing with dozens of delegates.

It would simply be some clarification rules, nothing to rigid or fancy.  I just want to clarify the role of the chair, some behavior rules, and rules for notes.  It like a summit for members of an advisory committee. :)

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Righty!

PS: In retrospect, perhaps my Pummel sign-up post was a bit too intimidating, since I'm assuming most of you chaps aren't under his direct command. I won't have him issue infractions left and right, but he will still call serviceponies out for perceived incompetence or improper conduct.

I'd like to change my meeting attendee from Reveille to Wildflower, if that's alright. Navy needs more love, and I don't think it'd be proper to try and control two characters in an IC debate thread.

Please provide general details about your OC.  Pictures are optional.

Detail-oriented

Affiliative leadership style 

Lifetime of meritime experience

Well-rounded sailor and officer

What branch of the Royal Equestrian Army does your OC belong to?

Navy

What position does your OC uphold?

Ship Captain/Commanding Officer

What opinions does your OC have on previous attacks on Equestria?

Very preventable with proper training, awareness, and maintaining standards. Soldiers need to be on the lookout for anything that breaks the norm and investigate properly. Need to work with the public to raise awareness of enemy action, what they can do in an emergency, and finally that the military must take a pro-active stance to national security rather than re-active.

Also, the spoiler thing is a bracket command thingy. You type [.spoiler] then whatever you want in the middle, and close it off with [/.spoiler] just without the periods!

Like this!

I am making a navy admiral OC, and might (or might not) bring her in later on, depending on how the thread goes.

Oh, and I will tell you when it is ready, Imagination, so you can add my OC to the REA list you made.

If there is still an opportunity, I'd like to include my character. With the updates to the site, I decided to retcon some of my character's history back to what she was when I created her.

Night Watcher

(click link for bio)

Member of the Lunar Guard, the night division of the Royal Equestrian Army.

Staff Sergeant

Having seen the attack on Canterlit by Queen Chrysalis and the Changelings as well as Tirek, she feels that while the armies are equipped for minor threats they are not prepared for large scale attacks. Planning and executing countermeasures, however, are something she has yet to develop to counter such a threat.

Bet no one saw this coming hyuk hyuk.

Pvt. First Class Dawnguard, a young and energetic Pegasus serving in the REA. He's a good endurance flyer, but poor precision flyer, and has basic hoof-to-hoof combat skills. He is also trained to use a spear, though the current one he carries is ceremonial and wouldn't last long in a real battle. Dawnguard is eager to please and passionate about keeping Equestria defended, even though those traits are usually expressed in dramatic speeches and theatrical language.

Royal Equestrian Army

Private First Class

In truth, Dawnguard has taken previous attacks against Equestria in stride, at least in terms of "how could this happen". He of course dislikes any hostility against his country, or anything he might consider "evil", but at the same time has a rather foalish view that good and evil must always do battle, and it is simply his duty to make sure good emerges victorious. The fact that the REA has often failed to ensure that victory, however, is something Dawnguard fervently wants to change.

Oooh, Night Watcher and Naj in the same room, could be interesting.

Come to think of it, Scootalux, is where things stand between them after the last thread something we should discuss?

My assumption had been that while Naj somewhat enjoyed working with the others as comrades in arms, but was kinda uneasy with them given their introduction to one another, and that they all went their separate ways when it was all finished.

Oh you mean the Through a Glass Darkly? I can see that as a moment where they joined together but afterwards separated until it seems now with Naj meeting Night Watcher.

Scootalux: alright, so we're on the same page then.  We'll see how things play out.

Lyipheoryia: The rules as written raise a few questions in my mind.

Who appointed the chair in-universe?  From where do they get their authority?  What sort of decisions do they make, are they just the arbiter of the discussion or is there an expectation that they will decide something farther reaching?  Why can't ponies at the summit talk to each other, wouldn't note-passing be just as distracting (assuming ponies were whispering to each other, to avoid interrupting)?

Given that the participants range from a general to a private, and even include someone who isn't a guard, I wasn't expecting this to be so formal.  I was expecting some sort of town-hall-meeting style discussion, rather than a heavily structured debate.  Does this sort of gathering really need this level of mediation?

I am going to assume that Agile suggested the meeting, and advised his good friend Steam to do it.  They are just the arbiters of the discussion, to make sure nopony goes suddenly off topic or makes an irregular/offensive comment.  Note passing-because talking while others are talking is just plain rude in a summit.  The debate/discussion is not formal, it's just the chair and the notes that I wanted to address.  Everything else is a normal gathering.

The chair shall be one of my OC's (probably Steam Metal).

I thought Agile Speeds was your REG/Wonderbolts pony, though. Wouldn't she be a better fit for the chair than a random chain store owner with no influence within the military whatsoever? If you still desire a civilian as the chairpony, I recommending asking one of the alicorn princess players to take the role. If you have a specific princess in mind, perhaps I could help recruit them.

EDIT: Seems I'm a couple hours slow, but I still stand by my belief that the chairpony, if a civilian, should be someone of suitable stature.

I thought Agile Speeds was your REG/Wonderbolts pony, though. Wouldn't she be a better fit for the chair than a random chain store owner with no influence within the military whatsoever? If you still desire a civilian as the chairpony, I recommending asking one of the alicorn princess players to take the role. If you have a specific princess in mind, perhaps I could help recruit them.

EDIT: Seems I'm a couple hours slow, but I still stand by my belief that the chairpony, if a civilian, should be someone of suitable stature.

I am applying to play as Princess Luna, so once it is accepted, I can play as her as the chair pony, only if Lyi decides to roll with that of course, and until she is accepted

You're right...I suppose it would make more sense.  I was debating getting a Princess to act as the chair, but I couldn't come up with anyone at the moment.  I was hoping to get Princess Celestia (because she was present for almost all invasions) or Princess Cadence (present for many occasions)...  

Especially because this focuses as well on the Changeling Invasion, and Luna wasn't present.  Princess Celestia would seem to be best fit.

I might have some bias towards Cadence being the presider over Celestia.

Celestia knows more than she tells, and may be purposely keeping the military out of the loop on what thousand year old disaster is coming next (this could be to avoid a warlike response and widespread panic). I don't think she sees much reason to change things.

Cadence, on the other hand, is married to the head of the guard, and as she doesn't have a thousand years worth of secrets, so she may be a bit more favorable towards a more effective Equestrian guard.

But that's just my opinion.  :halo: 

I'm actually rather intrigued to see how this all plays out. I had someone recently propose a lecture-based thread for one of my WoE RP groups, and I just may use this Summit as a model if things turn out well.

In my capacity as a staff member however, it's my opinion that magically enchanted notes are a tad bit excessive. I propose that the same thing can be accomplished through the use of NPC couriers, who can stand at the edges of the room to deliver messages as needed.

Archived