Multi-Part Cutie Marks

Do you think it's possible for a pony to get their cutie mark in different sections?  Ex.  If it was a multi parted cutie-mark...like Bon Bon's candies-could it be possible that she got one at a certain point in time, and the other candy at another point in time?

I'm inclined to say no, although people can always follow different interpretations of the setting.

A cutie mark featuring multiple elements doesn't (necessarily) mean it represents multiple distinct things, rather I'd say it represents a different single thing.  So, the difference between a pony with cutie mark of a single candy and a pony with one of many candies would be something more like, the former pony enjoys designing candies (picking ingredients, shape, etc.) and makes them in support of that passion, while the latter enjoys the act of making them for its own sake and might just stick to family recipes or something.

A cutie mark earned in multiple stages seems like it would be one of two things: either it's essentially earning multiple cutie marks for the same talent, which is kinda redundant, or it's a pony have multiple special talents, which just sounds like it would produce a weaker character overall.  The former would either be needlessly complicated by adding more steps to the process, or make the character a bit of a special snowflake by attempting to make their self-discovery different than seemingly any other character.  The latter seems pretty mary-sue-ish.

I have seen a story that I decently enjoyed featuring somewhat a somewhat malleable cutie mark that changed with dramatic shifts in the character's state of mind (specifically a few major turning points in his life), so marks with multiple parts to them could be done.  It's something that would require a very careful approach to do well, though.

6 hours ago, Lyipheoryia said:

Do you think it's possible for a pony to get their cutie mark in different sections?  Ex.  If it was a multi parted cutie-mark...like Bon Bon's candies-could it be possible that she got one at a certain point in time, and the other candy at another point in time?

Eeeeeenope. One for all and all for one!

I always kind of wondered what would happen if a pony, as they grow, becomes exponentially different from what their cutie mark means. Like that's meant to be the turning point where a pony realizes the thing they were meant to do, but what if something causes some like...incredible shift in that pony's entire sense of self, would they be stuck with a cutie mark that was no longer them in any way? Imagine the inner turmoil that could cause.

1 hour ago, Jabberwock said:

I always kind of wondered what would happen if a pony, as they grow, becomes exponentially different from what their cutie mark means. Like that's meant to be the turning point where a pony realizes the thing they were meant to do, but what if something causes some like...incredible shift in that pony's entire sense of self, would they be stuck with a cutie mark that was no longer them in any way? Imagine the inner turmoil that could cause.

Yeah!  Like...I'm sure there are somepony's that encounter a sudden and entire shift in their mindset.  It just doesn't seem right to have those ponies with the same cutie mark-though...we haven't seen any of those ponies on-show.

I'd like to try and explore that with an OC on here in the most true to canon way possible, a pony who's cutie mark is a remnant of who they WERE but something caused them to totally shift, so now they live with a mark that says nothing about who they are. It'd be a fun personality to write out I think

1 hour ago, Jabberwock said:

I'd like to try and explore that with an OC on here in the most true to canon way possible, a pony who's cutie mark is a remnant of who they WERE but something caused them to totally shift, so now they live with a mark that says nothing about who they are. It'd be a fun personality to write out I think

Well, there's been a few cast that had to re-discover their cutie marks, but I think that's the closest it comes to having a cutie mark totally different from the character themselves.

SEE I always think about the finale episode where the mane six have their marks switched and how much of a problem it causes for them in such a short time? But what about a pony STUCK like that, who can't just have someone magically change their mark to what it should be...I can imagine the disconnect it might cause to be honest.

That's kinda like the Starlight Dilemma.  She didn't just swap a pony's cutie mark, she changed their destiny.  A cutie mark is a pony's destiny, so by performing that spell, she changed destiny.  

Archived