Official Discussion Thread - S06E8 A Hearth's Warming Tail

hearth__s_warming_night_by_glancojustica

Just in time for summer!

Another week and another episode with the adorable ponies we all love!  This week we have our first holiday themed episode of the season, Hearth's Warming Eve!  The Equestrian version of Christmas!  I am sure you all are feeling the holiday spirit with Christmas only some seven months away!  Probably not.  Well poor Starlight Glimmer isn't feeling the holiday spirit either, of course maybe because they didn't have holidays in Commieville?  Same Town?  Whatever her sanctuary was called. Fortunately she has her new mentor around to regale her with tales of holiday cheer, complete with song!  How will it go?  Will we have another play? Tune in to find out!  The episode airs Saturday 11:30 AM EST on May14th! :) <3

This thread is dedicated to discussing the episode before, during, and afterwards. As the thread is now open it may indeed contain spoilers. I ask that potential spoilers talked about or shown before the episode airs stay within the spoiler tags please, after the episode you no longer have to use the spoiler tags, but warning, if you haven't seen the episode yet after it airs, this thread no doubt will have all sorts of spoilers in reviews, images, etc. So tread at your own risk. :blush:

I was not expecting a remake of A Christmas Carol. I was expecting Snowfall to say "Bah, humbug!" at some point! Strange that they should have the Christmas special in the summer too - like this show's priorities are mixed up. Whatever, it was a fun episode!

I quite enjoyed it. The designs were cool, and I found the idea of

Spoiler

Olde Tyme Vinyl Scratch playing a gramaphone

to be hilarious. I like how it played with the original story to make it its own without making it unrecognizable.

Not a fan of musicals, but the episode was fine. Enjoyable overall. I don't imagine that story truly changed much on Starlight's opinion of the holiday though.

43 minutes ago, FrankT said:

Strange that they should have the Christmas special in the summer too - like this show's priorities are mixed up.

The season isn't airing in the winter at all.

The musical episodes are always a treat and this was no exception. My favorite Hearth's Warming episode yet. It was just really adorable and really fun and I loved all the songs. We've had something of a shortage this season, so it's good to get a whole bunch at once.

Sure, parodying A Christmas Carol is about the most obvious thing that could have been done here, but I can't fault the execution. It was great.

Though yeah.... kind of funny getting this at about exactly the wrong time of year for it, especially since this one had the feel of  a Christmas special even more than the previous Hearth's Warming eps.

Thoughts below and in spoilers as always.

Spoiler

I wish I had a lot to say about this one. I really do.

But I really don't. Unfortunately, I'm not too keen on 'musical episodes.' (See Crusaders of the Lost Mark and the S3 Finale) I'm not saying the episode was bad though.

It was pretty much yet another rehash of 'A Christmas Carol.' Except with ponies. I've never really had a firm opinion one way or the other when it comes to that story either. However, it did remind me and make me realize that A Christmas Carol is pretty much the most well known 'redemption story.'

I liked the Derpy antics and seeing Vinyl Scratch and Octavia together in the background a lot though.

Also I think they broke the 4th wall with that 'voice actor' thing. Does Tara do Pinkie's singing voice? I honestly don't know as I don't really know all the voice actor stuff. :unsure:

ALSO LUNA. YAY LUNA.

Her music part was probably my favorite. Not because it was Luna (though that didn't hurt) but that song I actually somewhat liked. LUNA IS APPARENTLY GOOD AT EVERYTHING.

That's about all I can say. Sorry. I'm not a big fan of musical episodes. :unsure:

So I'd say it was a 'somewhat okay' episode.

:blush:

As a Charles Dickens fan, I love this episode! 

Spoiler
  • Great to see a musical episode. I always loved those filled with songs! 
  • Rainbow Dash as Bob Cratchet? Makes sense. 
  • The Sherlock Holmes/ Dr. Watson ponies.
  • Professor Flint Heart = Professor Snape? Uncanny! 
  • Gramaphone Vinyl 
  • Love seeing Hearth's Warming Eve throughout the ages. 
  • Luna's a Hearth's Warming Future? Awesome! 

So much to look at, and I'd say this is as good as the original Hearth's Warming episode! 

10/10! 

It's always odd watching an holiday episode when it's still months and months till the actual holiday. Cute episode. I laughed when..

Spoiler

Granny murdered some kid with a present.

EvvYREM.png

And since all of the characters in the story were 'acted' out by characters from the present..That means there's a Snape-Pony (Professor Flintheart) running around in Equestria. Wonder if he was one of Twi's teachers.

2 minutes ago, tacobob said:

It's always odd watching an holiday episode when it's still months and months till the actual holiday. Cute episode. I laughed when..

Hide contents

Granny murdered some kid with a present.

EvvYREM.png

And since all of the characters in the story were 'acted' out by characters from the present..That means there's a Snape-Pony (Professor Flintheart) running around in Equestria. Wonder if he was one of Twi's teachers.

10/10 would waste another child.

I was not expecting a Christmas story in May, but this was very enjoyable.  The music aspect reminded me of the Albert Finney version of A Christmas Carol, which is one of my favorite versions.  I thought that the casting of characters was spot on, all except Rainbow Dash as Bob Cratchet.  Personally, I think Fluttershy would have made a better Cratchet, but I'm nit picking.

Archived