[Spellbound]Hearth's Warming Gala(Members & invite only)

IceStorm

It seemed that Nocturne was a bit put off by the comments at first. As she had suspected to begin with, the stallion wasn't serious in claiming that somepony had spiked the punch, although it seemed his mood did lighten a bit when she mentioned the champony. Of course, that particular brand would lighten anypony's mood, and for a hundred and ten bits a bottle. Of course she bought the larger bottles because of the event tonight, but still, it was most definitely the most expensive part of hosting the gala, but considering how well all three of her shops were doing, she could easily afford it. She was also talking of possibly opening a fourth store in Seaddle sometime in the near future, as she had gotten some letters of interest from ponies whom had been in her canterlot store and her Hoofington store.

Right about this time was when Abracadabra had rushed over to Misty, and Ice Storm couldn't help but feel a bit sorry for the poor mare. She shook her head and gave a soft smile to Abracadabra as she apologized for the events that have transpired. "Please, no apologies are necessary. I know as well as anypony that sometimes things happen that are beyond our control. I myself have had experiences with that when I was much younger. Besides, nothing's been truly disrupted, so no harm has been done. With that in mind, I couldn't help but make a quick observation that may help with her control. Her magic seems to be deeply connected with her emotions, even more so than the average unicorn. Perhaps that could be an avenue worth exploring to help the situation and instead of worrying about the emotions, embracing them. I don't know though, I'm not an instructor of any kind, just giving some thought," she smiled to the mare.

"Misty, would you like some punch? Perhaps that will help calm you down, and I wouldn't mind dancing with you later myself. Tonight is supposed to be about togetherness, making new friends, and having fun, and I'm going to make sure that happens," she smiled to the mare. "Although Fire Heart gets my first dance. We're actually a couple now, and couldn't be happier," she said with a smile to the family as a whole before looking over and giving her marefriend a big smile.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Candles looked around, and she smiled and nodded.  It was beautiful, the décor perfect to the season, the ponies all happy and talkative.  The temperature was just right, the coldness outside simply sparkling beauty to the warmth of the gala inside.  Each pony was finely dressed, and the stunning fashion amazed her.  It surprised her, in a way.  Put her in a state of awe.  It reminded her of her past...the galas she had been to as a filly in the Crystal Empire.

The air was chilly and cold, but soothing at the same time.  The crystals sparkled in the limelight, and they strutted finely across the ceiling.  Crystal chandeliers lit by some magnetic force-unicorn magic, perhaps-flowed danced across the floor.  The music was quiet and soft, glittering of orchestra strings and humming harps.  There was a silence that drifted across the floor, a silence that only she noticed; and she alone.  Ponies drifted across the crystalized dance floor.  Dresses were swept up as if by an invisible wind, and silent hoofsteps followed in wake of the dance.  Her father, Marquis Azurite Crystalline Fyre, was the host the gala.  Directly descended from Princess Amore, the royal blood that flowed in her veins were as real as the one in her Changeling mother.  Her father had left to speak to some other royally important servant of the Crown, and she was left alone-in the wake of silence.  Perhaps it was an ironic telltale of her future hearing disability, perhaps it was just because her heart was not in the dance.  The silence had deafened her ears and scared her, but it had comforted her as well.

Candles froze as she remembered the next part, her pupils dilating in utter fear.  She was caught in her own trance, and the world seemed to stop.  She felt a strange, underlying tension towards her, although she couldn't pinpoint who.  That was a problem with being only a half-blooded Changeling, she didn't have a...full identity.  She neither belonged as a pony nor a Changeling.  The air seemed frigid to her, and her eyes zoomed in and out from all the guests and attendees.  She began to hyperventilate-it had been a while since her last gala event; and it had been even longer since she had been anywhere without a disguise.  To be blunt-she wasn't used to it.  She wasn't used to being seen without any lies or magic.  She lapsed back into her own thoughts, the icy memory of the gala turning frozen.

Suddenly, she could hear it all.  The music, the dances, the hoofsteps, her father’s loud voice.  All of it.  And it was loud.  But she felt it-too.  The deep inner flame that was being fanned as she listened.  The burn and pain of the feelings.  She felt it come across, and she was too afraid to say a thing.  She didn't know what was happening, except that something was happening.  Dark shadows seemed to dance out to her from the wall, and whispers of ancient spells hissed at her from each and every crystal.  The crystals seemed to turn black, and any love conjured from the gala in the room seemed to have been sucked right out by a harsh-sounding spell.  She felt the inner tremor within herself, a painful blast of darkness.  Then-she saw the shadow.  The image wasn't clear, but it scared her.  Something told her that it was wrong.  Something was wrong.  She couldn't tell what was wrong, but she knew something life-changing was going to happen.  Something bad.  It was the night Sombra began his conquest over the Crystal Empire.  The night he turned Princess Amore into solid crystal.

She gasped awake from her lethargic state.  Sweat beaded down her muzzle, and, for the first time, she noticed ponies talking to her.  Talking and talking and talking; words spilling out all in an illegible jumble of sentences.  Spilling and spilling and spilling.  She gave a shriek, and ran out of the main gala as tears began to pour from her eyes.

Well it seems that Java had most certainly got a really warm welcoming! The stallion had flinced to his marefriend’s sudden movements, whom had nearly teleported across the room to come greet him. When he had calmed down, and looked to Pressy with a broad smile, he gave her a big hug. Even lifting her off the ground a bit before setting her back down.

“Yes! Of course I brought gifts. It’s a small thing my family does this time of year. Every acquaintance that I know well enough gets at least one thing from us in our life time. A really well thought out thing.” He hummed softly as he quickly pulled out a sealed letter from his jacket, and handed it off to the mare.  He gave her a kiss on the nose then pulled away with his tone lilting a bit into a rhythmic pace.

“This is for you~. Frankly, I never understood the phrase ‘Great things can from small packages’. I always thought that a small thing can lead to greater discoveries. Or… at least a foalhood dream finally being realized. What ever that means, you’ll discover soon enough~”

The stallion then raised a brow as he watched an impressive display. It seems one of their newest members had becam- er… was a changeling all along! The stallion just allowed his grin to broaden with a warm greeting! Yes, it was a shocker… but the buck is quite open minded with inter-species exchange. To him… changelings were just ponies with an inconvenient food source… which makes stereotypical behavior perfectly understandable for survival. Doesn’t mean he needs to fear or hate them!

“Ah! Welcome Candles~. Good to see I’m not the only odd-ball race in this guild,” the earth pony hummed. Truth be told… the pony often wonders how the heck earth ponies were even considered to have “magic”. Working with plants is not black magic! It’s science and skill! Science and skill that ponies not related to the earth apparently suck at.

He then turned to Moondancer and Pocket Change. He looked them bother over… and dang did they know how to dress! Oh man… this is just entirely embarrassing… he had to have help to look this good. And here these two seemingly pulled it off on their own. He was thankful that his envious blush was hidden by his dark brown fur.  Maybe not long enough after receiving a very unexpected hug from Pocket.

“Riiiight… well the gift can wait! Because I would like to see the two of yours reactions in person!” The stallion chimed as he pulled out a thin box with mangled wrapping. Harshly written on in a fit of angst and rage, was POCKET CHANGE in all caps. Obviously the package it hides had much better care then what happened to the paper.

“Adventuring is always fun, and magic can get you far! But you can only go along the path you take if you can stand up to the adversities that await! Mm… unintentional rhyme.” He hands the box to Pocket Change. The package had quite a bit of wait, and when shook it made an audible clunking sound in several areas.

He then turned to Moondancer. His hooves clasped together as he pursed his lips. “Now… all that’s left is you! You were probably the hardest one of the three of yall,” The stallion drawled out. He then tapped his forehead “Many of the things I thought of were out of my physical abilities. So I decided to take a different approach.”

The stallion then pulls out…. What looks like a large… ridiculously heavy box that had taken most of the space in his utility bag. No matter how carefully the pony placed it on the ground, it still made an audible thud.

“Ff… that’s heavy…” The stallion rasped before stretching his back. “You made a guild dedicated to the research and discovery of new magic! A field so broad that the more you learn, it creates more unknowns than what it solves. Given that’s already enough on one’s plate. I will be more direct with this hint. This is a head start for you… created from some items from the “Fractal” branch of my family tree, plus items from other’s research they have collected… plus items from our magic research in Eclipse Aerospace Laboratories back in Canterlot.”

Then... came some really strange event. It seems that the Changling known as Candles had been waylaid by a panic attack. The stallion pursed his lips as he watched the mare go streaking out of the door. He contemplated following... but decided against it. He was... terrible when it came to cheering ponies up. Besides... it seemed that some other pony had ran after her... don't need to swarm the poor thing.

touchstonebanner_zps1493184d.jpg

Touch Stone hummed a little tune to herself as she trotted down the street headed for the gala. She knew she was late but that was no big deal! She was happy she was able to attend at all. Being an apprentice at the jewel shop came with its challenges, one of those being getting time off on a busy shopping evening to attend an affair such as the one she was heading for. The white unicorn could barely keep her feet from lifting so high that she might snag her dress and trip! She was positively bursting with nervousness and excitement! She had been a part of the guild for a while now and met some of the unicorns more than once but she had never really had a chance to really mingle with them at this sort of event!

The mare was dressed for the event in her finest attire. She apprenticed at the shop but she also worked there to earn bits. Touch Stone had saved for a while to be able to afford a dress from the famous Carousal Boutique. It was light blue underneath and over that was laid fine white lace that had little bits of sparkle in it. The result was shining and shimmering fabric that had the look of sparkling snow! She loved it and it was the perfect dress for the evening. Over the dress she wore a darker blue wrap over her neck and laid over her back. After this she had added her own personal touches. There were small gems into her mane and tail and also twined about her neck. All the gems glowed faintly from the inside from the unicorn's own special magic. All in all it was the perfect outfit and she was hoping for the most perfect night to go with it!

As she neared the location of the gala Touch Stone took a deep breath and trotted inside!

"This is going to be such a fun night!" She spoke to herself as she prepared to enter the room the gala was being held in. it was at this point that a changling came into view, running out of the gala, obviously shaken up. Touch Stone felt her heart go out to the changling. She knew some of them were drones but others had proven themselves to be welcome members of the pony community. Touch Stone knew one or two changlings had even been admitted into the guild! She had wanted to meet them and now maybe she could offer her help as well?

"Wait!" She spoke the word softly as the changling made her way by. Touch Stone wasn't sure if she would stop, but if she did the white unicorn would do what she could to help.

((OOC: Apologies in advance for the short post, it seems there've been a lot of posts in the last couple days and I just want to try and get back into the swing of things again.))

Okay. Good. Alright. Nopony seemed to have caught her in her little moment of indignity. Or at least, nopony was staring at her, so she was going to hope her little squeal had gone unnoticed. There was, however, suddenly another mare standing right close to her--had she sprinted or teleported or something to appear that quickly?

Darling, I really like the way you fashioned your hair, it's so... springy. It's so nice to finally attend one of these events and meet my fellow guild mates. I'm Witchweed Charm, and you are?

Was...was it Crystal's imagination, or did something about the mare's tone seem a little...forced? Blunt? It was hard to put her hoof on what specifically seemed odd, but something definitely felt a little strange about the way in which the green-coated mare had introduced herself. Still, there was no reason she couldn't be perfectly pleasant and polite to this new pony, was there?

Crystal adopted one of her brightest, most winning smiles. "Why, thank you, madame, honestly! It's so nice to hear that all the work I put into it has paid off!  And I certainly admire how you've done your mane, too! The pins especially are a nice touch!" The unicorn mare extended a hoof forward and offered a gracious little bow of the head. "Crystal Clear, glassblower extraordinaire and recently new member of Spellbound. It's certainly a pleasure to make your acquaintance!"

"Oh, I know, it is rather nice, isn't it? I've only joined recently enough to attend one of the meetings, and I'm afraid I was so distracted with practicing the technicals of new spells I didn't have much concentration to spare on meeting anypony else. Say, have you been with them long, or might you also be new to the ranks?"

14aittd.png

Cheerilee seemed... less than enthusiastic about the sight of a changeling out in the open. Ingrid Marie though offered a reassurance with the same hushed tone as before; “Not every changeling is loyal to Queen Chrysalis, mmkay. In reality, virtually every changeling who isn’t her subject is quite content to passively absorb love from ponies without kidnaping them. Don’t worry; Candles won’t do anyth-”

Ingrid stopped herself as her other partner seemingly threw caution into the wind by attempting to flatter the changeling girl. Not knowing much about Candles other than how incredibly unsure she sounded a moment ago, Ms. Marie’s first instinct was to stop Bramble Rose from intruding on the stuttering changeling’s space... Ingrid wished she acted upon them when out of the blue, Candles jolted out of Frozen Delights. Interpreting that act as a phobia-induced panic attack, the magic counselor put a firm leg on Bramble’s shoulder; “Let her go; that poor girl needs some space to herself..... Don't worry Bramble, I’m sure she’ll be back.....”

Not long afterward, Fire Heart greeted Ingrid and Cheerilee. “It’s a pleasure to be here with the rest of our guild,” Ingrid cordially returned the favor before stepping a little to the side. “Cheerilee, this is Fire Heart, one of the students at the School for Gifted Unicorns. She’s all set to graduate at the end of the school year!” A familiar scream briefly turned Ingrid’s attention towards the latest antics of Misty Magic, who despite numerous tutoring sessions, remained almost incapable of controlling her magic. Having long lost the sensation of urgency during such incidents, and seeing that Misty’s entire family was around to fix things up, Counselor Marie merely sighed before nonchalantly looking back at Cheerilee and Fire with a manufactured smile; “Fire Heart has a bright future ahead of her, if I do say so myself!”

Both Mighty Magic and Abracadabra listened to Ice Storm's reassuring words.

"Thank you, IceStorm," Abracadabra said, "for your understanding."

"And we will take your good advice to heart too," added Mighty Magic.

"And we hope to make new friends tonight, and perhaps, meet some of the ponies who have attended our magic shows."

"Indeed.  We realize 'show magic' is quite different than regular magic, but my wife and I hope we can be accepted here all the same."

Meanwhile, Misty Magic also listened to the words of comfort coming from IceStorm as her grandfather stood beside her.

"Thank you, Miss IceStorm.  I'll try not to have anymore, mishaps, tonight.  I didn't know you and Fire Heart were a couple, I'm happy for the both of you," Misty said, her face brightening a little.

"Now Misty, you see?" Professor Hoofcourt began to say, "just settle yourself down.  Why not have some punch?  I'll gladly bring you a glass."

"Thanks, grandpa!" Misty neighed as the Professor used his magic to pour two glasses of punch and levitate them over to their table.  "Hopefully, I won't do any thing less to draw attention to myself.  I would hate being in the spotlight all the time.."

Gasping in horror, Misty quickly covered her mouth with her front hooves, but to no avail.  Instantly, a bright spotlight from high above the room shown down on her.  Panicking, Misty galloped from one side of the room to the other, but the spotlight followed her every step.  Seeing the dilemma, Hoofcourt quickly created a magic bow and arrow with his powers that shot up towards the ceiling and shattered the mysterious spotlight.  Returning to her chair, Misty slumped back down with her head on the table.

"Maybe I should just use signhoof language for the rest of the night, it'd be safer."

"Crystal Clear, glassblower extraordinaire and recently new member of Spellbound. It's certainly a pleasure to make your acquaintance!"

"Oh, I know, it is rather nice, isn't it? I've only joined recently enough to attend one of the meetings, and I'm afraid I was so distracted with practicing the technicals of new spells I didn't have much concentration to spare on meeting anypony else. Say, have you been with them long, or might you also be new to the ranks?"

Witchweed took a split second to process all this new acquaintance had conveyed: a kind persona, complimentary, glass blower, and practicing new spells.

"In fact, I am also new to the ranks. I brew potions and here you are a pony with the skills to create a variety of glassware. Isn't that something? We may have to join forces in the future. Considering we both have ponies to meet, perhaps we could approach our fellow guildmates together?" Witchweed Charm suggested, scanning the room and a certain level of recurring chaos, quickly sorting it out.

It seemed some young unicorn was having a great deal of trouble controlling her magic,  a series of falling horsehoes followed by a spotlight on the loose, with a number of ponies gathered around her in assistance. Were they family? Witchweed shuddered at the idea of dealing with her family at a place like this.

There was also the changeling, who suddenly fled the room in tears and one pony calling after her- which all in all, was a simplification in the social dynamics Witchweed had to observe immediately in a situation she was sure was a delicate situation.

Then there was a pony giving gifts to members, she assumed, must be friends.

Which left the most unengaged looking ponies being the dark unicorn in a regal white suit, speaking to the mare in the gold, satin dress with... goggles about her neck? They made an intriguing pair, and more importantly, there was currently no magical mishaps or other distractions centered about them.

"How about those two?" Witchweed suggested, moving in Nocturne and Bevel's direction without giving Crystal Clear much chance to object, assuming she would follow or falter.

"Happy Hearth's Warming! My name is Witchweed Charm, that is such a charming suit, and that dress really complements your... ornamentation. My friend and I are rather new to the guild, and thought it best to make our introductions." Witchweed stated with just a hint of forced decor. She turned to see if Crystal Clear had followed or stayed behind and held her tongue a moment, eyes narrowed just a millimeter as she turned back to observe their reactions.

I guess there's no posting order here? Anyway, I'll try to reply to everypony I can, but because of the size of the thread, apologies if I miss a conversation.

There were so many ponies in attendance Fire Heart couldn't decide who to talk to first! The first pony though that responded to her welcome was the guest of Presteza who seemed a little off, like she wasn't used to parties. She gave the red unicorn a once over before introducing herself. 

"My name Is Bevel Gear."

"Well, welcome to Spellbound gala. Hope you have fun!" 

"We're happy to meet you, Fire Heart," Abracadabra began to speak, "our daughter speaks very highly of you."

"Well, I actually met Misty while I was at Princess Celestia's School. I was getting a review by Miss Marie and Misty I believe was interested in joining the school? It was a while ago so sorry if it was incorrect." 

"Wow grandfather!  I didn't know Fire Heart would be here!  I hope the dancing starts soon!  That's something I'm really good at.  Even my dance instructor back in school said I was very light on my hoofs..."

Oh dear... it happened again. Granted it wasn't as bad as before when Misty turned Ingrid Marie's office into a beach complete with palm trees, but it still was a problem. Her grandfather and parents though tried to encourage her to solve her magical problem, but this caused her to only feel more anxious. 

"Misty, I want you to think about not floating, but simply standing on the ground, ok?" 

Hoping this would do the trick of saving the hapless filly, Fire hear Moondancer. 

“Me and Pocket are doing wonderfully, thank you!” The moon-flanked mare also gave Fire a brief hug; “Oh tell me, did your dress melt Icy’s cold heart by any chance?” 

It was most likely no secret that Ice and Fire had been a couple especially among the duo's mutual friends. 

"Glad to hear that you two are doing well." Fire said as not long after Moony's coltfriend assisted in getting Misty to the ground. She was ok physically, but maybe not emotionally.

"Guess it doesn't matter anyway.  Now no nice stallion will want to be seen with me let anyone dance with me.  I feel as useless as a crooked horseshoe!"

"I'm sure you will find a stallion who will love you, just as I found somepony who liked me. I know you're struggling with your magic, but you know what? So did I as a filly. What you have Misty is a very interesting type of magic, to create anything your mind dreams up. Once you learn how to decide which can become reality and what stays as dreams then I think you'll be a very strong unicorn." 

Tonight is supposed to be about togetherness, making new friends, and having fun, and I'm going to make sure that happens," she smiled to the mare. "Although Fire Heart gets my first dance. We're actually a couple now, and couldn't be happier," she said with a smile to the family as a whole before looking over and giving her marefriend a big smile.

That put a smile on Fire's face at the promise of a dance with her. In the past she would be afraid to express her emotions out of fear of releasing her magic, but now she wasn't afraid of showing Spellbound how much she loved Ice Storm. 

"Well, it's a deal then," she replied as Ingrid introduced Cheerilee to her. 

“Cheerilee, this is Fire Heart, one of the students at the School for Gifted Unicorns. She’s all set to graduate at the end of the school year! Fire Heart has a bright future ahead of her, if I do say so myself!”

"Thank you," she said to her counselor, "I'm going to miss the school and learning there, but who knows? Maybe one day I'll come back. You know, I've been thinking of that time when we discussed my future, and I think that I'm looking towards teaching. I want to help ponies learn, especially young unicorns so they aren't afraid of their magic but learn how to control it and expand their skill. Actually, you seem to be like you're in teaching as well, Cheerilee. Are you a professor or a counselor?" 

Candles' was crying.  Tears poured down her face...she had just felt so...so...she paused for a split second to give a sharp glace towards the ball.  She didn't belong there, with all the ponies and cheerful fillies and colts.  She didn't belong there-not in the gala, not in the city, not in Equestria.  Huh.  It wasn't really shocking to her, to not belong; but it hurt all the same to feel it bloom into her face.  She had felt naked.  Bare.  Revealed.  Everypony saw her for what she truly was, not just as a Changeling, but as a coward.  A mare who couldn't handle things.  A pony with feelings. 

She had always considered herself strong, living through many hardships and dreaming the big dreams she would never achieve.  She had always hidden her feelings, something being Changeling helped her in.  Her breed were supposed to feed on love, and to be fine with it.  At least, be accustomed to it.  She never did get used to it.  Feeding off a creature that she played as for so many years.  A creature with feelings-just like her.

The other guests seemed to barely acknowledge her leaving, which both upset and pleased her.  She didn't want them to see her so bare and crying; at the same time, she wanted help.  She didn't want to be seen as a fool that required attention, but-in a way-she was and did.  She was conflicted and hurt, and she had run out all the way.  Help me...she longed to cry, but, as always, she never did say anything.

"Wait!"

It was as if her words had been heard, and somepony did care about her.  She stopped tentatively, before turning towards the mare.  In a single, soft whisper, she said, "Why?"

Bramble Rose felt a bit confused as the changeling completely and utterly ignored him and everypony else around her working to make her feel welcome, before spontaneously turning and running halfway across the room, before putting on a dramatic series of posturings.  Well, at least one of the many, many ponies who had tried to talk to her was being recognized, he'd leave her to handle the changeling.  Obviously she had no interest in interacting with the rest of them.

His mother's lessons, though, always had some advice.  Deliver your attention to those ponies who would actually appreciate your attention, she would say.  So, brushing it off, Bramble turned back to Cheerilee and Ingrid Marie, and a lovely young red filly who had just joined them.  "Fireheart," he said, smiling warmly to her.  "Well, I can see you're going to grow up to be a heartbreaker.  You look lovely tonight, and such high praise for your studies?  Brains and beauty.  Some young colt will be very lucky out there!"  He ducked his head politely to the young filly, then offered, "Might I get you three mares some drinks?  I see a table of food and drink just over that way."

"Why?"

Touch Stone's magic intensified a little as the changling turned. This caused the small gems throughout her attire to glow more brightly from within. She felt a deep hurt for this mare before her. Though she had not had many interactions with the changling kind she went off of what she had been told about the ones that were members of Spellbound. She decided the best thing to do was act and react as if this mare was another of her own kind. The mare took a tentative step closer to Candles, her heart feeling sadness and loneliness as she did so. Touch Stone had always felt a small bit of what those around her felt. Of course it was easier when those around her were happy and care free like most that were enjoying the gala right now. However, she liked very much to try to help those who were not feeling that way. This changling certainly had a great deal of inner turmoil going on. She didn't know why. She didn't know anything about Candles.

"I..." What was the best way to phrase this? She really did want to try to help. Her voice was very soft as she spoke.  "I don't know you or what's going on but...I'm sorry." Her magic glowed strongly in the gems once again before dying down to a soft gleam. She also wasn't sure how the changling would react to her gesture. Touch Stone knew that sometimes a pony just needed to talk and she wondered if this changling felt that way too.

2wmm3ux.jpg

Not noticing the blush she put on Nocturne’s face, Moony then gave Fire Heart a holiday-time hug too before parting ways; “Happy Hearth’s Warming, Fire!” It was at this point when Java summoned Moony and Pocket over with the promise of presents.

Pocket Change indicated what his fillyfriend already knew in advance; that the stallion had his presents for Spellbound delivered beforehand. “Same here,” replied Moony, who had also taken up Pocket’s idea of getting gifts for the guild members. Unlike Mr. Change though, Moony realized she’d break the bank if she wasn’t careful with her spending, so the vast majority of her presents came from the finest discount stores Canterlot had to offer. Still, the young mare hoped those gifts, placed under the tree with those Pocket purchases, would be appreciated.

At long last, Moony was finally able to say her Season’s Greetings to Java. “Left something for you too, Java!” the merry mare affirmed, swooping in for a hug herself after Pocket finished doing the same thing. Next; time to open Java’s present! Moony was really intrigued by her heavy gift, for by the sound of it, Java went all out in assembling it. Carefully unwrapping the wrapping paper with her telekinetic magic, Moony became even more curious upon finding something she couldn’t identify off the bat.

A quick scan of the present indicated a thick, professionally bound book, which took significant effort to keep floating in the air. The front cover displayed a title: A Ridiculously Massive Back Breaking Book Filled with Amazing Research of the Magical World. “Tehehe,” quipped the amused mare as she scanned the cover; “Well that’s a mouthful.” The only other identifying mark was a logo Moony didn’t recognize... possibly it was for that Lab Java talked about seconds ago. Once Moony opened the book, she first stumbled upon the contributors’ section; further skimming revealed the listings, detailing birth and death dates of the contributors, dragged on for a full 23 pages!

Only afterwards did the real meat of the book begin. Judging by the highly technical language and formal sciencey tone of the writing, Moony instantly realized this tome was meant only for the eyes of experts. She found what appeared to be original research notes scattered with pictures, figures, diagrams, and etc. Here and there, Moony caught references to experiments involving unorthodox mixtures of spells and/or misc. mediums. A silent gasp formed on the unicorn’s lips as she started perceiving what this gift really entailed. “Java... isn’t this like, a collection of all your family’s magic research?” If that was the case, it basically meant that Java was hoofing EVERYTHING the Fractals have ever discovered in their field of expertise over to Spellbound... including some potential trade secrets. Moony wondered if Java was fully aware of that possibility.....

Cheerilee winced as the Changeling shrieked and ran out.  Had the changeling heard her?  Had she made a major faux pas somehow?  Did changelings have super-hearing like in some comic book?  She cringed inside, giving a worried expression to Ingrid Marie.  But she didn't seem too upset at Cheerilee, so she decided to just ... move forward, the way everypony else was?

She took a deep breath, let it out, then smiled to Bramble.  "Yes, I'd love to have some punch, thank you, Bramble.  Or would you prefer Mister Rose?"  She wasn't sure of the Canterlot high-society rules for formal occasions like this, hopefully the rules weren't that strict as she felt far more comfortable with a first name basis.

When Bramble left for the drinks, she turned back to Fire Heart.  "And it's a pleasure to meet you, Fire Heart.  I'm a guest of Ingrid Marie's, and it's my first time at a Gala.  I would love to learn more about your magic club!  Or ... sorority?  Secret society?  Whatever it is?  I'm sorry, I sound so foolish.  I'm not really a professor or a counselor, I'm a primary school teacher.  But you're pretty close!  I guess it's similar, just at a younger age group.  Counselor, teacher, friend, sometime seven a surrogate parent.  It's a little of all of those at that age.  But thank goodness they're not all expert magic students, because that'd sure make my job harder!  They'd get in so much trouble..."  Cheerilee gave a little shudder.

MRi8qt2m.jpg

For the first time in the night, Bevel actually smiled. a small one that softened up her normally stony expression ever so slightly. The smile was followed by the faintest of laughter that ended almost as soon as it came, "Hm. I admit, that is probably the answer I would have given. I am Bevel Gear. May I ask your name?" 

The approach of another pony broke up the conversation for a moment.

"Oh... that's right it's Hearth's warming. Good evening... Witchweed Charm." The engineer looked over herself and honestly wasn't sure what to make of that little pause, whether this pony was being sincere or not she couldn't bring herself to care. She looked how she looked; no point in dwelling on it now, It's not like this was an aquellian Gala anyway where she really had to care how she looked on those rare occasions she needed to go. "Thank you." she said in an almost halfhearted tone, "I can't speak for this stallion but I am not a member of spellbound I was invited by an occasionally irritating painter who I wound up meeting on an expedition. She told me there were individuals similar to myself who valued the magical sciences greatly... So far I'm undecided as to whether she is full of it." She said rather bluntly before taking another drink of her punch, still held aloft by her magic.

"Well, welcome to Spellbound gala. Hope you have fun!" 

"... thank you." she said to the mare who had previously asked her her name. Not really sure whether or not she should... or even how she would continue this exchange...

The stallion she'd been getting a bad feeling from was apparently handing out gifts now... during the giving of one of the heavier gifts, Bevel's ear perked at the sound of a familiar (in more ways than the normal one) name; Fractal. Apparently this stallion was part of the family she'd left behind. She still wasn't sure who he was in the family but she made sure to simply return her focus to her conversation's participants while the brown coated stallion's marefriend grinned excitedly at her gift.

OtTO0GZl.jpg

"Ooooh mysterious!" chirped the excited painter planting a kiss on the cheek of the parcel bearing pony, "I didn't wanna risk scuffing your gift so I left it out on the lonely tempest after you left. It's nothin' as fascinating as this is but... I'm sure you'll like it!"  The scene that was made regarding the changeling seemed like something that would likely resolve itself so pressy decided to remain close to her friends. 

"so moony, how have you and pocket been doing since that adventure int he hollowshades?"

66i6wp.jpg

Pocket Change could not help but grin a little as his heroic but ever so slightly peevish pony pal was given a bouquet of hugs by an ever grateful mother. The white stallion was still not exactly what happened, but he knew the helpful pony saved the day! It was generally hard to concentrate on anything when his beloved Moondancer was so close. Thankfully, the stallion was able to keep the floaty pink and red hearts at bay. Pocket did feel a little sour in the stomach when he realized that it probably looked like he and Moony abandoned his companion when the pair cantered over to Javasun to see what goodies he had brought them. The white unicorn knew he would have to mingle with the assortment of other guild members during the event, but he promised himself that he would check up on Nocturne from time to time and make sure he was doing alright. Hopefully he will like the gift he brought for the broody unicorn.

"Erm." Pocket glanced down at his wonderfully wrap..oh dear. Apparently Java had been bedeviled by some sort of small tornado or hurricane while he attempted to wrap the present. But who was he to judge? The unicorn had done a few 'drunk-wraps' in his time. Besides, the wrappings would go in the rubbish bin, while the gift would last forever. Unless it was crappy. Then it would be re-gifted for next year's Hearth's Warming Eve. While he had assumed there would be a time set for opening gifts, it appeared his friend wanted to see them opened right away. So with a slight flick of his horn, a small box, covered with simple white wrapping paper and green velvet ribbons. JAVASUN was written in Pocket's painfully detailed writing. It was easy to write fancy when one could use magic!

Once his gift was in hoof, the pony carefully removed the wrapping from his gift. It appeared to be an shirt. But this wasn't some simple bit of clothing the pony purchased over at J.C. Pony's...It was

2ce5kqh.jpg

The label practically screamed. This actually was a very good gift! This wasn't something to wear on a simple dig, this was something one would toss on before going on a freaking Daring Do type adventure! One that involved horrible dangerous traps! Legions of unearthed evil! Ahuizotl! Pocket could almost feel the ADVENTURE oozing out from the very fabric! If it wasn't so darn cold outside, Pocket would have tossed it on and went on an epic quest that very minute! However, these sort of things never seemed to happen during winter. Evil cult leaders generally locked up their temple of dooms and headed somewhere south during these times. And even mad mummies kept themselves wrapped up extra tight until spring. There was also what appeared to be an repelling cable and harness included.

"Wow..Java..", the stallion gasped, "I don't know what to say, but thanks...", he couldn't help but grin, "I read about these in the trade magazines, and I wanted to get one of these, but the last time I checked, they were on a very long waiting list..", after taking another moment to admire the impressive bit of clothing, the unicorn carefully placed it back in its box. "I do hope you like your gift." Moondancer had also received a rather intimating tome.  One that would probably take her the better part of the new year to go through. "And I might as well." Another package floated over from the tree. This one was wrapped in glossy green paper that was marked with festive little Hearths Warming Eve Ladybugs. Only Moony would get the reference.

"Actually, things have been rather slow.", Pocket responded to Presteza's question. "With no digs and heroic adventurers to sign up for, I've actually had to get a regular old job.", he added rather glumly. "I've also been helping ol' Sprocket with his issues..Practicing my magic.", he nodded at Moondancer, "And doing little side jobs at the guildhall. It's amazing what a little paneling can do to a simple pair of old bookshelves."

Pocket's heart managed to sink a little further into his chest when he noticed something had greatly disturbed their new guildie. Thankfully, an cobalt blue and white mare managed to stop her from running out into the cold and unforgiving night.  He, like many ponies, were rather ignorant of her species and had probably only encountered Changelings during rather unpleasant times. The white unicorn had encountered the beasties during the royal wedding, and then later, during the invasion of Ponyville. It was rather easy to dislike them, as these were creatures of nightmares with their black carapace-like coats, webbed manes and tails, blue reflection-less eyes, fangs, bent horns, jagged ears, insect-like wings, and jagged holes in their legs.* Could he see a changeling as something more than a monster? It would take time...

Another gift floated by...This one landed near the tan and be-freckled mare.

(OOC: Snagged this bit from the Friendship is Magic Wiki!)

"In fact, I am also new to the ranks. I brew potions and here you are a pony with the skills to create a variety of glassware. Isn't that something? We may have to join forces in the future. Considering we both have ponies to meet, perhaps we could approach our fellow guildmates together?"

"Absolutely, yes! I mostly do little ornaments and figurines, but I also make sure to turn out vases and bottles and the like for my more practical-minded consumer base. Do let me know if you happen to be short a few vials, and perhaps we can work something out!"

Well, how about that! Not even a few minutes here and she'd managed to meet a guildmate and net a potential business deal! This was already looking to be a very productive night! "Yes, why not? We're come all this way, so we might as well make the most of it and make some more acquaintances! Let's see here..."

Oh. Oh, goodness, there was a lot more going on than she'd realized. She must have been more distracted by the shininess of the decor and Witchweed Charm's sudden introduction than she thought, because she was pretty sure that on a normal day she would have noticed--say--the mess of ponies attempting to deal with that unicorn's haywire magic. Or the changeling tearing out of the room in a tearful--wait, the guild had a changeling? A CHANGELING? Why on earth...well, she'd deal with that later, and in the meantime hope the guild's ponies in charge knew what they were doing admitting a changeling into their membership. That still seemed incredibly sketchy to her, though...

Crystal glanced back to her side, blinking at the empty space. "Miss Charm?" She was gone already? Surely Crystal couldn't have been distracted with all the going-ons for more than a few seconds! A hasty look around the room soon found the earth pony mare a ways across the room, apparently introducing herself to a dark-coated unicorn stallion and another mare with...goggles. Goggles, with a formal gown. That was certainly an...interesting look, but alright. Either way, time to play catch-up! Crystal took a second to regain her social face before trotting over to rejoin her new comrade.

"So sorry, Witchweed, I suppose I got a bit distracted by some of the commotion elsewhere. Things seem to have calmed down a bit, now, thank goodness." She gave the potions maker an apologetic smile, before turning her attention to the two other ponies. "Good evening to you both, and happy Hearth's Warming!" she greeted airily. 

"I..."   "I don't know you or what's going on but...I'm sorry."

Candles looked at the mare, and plopped down right where she was.  She was still crying, but she couldn't tell if it was from the panic attack she just felt or from the mixed-up feelings within herself.  The floor was hard and cold, but not unwelcoming.  In a happier day, she might had have fun slipping and sliding along the hall in her chitin-covered self.  In a happier day, she would be laughing and dancing within the gala and making plenty of friends-not sitting outside and listening to their joyous chats. 

To be honest, she didn't know what had happened.  Everything just crowded in on her all of a sudden, and she felt like she could breath.  Suffocation.  Maybe it was a fillyhood paranoia, a young mare's fear...who knew?  It had hit her all of a sudden, like a hoof slamming into from all sides.  All the aid left her lungs, and all the ponies' faces became muddled together.  They all crowded around her and talked.  The noise had become deafening, and their faces mocking and judging.  It wasn't anything like anything she had ever experienced before.  She felt...afraid.   

Her ears flickered, and she was once again reminded of her disability.  Reason flooded her mind, and the analytical part of herself began the diagnostic: The muffle and surrounding atmosphere of voices was due to her hearing disability and the inability of her ears to cope with all the sounds coming from all angles and sides.  The suffocation and hallucinations she felt and saw were due to a lack of love intake, and the paranoia she experienced was because she wasn't used to going around in her true nature.  She took a deep breath, Be calm, she told herself, It's alright.  Now-turn around to the young mare that's trying to help you and tell her you're alright.  You are fine. 

And so she turned around to face the young mare.  Any calm or reassuring thing that she wanted to say dissipated in an instant, and she realized just how truly she needed support in this...situation.  Unwilling to risk her ears by talking any further, she teleported her notepad and a quill from her homestead.  She looked at the mare in the eye, and wrote, Hel-

She couldn't.  She stood up and went over to hug the mare.

PHIf92S.png

...Right. Definitely absent-minded, if not outright dull.

Or just strange, with a small, mysterious little smile as if she had not only recognized her earlier faux pas, but admitted and owned up to it. Either or, that absent-mindedness wasn't one Nocturne liked to entertain from anypony, let alone a complete stranger, but there was something to be said for bluntness, and the dark colored Unicorn offered his name in turn - or he would have, if not for a sudden screech and subsequent fleeing of one Changeling like a bat out of Tautarus.

Huh. He could almost be grateful for the interruption.

But he wasn't, because the Changeling had easily proven Nocturne's concerns right off the bat, causing his pale gaze to narrow on her fleeing backside. The darkly colored Unicorn hadn't the slightest idea what had set the Changeling off - from what he'd vaguely overheard, the mares speaking with the Changeling had been nothing but cordial - but it was clear the chitin-covered creature could not handle herself in public, and just as clear that she had no business attending a semi-public event such as this.

Public was not the place to work through one's fears or anxieties or magical mess-ups, not when they caused scenes and troubles for all the ponies around them. It was undisciplined, insensitive, and downright rude, and anypony that had so little control of their very self needed to work through their issues at home.

Such an amazingly simply concept, yet it still baffled the average pony.

With the Changeling out of the picture and murmured conversation beginning to pick back up, Nocturne Wisp turned back towards the white mare, only a brief moment of wondering what in Equestria she had been saying before remembering his intent for an introduction and ensuing change of location. Easy enough. But before Nocturne could even open his mouth to carry through his aim, he was once again interrupting by two ponies suddenly butting in from whatever form of conversation they had been engaged in.

...Huh. He could almost be grateful for the interruption.

But he wasn't, because bucking hay.

If 'glare' was his default setting, then Nocturne was vaguely certain his expression had descended into an outright glower as the dark green coated mare with - what was that, a caldron? - on her flank oh so casually wished the two of them a Happy Hearth's Warming, as if it were the most natural thing in the world for her to do. Perhaps it was, though Nocturne wouldn't have taken a bet on it. The mare, Witchweed Charm, seemed somewhat tense or edged, even though her tone was jovial enough as she fired off a few statements faster than a Unicorn could levitate a feather.

The other mare, white with a prettily blued mane, did less charging in and less introducing in the same amount of breath her friend had, though with seemingly more sincerity. All in all, Nocturne was rather pleased with his patience as Bevel Gear spoke up some more, expressing an interest in meeting ponies who shared her enthusiasm for magical sciences, an area of magic that held little to no relevance to Nocturne himself.

He only contemplated setting the nearby holly on fire just once, after all.

"Thank you," the dark colored Unicorn grit out, glower still settling his eyebrows low on his forehead, "Happy Hearth's Warming." With a terse nod aimed at all three mares combined, Nocturne Wisp wheeled about towards the punch table, intent on having some sort of object to keep his horn and mouth busy - though that path faltered as he caught sight of the yellow mare from earlier sitting by, no longer in tears but now slumped against the table.

Hnnrgh.

Still, simply standing about looked awkward without something occupying his attention, and Nocturne was careful to keep his face set straight towards the punch, magically pouring himself a glass and moving away from the refreshments table just as quickly. He ended up near the Hearth's Warming tree, and though Pocket Change's gift to him was undoubtedly nestled between the other stray gifts littering the bottom of the trunk, the darkly colored Unicorn deigned to go digging for it. He could wait until the end of the gala. Or however long he stayed here.

Or, he might simply take it to his apartment after forcing Change and Moondancer with him, so he could present his own gifts. Change, especially, would be over the moon with his gift, and if Nocturne had to hide a smug little smile at the memory of the expensive Masterwork Adventuring Shirt he'd carefully and painstakingly wrapped up, well.

That was his own Taurtarus-baked business.

To say that Ice Storm would have been expecting that type of a reaction from the changeling that she had just complemented on her lovely dress and design, would have been like saying that She expected herself to be able to randomly spout wings, grow scales and start spitting fire everywhere. As in, it was totally unexpected, although unlike the scenario that just unfolded in her mind, apparently the changeling's reaction was the only one of the two that would have been actually possible. She watched as the Changeling bolted away, and it left herself torn. On one hoof, as the hostess, it was her job to make sure that her guests were happy and content for the evening. This poor mare was neither or. She wanted to go after her and speak with her, but she saw another unicorn that appeared to be heading towards the Gala stop and talk with her. She only hoped that wasn't going to send a negative image on her. She could imagine what it looked like. A changeling running away from a gala full of ponies? From an outsider's point of view, it would look like she had been run out of the guild, when that wasn't the case at all. She at least hoped for a chance to explain once the two of them returned, if they returned.

For now though, Ice Storm had to worry about the guests that she currently had inside of her store. Misty seemed to cheer up at the mention of a dance and that made Ice happy for the few moments before another small burst of magic made itself known, this time from simply mentioning a spotlight. Perhaps the solution wasn't as simple as she had perceived, but then again she wasn't an expert on how instruct magic or how to detect irregularities in it. She was but a simple ice pony with ice magic. Potent ice magic, she felt, but it was still just ice. At the end of the day, it still made fantastic frozen treats that ponies came back for day in and day out in the summer. She then gave the family a small nod as they moved further into the establishment and sat down at one of the few tables that r4emained around the punch area. She also watched as Fire moved inside a bit and began talking with the instructor, Cheerilee, and another pony whom she hadn't met yet. She would have to rectify that at some point tonight, but probably would be better at a time when there was three other ponies trying to talk with them.

About this time, She noticed the Mare named Bevel as well as two more new members of the guild speaking with Nocturne before he seemed to excuse himself. She wasn't sure if it was something that they had said, but he seemed to be a bit annoyed. Although from her first experience with him from the open house, it didn't take much, but at the same time she had very limited interaction wtih him to begin with. So it was entirely possible that she was simply misjudging him, and she felt like she should at least give him the benefit of the doubt. She smiled and excused herself from the doorway. She figured that she would give everypony a bit more time to mingle and for whatever stragglers there were to get into the shop before making the opening announcements of the Gala. She elegantly made her way over to where Nocturne was sitting after grabbing a glass of punch of her own before addressing him. "Would you mind if I joined you?" she asked politely in case he was just wanting some space at the moment.

14aittd.png

Ingrid Marie never confessed it to current or former magic students, but her heart always welcomed the prospect of unicorns interested in a teaching field. The counselor too recalled that student conference with Fire Heart which seemed so long ago. That day, Ingrid told the filly how one’s cutie mark did not have to place limits on one’s desired career path. It was through following this philosophy that the beige middle-aged unicorn found her calling as a magic counselor, and it sounded like Miss Heart took the counselor’s speech to heart.

As Counselor Marie smiled at the fire filly’s words, Bramble Rose jutted in with his usual display of flattery. While the stallion turned the flowery language up to eleven, Ingrid pondered how without Bramble’s black suit, other ponies would have seen his long mane and mistake him for a mare. In due time, the charmer offered to bring drinks to the three ladies, and Ingrid answered; “No I’m fine, thank you.” For her plan was to ask the hostess for a glass of wine; wine kept out of sight on account of the younger guests present.

Later, right as Cheerilee gave up trying to explain what she thought Spellbound was, Ingrid abruptly interjected with a knowing nod; “Guild.” Immediately afterward, the school teacher apologized for sounding foolish. The magic counselor didn’t mind the confusion; even she didn’t quite understand what Spellbound was supposed to be at times. With the way Moony and her inner circle ran things, the so-called “magic guild” resembled more of a cross between a community organization and an adventuring club for the magically inclined and/or curious.

While Cheerilee opted to shudder at the thought of magical troublemakers, Counselor Marie broke out into hysterics. Of course, cleaning up the spell-casting messes left by pranksters and hapless practitioners was part of her job description. Ingrid could go on for hours relating countless incidents over the years; especially after a drink or two. Yet before Ingrid got deep into storytelling, she desired to impart a final bit of wisdom to Fire Heart. “Well Miss Heart, if you‘re serious about teaching, you should consider volunteering as a practice hall monitor while you're up in college. Or if you want to start even sooner, become a tutor. That’s what I did when I was an upperclassmare at the School, just like you!”

Professor Hoofcourt, Mighty Magic and Abracadabra gather around the downtrodden Misty Magic and after a few moments, convince the young petite unicorn mare to give ‘mixing’ and mingling’ one more chance.  Spotting Cheerilee, Bramble Rose and Ingrid Marie together from across the room, the Professor leads the rest of his family over to them for introductions:

“Ah!  Professor Ingrid Marie!  So nice to see you again.  I do believe you are Miss Cheerilee, school teacher from Ponyville, am I correct?  Very wonderful that you could attend tonight!  And Bramble Rose!  I try to never forget a face or name, I don’t know if you remember me but I do indeed remember you.  May I introduce my family to you all?  This handsome stallion is my son, Mighty Magic, standing next to his lovely wife Abracadabra.  Perhaps you’ve heard of their famous touring magic act?  And this young mare over here is my own granddaughter Misty Magic."

“Er, I’ve met Professor Marie before..” Misty said nervously, looking more scared than ever at the face of the unicorn who once attempted to help her control her wayward magic.

“Splendid!” the bearded stallion neighed, “then you’ll have much to talk about.”

“Pleased to meet all of you,” Mighty Magic said.  “You are well known among education circles, Miss Cheerilee.  Maybe some time in the future, my wife and I could perform a brief magic show for your students?  Free of charge, of course.”

“Professor Marie,” Abracadabra spoke, “Misty spoke of your kindness towards her during your counseling session.  Bramble Rose, I’ve heard your name before.  Aren’t you involved with some project for the Royals?  I try to keep up with the news but it is often challenging with all the traveling my husband and I do around Equestria.”

Misty was now so frightened she couldn’t say a single word.  What would Professor Marie say to her?  Would she scold her for the obvious magical mishaps she had witnessed already tonight?  She looked up at Bramble Rose, quite a handsome stallion but the petite mare figured he was already spoken for.  Perhaps she could strike up a conversation with Cheerilee, if she wasn’t afraid of uttering another phrase that could turn into a magical ‘accident.’  All she could manage to do is turn her eyes towards the unicorn mare with the apple cutie mark and say, “Hello, ma’am.”

Before Cherrilee could answer her question, a purple stallion a few years older than she was introduced himself. Apparently her success in school went beyond merely the campus.

"Fireheart," he said, smiling warmly to her.  "Well, I can see you're going to grow up to be a heartbreaker.  You look lovely tonight, and such high praise for your studies?  Brains and beauty.  Some young colt will be very lucky out there!"  He ducked his head politely to the young filly, then offered, "Might I get you three mares some drinks?  I see a table of food and drink just over that way."

"Thank you for your compliments. Actually I do have a special somepony in mind already. I could use something to drink, perhaps if there's something hot like hot chocolate? Oh, and I don't think I caught your name." 

Before disappearing with her coltfriend, Moondance gave Fire a Hearth's Warming hug which made Fire smile being able to have such close friends. But now the attention returned to Cheerilee. 

"And it's a pleasure to meet you, Fire Heart.  I'm a guest of Ingrid Marie's, and it's my first time at a Gala.  I would love to learn more about your magic club!  Or ... sorority?  Secret society?  Whatever it is?  I'm sorry, I sound so foolish.  I'm not really a professor or a counselor, I'm a primary school teacher.  But you're pretty close!  I guess it's similar, just at a younger age group.  Counselor, teacher, friend, sometime seven a surrogate parent.  It's a little of all of those at that age.  But thank goodness they're not all expert magic students, because that'd sure make my job harder!  They'd get in so much trouble..."  

"Well, it's more of a club actually, a way for anypony to study magic. They don't have to even be unicorns as long as they're interested in learning. I actually found out about Spellbound from my school and a few friends, and in between my classes and studying have been visiting the place. There isn't really any structure, unless somepony wants to teach a class, but it's a place that ponies are able to study and even practice casting spells without danger. Theaching sounds like a wonderful career! I'm actually thinking of teaching, but I'm not sure if I want to teach magic to ponies who are just starting to learn it or some other subject." 

So many events swirled around her that Fire could hardly focus. She watched as Ice Storm carried out her hostess duties mingling with the members, and was the changeling crying? It disheartened her to see somepony upset at such an occasion especially during the holidays! Maybe if she had the time she'd reach out to the pony. But then Ingrid offered Fire some advice. 

“Well Miss Heart, if you‘re serious about teaching, you should consider volunteering as a practice hall monitor while you're up in college. Or if you want to start even sooner, become a tutor. That’s what I did when I was an upperclassmare at the School, just like you!”

"Hmm... you're right, those are good ways to start. I think I'll begin by tutoring ponies while I go to college. Thanks for the advice. It sounds like I'll be visiting Princess Celestia's School after all even when I graduate!" 

Touchstone stood near the doorway to the gala, not moving too much from her initial spot. She knew there was something deeply wrong with the mare she was speaking to. She could tell from her body language and from the little her magic could reveal to her. It was more of an inkling when it came to the magic side of things. She just had the feeling there was something deeply troubling the mare. She watched as Candles plopped down and continued to dry and then lifted her head a tad in surprise as the mare drew near.

Before she new it Candles was hugging her around the neck. Touchstone raised a hoof and wrapped it around the poor creature, pulling her in tight for a second before releasing her. She glanced in the mare's eyes, concern showing in her own. She really wanted to help Candles out but she also really wanted to attend the gala. In her current state, Touchstone wasn't sure if being at the gala was the best place for Candles. She decided to speak the truth to the mare. It was the best thing she could do for her.

"I'm so sorry about whatever has you feeling so badly." She produced a small light blue kerchief from her wrap and levitated it to Candles. "Here, this might help." After a moment she spoke again. "You know, when I feel hurt or confused I sometimes go on a walk to try to sort things out in my head. Maybe it would help you to try that? I'd be happy to talk with you later on tonight. It might be a good idea for you to have a little time on your own first to calm down." She offered her suggestion as kindly as she could. She wasn't trying to get rid of Candles or anything. The advice she had given really was what she tended to do when she felt badly. 

"I just want you to have some space if you need it but I also want you to know that you're not alone. There are ponies that will help you." She knew Candles was a changling and hoped the genuine interest she was showing would give the mare some strength.

"I can't speak for this stallion but I am not a member of spellbound I was invited by an occasionally irritating painter who I wound up meeting on an expedition. She told me there were individuals similar to myself who valued the magical sciences greatly... So far I'm undecided as to whether she is full of it." She said rather bluntly before taking another drink of her punch, still held aloft by her magic.

Blunt honesty was something Witchweed Charm appreciated, despite currently showing little herself. Her mother's voice practically rang in her ears 'Stop slouching' 'Be presentable' 'Compliment everypony, whether you mean it or not!'. The list of social rules and etiquette she'd instilled were annoying, but were the training wheels that helped her get through these sorts of situations.

"I'm afraid I am a potion maker, primarily specializing in the herb of my namesake. Beyond agrarian sciences and a small amount of botany, I am unsure if I would be able to help you much, though if ever our studies show some overlap or shared area of interest, I'd be happy to correspond with you." Witchweed said. After all, if magical science could enhance her potion making, or her potions somehow help in magical science, it brought her a step closer to her lofty aims.

"So sorry, Witchweed, I suppose I got a bit distracted by some of the commotion elsewhere. Things seem to have calmed down a bit, now, thank goodness." She gave the potions maker an apologetic smile, before turning her attention to the two other ponies. "Good evening to you both, and happy Hearth's Warming!" she greeted airily.

Witchweed smiled an actual genuine smile as Crystal Clear arrived. It was actually nice to feel like somepony was backing her up, not assuming the worst, and her kindness didn't strike her as quite as fake as her own. Between the two of them, they should be able to make introductions fairly easil-

"Thank you," the dark colored Unicorn grit out, glower still settling his eyebrows low on his forehead, "Happy Hearth's Warming." With a terse nod aimed at all three mares combined, Nocturne Wisp wheeled about...

Or not. A more gracious pony would likely chalk up his reaction to just having a bad night, but Witchweed was not quite that kind of pony, and a little too quick to take it personally. Her own brow furrowed as she glared after the dark colored unicorn, adding him to her long list of 'arrogant unicorns who would rue the day!', though few had actually rued the day- yet.

Still, she tried to shake off her soured mood and converse further with her newfound potential friends and guild mate. Though her tone had a trace of acid to it, it was not aimed at present company.

"It looks as if somepony is feeling rather unwelcoming. So good to see the Hearth's Warming spirit so readily in our fellow guildmates." Witchweed said, her smile just a teensy bit sinister.

"Well, Crystal, it looks as if my second encounter with a guild mate went less then well. Perhaps you should pick the next ponies we try to speak to?" she suggested, adding as she turned to Bevel. "Of course you're welcome to tag along Miss. I'm sure if there is a science pony to meet, we'll stumble across them eventually."

Archived