How to best utilize photoshop to horse

Polyblank

I have the adobe bundle, and a tobishia drawing pad. I have all the right gear, and I have fun drawing. But it seems I have problems because It never looks as good as things do on paper. I have problems getting the lines to look like pencil, and coloring is a nightmare. Any tips, tricks or help to horse would be appreciated.

Draw on paper.  Scan to computer.  Trace. 

That's what I do-it's a lot easier than just freehand drawing with the tablet.  

As well, practice always makes perfect.  You have to spend some time getting used to using it-and maybe start off drawing simple shapes and figures before moving on to complicated images.

I do the same thing as Lyipheoryia. I draw on paper, scan, and trace.

I don't use Photoshop, but what I can say is that to make it look like a pencil line, try adjusting the thickness of the line on the program. I find, at least on the program I use (Fire Alpaca), that a 10 point line matches a 0.7 mm mechanical pencil line, and a 5 point line is good with fine detailing detailing like stone, trees, and manes or tails.

Also, I'll add to the mentioning of practicing by saying that you should practice drawing curves or different sizes and bends since not many things that are natural (including ponies) are perfectly straight.

• 3 weeks later...

For colouring, try using something like Colourpic to 'grab' colours from screencaps of the pony you're drawing.  That way, you can get the exact same colour as in the show.  

I like to use the paint tool, then go back to pencil to colour in the places the paint tool don't fill in.

Archived