Official Discussion Thread - S056E5 Gauntlet of Fire

spike_the_dragon_by_kicsterash-d5a5f1d.p

Another week and another episode with the adorable ponies we all love, well, sort of, as this week's episode will be on Twilight's faithful assistant, Spike.  Now we all know Spike episodes are controversial (as controversial as one can be about a cartoon about adorable, pastel colored magical ponies), as Spike is often handed (or perhaps hoofed) the idiot ball in them, but hey we know the little guy really does have what it takes to be a great character, so perhaps this will be a defining episode for him! Tune in to find out!  The episode airs Saturday 11:30 AM EST on April 16th! :)<3

This thread is dedicated to discussing the episode before, during, and afterwards. As the thread is now open it may indeed contain spoilers. I ask that potential spoilers talked about or shown before the episode airs stay within the spoiler tags please, after the episode you no longer have to use the spoiler tags, but warning, if you haven't seen the episode yet after it airs, this thread no doubt will have all sorts of spoilers in reviews, images, etc. So tread at your own risk. :)

Personally, I don't typically have a problem with Spike episodes. I like most of them.

This one though, yeah, it does still stand above the pack.

Gotta hand it to it for bringing back a character I never thought we'd see again and then not trying to change and reinvent him as so often happens. Actually, I'd say the episode does a lot to brush away the problems Dragon Quest had as an episode. Introducing an inherently likeable new character also helps. As does the exciting premise. And Rarity. Rarity was adorable throughout.

Season six remains on a roll.

11 minutes ago, TheColtofPersonality said:

The only issue this episode has is no crackle

I thought this too, but he's actually in there at one point, albeit in a brief, blink and you miss it cameo during one of the action bits.

Spoiler

Screenshot from 2016-04-16 16-27-34.png

Hi. Yeah it's me again. You should all know the mantra by now.

Spoiler

This is starting to become a trend now. I'm unsure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Either way... I once again don't really have much to say about this one.

First off, it may have only been for a few moments, but, I liked seeing Princess Luna and Princess Celestia. BEST. :D

Now... on to the episode...

It was good to see the Dragonlands again. Twilight may... get giddy when to comes to stuff she doesn't know and the idea of finding out more (which is always funny :lol:) but she was right. There isn't a lot known about dragons and it was good to see it expanded on further.

Of course... that also meant jerk Garble again. :roll:

But stuff kept happening to him in this episode that was freaking GREAT. He kept getting hurt and stuff. :lol:

Let me talk about Ember for a moment now. That name is actually familiar. Because it was used in the Spyro series. She also reminds me of a Spyro character as well. Named Cynder. (Yes, I'm aware of the Spyro series because I pretty much watched all of the games on YouTube in Let's Play format) which I actually kind of liked... :)

This episode was actually pretty decent. It's rare to get a decent Spike episode and this was one. It was good to see more dragons and their 'characters.'

It became cute with the relationship of Spike and Ember and Ember not wanting to be friends but not reporting Twilight and Rarity to the other dragons.

I mean it wasn't 'outstanding' or 'amazing' or 'extraordinary' but I still quite liked this episode.

SPIKE WON. ALL HAIL DRAGON LORD SPIKE. :o

GARBLE HUMILIATION. That one dragon liked the hug too. :lol:

NO WAIT. DON'T LEAVE THE GROUP. :cry:

The ending wasn't exactly surprising but still good.

A decent Spike episode IMO. But that's just me.

:smirk:

Yep...

Awesome episode! I know I say it a lot but, probably one of my favorites. Spike was awesome too, and it was great learning all that new dragon info. Especially since I've been thinking about apping an adult dragon at some point.

Spoiler

Ember was a fantastic character. I loved her and really hope she makes a comeback in the future. Me thinks I should draw her. I might also make an app for her in the future too. As for the rest of the episode, It was very interesting and pretty dang funny on a lot of scenes. I especially love the gags involving Garble from start to finish. I admit it was pretty predictable, but that didn't stop it from being a lot of fun! 9/10.

Yes! An episode about Spike not being a doofus! He's being mature! Oh, what joy I felt seeing a character like him who shone wonderfully!

Enjoyed the dragon culture, enjoyed the new characters, enjoyed Spike's determination...

8/10

I'm so pleased with all the episodes of season six so far :smirk: they always know who needs another episode and when. Not to mention it was pretty monumental, I mean, a new dragon lord and a possible the threat to Equestria made for a very eventful episode. And who doesn't love Spikey Wikey ;)

I really liked this episode. I admit I didn't like many of the Spike centered ones except for Princess Spike, but this one shows that Spike can be a character on his own rather than the typical straight man/ punching bag. 

Spoiler

Dragonlord Torch- great character to add some funny lines. Why is no one agreeing Agree with me! 

Princess Ember- Oh boy, I can see the outpouring of fiction and art for her. And yes, Tsundere dragon is best Princess. (and sorry Sparity fans, but I think Spike/ Ember will make a better ship) (would that be Spimber or Spaber?) 

More Dragon lore! I like the information of dragons not really having friends, not showing their emotions well except rage, and that intelligence is not seen as strength. Definitely the opposite of Equestria! 

Twilight and Rarity using the art of camouflage! 

In all a good solid Spike story. 8/10 

Probably one of my favorite episodes of the season so far. I really do like Ember..And

Spoiler

It's nice to see Garble get a much deserved whoop'n.

XhJbPE6.gif

I do hate the idea of EQUESTRIA WOULD BE DESTROYED if an evil dragon had become Dragon Lord. Ponies are small and cute, but they pack a heck of a punch. And there has to be a reason why they generally leave ponies alone.

And poor Rarity. I'm guessing that's not mud on her coat.

WMox3lAm.png

Archived