W&D S01EP19 - A Dog and Pony Show

Tam

Okay everyone, the long wait is over! I actually ended up waking up JUST to set this topic up for everyone. lol

Get to watching and discussing! The floodgates are open!

ETA: Hey bronies! Please do me a favor and not openly link to downloads for the episodes. If you happen to exchange them in private (cough), that's cool, but just not in the threads. I basically just don't want to risk the wrath of Hasbro, even if that's an unfounded fear. :D KTHX.

I loved this episode. I watched it on hub this morning. The way Rarity got those dogs to do whatever she wanted... I love her "whining" and when she cried about being ugly.

Spikes little fantasy was pretty good too.

Overall I laughed the whole show through. Great episode!

I also really liked this one! :)

The humor was nice, the adventure feel to it was awesome, and I actually liked the insight to Rarity's ability with gems. The only thing that was off for me was the 'anti-moral' it also had.

On the one hand, it had the 'girly doesn't mean scaredy' message, but it also gave this vibe that you could get your way if you whined enough. Not the best message.

I really loved this episode. The humor was great, including Golum- er, I mean the Diamond Dogs. And especially Spike's daydream. xD Also, every time I see an episode starring Rarity, my respect for her rises exponentially. With this episode, she is nearing the top of my favorite character list.

In my opinion though, Spike stole the show. It's nice to see that they haven't abandoned the whole Spike/Rarity relationship, and it's also nice to see how much it's grown. Spike's feelings for Rarity have gone from a simple crush to real admiration. The best example of this (even though there were many throughout the entire episode) was the way Spike said and delivered "For me... from Rarity..." It was perfect. It's just too bad Spike doesn't get the attention he deserves. =P But I have a feeling we haven't seen the end of Spike/Rarity, and if that's the case, I think we're in for a real treat.

I think the message was more about not judging a book by it's cover. Sure she used whining and crying to get away, but the point was that she could help herself. Her friends just assumed she wouldn't be able to handle herself and was helpless because of her nature. So they were trying to show that just because you think someone is one way, unless you really get to know them, you may not realize their potiental.

"But I thooought you wanted whining!" LOL, she really did have those guys going the entire time. This episode, although not great, was pretty good and it made me like Rarity a little bit more now than before.

Suited for Success is still my favorite Rarity episode, but this was fine, plus Spike asking Twilight if he could have that one moment was priceless, lol.

Okay! I finally watched the episode. And I have to say, after the disappointment of the previous ep, I really really liked this one. I laughed a LOT, and it was all around just a fun show.

I really dig Spike, and this was a great episode for him. I also haven't been a fan of Rarity's at ALL -- she's one of my least favorite characters, and probably my least favorite out of the core... but they explored the character and actually showed some growth there. She expected a lot of Spike but was strangely kind to him with the gem, and I got the sense her voice actress REALLY had fun when it came to the whining. xD

"Balls Drop Spike" was funny as hell, but I liked the touch that the DRAGON was a WHITE KNIGHT in his fantasy. Also, when the ponies were sliding and jumped the gap... was that an Indiana Jones ref? I know I'd seen that in live action but couldn't remember where.

The animation jumped in quality, again, I think, and all around it just felt like everyone was having a lot of FUN working on it... and I really liked that.

I think one thing I love the most, is Rarity's voice. She's got such life and bounce, even when she's whining that just makes her so much fun to listen to. Though poor thing, all the abuse she has to go through...I didn't like the rolling over and giving in the diamond dogs did just to shut her up, but I guess they couldn't have been -too- mean... or even all bad! Maybe they'll turn out to have hearts of gold later elsewhere and help the ponies out with something. After all, how incredibly useful their talent of digging could come in handy!

BEST. EPISODE. EVER.

Seriously, this has the best animation so far, best story, and look! The overall message that the show is trying to convey! Women are not weak!

Really? I was under the impression the morale of the story was "Women whine to torture men and get what they want." Maybe I have a different point of view of something. :geek:

BEST. EPISODE. EVER.

Seriously, this has the best animation so far, best story, and look! The overall message that the show is trying to convey! Women are not weak!

Really? I was under the impression the morale of the story was "Women whine to torture men and get what they want." Maybe I have a different point of view of something. :geek:

Hmm... it could have also been that too... They say that all kids cartoons have both a youth meaning and a political meaning... XD

I think this episodes meaning was stated pretty clearly "Don't underestimate somepony just because's she's a filly."

If I was going to look deeper into it, Twilight's a filly, as are Dash and AJ, and the other ponies wouldn't have expected them to be useless if they were kidnapped, but they're all tomboys. What made the gang underestimate Rarity is her femininity. Femininity is often associated with weakness, but Rarity proves this isn't the case. Twilight realizes in the end that the "girly girl" can take care of herself pretty well after all.

This is the closest we've gotten to a Spike episode. <3 "An Hero" version of Spike!

Woah woah woah, an hero? That means he'd have to kill himself! :[

So uh, this is like my favorite episode so far. I love Spike, Rarity, Spike/Rarity... Macho Spike was hilarious! And all his dramatic "Nooooooo"s, and Rarity's whining... The more I see of Spike the more I want to see!

Anybody else think the diamond dogs were a dig at that awful-looking Pound Puppies show? At least one of the guys working on FiM has mentioned he and his coworkers agree that the only good thing about that show is the "secret butt fun" joke. And there was a lot of tail-grabbing and a rump-smacking.

I think this episodes meaning was stated pretty clearly "Don't underestimate somepony just because's she's a filly."

If I was going to look deeper into it, Twilight's a filly, as are Dash and AJ, and the other ponies wouldn't have expected them to be useless if they were kidnapped, but they're all tomboys. What made the gang underestimate Rarity is her femininity. Femininity is often associated with weakness, but Rarity proves this isn't the case. Twilight realizes in the end that the "girly girl" can take care of herself pretty well after all.

If one of the other ponies was captured the way Rarity was, everypony would still come to their rescue. But because it was Rarity in this instance, they didn't expect her to be able to fight back the way they all would.

I guess the moral was kind of "Pretty fillies can handle themselves, but maybe not in the way you'd expect." Or something.

This is the closest we've gotten to a Spike episode. <3 "An Hero" version of Spike!

Woah woah woah, an hero? That means he'd have to kill himself! :[

So uh, this is like my favorite episode so far. I love Spike, Rarity, Spike/Rarity... Macho Spike was hilarious! And all his dramatic "Nooooooo"s, and Rarity's whining... The more I see of Spike the more I want to see!

Anybody else think the diamond dogs were a dig at that awful-looking Pound Puppies show? At least one of the guys working on FiM has mentioned he and his coworkers agree that the only good thing about that show is the "secret butt fun" joke. And there was a lot of tail-grabbing and a rump-smacking.

Oh gosh, that new Pound Puppies. Facehoof

If one of the other ponies was captured the way Rarity was, everypony would still come to their rescue. But because it was Rarity in this instance, they didn't expect her to be able to fight back the way they all would.

I guess the moral was kind of "Pretty fillies can handle themselves, but maybe not in the way you'd expect." Or something.

I really think this one is as simple as what Twilight says, verbatim: "Just because somepony is ladylike doesn't make her weak."

They'd still come to, say Rainbow Dash's rescue, but their daydream sequences would probably show her bucking and struggling and making a mess, rather than fainting. It's not that Rarity was more in need of a rescue than the others, it's that they assumed the experience was somehow more trying or more difficult for her because she's ladylike.

True, they didn't expect her to handle it how she did, but they didn't expect her to handle it at all.

Given how commonly people do this RL, it's worth an episode.

hi hi

I liked the episode. I know a lot of people are going to say the moral is "whine and get whatever you want," but I think they are completely missing the point that Rarity was kidnapped! There was nothing trivial about her situation or complaints, unless you think kidnapping anypony is an ok practice. It is also a well known fact -which was demonstrated for the viewer with the dog whistle- that dogs have sensitive hearing, which is what Rarity deliberately used to her advantage.

History is replete with examples of successful nonviolent resistance. So I'd like to counter any complaints that the moral was "whine to get whatever you want," with the suggestion that the real moral was "you don't need violence to get whatever you want." Especially since almost all of the other pony's attempts at muscling through didn't work very well.