[Question] RP Etiquette: How Long to Wait?

MidnightMask

So, I've been trying to juggle a variety of threads and characters, primarily to keep myself busy while I wait on replies on one thread or another. I've seen so many forum RPs die due to a stall out, interest waning over time, etc. I hate to let a thread linger in limbo and never reach a proper ending, so...

My question is, what is the right amount of time to wait before posting after an RP partner has ghosted, or, how long before disappearance can be assumed? I'd hate to ignore somebody just because they can't post as often, but at a certain point, you get caught in sort of an RP deepfreeze, one person's inactivity halting a thread for all involved as they wait on a new post that may never come.

On the flip side, when is it wrong to have made others wait?

I know this is as much opinion as hard and fast based upon the RP culture of the given forum environment, but I'm curious to know others opinions.

Well, I think it depends on the situation.  If the other member has posted a somewhere that they will be busy and that rp replies are delayed, etc...then I will give them all the time they need.  If it reaches over 2 weeks and no reply has been given (if it's an rp I would like to continue), I would set up a gentle reminder either in the OOC or via pm.  If you know that the member is constantly active, never said anything about delayed rp posts, etc...then I would send them a reminder after 1 week.  

I think, as long as you have a good reason and you tell the others the reason, it's okay for waits up to 2 weeks.  After that, it's very obvious that you are no longer interested.

((Just my personal opinion, though.)) 

If you have a post order, then you should probably follow that!

But!

If you don't, then the generally accepted rule is to wait two posts between each of your posts. This gives time for other members to react, without leaving your own character behind in the action. Of course, we should be consiserate in following this rule, and not run up 10 pages of RP with you and two other members, if there's other members too! Gotta give time for them to react, after all. =3

I'll tell you how I approach this, for threads I'm either running or really excited about:

I like to wait a week, because generally speaking I don't know someone else's schedule for sure.  Once a week has passed, I send the person I'm waiting for a PM, asking them asking them as gently as possible what's going on.  That can give you a concrete answer on how long until they'll be ready to post again, and/or how to proceed from there.

If I still couldn't get in touch with the person at this point, I would check their profile and the Inactivity or Leaving? thread to see if there's any word on where they will be, and if there were more than just the two of us I would get in touch with the other thread participants to see where to go from there.

Archived