[Spellbound]Hearth's Warming Gala(Members & invite only)

IceStorm

Candles, or rather, Duchess le Chandelier, gave a small smile and greeted Fire Heart, "I'm Candles-I mean...I'm...Duchess le Chandelier," 

As the unicorn took to conversing with another, she took that moment to slip away...right into another's claws.  Nocturne, was it?  This stallion was strange indeed, blunt and very true to fact.  She took out a notepad and answered his question.

"I'm a fashion designer.  I love making dresses and designing original fashion, and that's my forte,"  

That's when it hit her.  She was a Pegasus.  She had felt much comfortable within her disguise, but she forgot that it was a Pegasus disguise.  She was a Pegasus, in a magic circle.  Oops?  

She looked around for a way out, a way to go and change into another form, or perhaps to go back to Candles.  But there seemed to be no way to leave... 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2wmm3ux.jpg

“That’s quite alright,” Moony attempted to gently decline Java’s offer to arrange a meeting with one of the book’s contributors; “I’m sure your relative has more important things to do than being bugged by somepony like me. T-thank you for offering, though!” Perhaps the young mare would take up Java on his offer though once she got around to reading that giant book of his. Before temporarily parting ways, Moony told the stallion; “Give me a moment or two Java, and I’ll fetch your present. Sit tiiiiight!”

Later on, Presteza pointed out a mare she claimed attended Celestia’s School. Moony gave this emotionless mare a good look, trying to remember if there was a name that went along with her face. The unicorn’s face did seem familiar, but no name could be summoned forth. Moony was positive though that the mare wasn’t in her same graduating class; “Uhhh, can you give me her name, Pressy? I think she might have been like, one of the upperclassmares, but I’m not sure yet.”

Eventually, Pressy pointed out a gift box that had mysteriously materialized to Moony’s side. “Huh, how about that...” the moon-flanked mare mumbled as she used levitation to inspect the ladybug-theme wrapping covering her gift. Before she managed to grasp the meaning behind the ladybugs, Moony noticed another wrapped mystery box by Pressy’s hooves. “Hey Pressy,” Moony pointed to the second package; “Looks like you got a gift too!”

Moony and Pressy had to wait for Ice Storm to finish her opening announcements before focusing back on their gifts. “So Pressy, does your present say who it’s from?” Moony asked, her attention focused on Pressy’s gift rather than her own.

• 3 weeks later...

66i6wp.jpg

The white stallion smiled as Fire Heart also pointed out what she believed their guild was. It wasn't yet out of its cocoon, but slowly it would soon emerge. What would it look like once the metamorphosis was finished? Would they have a cute little butterfly? A happy little magic club staffed by skilled teachers, both young and old? A place to learn magic from advanced spells, potion brewing and even item enchantments? Or would it be a giant silk moth that would destroy Canterlot? Probably not. Depending on how serious things became, would it be for the wise to drop the 'guild' name? Pocket Change assumed 'club' sounded too foalish. He could imagine a cute little cobbled together hut stuffed on top of a tree with a great big 'NO EARTH PONYES!!!1' sign. How about an Magic Lyceum? A Spell-Casting-Conservatory? 

And while he thought Ice Storm was trying her very best, they probably could have spent a little time before the event to plan a few things out. The unicorn felt a little awkward and somewhat aimless. He could almost feel his old friend's glower from where he stood. Thankfully, by a quick glance at his eyebrows, the clever pony could quickly calculate his former schoolmate's current mood, or the 'Nocturne Wisp Glower Counter'. It was probably around a 5.5. Which wasn't 'too bad'. And he was still in the ice cream parlor, which was a good sign. Before he turned his attention back to his small group, he noticed in the corner of his eye that their host was having a few friendly words with Wisp. This brought up another difference between the two friends. Even at his grouchiest, Pocket could be easily soothed by just a passing smile from a pretty mare. Would the icy pony succeed at chasing away the magic anomaly researcher's horrible case of the grumps?

Pocket could help but smile as he rolled dice under for gift giving and came up with a twenty!

"When I used to work at the bookstore near the college, we acquired a large collection of old O&O manuals from an estate sale. While most of the books were in poor condition, we had a few gems, like your book there, and even an original rule-book before the company hired a proper artist and also the rare module based off the scrapped Oubliettes and Ogres cartoon. Thankfully I was able to purchase a few of the books before the rest were put up for sale. My sister Docket was also able to restore some of the more er.", he tried to come up with a word, "decrepit books. However, the one you have was protected by one of those paper bag book covers we used to make in elementary school. It had a great big plus one written on it, so one could only assume they had to place some sort of protective spell over it." He had considered giving the book to his favorite game master during one of their sessions, but their previous group had disbanded after both Princess Cadence and Shining Armor's more important responsibilities had come up. Royal business, and possibly baby business. Would there be a royal prince or princess in the future for them? Probably. Maybe Java could start up a new group? Maybe an old-school first edition version of O&O with its meaningless ability scores, worthless thief class and cringe-worthy art. Why was the warrior wearing bellbottoms? And Pegasus pony's wings do not grow out of their flanks! It would be a hoot!

Once he had room to speak, the white unicorn sheepishly responded to Bramble Rose. "Sorry for the interruption, I'm Pocket Change, one of the founders of this happy little group. Don't mind me. I'm hoping to be of some use to his little shingding.", he gave off a somewhat squeaky smile as a small 'whisper' cantrip formed. This whisper was sent to Moony.

"What the heck should we be doing?"

PHIf92S.png

...What?

Nocturne Wisp was well aware a disbelieving scowl had taken over his face, but he honestly couldn't find it in him to care as the Pegasus answered is inquiry, with the most ridiculous answer imaginable. Has she simply not heard the first part of his question, where he'd specifically pointed out her inclusion in a magic-based organization? A simpleton could have made the connection from his inquiries, wishing to know her major area of magical studies, not whatever project or occupation she engaged in outside of Spellbound. "Fashion Designer" told him absolutely nothing about why she had joined this magic guild, what she hoped to obtain from it - not even what sort of magics she was interested in.

"Nocturne Wisp," the darkly colored Unicorn introduced shortly, barely biting back the much more acerbic response he wanted to give in favor of a curt, "and that doesn't answer my question."

Perhaps she was simply nervous, a newcomer - Nocturne would label the sky as pink before he pretended to be a veteran Spellbound member, but he'd attended the Open House, which was the most recent ceremony for additional members to have been added. Plus, no other ponies were coming forward to greet her, so she certainly wasn't an old member. Either or, she seemed confident enough, at least enough to get her bearings after her first initial hesitation, and that meant a distinct lack of sympathy on his part. 

It didn't take long once Ice Storm left the stage of the ceremony and the band for the pony that she was looking for to make her way towards her. Truth be told she was actually looking for several ponies and trying to figure out which group she wanted to go and mingle with at the moment. That decision was made for her though when Fire Heart approached her from the group that she was with and tapped her on the shoulder with a hoof. When she asked if she missed her, Ice Smiled and leaned in and gave her a fairly long kiss on her snout. "That I did sweetie," she replied looking around the room once more. "Aside from a few set backs at the start, I have to say that I think I've done a fairly good job with this Gala. The only things that have gone anything that could be considered wrong were events that were outside of my control to begin with. If I didn't know better, I'd say we were still in Ponyville. I'd expect this kind of stuff to happen there," she giggled to her marefriend.

"That said, I requested the band to start with some slower pieces so that we could get some good dances in. You know, since I'm not the best at dancing so the first couple of dances would be me learning not to step on your hooves. What do you think of the atmosphere I've created? I thought the chandelier was a nice touch and it complemented the paint nicely," she smiled as she levitated one of her frozen chocolates over. "Chocolate? I made them myself!"

Almost as soon as she offered the chocolate, one of the other ponies that Fire was with had trotted over. It was Ingrid, one of the head counselors from the School for Gifted Unicorns! While Ice Storm herself didn't know the mare personally, anypony that had went to the school of magic knew of her name. She didn't remember having any classes with her though, but she could just be remembering wrong as well. Her past was a mangled mess of things she wanted to remember and things she didn't so it was no surprise to her that she couldn't put together anything out of that part of her life. She waved the counselor over and smiled "Hello there, care for a chocolate?" she asked levitating a third one over for her if she accepted.

"I'm Candles-I mean...I'm...Duchess le Chandelier," 

To say that Fire Heart was confused was an understatement. For starters this pony was a Pegasus, and while Spellbound invited all types to learn magic this mare seemed to know as much about magic as a unicorn. Then there was the name mishap. Wasn't the changeling named Candles? Very suspicious. 

"Well it's nice to meet you Duchess le Chandelier. I must admit I'm not current on fashion, and up until now I only knew one fashion designer. Anyway, welcome to the Spellbound Gala." 

That I did sweetie," she replied looking around the room once more. "Aside from a few set backs at the start, I have to say that I think I've done a fairly good job with this Gala. The only things that have gone anything that could be considered wrong were events that were outside of my control to begin with. If I didn't know better, I'd say we were still in Ponyville. I'd expect this kind of stuff to happen there," she giggled to her marefriend.

"That said, I requested the band to start with some slower pieces so that we could get some good dances in. You know, since I'm not the best at dancing so the first couple of dances would be me learning not to step on your hooves. What do you think of the atmosphere I've created? I thought the chandelier was a nice touch and it complemented the paint nicely," she smiled as she levitated one of her frozen chocolates over. "Chocolate? I made them myself!"

"I think this is a fantastic job you've done," Fire said returning the kiss, "Everypony seems happy and the atmosphere is great. You're right though, there are some things that can't be controlled no matter how prepared you are, but thatnkfully nothing major has happened. As for dancing, I have to tell you the truth. It's been a while since I danced with somepony, so I might be rusty. So I won't worry if you step on my hooves as long as you are ok with me perhaps stepping on yours." 

She smiled as her marefriend brought over a frozen chocolate which Fire tried. 

"Wow, these are great! You should really sell these at your store. Ponies will be lining up for them!" 

14aittd.png

Ice Storm’s question snapped Ingrid Marie out of her daze. “Oh uhh, what’s that Miss Storm?” The magic counselor was getting her bearings straight; “You have chocolate, mmkay? Hmmmm, I guess I’ll have a-” WAIT, something was coming back to her mind now... A-HA! Ingrid finally remembered what she wanted to ask the hostess about! “On second thought, you wouldn’t mind breaking out the wine for this old mare, would you?” Punch was okay for the likes of the actually not-all-that-old Counselor Marie, but wine was better.

F8AQIIUl.jpg

"I specialize in a few fields but mostly I stick to the blending of technology and magic... I have also extensively studied spatial based magics." She said with another swig of her punch, still held at her side by her magic. Her expression hadn't changed by much by the time she'd followed Witchweed to the rest of the group, in fact it seemed a bit hardened as she got closer to the stallion who gave her that ... off feeling.

jCrcZ1Ml.jpg

"Her name's Bevel Gear, she said she actually studied aetherology and I remembered that you were a student of that too." She smiled eagerly at her friend and guildmate, hoping she'd done the right thing and not have kindled some sort of age old rivalry with a classmate. It was then that her attention was brought to package with made her eyes light up! Hooray for Hearth's warming! 

The mare's eyes scanned over the package before she finally saw the tag, "From Pocket change!" She said with glee before she carefully began to unwrap it. Eventually sliding out what was inside without harming the paper and grinning from ear to ear. "A replica of the great artist, Reignbrandt's Paintbrushes!" For a moment it seemed like the painter teleported sans flash with the speed at which she swiftly hugged pocket change and thanked him profusely.

Bramble finished up his hug of Java, and took a moment to kiss Presteza's hoof in greeting, glad to see her again.  "Ah, don't remind me of that ... "  He looked to Java.  "Another old college friend, you might remember ... Fungus Amongus?  Nice chap, means well, can't remember anything that doesn't have to do with mushrooms?"  He chuckled and shook his head, looked to Presteza.  "Yeah, we were frat brothers, and kept meeting every so often after college for a regular card game, until that ... fell apart.  No money, just forfeits, but it was a rule that we couldn't reveal how much we embarrassed each other."  He tapped the side of his nose, winked at Java.  "But I could tell you a few stories about your coltfriend here... you're a cute couple, I am so happy you found each other.  We should totally get together for a card night some night soon!"

He then blushed a little at Professor Hoofcourt's compliment.  "Ah, Professor, and every class was your best class.  You're too kind.  I can't wait to hear about your research together.  I, myself, have managed to finally get a very nice royal grant to research the ruined landscape of Tirek's Waste."  He turned to Ingrid Marie.

"Thank you, Ingrid, for inviting me along!  I'm running into old and new friends all over the place!  Such a wonderful party.  I'm so grateful."

He looked back to Java.  "Well, Java already knows this, but I'm not sure everyone else does..."  He looked to Cheerilee.  "I'm not forgetting your question, just ... got caught up in the moment.  There really aren't a lot of unicorns down that way, and your guess is right on the nose as to where I'm talking about.  My father's of the Agave Family - a farming family, producers of the finest tequila anywhere in or out of Equestria!  And they're not at all unicorns.  I was always the odd one out there.  But come harvest time, any back was a welcome back."  He waited a little anxiously.  While he wasn't ashamed of his fathers' family, or his earth pony blood, he was never entirely sure how others would respond.  His aunt, after all, was not the most welcoming of that sort of thing... and if you couldn't trust family to understand...

“Ah! This will be put into good use then,” The stallion hummed happily as he put the old manual into his jacket’s pocket - where it’s volume somehow disappeared off of the face of the world. Maybe he should start up a new game. Dive back into the days of the old where the character creation system was more complex than higher order differential equations. Back when Cthulhu was actually a part of the world of Axefall. And ponies wore ridiculous assortments of colors on needless pantaloons. Ah… those were the good days.

But the stallion’s reminiscing came to an end when Bramble had mentioned the card games they had played. The stallion raised a brow to that as the other male gave him a wink. Sure, a mathmatican could have some terrible luck when it came to cards… but at least he wasn’t the one that had to do the worst of the dares.

“Well, if you’re heading out to the Tirek’s Wastes, let me know. That landscape’s jagged enough to the point that if you’re not as nimble as a goat, you’re not getting through in a reasonable time. I also got some things I can loan you.”

Cheerilee listened as Misty magic explained how she didn't feel teaching was right for her.  it was true, it wasn't easy to speak in front of a bunch of excitable foals.  It was even harder to have to keep control and make sure the day's lessons were getting through.  And then there was the stress of making sure you were always a good example and never, ever made a mistake.  Most ponies weren't up for that challenge, Cheerilee knew all too well that anytime a substitute teacher was needed, they were hard to come by.  "Well, working at the postal service is a good civil service job too; I heard that they actually give excellent benefits to all their employees and there is always room to work up the ranks.  So what do you exactly WHAAA?"

Cheerilee instinctively jumped backwards as small table of fresh pies suddenly and inexplicably appeared right before her, her rose adorned hat flying off and smacking poor Prezzy right on the snout.  "Whaat, how? Where?  Did you do that, Misty? That was pretty amazing!  I mean, a little unorthodox and unexpected, but I swear I didn't even see your horn glow it was so fast!"

Cheerilee retrieved her hat bashfully, apologizing to Prezzy for the mistake, and belatedly found herself listening to Bramble's story of his family.  

"Oh, so I guessed right!  I've actually been to Mustangia once, on a vacation.  I love to travel.  It was rather rural - makes Ponyville look like a big city!  Did you grow up there?  I've never actually met a unicorn out that way.  So your mother was a unicorn, then?  And what brought her out there?"

14aittd.png

Ingrid Marie eagerly responded to Bramble Rose’s gratitude; “Oh, I thought you’d have fun tonight. Didn’t realize you already knew a couple of our members though. Hmmm, perhaps that’s what I get for not getting out as much as I should, oh ho ho ho ho!” Assuming that another guild member didn’t make an offer before the night was through, Ingrid seriously considering asking her friend to join Spellbound. If the Gala was any indication, Bramble would fit right in!

2wmm3ux.jpg

“Bevel?” Moony repeated the name provided by Pressy, the gears in her head turning at a faster pace; “.....Oh yeaaaah, I remember her now. She was the girl who always fiddled around with machinery after school. Kinda like how Twilight always read her books; both of them weren’t the type who made friends back then.” An excited smile appeared on the young mare’s face; “I guess Bevel’s changed too; that’s awesome!”

Moony flashed an even brighter smile upon realizing her gift also came from Pocket Change. However, she held off on shredding the wrapping paper; it felt wrong to open the present without her boyfriend being around to see it. Oh, the moon-flanked pony swore she heard Pocket’s voice whispering to her just now too, but honestly, it was kinda hard to make it out from the loud ambiance of the Gala. Plus he was elsewhere chatting with his pals.

Either way, it made no difference. Moony followed Pressy as she dashed over to Pocket and his Gala buddies, with the wrapped present hovering right behind. Pocket Chaaaaange...” she interrupted the hugging moment, mustering the greatest pout face that a pout-challenged young mare could hope to muster; “Did you really think you could just sneak a present over without being forced by pain of death to watch your girlfriend unwrap it?”

66i6wp.jpg

Pocket Change was rather happy to see that Presteza was pleased with her gift. "I'm glad you...ooof!" Alright, she was very pleased. Thankfully he knew the painter-pony long enough that picking up a gift for her was rather easy. He also just happened  "The salespony mentioned there's some sort of enchantment already placed on these brushes. Not sure what it was, but I'm sure it mentions it on the package." While she did tell him what it was, the salespony was so overexcited about the product she broke out into a babble, which turned into an jabber and ended with an prattle. In mid-jabber, the stallion had already drifted away.

An 'Bramble Rose' mentioned something about 'Tirek's Waste'? What the heck did that mean? From what he heard, the majority of the buildings that had been destroyed in Ponyville had been restored, with the exception of the former library, which just looked rather sad.  There was still the surrounding countryside that might not ever recover, considering that there were large tracts of lands that had been pulled up and tossed about by rather powerful magic. The stallion was still rather disturbed over the fact that his own magic had been ripped from him and used against Princess Twilight. And even worse, he never got a refund from that stupid magic show.  Maybe he meant the land where that monster had come from? What was the name? Still, the unicorn was curious...."Tirek’s Wastes?", he asked Bramble and Java...

"Erm?", Being so curious about what the pair had been talking about, he was caught off guard by his sneaky mare-friend. And she was being a pouty-pony. Had he seen her make this face before? Sweet Celestia! It took the stamina of the gods to keep him from summoning a small horde of his illusionary hearts, and while he did not see any form, a few did scatter through Ice Storm's shop.

"Of course not!", the stallion grinned back, "Wouldn't miss seeing your reaction for the world!", he waited patiently for the mare to open up her gift....

(OOC: Those in the crowd might get bopped in the head by a free-form, floating low-light illusion of a pink or purple heart. But knowing how things go, Nocturne Wisp will probably just get bopped by them all.)

The small smile that was on Ice Storm's face grew a bit as she heard her marefriend speak about her chocolates, and how that she had felt that she had done an amazing job with the Gala so far, aside from the minor events that she didn't have any control over. Fire added that the atmosphere was great, and that so far everypony seemed to be having a good time. She gave a nod and Fire spoke of the dancing, telling her that it had been a while since she had danced herself, Ice giggled a bit. "You don't have anything to worry about from me," she replied with a smile before turning her attention slightly back to Ingrid, whom appeared to be interested in the wine that she had.

We a smile she started heading over to where the punch table was, motioning for Fire Heart and Ingrid to follow her over. When she got there, she used her magic to lift up the table cloth that was draped down to the floor, covering the entirety of the table and pulling a bottle of the Maroët-Chanpony from the chilled cooler that she had prepared for it as well as a few wine glasses as she poured a glass for Ms. Ingrid, Fire Heard, and herself. "Here you go Miss Ingrid, hopefully it's as good as all the reviews say it is," she smiled before turning to her marefriend and raising her glass to a toast. "To forever!"

The dance with Ice Storm was nothing short of magical. Despite saying she knew little of the art, Ice danced very well with her. As the music wound down, the red unicorn planted a little kiss on Ice. 

"Thanks for the dance," Fire said before hearing that Ingrid was seeking some wine. She followed Ice over to where the blue unicorn pulled out a bottle from under the table. 

"To forever!"

"To forever!" Fire replied as she raised her glass, "And to our great hostess, Ice Storm!" 

She blinked at the stallion, and frowned at his rudeness.  He was saying something, but she wasn't quite sure what...by his actions and look, probably something about her answer.  She shrugged and took out her notepad and wrote again, "Well-it's a question, and optional to answer properly, isn't it?  It keep the mystery comin'"  There, an answer that could work for whatever question he had ended up saying again.

She posed with a smile, like some mystery detective.  Her eyes searched for some way out to transform back into her Changeling self...or...perhaps, to just leave the Gala.  It was getting a little confusing for herself, she decided to keep it all up.  She saw a few ponies raise a toast, and she herself reached to grab a drink to thank the marvelous hostess.  

A little bit of fear sunk into her as she tried to find a way out....What if somepony discovered her little mess-up and kicked her out of Spellbound?

PHIf92S.png

So she was being purposefully obtuse. He should have figured.

From answering his first question with a completely nonsensical and unrelated answer, to commenting on his next with a designed purpose not to answer at all. Furthermore, it was clear that the Pegasus had absolutely no intention of paying any sort of attention to the conversation, her eyes wandering around the Gala with little purpose or direction. Either she was outright avoiding him and his inquiries, or she was so self-centered and concerned only for her own thoughts that she wasn't even strictly aware of the rudeness she was attributing with her wandering eyes. 

And that was not something Nocturne technically disapproved of - how could he, when he was much the same? - but he made no pretenses to pretend himself otherwise. 

In any event, coy smiles and obtuse statements did not a conversation make, even in the face of his curiosity. The Pegasus obviously did not wish to converse, and so they would not converse. Without another word the dark colored Unicorn whirled around and walked back towards the side of the dance floor, careful to avoid stepping out into the actual area where a few ponies were already paired up and dancing the night away. At least, he would have been careful, if a thrice-begone heart hadn't suddenly smacked into the side of his face, causing Nocturne to falter sideways in his steps. It spoke to exactly how low he'd fallen that he didn't even need to turn his head to see where the heart had come from, only scowled and rubbed a hoof against his cheek as cheers and exclamations from the toasting surfaced around him. 

This was...ridiculous. He'd been...

He'd made his rounds, spoken with the hostess and met some of the other guild mates. Mission accomplished. It was another second of Nocturne standing stone still to one side of the room, half on the dance floor and half off, before he made his decision, sweeping back around and towards the entrance. There was - yes, there was Pocket Change staring intently at Moondancer, the two of them wrapped up in their own little world. The two gifts sitting on top of his kitchen counter momentarily drifted through his mind, but Nocturne Wisp squashed the image, already making plans to visit the post first thing tomorrow. The holidays would slow things down, certainly, but the express delivery would still be an option.

A better option than one more second of this.

The chilly air outside of the shop hit him like a slap in the face, the lamp-lit streets a far cry from the warm glow inside. Muffled quiet instead of riotous laughter. Everything was comforting about it, made him breathe easier than he had the entire night, and Nocturne sucked in a grateful breath of air before he continued his way down the street, his dark form slowly but assuredly blending into the dense atmosphere of a snow-lit night in Canterlot. 

[[ Exit ]]

Professor Hoofcourt smiled widely when Bramble Rose mentioned the Tirek's ruins.  As the elderly bluish stallion was about to answer, he couldn't help but notice Pocket Change seemed to be listening to the conversation also.

"Indeed Bramble, that was quite an experience," the Professor said before glancing over in a different direction, "Say, aren't you, Pocket Change?  I remember you, young stallion, how have you been?  Do you know Bramble Rose?"

Misty realized that Cheerilee have spotted her latest magical mistake and that the petite unicorn mare couldn't redirect the attention away from it.  This was the moment Misty decided to confide in the mare teacher.

"I, guess you noticed my little magic mishap here.  I come from a legacy of magical unicorns, the great Professor Hoofcourt Magic is my grandfather, and I'm the daughter of the show magicians Mighty Magic and Abracadabra.  I do have strong magic also, I, just don't know how to control it sometimes.  That's why, the pies appeared here and why I was flying around the room tonight.  My horn flashing, often it's completely involuntary.  I have to be very careful what I say or I could trigger more unintended magic.  Well, at least this time, I made pies.  Glad I didn't say it was a piece of cake.. OH NO!"

Instantly, all of the pies on the table transformed into cakes, already pre-cut into slices.  There is a wide variety of cakes with colorful frosting and different colored textures.  All Misty could do was grin a little, hoping her latest magical error wouldn't scare Cheerilee away.

• 3 weeks later...

*OOC: Sorry for skipping players, but I kinda want to move along with this one subplot before this RP comes to an end.*

2wmm3ux.jpg

“Come on!” Moony gently yanked her coltfriend Pocket Change away from the group towards a more deserted area of the Gala floor, over near the present stash. With a measure of privacy, the mood felt intimate enough for Moony to begin unwrapping her present, which of course she did with telekinetically shredding the wrapping paper. As it became revealed, Pocket’s unconventional choice in ladybug wrapping paper was a clue as to what lay hid. Beneath was a jewelry box, and inside was a necklace... one with a silver ladybug pendant.

The unicorn mare inspected the opened box in her hooves for several moments, grinning as she embraced the challenge of deciphering the meaning behind Pocket’s gift. She was a clever mare, and it didn’t take long to remember her boyfriend’s story of when he first laid eyes upon her. As the tale went in her recollection, Pocket was attempting to muster the courage to say hello when Moony’s attention bent down to look at a cute ladybug she just happened to notice. In the process, the stallion evidently lost his nerve and ran off flustered, like he saw something his eyes were never meant to see. It wouldn’t be until Spellbound’s first meeting when Moony finally became aware of Pocket’s existence.

When she was done reminiscing, Moony closed the jewelry box and enveloped her beloved in hug, one hoof still clutching the present. “Oh thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!” Any reminder of Pocket’s deep devotion never failed to awaken feelings of bliss in Moony.....

jCrcZ1Ml.jpg

"Oh? an enchantment?" The mare looked down at the box and noticed some text on the side, her eyes lighting up as she read. "This is so cool!, Thanks so much Pocket!"

A mischievous grin spread over Presteza's face as heard Bramble Rose mentioned the stories he could share, "I'd love to hear -all- about 'em." She gave the purple stallion a grin before going to look to java just as a mysterious hat went soaring through the air and hit the painter's freckled snout. But not just any part of the hat manaed to make it's acquaintance with the mare's nose... no it HAD to be the one part of the hat that had a pollen bearing rose on it.

The painter's nose already began to twitch slightly as pulled the hat away from her for it to be taken back by the owner with a quick apology. "Why did I ha-hah... have to skip the allergy pills tad-aahhhhh... ahh." The painter scrambled about on her person trying to find the magical disabling device she'd gotten a while back to assist with these... outbursts like the one that was incoming. 

"Ahh... ah... AH-TCHIEW!" The mare's horn lit up bright and a powerful gust blasted through the room in all directions around the inadvertent summoner of the magical reaction. A few hats were blown off the heads of ponies... for at least one of them it being the second time tonight, The wind also rustled a few ballgowns and those closest to the source of the wind would find their manes had been turned into great fluffy balls of curls atop their heads.

"Ehh ahh..." Seems she wasn't quite done...

HLzggX1m.jpg

"OH for pity's sake." The unicorn with the dreadlocks disappeared in a flash of yellow magic and stood at the painter's side. Immediately she places a ring on the mare's horn and just as Presteza let out a second sneeze, those who might brace themselves found nothing followed.

"If don't want to be a burden on other's that put a cap on your horn whenever you're -not- traveling." Bevel grumbled something under her breath and returned to the group once more. "If a fully grown mare can't fully control her magic I still don't understand why a magic guild would even bother letting her join." 

"Did you say something about the centaur tirek's battleground with that princess, Sir?" Bevel's tone was slightly inquisitive. "I don't remember which one was fighting. I only read about it in the paper back in Aquellia ... sounded frightening. I'm assuming you plan to get some aetheric readings and the like there? If you need any spare equipment for that I'll lend you some of my own, provided you share the data recovered."

Gqu1u2z.png

Bramble smiled to Pocket Change.  "A pleasure to meet you, Sir.  I'm sure you remember the time not too long ago when everypony's magic was stolen?  Tirek's Waste - singular - is the range of land where the thief battled against Princess Twilight.  I happen to live near there, so we're rather a bit more familiar with it.  The region of their fight is still completely torn up, and displays atypical aetheric phenomenon.  Princess Twilight's castle is right near there, as well, and she was quite eager at my proposal to fund a scientific study of the area.  A good amount of money, though not so much I haven't been visiting a few entrepreneurs here in Canterlot, looking to augment the funds for further research - not to mention, what wealthy businessponies don't enjoy having their names attached to a bit of rare science?"  His dam always had taught him not to be stingy with the funds he sought.  There was never such a thing as too much funding, or too much research.

Now, when Bramble had been in college, there had been several professors whose pyrotechnics and random laboratory accidents had made the students swiftly gain good reflexes.  And he certainly wasn't going to comment on whether or not Professor Hoofcourt was one of them while the old stallion was standing right there.  Nonetheless, he'd been exposed to Prezzy's explosive magical reaction to flowers several times before, and at the first sound of her sharp intake of breath, he was already flinching and his horn glowing with green light.  Not one shield, but many small green shields appeared in front of Cheerilee and himself, like petals and leaves of a flower - not strong enough to withstand any sort of focused blast, but quite enough for the unfocused explosion of an uncontrolled magical reaction.

But like a true gentlecolt, he pretended like it had never happened, instead turning to Java and Bevel as he continued the subject very nearly interrupted.  "While equipment is, of course, quite appreciated, and I would be glad of the opportunity to consult with you - I find myself in the exciting position of having enough money to purchase or rent the equipment I need - though in some instances I'm starting to think I'll need to invent wholly new instruments to get proper readings ... not my strongest field.  What I'm actually looking more for is talent.  Ponies who would be willing to attach themselves to the study for a month or three - or the full year's length, even - to really study the underlying aetherics.  I can, of course, offer a modest remuneration, but the real pay off is, as you say, Miss Bevel, the knowledge.  Though the less I spend on equipment, the more I'll have to attract qualified mares and stallions in fields of their expertise.  So much science to be had!"  He had a calm demeanor and his tone of voice quite appropriate for a Canterlot Dinner Party, but his eyes were afire with the eagerness of a scientist looking at something that made them go "That's new..."

2JpqytA.png?1

"That's me.", the stallion smiled back at the retired professor. "We've run into each other before, usually at our guild meetings. I always wanted to get you as a magic teacher back when I was a student, but I usually ended with somepony far less experienced." Poor Pocket lost interest in furthering his magical studies during his later years in school. He kept up at the spells he absolutely needed to use, but had no interest in learning new spells if he would never use them in the real world. The white unicorn avoided serious magic study until he helped set up the magic guild not that long ago. And his beloved Moony was very helpful with his training as well.

Bramble Rose? Had he run into her before? Thankfully as the rather striking pony got closer, the unicorn was able to quickly figure out that the he was talking to a stallion, not a mare. So unless he could read minds, Pocket was free of a second 'whoops' as this would have not been the first time *

"Oh yes, I fully recall the Tirek incident." Next to business with the Changelings, that would probably be the stallion's second worst experience in his young life. "I was attending a magic show with my sister in Canterlot. She won two tickets at a raffle at work, and considering that we rarely get to spend time together, she got me to go.", he sighed, "I did not even have time to blink when that despicable draconequus revealed some poor, emaciated centaur who proceeded to drain the whole lot of us.", he shuddered as he remembered the entire experience. "Felt like that vampire sucked out part of my very being when he drained my magic." Not only did he lose his magic and what felt like his soul, he also fell and landed on the sticky theater floor. Onto his keys, where he laid there for what felt like an eternity. And Twilight got a freaking castle? Seriously? When did they have time to build that? And the idea of the still ruined lands where they fought interested him. Maybe he and Nocturne Wisp could check it out? Pocket quickly glanced over to where he had been seen before and noticed he was gone. Completely. Oh dear. Pocket felt HORRIBLE. He had spent so much time ogling his beloved mare friend that he did not even notice when his old friend had left. What would he have to do to make it up to him this time?

Presteza's happy words of thanks quickly pushed the pony out of his gloomy state. How could anypony be upset when the painter pony was nearby? Moony and Presteza! A double dose of happy-horse! He was pretty impressed by her painting, but when her magic was applied to her works, it just made things even more impressive. He would have to get her to paint his portrait. Something with Moony. And speaking of the perfect mare..He felt the room move as she playfully 'ushered' him somewhere a little less crowded.  He kept a somewhat lopsided grin as his marefriend unwrapped her present.

It was not that long ago. Moony was a pony he had seen many times before during his childhood. She was the smart kid, and later the cute nerd. But well into his teen years he had noticed something different about her. What was it? He needed to ask her something, what it was had been lost to time. As he got nearer, he noticed she had been distracted by something? A mouse? It was an lady bug and there he got a really good look at her. No longer was she the cute nerd, but a GODDESS! How could he dare to bother her? She would probably see his gawking face. Or maybe the two zits on his face that could be seen through his coat! He was not worthy! And before she could even get up, Pocket Change was gone! He would not dare to approach her until a few years later.

"Thought you would like it.", the stallion had AGONIZED over what gift to give her. He spent days trying to think up the perfect gift! And while gift cards were generally the idea present from lazy ponies, he realized he needed to get something special for his marefriend. He returned the hug in kind and silently wondered what she got him. Although what he was getting now was probably the best gift in the whole 'gala'!

Spoiler

YFcKBcI.png

Twilight had once regaled Cheerilee with a monologue over the difficulty of transformation spells when they were having lunch together - advanced and powerful spells that only high-level unicorn magic users could hope to learn after years and years of study.  This young unicorn was certainly gifted, but it was obvious she still didn't have control over her natural abilities.  The earth pony stood there for a moment with a wide but nervous smile, awkwardly in awe over the sheer power mixed with the nervousness over that same lack of control.  "That's... Incredible!  Did it take you long to learn how to do that?  I can see why you are part of this illustrious group.  I'm sure with their help, you can improve your control over your gift."  All she could think of was to lean on her educator's knowledge to give vague but kind advice - what did she know about unicorn magic?

The blast of the sneeze came at the same time as a blinding flash of light, and Cheerilee flinched away from it.  When she tentatively opened them again there were several green, translucent barriers of energy shaped like flowers floating in front of her.  She was tempted to touch one with her hoof out of curiosity as they were intricately beautiful, but they faded away before she could, "what is going on here..."

Several guests had their manes blown into what looked like giant cotton balls.  Cheerilee quickly felt her own head, but her mane seemed fine - whatever happened, she'd avoided it, most certainly thanks to those magical petals.  It didn't take long for her to put two and two together given that Bramble was similarly unaffected.  "Thanks, Bramble, that was some pretty quick thinking!"

Cheerilee was growing increasingly distressed, even though she avoided the latest magical blast.  She could handle being the only earth pony among a bunch of unicorns without a second thought, she could handle being an outsider at some fancy society's ball, she could handle not knowing what to talk about with members of an exclusive magic society, but the continuing magical mishaps were getting to her.  Except for Twilight, the unicorns of Ponyville were nowhere near this potent, and Cheerilee had never seen such a lack of magical control from the princess.  She needed to do something, anything, to distract herself, before any sort of panic set in.

Cherrilee trotted up to Bramble and pulled him right from whatever conversation he was having, pulling him up close to her so their muzzles were almost touching, "you, me, dance, now, let's go!"

“Bramble my good friend! You’re starting to hurt my feelings,” Java chuckled softly as he pulled out a small black notebook and offered it over. The book was flipped open to a section where apparatuses both simple and complex in nature had been conceptualized. There were small indexing numbers at the bottom of each pages with some sort of coding to relay some information back to its owner.

0xFC3201FF, 0xFFFFFFFF… things of that nature. If Bramble remembered his old frat mate well, he’d remember that each letter and number was simply four check marks compressed together, representing up to fifteen different combinations each. But it was also a way to represent numbers up to or near 2^31 – 1. It might be alien to some, but it makes perfect sense to the pony with a Sigma on his flank.

“I’m an earth pony and an engineer. But one that –is- part of a guild dedicated to arcane studies. I’d assume that’d imply that I have done my homework,” The stallion then hummed thoughtfully. “And while I am a head engineer at Eclipse Aerospace Labs… which does more than just aerospace, we aren’t really business ponies. But from experience, most business ponies won’t bother unless the research is something they can make money off of at an alarming rate. So in other words… the pitch is th-“

The stallion soon trailed off as he heard… seemingly in slow motion… Pressy mentioning her allergy medication. “You what?!” The stallion chirped in surprise.

Oh dear… he fidgeted when he saw the signs of terror already in motion. The stallion’s hoof quickly dipped into his jacket, and pulled out a small device. And in one fluid motion, he shot it towards the rafters and successfully snagged onto a metal cross beam. Not even a second had passed before the metallic wire quickly whirred to life and pulled the buck upwards near the ceiling before the violent gust of wind tore across the room.

Once it was over, the buck dropped back down to the ground and casually guided the cable with a hoof while it winded it’s self back into it’s vest. Once it was gone, the stallion reached into his pocket and pulled out a bottle and handed it to Pressy.

“Here you go love.”

2wmm3ux.jpg

Thank Celestia that Moony led Pocket Change away from the crowd when she did, otherwise they’d be caught up in another of Presteza’s sneezing antics. Moony, her eyes still blissfully shut as she hugged her coltfriend, nonetheless heard all the commotion. Al well, it didn’t sound like there was anything that couldn’t be fixed with a spell or two later... plus it was kinda amusing sometimes to see the aftermath of whatever horrors Pressy brought forth with her powers.

But all that could be saved for later; Moony still had a gift of her own to give to Pocket! “And here’s my super-duper-special gift to you, babe.” Letting go of him after providing a peck to the cheek, the moon-flanked unicorn strained with her magical might to hover over a humongous pony-sized cardboard box covered in “Happy Birthday!!!” wrapping paper (it was much cheaper than the holiday stuff). In reality, the gift was vastly smaller; as a gag, Pocket would have to open a succession of other boxes, each one smaller than the last, before finally getting to the, ahem, pocket-sized present. But when the stallion got to it... he would undoubtedly cherish it from the bottom of his heart.....

Archived