(Ponyville) Not so secret magic problems (closed)

Gerrard

Celestia's sun was in its final gasp of the day as it began to dip below the horizon to allow for the moon to break until full view over the lands of Equestria. A cold winter night was threatening to scoop up any lost individuals into a rather uncomfortable night's sleep. One of these few unfortunate souls was a unicorn mare with a coat as dark as the night itself. Her fiery eyes peered out from beneath her hooded cowl while she lightly cantered through the snow towards the often terrorized city of Ponyville. A good nights sleep was probably in order, not that she often found herself sleeping at vaguely normal hours. The frigid nipping of the cold nipped at the recesses of her mind, but the perpetually stoic mare could ignore it for now, knowing that it was just mildly uncomfortable for her brief trip over to the town. A frigid gust sliced through the area, causing her crimson eyes to narrow ever so slightly, her face vanishing beneath a her cloak until only the faintest traces of her eyes remained. It was unusually cold, but the city was only a few minutes trot away!

Given he was currently being tutored by none other than Princess Twilight,  Nova Burst was staying in ponyville. As the cold breeze slammed into him, Nova Burst attempted to cast a spell that would have a rather simplistic effect, namely heating up his coat so he'd stay warm. But the spell became more than that because he lost control of it rather quickly. In fact, it became a beam of thermal energy that was headed straight at the other Unicorn, Asteria.  Scowling, Nova Burst concentrated and created a barrier around the Unicorn in order to block his malfunctioning spell.  Buck it all. Why did his spells continually have to malfunction and have mishaps like they did? It was getting old.

"Sorry about that. Still learning to control magic."

The mare's eyes carefully watched as a strange thermal beam flew towards her, the unicorn quickly hopping to the side, only to have another source of magic stop the odd projectile. Asteria could see her hot breath steaming out of her maw while a strange pony approached and began to apologize for his magic error. She blinked her eyes and looked over the stranger, trying to make out some of his appearance. Her long black horn and faint traces of her scarlet mane were the only things that seemed to poke out of her tightly fitted cowl. "Hello stranger, may I ask what you are doing out here tonight? It would not be wise to spend too much time out in the cold without proper regalia. I believe that we are only a few moments from Ponyville. I know that there are warmer places there to conduct business," she commented strangely, trotting up to the apologetic unicorn as her fierce crimson eyes probed his face over for a reaction.

"Was simply trying to learn a new spell, thermal coat that I had come up with. It was meant to provide a means of heating up ponies when they go into hostile environments colder than this one, but I adjusted it some. It's still experimental, thus the accidental blasting you with a thermal blast and creating a barrier. To be honest, I'm still learning how to control my powers. I've got a LONG way to go."

Nova Burst chose to keep silent about the fact he was learning some from Princess Twilight.   "I must learn  control over my magic, it's best if I do it outside of houses... as well one time I accidentally leveled the entire house of my parents in a magical surge. Since then, I travel a lot and train myself without books or the aid of other Unicorns whenever possible to learn to control my horn. I'm not gonna let it kill some pony."

The mare listened as he spoke, the courier always wondering what new, perhaps overly complex spells her counterparts were concocting on a regular basis. She often focused on magic control instead of trying to manipulate her magic into crazy tricks like heating or weaponization. "Perhaps you could be better served with a lesson in magic control. Many focus on evolving their magic into something new and spectacular, instead of mastering the basics. Every magic user, without exception, wastes a great deal of their magic with just how they use it. Take this for instance," she calmly remarked, a patch of snow glowing a dark red as it levitated off the ground. The snow floated under a thick magic aura until being packed tightly into a ball. Her horn glowed a similar color as the icy substance let out a few crunches from being compressed so tightly. Soon though, a strange thing happened, the glow around the snow began to fade away, but the snow floated as if it were being suspended in air by an unseen force. "Whenever you see a magic user grab an object in a thick magic aura, be aware that they probably could do the same thing and expend less energy on magic while doing so," she explained calmly while looking over to him.

Her horn didn't seem to be glowing either, the unicorn looking over towards the town as she spoke to him. "Perhaps it would be better to speak of this in town. I believe that you may get sick practicing out in this weather. If you practice a more simple spell, perhaps you will lower your chance of spell failure," she commented calmly while trotting off, her surprisingly tall form walking away towards the town square. She had a room ordered for the night and was looking to take off her troubling amount of clothing that was restricting her movement.

"Good idea. Going inside, and learning Magic Control may help me be in control one day."

Nova Burst planned to master his magic and bring it under control no matter what it took. Perhaps lessons from this mare on magic control could be part of the training he needed in order to control his powers. After all there was little he could do with his magic without control. But still, there was a lot he had to learn.  Science could only push him so far in life, but perhaps with her training he could avoid magical strife.  

"Very well. We will go on into town, but be warned my horn might surge with magic. I'm trying to lessen my magical excess and bring it under control to the best of my ability."

Going with her into the village of Ponyville, Nova was worried. What he was about to do was a big step. For on this day he had promised himself to not wear the Horn Cover. Given that it did him more harm in the long run than good, it was dangerous. It bottled up the magical energy inside of him, making the surges worse, and he knew that he'd need to break his dependency to it.

"Let's get started. But first, I have something to show you. It's something I invented to suppress my horn's surges."  Red energy sparked off of his horn, as the Horn Cover materialized floating in a red aura near her and it was the mechanical device he had made, that rebounded the magical energy back into his horn. If it weren't dangerous, it would be an ingenious invention.

The mare quietly lead him over to the small home she rented for the evening. She stopped to look at his strange invention, a device for controlling magic. It was unusual, but she didn't have anything particularly interesting to add beyond a nod as she acknowledged his strange invention. "I feel like many ponies may try too hard to make exceptional spells instead of making their spells exceptional. It takes a lot of discipline to do so, but it can be rewarding in its own way," she explained in a voice that never seemed to change in tone. The unicorn's expression was completely neutral, not seeming to pass any judgement of any kind as she approached the door to her residence and closed her eyes. Her magic felt around the delicate lock of her door and after a moment of groping about, the door let out a loud click as she carefully spun the door knob open with the faintest of magic auras.

The room was spartan, two beds a couch and a kitchen. Nothing else of any particular note could be seen on the walls, the residence clearly not established as any type of long term home. She finally lowered her cowl once inside, revealing the stoic face of an otherwise beautiful black mare. She still wore a heavy cloak over her tall form, and after a brief magical search of her belongings, the mare pulled out a small sack of marbles. "Do you know how to grab an object with magic and leave no magical trace," she asked, levitating a glass marble in front of him. It didn't seem to have magic encircling it, and her horn didn't seem to be glowing as she did so.

"Actually, Miss I don't know much about magic in general. Due to the surges of my horn I tend to focu more on mechanical inventions, science rather than actual magic most of the time. However, given that one cannot exist without the other yet,  I have decided I need to learn to control my magic better. So while it may seem like I am rambling, in answer to your question, No I don't. I don't know how to lift objects properly even, much less not leave a magical trace. I'm learning some from Twilight, the Princess but I've still got a long way to go before I can trust myself to be around ponies or any other race for prolonged periods."

Nova Burst was concerned for the safety of other ponies. For there was no way to predict when his horn actually would surge, a problem he'd been racking his brain trying to figure out.  His surges would lessen when he learned to lessen the excess of magical energy within his horn. But being able to control his magic as well meant that he'd be one step closer to being able to control the surges, a goal that would allow him to stop himself from accidentally blasting ponies he didn't want to, or creatures he didn't want to.

Archived