Official Discussion Thread - S06E10 Applejack's "Day" Off

steam_bath_by_underpable-da4ayof.png

Steam Bath!

Another week and another episode with the adorable ponies we all love! Yeehaw!  :smug:  It is time for our first Applejack episode of the season, hurrah for best pony!  So how will Applejack handle being away from the farm and trying to relax at the spa?  How much implied Rarijack shipping is in this episode and how far will the fandom take it? Tune in to find out!  The episode airs Saturday 11:30 AM EST on May 28th! :) <3

This thread is dedicated to discussing the episode before, during, and afterwards. As the thread is now open it may indeed contain spoilers. I ask that potential spoilers talked about or shown before the episode airs stay within the spoiler tags please, after the episode you no longer have to use the spoiler tags, but warning, if you haven't seen the episode yet after it airs, this thread no doubt will have all sorts of spoilers in reviews, images, etc. So tread at your own risk. :blush:

There was an episode this weekend? ...  Oh yeah, the thing with the spa, and AJ being a bad farmer...  The episode was so forgettable I put it out of my mind already.  Slooooooow and badly paced episode with no punch.

First true disappointment of the season. 

It was just uncomonly dull. I don't think I've ever been less interested in an episode of MLP. Uneventful and glacially paced. I haven't been in less a hurry to revisit an episode since the Breezies.

Only parts I did like were the Rainbow Dash scenes. Those were super cute.

Alright, after viewing this episode, I spent several hours analyzing every detail and have finally formulated my opinion.

It took a bit of time, but I wrote down a detailed review expressing my thoughts on the ep.

Beware; Wall of Text follows.

Spoiler

Eh.

Such a missed opportunity! I know Steel said that in his comment on the original of this thread...and he couldn't have been more accurate! And what they hay?? There's no way AJ is that stupid with her farming responsibilities! This episode just made me sad... where's the AJ love she deserves? 

2/10... only because the RD parts were cute!

My thoughts are below. I'm probably being too nice though, so, I'll let others be negative. :unsure:

Spoiler

Hmm...

There is legitimately not much I can say about this one. Not really in a good way either. I'm not saying I didn't like it though.  :unsure:

It's just... I don't know... nothing really 'stood out' for me in this one.

Not surprisingly, Applejack ended up working when she was supposed to be 'relaxing.'

It was kind of interesting to see her fixing the problem with the spa center though. She was only supposed to be there to 'relax' and she ended up helping them out. :P

Then, Twilight and Rarity return the favor by helping out Applejack because they notice that she was doing a lot of unnecessary things with her chores and helped her 'update' them sort of so they wouldn't take that long which, of course, ended with her being able to spend more 'quality time' I guess with Rarity.

About the only thing I can say is that I liked Rainbow Dash in this one with her trying to hide that she liked the spa treatments. It was cute and funny.  :blush:

That's about all I can say.

Others can do a better job at this then I can. I don't like to be negative, I know it doesn't seem that way but I just don't like to dwell on negative stuff.

So this was basically just another 'mediocre' episode for me I guess.

:unsure:

It was very...meh. 

For someone like Applejack who's worked on a farm her entire life long, I don't see her as the pony that will dwindle on past mistakes or suck at farming that much.  

I mean, the entire episode is about doing unnecessary things based on the past.  Judging how in the entire show of 6 seasons and she mentioned her dead parents once-I don't see her as someone who would linger on the past.

20 minutes ago, Lyipheoryia said:

It was very...meh. 

For someone like Applejack who's worked on a farm her entire life long, I don't see her as the pony that will dwindle on past mistakes or suck at farming that much.  

I mean, the entire episode is about doing unnecessary things based on the past.  Judging how in the entire show of 6 seasons and she mentioned her dead parents once-I don't see her as someone who would linger on the past.

Her not mentioning her dead parents more than once is more the writers than AJ herself though???

Okay, Applejack officially crossed over into silly pony-hood with this one, more even than she did in Applebuck Season. Farm work may be cyclical, but she never struck me as the sort to get into such a fixed routine after the underlying causes of said routine were fixed. She must have literally been feeding the pigs the hard way all her life to be that set in her ways. Still, a little more interaction between Rarity and Applejack is a good thing and the bits where Rainbow Dash was revealed to have her girly side (and gotten over her fear of hooficures, apparently) were cute. Overall, though, not the best one I've ever seen.

Edit: Okay, one funny part I forgot to mention amongst the mundane: Twilight's little "Mission Impossible" moment when she landed spread-eagled just above the ground in the pigsty. Even had music to match! That was cute.

Every season of MLP has had its share of 'clunker' episodes.

This was definitely a clunker.

What more can be said?

It was...ok. 

Of all the epic story lines this season, this one felt like something that should have been in Season 1! I was expecting something at the end like AJ admitting that she didn't like spa days and that working would be her fun thing to do. But then we got the strange way that AJ does her tasks. Overall, a very forgettable episode. 

Archived