I think there are. Frankly G1 reminds me of cartoons I watched when I was a child in kindergarten. G2 is weird, but is more similar to G4 than G3. It's like G4 is connection of G1 and G2 with thousands of improvements and G3 is for brainless/little gurlz/fat and ugly fanboys.

Edit: maybe I insulted someone but G3 really kills mah brain

I think there are. Frankly G1 reminds me of cartoons I watched when I was a child in kindergarten. G2 is weird, but is more similar to G4 than G3. It's like G4 is connection of G1 and G2 with thousands of improvements and G3 is for brainless/little gurlz/fat and ugly fanboys.

Edit: maybe I insulted someone but G3 really kills mah brain

Well except for short clips or reaction videos I haven't really seen any other previous generation but I can tell just by looking that they all suck compared to Friendship is Magic plus i've heard people saw how bad they are too so yeah.

this topic has been brought up a few times, and there's actually a good number of people on Canterlot who love the older generations and grew up watching them. I personally don't think they're amazing, but they're not horrible either. I wouldn't mind sitting and watching a few episodes one day.

• Like 1

this topic has been brought up a few times, and there's actually a good number of people on Canterlot who love the older generations and grew up watching them. I personally don't think they're amazing, but they're not horrible either. I wouldn't mind sitting and watching a few episodes one day.

Ok i'd say that maybe everything would be worth checking out except for maybe G3 I heard that noone likes that.

I've watched the beginning of "Rescue at Midnight Castle", and it was pretty good. Too bad it was on Youtube and it always buffers. That was a G1 one, right? The one with Megan?

Anyway, G1 seemed to be good, but I watched a G3 one and it wasn't good IMO.

So, I do like an older generation, just not G3.

G1 has some great stuff in it, and some of G2 is pretty good.

The reason I love G4 so much though is, well, Faust. It reminds me heavily of my all time favorite cartoon, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.

G1 has some great stuff in it, and some of G2 is pretty good.

The reason I love G4 so much though is, well, Faust. It reminds me heavily of my all time favorite cartoon, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.

It does kind of feel like Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends but the fight scene with the changelings on A Canterlot Wedding part 2 reminded me of a Powerpuff Girls fight and coincidentally Lauren Faust worked on both shows alongside her husband Craig Mccracken.

I gave a try to G1, and deserved it! The movie from the '86 was good and had great V.A.,I would openly liked it back in the day...

Even tried to Watch Minty Christmas (G3) and almost got a seizure, but more due to bad Spanish dub or whatever made them translate even the names ("Pony arco iris" or "Rosita" don't got the same ding as "Rainbow Dash" or "Pinkie Pie" )

Even if in Spanish "Pie" means "Foot" (heh, at least Spanish G3 Cherilee and G4 Twilight Sparkle share same V.A. so that´s sort of a relief)

I gave a try to G1, and deserved it! The movie from the '86 was good and had great V.A.,I would openly liked it back in the day...

Even tried to Watch Minty Christmas (G3) and almost got a seizure, but more due to bad Spanish dub or whatever made them translate even the names ("Pony arco iris" or "Rosita" don't got the same ding as "Rainbow Dash" or "Pinkie Pie" )

Even if in Spanish "Pie" means "Foot" (heh, at least Spanish G3 Cherilee and G4 Twilight Sparkle share same V.A. so that´s sort of a relief)

I might watch some G1 in the near future but I don't think i'll ever watch G2 a.k.a. Tales or any G3 movies. :green: Then again I did say the same thing last year and now i'm a brony for nearly a year. :halo::D:)

I'm an MLP toy collector. I have 300 ponies and I've only been collecting since August. While I'm at it, might as well post an analysis of all the generations.

G1: Toys - The toys are pretty well made. A lot of different color combos for them, as well as interesting ponies. There are Twinkle Eyes, which have jewels in thier eyes, there are Glow 'n Shows, which are see thru and glow in the dark, and there are even ponies with eyelashes that look like bushy eyebrows! XD One large problem I have with the G1 toys is that they can get mold if they air dry after getting wet.

Cartoon - The 1st G1 cartoon had some dark themes. The villians were pretty badass (like Tirak). Tirak even threatened to chop Spikes head off in the pilot. The 2nd G1 cartoon, MLP Tales, was decent. The characters were more relatable. Sadly, they were all Earth ponies and there was no adventure.

G2: Well, G1 didn't have a show, so I can only talk about the toys. They were smaller, to start with. They all had jewels in thier eyes. They didn't do well in the U.S., so Europe got most of them, making a lot hard to find. They're made pretty well, the plastic can't get mold unlike the G1s.

G3: Toys - The G3 toys were probably the ones with the best quality. The plastic couldn't get mold, they were a good size, and they had a lot of different colors. They all had a shape in thier eyes, and had a heart on one hoof.

Cartoon - The animation was decent, at best. Stories, not so much. The molst interesting story was probably Runaway Rainbow, since a child went missing. Other than that, nothing. The characters wer bland and the most unique was was Minty, and even she was 'meh' at best.

G3.5: Toys - They looked like aliens. They were pretty good quality, not as good as G3 but better than the G4 quality.

Cartoon - The only one with a plot was Twinkle Wish Adventure, and that also sucked. Tha characters were more bland then the G3 ones.

G4: Toys - Bad quality, I go to open one and the eyes are printed wrong, or the hair is greesy as hell. There was a thread on the MLP Arena awhile ago where someone posted a Rainbow Dash they got and she had paint from another RD's cutie mark on the back of her wing, her head was loose and fell off after she was opened, and her hair was awful. Some G4s have dirt on them straight out of the package.

Cartoon - We all know how great it is.

Do you think that I should give G1 a chance like I did with Friendship is Magic last summer or is it like G3 where it's not worth watching?

It has some action and dark themes. At least check it out.

I'm an MLP toy collector. I have 300 ponies and I've only been collecting since August. While I'm at it, might as well post an analysis of all the generations.

G1: Toys - The toys are pretty well made. A lot of different color combos for them, as well as interesting ponies. There are Twinkle Eyes, which have jewels in thier eyes, there are Glow 'n Shows, which are see thru and glow in the dark, and there are even ponies with eyelashes that look like bushy eyebrows! XD One large problem I have with the G1 toys is that they can get mold if they air dry after getting wet.

Cartoon - The 1st G1 cartoon had some dark themes. The villians were pretty badass (like Tirak). Tirak even threatened to chop Spikes head off in the pilot. The 2nd G1 cartoon, MLP Tales, was decent. The characters were more relatable. Sadly, they were all Earth ponies and there was no adventure.

G2: Well, G1 didn't have a show, so I can only talk about the toys. They were smaller, to start with. They all had jewels in thier eyes. They didn't do well in the U.S., so Europe got most of them, making a lot hard to find. They're made pretty well, the plastic can't get mold unlike the G1s.

G3: Toys - The G3 toys were probably the ones with the best quality. The plastic couldn't get mold, they were a good size, and they had a lot of different colors. They all had a shape in thier eyes, and had a heart on one hoof.

Cartoon - The animation was decent, at best. Stories, not so much. The molst interesting story was probably Runaway Rainbow, since a child went missing. Other than that, nothing. The characters wer bland and the most unique was was Minty, and even she was 'meh' at best.

G3.5: Toys - They looked like aliens. They were pretty good quality, not as good as G3 but better than the G4 quality.

Cartoon - The only one with a plot was Twinkle Wish Adventure, and that also sucked. Tha characters were more bland then the G3 ones.

G4: Toys - Bad quality, I go to open one and the eyes are printed wrong, or the hair is greesy as hell. There was a thread on the MLP Arena awhile ago where someone posted a Rainbow Dash they got and she had paint from another RD's cutie mark on the back of her wing, her head was loose and fell off after she was opened, and her hair was awful. Some G4s have dirt on them straight out of the package.

Cartoon - We all know how great it is.

It has some action and dark themes. At least check it out.

Ok i'll definetly keep that in mind and do that. Maybe after I get back from vacation next week.

G1 is probably your safest bet for decent characters, a storyline, art, etc.

G2 is when the franchise really went all out for making it a "girly" series. So if you like ponies talking about boyfriends and playing sports, feel free to watch.

G3, and G3.5... I recommend you avoid like the plague... Especially the latter. Bad animation, one sided characters, this is where the series really took a nose dive. Only to be heroically revived by Mrs. Faust herself in G4

G1 is probably your safest bet for decent characters, a storyline, art, etc.

G2 is when the franchise really went all out for making it a "girly" series. So if you like ponies talking about boyfriends and playing sports, feel free to watch.

G3, and G3.5... I recommend you avoid like the plague... Especially the latter. Bad animation, one sided characters, this is where the series really took a nose dive. Only to be heroically revived by Mrs. Faust herself in G4

Ok thanks for the information.

• 2 weeks later...

*Chimping* Oh razor topic... :kissy: I be seen so far some loose episodes of the original series plus the 1986 movie, instead of derping on the differencies or rather the similarities, I consider both different things... Otherwise is like saying "baby's day out" must be good because feature human beings like "The Godfather" :mad:

There are good things, but the animation at least is slightly better looking in the Feature film, backgrounds were as they were before the BG art was lost in the great CGI flood of 1995, V.A. was good too, that was before the Michael Bay school of cardboard acting...

G1 was ok for what it was, and lasted a good amount of years till mid 90' when we got "Fugly, Very Fugly, and Fugly royale with cheese" yeah, and G4 :)

I'll be honest, G1 was pretty darn good considering it was a gender stereotyped show in the 80s. I sat through the entire second movie and I gotta say, the Smooze is actually pretty freaky and has a fairly dark concept.

Unstoppable tidal wave of sludge filled with swimming eyes and mouths that mockingly laugh at you as it carpets the world in impenetrable black tar? Not to mention any living thing it touches that doesn't get completely smothered to death is wrought with despair, anger, and hatred... Sounds like something Lovecraft would create.

Pretty sure that's where Lauren got the inspiration for Discordification, by the way. She DID watch the old show after all.

G4 is freaking amazing, but you gotta give credit to the roots, G1 was pretty darngood for what they had to work with and when it was made.