Fact of the matter remains that if you ask any single person that was a my little pony fan prior to 2010 what comprises generation 2, they will strictly say the Friendship Gardens ponies and will firmly put My Little Pony Tales with Generation 1. Because after all, the generations terminology is not taken from Star Trek, which is what people seem to be implying by giving the shows generation tags, but rather from the way Transformers toys were classified and rebranded (yeah, they had a show called "Generation 2", but it was ENTIRELY just a repackaged version of the original show. so really only referred to stylistic changes in the toys, which for a large part were just brighter repaints).

It's terminology rooted in toy collecting, so to call MLPT Generation 2 totally breaks any kind of sense it made. You can call the "chibi" style ponies of what is referred to as Generation 3.5 as such because it was only a stylistic change without any kind of break in between the releases. The characters were still essentially the same, the molds are just changed on the toy line, but not in a new and novel way because the ponyville line was released subsequently with the more classically styled G3s and g3.5 is just taking those g3 ponyville ponies and making them full sized..

You can't group the Friendship Gardens ponies in the MLPT, or try to call the MLPT ponies G2 and the Friendship Gardens ponies G 2.5 because there is ABSOLUTELY no relationship between the two. No setting, character, toy mold or any kind of similarity other than they're multicolored ponies. Even the MLPT ponies toys themselves were pedestrian molds (and only released in the UK to boot), most of which were put in use in 1984, and the regular My Little Pony Line was still ongoing while that was on, having no tie-ins with the show at all. This is when the really weird stuff like the colorswirl ponies and the mermaids came out.

Call MLPT 1.5 if you must refer to the shows as generations, but it's definitely not 2.

Plus the shows have distinct titles and are easily recognizable.

My Little Pony and Friends

My Little Pony Tales

My Little Pony Friendship is Magic

Etc.

i wouldn't think there'd be much confusion as there would be in a toy line.

Also, Rosewind. There was He-Man and She-Ra, which had Crossover characters and essentially, when it came to the enemies, the same toy line. The Hoard, which were totally just He-Man characters were actually from the She-Ra line, even though they were clearly just an extension of the original line.

Then there was a totally failed line called the Powers of Greyskull, which was pretty much remolds of the original line...with dinosaurs added, and is technically grouped in with the original MOTU line.

BUT, in 1990ish this abysmal cartoon called The New Adventures of He Man came out. And this is the horrible toy line that came along with it. If I can find a picture that accurately displays the weird joint that is ACROSS HE-MAN'S CHEST. I'd like to show it to you because it's one of the worst ideas I have ever seen (yeah, I used to have him. But he was too horrible even for me).

HeManLoose2a.jpg

Then again in 2001 or 2002, yet another He-Man cartoon came out, and a toy line from the Four Horsemen.

And finally the MOTU classics that are out now.

Also, Rosewind. There was He-Man and She-Ra, which had Crossover characters and essentially, when it came to the enemies, the same toy line. The Hoard, which were totally just He-Man characters were actually from the She-Ra line, even though they were clearly just an extension of the original line.

Then there was a totally failed line called the Powers of Greyskull, which was pretty much remolds of the original line...with dinosaurs added, and is technically grouped in with the original MOTU line.

BUT, in 1990ish this abysmal cartoon called The New Adventures of He Man came out. And this is the horrible toy line that came along with it. If I can find a picture that accurately displays the weird joint that is ACROSS HE-MAN'S CHEST. I'd like to show it to you because it's one of the worst ideas I have ever seen (yeah, I used to have him. But he was too horrible even for me).

Did you mean me or somepony else? I don't recall saying anything prior that would get a reply like this -- though that mysterious joint you're talking about sounds interesting! :D

Did you mean me or somepony else? I don't recall saying anything prior that would get a reply like this -- though that mysterious joint you're talking about sounds interesting! :D

Derp.

Nope, I meant dbzponyninja, sorry Rosewind!!!! THE AVATAR THREW ME I TELL YOU! :sniff:

I had the wrong figure from that line though. I had both of them and they were just so bland and forgettable.. If you look at this pic, that weird seam in the holster thing over his body....is a joint. Now, since his chest is oval in shape, and the joint is at a diagonal I think you can see how it would get weird fast when moved. DISLOCATED SHOULDER HE-MAN! Now with constipation face!

bp_he-man_accessoreis_front_full.jpg

I can't find a pic of a video of the figure in action, though. Also, he has a little stupid 90's ponytail molded into the back of his head.

It's okay, Flutterscotch! You know I'll always love you.

Even if you harbor G1 AJ.

darn straight. But I had a similar view to her that LF did. She was more of a bad flank and a tomboy than the G1 cartoon, and had a treehouse in the apple tree our back. I actually wasn't a huge fan of the show...it kind of annoyed me. It came at the tail end of my childhood pony fandom, and just happened to come between two other shows I loved (jem and gumby). So. Really it's only the toy AJ. I disliked her show counterpart, and had already had her in my "herd" for several years before I saw her animated counterpart...which was only when the show came out. Any movies we saw in theaters had to be both my brother and me friendly because we were pooooor and it was a treat.

darn straight. But I had a similar view to her that LF did. She was more of a bad flank and a tomboy than the G1 cartoon, and had a treehouse in the apple tree our back. I actually wasn't a huge fan of the show...it kind of annoyed me. It came at the tail end of my childhood pony fandom, and just happened to come between two other shows I loved (jem and gumby). So. Really it's only the toy AJ. I disliked her show counterpart, and had already had her in my "herd" for several years before I saw her animated counterpart...which was only when the show came out. Any movies we saw in theaters had to be both my brother and me friendly because we were pooooor and it was a treat.

Okie dokie loki (Pinkie Pie quote)