For Fashion, Darling! (Closed)

Skipper

"Do you think I'm really going to go on stage wearing a rug?!" the model yelled at the blue unicorn, before storming off in the opposite direction towards the door.  "I'm going to see my agent!"

"Wait! What did you think you'd be wearing?! Agh!" Nebula stomped her hoof as the door swung shut behind her last model. Now what was she going to do? She knew that by now, the others had already warned the rest of the model world that they might be asked to wear rugs. It wasn't even as if the rugs were hideous either; they had been made with love and care and frankly, she wouldn't be surprised if one of them bought one after the show to have in their luxurious studio apartments.

Sighing, she switched off the lights in the fashion hall and was on her way. Canterlot was as busy as it always was and she struggled to keep her mouth shut as her hoof was trodden on more than once. Eventually she reached the quieter (and admittedly, nicer) side of town and entered one of the big apartment blocks. She trotted up the stairs deep in thought. "What the hay am I going to do now? No models. Ahh, Fluffa's going to kill me.." 

She reached the top of the stairs and rapped a hoof on the door to the penthouse studio. The door opened straight away and a fluffy figure stood before her. "Nebby! You're early!" Fluffa squealed, hastily pulling curlers out of her fur. Nebula sighed and looked at her friend. "Fluffa, we've hit a snag."

_________________________________________________________________________________________

"You're sure ponies are going to respond?" Nebula asked uncertainly as she pasted a poster to a lamp post. It read: "We want you! Cash Reward Inquire at ... !" With details of the fashion hall. "It's kind of ... vague." Suspicious was the word she wanted to use but she decided against it. She didn't want to try Fluffa's patience now, especially since her whole new furnishing line depended on this show.

"Don't be silly! Ponies always want some extra money!" Fluffa said brightly. "Besides, if we actually say it's for a fashion show then ponies won't turn up. We have to trick - er, entice them! Now come on, lets go wait at the hall. The sun's too bright and I don't want it to dry out my fur," and with that she yanked Nebula with her and began to skip away. 

Cyclone was off duty. She had a bit of light shopping to do and decided on a quick flight to Canterlot, which was always refreshing. She considered paying her colt a visit while she was there, she had yet to meet these new friends he mentioned after all.

On a stroll she came across an advertisement stuck to a wall. It was not for a product, but for an odd job. Her work was both pleasant for her and well-paying, but she wouldn't object to a quick bit on the side. She'd be happy to help somepony, and hay, it might be a laugh. Also, if it turned out to be anything dodgy she could crack down on them like an anvil. All good stuff.

The door to the hall swung open as the pegasus found her way in and cheerfully greeted them, "Good morning." She examined the citizens. A unicorn with a shiny deep blue mane, and a very fluffy brown long-necked specimen... an alpaca. She didn't observe anything particularly fishy about the duo. "I saw your posters. What are you after?"

Ah, Canterlot.

A beautiful and bustling city of the utmost class. From its prestigious school for the magically gifted to the posh shops decorating the streets.Ponies trotting about with an air of sophistication about them. The city itself screamed elegance.  The patrons fitting nicely in this classy atmosphere. There in the midst, standing rather blatantly out, was Forge Ivory. A behemoth of a stallion that seemed to be missing the chic aura that seemed to emanate from those that surrounded him. It didn't take much thought to make the conclusion that he wasn't necessarily a Canterlot born citizen. It didn't seem to matter much to the stallion as he walked through the city, finding no trouble what so ever  in milling about through the crowd.

One might ask themselves what was a type like him doing here, and he himself was beginning to wonder the same. That is until the memories of recent events came clamoring back to the forefront of his mind. Forge letting out a uncharacteristically irritated sigh in response. A picky client that didn't know what he wanted. That shield was sheer beauty and oh at the hours Forge had poured into its making. He was so proud of it, so much so that he would deliver it himself. Well, sure he was headed this way anyway to stay with a friend of his for awhile but, still!  He made the trip only to hear that the shield wasn't exactly what the client was looking for. Sigh. What a waste. It took all Forge Ivory had in him not to throw the shield at the snobby stallion. The only thing stopping him really was the fear of scratching his creation. However, not one to let a trip go to waste, he had taken to exploring the city. A few of the same fliers catching his eye. "Oh, what's all this then?"  His green eyes scanning over the parchment the part sticking out most was the mentioning of payment. He was down in bits from this visit and the materials he put into making the shield. Aye, he could use 'em. He decided following the given directions to the location.  

As he walked into the building he noticing two mares and very fluffy alpaca.  "Aye, good mornin' to ye, lassies!" He bellowed a greeting from his position in the doorway. A smile set in his features. "Ye be lookin' fer some help?" 

Strawberry looked around, fascinated by this place, Canterlot, what's so special about this place, there are many snobby ponies here.What is this place?

Strawberry saw a stallion, two mares and a sheep? What the heck  is that thing?A raccoon-dog?A sheep half dog half raccoon thing?

"Hi, My name Is Strawberry Milkshake, and by the way, what is that thing? "Is it a sheep?Strawberry has never seen an alpaca, never.

She then sat still waiting for an answer.

**sorry that my posts aren't as lengthy**

Nebula was astonished that it had worked. When she first saw the pegasus walk in she felt elated, and then her stomach dropped. Is this all they got? A stiff, proper looking pegasus? No.. They needed more than just the one pony.. Okay, Nebula, calm down, she told herself sternly. This could be the making of your career and Fluffa's new line depends on this. Get it together!

Fluffa grinned widely at the pegasus and was about to open her mouth when a huge stallion walked through the door. She grinned even wider and again, was about to address the pair of ponies when a third walked in. Clearing her throat, she stepped up in front of the three. 

"Hello, hello!" she exclaimed, practically bouncing where she stood. "My name is Fluffa and I am a pillow maker here in Canterlot. You might be wondering why that concerns you, well let me tell you!" 

Nebula snorted and rolled her eyes and sat back on her haunches. She wished Fluffa would get to the point; she guessed that these ponies were going to split the moment she mentioned the word "fashion show"

Fluffa glared at  Nebula and then turned back to her models. "I have recently began work on a line of rugs and I'm hosting a fashion show to highlight these rugs. HOWEVER," she exclaimed dramatically, staring each pony dead in the eye. "You'll have to wear them on stage to show them off," she said quite quickly, as though trying to gloss over that fact. 

"You will also be styled head to hoof by Nebula, an up and coming stylist who sees the world of fashion much differently to you and I," Fluffa finished fondly. 

Nebula felt touched and smiled at her friend. She knew Fluffa really liked her eccentric style and she did really appreciate this opportunity, despite the circumstances. 

Nebula  took her turn to face the crowd. "You'll each be getting 250 bits for participating, and everything is free of charge. I'm sure we can even put you up in soe accommodation somewhere if you are stuck for it. Any questions?" she asked, glad to see they hadn't turned tail and ran away just yet.

Starlight Glimmer...the newest Equestrian sensation for her devilish deeds: was staring at a sign.  

Canterlot had always been a city she despised-filled with memories of how quickly she had lost her fillyhood friend Sunburst, and ideals of Equestrian society and couture.  It was depressing to set hoof in the area.  They were reminders of her failures and sins.  They were her past.  She didn't like being here, but when Twilight had suggested her to make some new friends, Canterlot was one of the first places she had in mind.  It was one of Equestria's most populated areas, afterall.  

Canterlot was the exact opposite of her utopia.  It was large-scale, ponies rarely knew each other, society and elitest owned the area, and it was just so...cutie-mark driven.  She was a changed mare, she swore, but old habits died hard.  She understood now that cutie marks were the unique capacity of each pony, and that they made each pony different from the next-but this city seemed to be the thing she had resisted against with Our Town: separating ponies by class and social ladder via cutie marks.  Those with crowns, gems, or symbols of class seemed to stand at the top, with those of lesser-class signs at the bottom.  She hated it.  

The sign she was looking at was...one of a kind, to say the least.  A small advertisement for models.  'Not too big, not too small-the perfect surrounding in the equation for friendship.'  At least, that was what she imagined her latest mentor saying.  

She noted the small group gathered near the sign, and she headed over with the smallest hint of a smile.  She still wasn't quite comfortable with the thoughts of 'striking big in the big city', but it was worth a try.  Hopefully.

"Hello~I'm Starlight Glimmer.  Are you here with...the advertisement?"

A rugged stallion arrived, also responding to the call which circulated on the papers. He had the look of a draught horse; well, really he was unusually large, the guard thought candidly. Like that apple stallion she saw around Ponyville when stopping by at her daughter's place... or maybe closer to that giant pegasus who shouted 'YEAH!' a lot. His voice was smoother however, far from that odd signature yelling, in fact it was very clear where he was from. She liked the Fet Loch accent; as with Trottingham or Stalliongrad accents, it just had a rather nice sound. "Same to you, laddie," she returned the greeting.

Briefly after him a wandering mare joined them, voicing her racial curiosity and drawing a chuckle from Cyclone at the innocence beneath her question. Thankfully there seemed to be no offence. "Hello Strawberry. 'That thing' is an alpaca, dear. Maybe not so much a 'thing' as a citizen of Equestria, though." They did have features reminiscent of sheep, but, eh... it might not be kind to go around saying that.

The alpaca in question announced her request. Cyclone had a question, alright. "First of all, my name is Cyclone, nice to meet you. Secondly... what? A fashion show for rugs? I'm sorry, but I doubt the effectiveness of this at selling. I'm no merchant, but I do wonder why you haven't gone with... advertising an opening sale, or something? I mean, anypony interested in looking at a rug wants to see if it works for their home, not if they can wear it as a dress." Cyclone gave a little shrug of her wings, a nonverbal hedge. "... Why choose a fashion show?" With only good intentions at heart, she wondered if embarrassment and loss on a risk were in the cards for the duo.

She quietly regarded the next mare to enter. A vague thought stirred that this was a tarnished name... a previous APB? Maybe not... there must have been some rumours at least. The exploits of the elements of harmony often seemed to make their way around. She casually welcomed her, in any case, "Morning, Starlight Glimmer. If you have the right ad, yes, this is the place. Apparently we're here to wear rugs and strut." She couldn't resist... it was a funny request.

Spirited little puff-ball~

Forge mused as said puff-ball began explaining  why they were called together. Fluffa's contagious enthusiasm spreading to him as he (barely) restrained himself from bouncing with her, settling instead for the slight nod of his head. His attention switched to the blue mare upon the alpaca's introduction. His gaze immediately caught in the unique coloring of her mane. Like lookin' into the night sky. He thought a bit star-struck by its unique beauty. Fet Loch held many oddities of its own but, never had he seen something like this. Forge blinked rapidly a few times to pull himself from the awed trance like state. If this mare were to be their stylist he wondered if by the end of the day, if they would all be walking out of this place with galaxy related manes. He wouldn't complain if they did. He thought with a curve of the corner of his mouth.

A hearty chuckle rumbled from his chest as the golden colored mare responded to his greeting with one of her own, copying his accent. "Oh, the lass has some spunk to her!" He commented through his laughter. This mare, Cyclone, held a calming dignified aura about her, motherly really. He noted watching the exchange between her and the red eyed mare. Aside from her nurturing demeanor, the mare was fit  and built strong. He didn't doubt that she could best him in a brawl before he even knew what hit him. A guard perhaps? He would have to ask later. She seemed the type that he could joke with freely.

He angled his head to look at Strawberry Milkshake that stood beside him. The height difference between them rather evident and a bit humorous. "Mm, fluffy bunch they are."  He said with a nod his voice low, with a mischievous glance at Strawberry.

Last to enter was the purple and blue maned mare. He listened as she introduced herself and gave her a friendly tip of his head in greeting. Starlight Glimmer... Where had he heard that name? It seemed so familiar in a way yet he couldn't quite come to answer.  His brows furrowed in thought before giving up with a shrug. It'll probably come to him later.

Cyclone's voice brought him back to the conversation and he nodded in agreement. She had a point with the rugs. Why wear them when you could just show them off. Then again the duo may be onto something. " If ye don' mind me puttin' me two bits in" He began, not really asking for permission since he was going to state his opinion regardless. "I don't know about the rest of ye but, I think seeing a rug on a pony would help it stick in yer head more." He stated. "Not everyday ya see somethin' like that."  Maybe they were going for something of the sort. It was a funny concept but it may just do the trick of making their products stick out more. Then again he could be completely of the mark. "Names Forge Ivory." He added with a grin.  He was willing to help either way as he could sympathize with the struggle of wanting your creations to be unique and unlike the rest. Besides spending the day in good company AND getting paid while doing it was another favorable incentive. Well, it would be downright silly of him to decline.

Archived