Sunburst.

VGAddict

Well, considering they did the exact same thing to Diamond Tiara by giving her a previously unseen mother that placed unrealistic and demeaning pressure on her child, I wouldn't be surprised if they did the same with this Starburst (I haven't seen the S5 finale, but he's the childhood friend that made Glimmer hate cutie marks right?). Villainizing characters is a cheap but unfortunately successful way to either make a character more sympathetic, or to break off relationship ties the characters have with one another for whatever reason.

*stares at Hermoine and Harry shippers*

Well, considering they did the exact same thing to Diamond Tiara by giving her a previously unseen mother that placed unrealistic and demeaning pressure on her child, I wouldn't be surprised if they did the same with this Starburst (I haven't seen the S5 finale, but he's the childhood friend that made Glimmer hate cutie marks right?). Villainizing characters is a cheap but unfortunately successful way to either make a character more sympathetic, or to break off relationship ties the characters have with one another for whatever reason.

*stares at Hermoine and Harry shippers*

Sunburst saved Starlight from being crushed by a pile of books, and was shown to have amazingly talented  magic, his family had him go to a prestigious school for gifted Unicorns.

He wasn't snobby, honestly if he comes back my money is more on  "Love Interest" 

I'd still hate her and continue to not except her 'redemption' even if that happened.

I can agree that if someone severely dislikes Glimmer, a sobby backstory really wont cut the mustard, a better telling of said backstory MAYBE but "See? It's okay! He's MEAN" Would not sooth any seething feelings towards her.

So, Twilight was a jerk right? She left Moondancer to study friendship in Ponyville after all and we sympathized with Moondancer because of it. Clearly that's how it happened.... Because that's the only way we'd sympathize with Moondancer for not wanting to amend her relationship with Twilight at the beginning of Amending Fences.  

The act of garnering sympathy for a character is not reliant on demonizing another character. It is unfair to compare the situation with DT and Sunset Glimmer, as we already know the backstory for why she did what she did, we were told point blank (and DT was a bully because of her mother, where as there was no evidence of anything of the sort with Sunburst, he just went away to school and left his best friend behind). She lost a friend because they were talented in magic (though honestly, I don't get why Glimmer wasn't accepted into the school too, she outdid Twilight who is a princess and was Celestia's protegee). Why does that friend have to be a jerk to justify her going off the deep-end and blaming magic and special talents for her best friend for going to Celestia's School? The more likely course is that she is to reconnect with that friend, much like how Twilight did with her Canterlot friends. There is absolutely no reason to villainize Sunburst, and if they did it would be immensely lazy writing. 

So, Twilight was a jerk right? She left Moondancer to study friendship in Ponyville after all and we sympathized with Moondancer because of it. Clearly that's how it happened.... Because that's the only way we'd sympathize with Moondancer for not wanting to amend her relationship with Twilight at the beginning of Amending Fences.  

The act of garnering sympathy for a character is not reliant on demonizing another character. It is unfair to compare the situation with DT and Sunset Glimmer, as we already know the backstory for why she did what she did, we were told point blank (and DT was a bully because of her mother, where as there was no evidence of anything of the sort with Sunburst, he just went away to school and left his best friend behind). She lost a friend because they were talented in magic (though honestly, I don't get why Glimmer wasn't accepted into the school too, she outdid Twilight who is a princess and was Celestia's protegee). Why does that friend have to be a jerk to justify her going off the deep-end and blaming magic and special talents for her best friend for going to Celestia's School? The more likely course is that she is to reconnect with that friend, much like how Twilight did with her Canterlot friends. There is absolutely no reason to villainize Sunburst, and if they did it would be immensely lazy writing. 

I think at that age Starlight wasn't 'Talented" enough to join the school, it was losing Sunburst that fueled her  need to fill that friendship void with magic 

LostSanity, thank you for your opinion, but can we discuss Sunburst and their possible implications in Season 6 rather than your like or dislike of characters unrelated to the discussion (though not entirely unrelated to be fair)? Thanks :)

After all Sunburst ISN'T Starlight, so they WILL be their own character, the association makes sense though, if someone has a severe dislike of Glimmer I can see why they might dislike Sunburst.|

I do agree with LS's stance on Spoiled Rich though, I mean Tiara's jerk mom hasn't made me totally forgive the character and totally understand her, and feel sorry for her, I think their point might be "It didn't work  for Diamond Tiara, I don't think it would work for Starlight" possibly?

Archived