[Sponsored] The Grand Ballroom

USG3AI7.png?1

“Eh.”, she shrugged her shoulders, “That’s not generally something I put too much thought into.” Her eyes bounced around the large room, “But I could see why. A professionally tailored suit and a well made dress simply makes its wearer look good. It enhances what we consider our best and hides away things we’d not like to show. If it wasn’t for the summer, we’d probably wear clothes all the time.” Fire Walker lingered on the rather impressive Kirin for a moment, "Just look at her over there.", she whispered, "Everything she has on makes something that's already great even better. Geez, I need to find something else to look at since she makes me feel so fat and old.", the mare groaned as she scanned the room. Everyone was so dang beautiful or dashing, or dashingly beautiful.

The Pegasus grinned a little. Gosh, her colt-friend was mentioning Rarity a bit more than usual. "Mom picked up a dress for little Wind a few months ago at Lady Rarity's shop in Ponyville. It was a bit of a gamble knowing that there was always a chance that 'Little Blue' was getting ready for a growth spurt. But if they waited too long, the sudden 'Gala' crowd would have made getting a dress next to impossible. So they gambled and managed to do alright.", The red mare sighed to herself, "Normally you could just pop over to your nearest chain clothing store, find a shirt or a dress that best fits you and that's it, but little shops like the....erm...Carousel Couture? Carousel of Progress?", Fire could not come up with the name of the shop, "It's the experience. Being fitted, and finding just the right clothing that fit the customer's body and personality. That’s where all the extra bits go." Her stallion was obviously very nervous after his short rant with the Caribou as he was a bit on the rambly side. Thankfully, her fellow R.E.A officer managed to interrupt him with a sweet question.

"You truly went above and beyond as they say." Fire Walker knew the very brave mare would probably need to buy another uniform just to fit all of her extra metals from their previous little mission. She shook her head as the stallion mentioned how long they had been together. "It was an odd little day when we met." Knowing with all of the crowd noise and all the other ponies that wanted to talk to Star Crusader, Fire knew she had to make this short. "I was helping an old friend in Fillydelphia when I ran into another who was chatting with Swifty. He was supervising the renovation of his old family home.. A few things happened and poor Swift managed to bang himself up pretty good when he fell into a ditch...So after the paramedics were summoned, I sat with him and held his hoof until they arrived. Months later.", the mare managed to skip a TON of drama, we were a thing. "Brave Swift even managed to not only survive an encounter with Father, but also managed to finish a conversation with my brother Punk, without strangling him, and that's generally what one calls a miracle."

Fire smiled as Presteza's brother cantered in. Her old friend mentioned awhile back that she would be attending the Gala with her new colt-friend, Javasun. Hopefully they would run into each other before the event ended. Thankfully those who set up the Gala made sure everything was perfect or Silverheart would probably be making it that way.  "You're looking rather handsome Silverheart.", the mare said with a wink. And while she was curious of the good officer was here on the 'clock' or as an attendee, her question had to wait as Princess Luna strolled into view.

Being a proper Canterlot pony, Fire Walker curtseyed as the royal pony passed, "Your Royal Highness." She could not be even more proud of her princess of the night. Just a few years ago, the former Nightmare Moon would have avoided crowds and there was always her ROYAL VOICE she insisted on using. As long as she managed not to step on her sister this year, things should go rather swimmingly. Princess.Hmmmm

Fire Walker turned back to Star Crusader once things settled down, "You asked Swift and I...So it's my turn to ask you two...How did you managed to er, hook up? Last time the three of us were together, we were marching about in that old summer house of his..hers..hishers."

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

XqEzCsl.png

The moment his romance-laden words escaped his lips, Lími wanted to berate himself for speaking too rashly. Just what was it with Lián Mei that caused Lími’s heart to consistently override his deliberative nature? One of these days, the caribou bull was probably going to utter something so bold that the dragon mare would run off in indignation... or terror.

But that grim fate hadn’t come to pass yet. Although Mei verbally rebuked Lími for his words, she did not deny the truth in them either. And she stayed put, not making the slightest attempt to squirm her leg out of the caribou’s tender grasp. More importantly... by the gods did Mei look cute when brushing her mane! Seriously, Lími’s heart was going to melt into a pile of goop if the blushing qilin kept on doing that.

It was always said in the tales of the Viking Caribou that dragons had an innate love for flattery and showing themselves off. In that regard, the dragon mare fully lived up to the legends; when Mei finally broke contact, she did so for the purpose of giving Lími his unspoken desire to see that dress in its entirety. What Lími beheld... smote him utterly with open-mouth astonishment.

The tables and castle walls ceased to be visible; Mei twirled in her cheongsam, bathed in a sea of pastel colors and sparkles. Lími always thought in the past that the dresses worn in foreign countries were poofy extravagances, but the qilin’s gown managed to perfectly accentuate her slender figure. And then there was how the back half of the dress parted to provide the tiniest hint of her cutie mark. For reasons unfathomable to the caribou’s mind, being teased with an incomplete view of Mei’s flank only made her more desirable to Lími than ever before.

“Errr, right,” the bull remembered that he needed to say something back; “That dress looks- looks like..." Lími internally analyzed dozens of ways to describe his feelings in words, finding each method wanting. It looked like he’d have to speak without aid from his scrambled brain. “It looks as if sewed for a g-goddess... a dress that casts heavenly radiance upon the world.”

Well... that wasn’t half-bad by Lími’s standards.

“Heh heh,” the princely son of Sigrun rubbed his cape and gold-embroidered tunic, driven by subconscious instinct to puff up his chest and draw attention to his large figure (by pony standards anyway); “Truly the garb of a mere mortal cannot compare to the likes of the divine.”

.....Could they please start eating now?

"Don't worry about it, I actually thought that I was going to be late. My dress took me longer to put on and get right than I thought it would. I see you're wearing your favorite dress," she said with a smile. "And it looks amazing on you like always," she added before turning back to Bluebelle and Minerva. "Bluebelle, Minerva, I would like you to meet my very special somepony, and the most wonderful marefriend in the world. This is Fire Heart, Fire," she smiled lifting a hoof towards Minerva. "This is Minerva, she's the first mate on a griffon shipping vessel, and well, Princess Bluebelle I think needs no introduction," 

"Thanks," Fire Heart said blushing at the compliment as she met the others that Ice Storm was talking to. 

"Oh uh, Minerva Sheartalon. Nice to meetcha." 

"Nice to meet you as well. So, you're on a ship, huh? That must be neat seeing different places." 

The other pony there besides her special somepony was Bluebelle. There was something about her, like she saw her before, but Fire couldn't quite put her hoof on it. Maybe it was simply that the red unicorn saw her passing by. 

"I am pleased to meet you!  As it happens, I managed to not come alone this year myself."  

"Well that's a good thing that you have somepony with you at the Gala and in your life. It great to know when you know there's somepony who cares for you."

With that the mare looked over at her friend as she spoke of her time at the Crystal Empire. Even though Fire heard bits and pieces of the harrowing experience, it still chilled her to the bone hearing that the love of her life was in such pain. Of course Fire and Ice were only just getting to know each other back then, but still it was sad to hear. 

"Well, I must say that any day I'm alive is a good day, so that's a start. Aside from that I've been pretty well, and have been looking forward to this night for a while. Any night that gives me an excuse to dance with the most wonderful mare in the world," she spoke while draping her leg around Fire's neck, "is a perfect night for me. Although I really don't need an excuse to dance with her, the live band helps with that," 

"It's a perfect night for me too. I guess we all have our bad times, some worse than others. I don't think any of my troubles can come close to you being in a medical center in pain. But these nights when I can have fun and spend time with you are the best times. As long as I have these moments, then those bad memories are miles away!" 

The musicians were entering in and Fire was excited to dance! But there was something, or somepony, that appeared in the crowd: Princess Luna.

"Oh wow! Princess Luna is here! Ice, did I tell you about the nightmare I had where Luna helped me?" 

Spoiler

Sorry about the delay in posting. Also, River Hippo's Luna did the dream event with Fire Heart. 

Valen had to stop himself from bursting with excitement at the prospect of working at Rarity For You. How lucky was he to know the world's greatest designer and more than that be considered a friend? And how lucky a world did he live in where the best designer was also easily one of the friendliest and most considerate? Working there would certainly help improve his skills and would really give him the knowledge he needed to further his career. It would come as he helped a friend succeed- not that she really needed the help mind you, but it was the thought that counts. "Well, I think after the summer is over the Princess won't mind. But I'll make sure to ask her before the night is over! Oooh, maybe we an do so together, after the dance?"

Or, as the Princess advanced upon them, now. Bluebelle was being considerate in asking if she was okay, but Valencia had done a lot more on her hooves. These were comfortable shoes made for heavy workloads. She was used to spending hours up and down runways and backrooms in far less comfortable attire. There would be some time before the aches and pains became noticeable. The concern was appreciated though, however much a dancer she fancied herself she wouldn't dare miss what was coming next. "I am doing quite well, Your Highness. These legs-" she displayed her front right hoof and gave a bit of a 'shoo' motion as she spoke, "have quite a lot more left in them. I was wondering if I could ask you something, if that wouldn't be a bother. Miss Rarity here has most graciously offered me a position at Rarity For You once it no longer conflicts with my employment under you. Pray tell, on what date may I join her boutique?" She asked, the energy simmering right below her fine surface.

The energy also coursed through Rainbow to the extent that Valen was dismissed out of hoof. Well, some ponies certainly let fame get to their heads! Or she was distracted by her little colt friend, which was all the talk of Ponyville. Well, she'd make sure to leave the pair alone. They had more important matters to discuss, like their outfits. "Understood, Madame. I hope you enjoy the Gala!" He ended with a bit of friendliness. Sure it hurt to be dismissed like that, but Valen was a simple servant at a large gathering. It was nothing personal.

Silver was a pretty personal pony though. He had such a friendly and approachable demeanor about him! Obviously well heeled and raised and anypony who joined the service certainly deserved their fair share of praise just through their day to day actions, which brought honor upon them and their family. Equestria wasn't a military society by any stretch of the imagination but you could certainly hold a special place in your heart for those who were dedicated to saving your skin when the going gets rough. And today, he'd do his best to ensure that Silver got just the drink he needed. "Hmmm...I think a nice Pinot Noir would go just wonderfully with you, Sir. I'll make sure to get something just right for you!" He said excitedly, thinking about where to get the right Pinot Noir.

Wouldn't have too much guessing work with Dissy. She was pretty up front about what she wanted! At first Valen was confused as brown plaid wasn't a name he was familiar with, Then she mentioned some Fet Loch whiskey. Well that much he knew. Did they have any here? He didn't know. Much like Dissy herself, it could clash with the styles and happenings of such a gathering. The blunt taste of whiskey really did go well with the blunt, open-faced mare who requested it. "Well, I can't wait to hear what you play next, Madame. As for your drink- I do not know if we have Fet Loch Whiskey, but I will make sure to give a thorough look. Failing that, I will try to get something that is most pleasing," he said confidently.

He needed that confidence when in the presence of Luna! Alicorns were always intimidating, especially Luna and Celestia. So big, so regal! Their power was overwhelming but so was their presence. Valen could scarcely believe his uck that seeing them wasn't a wholly unknown affair, but that didn't make the encounters any less thrilling. And in this case, she didn't seem to want anything to drink. That was fine. The important thing was to ensure that she was there for her, because the Princesses had hard jobs and he wanted to make sure that today was relaxing for them. "Lady Valencia, Your Majesty. If you need anything further, feel free to call upon me," he said with a polite bow, exiting her field of view and heading towards the kitchen.

Which was just as well, because Tarsio was still there and being all Sky Piratey. "That's good to hear. I'd hate to be on a Sky Pirate's bad side," he said with spunk, hitting the kitchen with a laugh.

Ice Storm smiled and nodded as bluebelle nodded towards them before taking her leave to go meet with the other ponies that were starting to gather into the gala ballroom. Of course, the most notable pony that had entered the room had been none other than Princess Luna herself, and the dress that she was wearing was absolutely breath taking. Of course it was to be expected. Luna and Celestia had endless resources to make themselves look as beautiful as anypony could every imagine them to be and then more. Although the downside to both the princesses beauty and her presence in the ballroom was starting to show. Almost immediately ponies from all over the room began to flock over to her and start asking her things. Granted, it was more of the traditional things of how she was enjoying the evening and such. It was usually right around this time that Ice Storm would report any discoveries that she found may be of importance to the princess, or at the least important to Equestria.

Ice Storm herself would love to greet the princess tonight and be able to see how she was doing and just catch up on all the things she had discovered about the stars and actually have a chance to talk about them for once. However, Ice Storm knew to herself that even if she had a chance to speak with the princess tonight, she probably wouldn't get a whole lot of time to herself. She would have to address her at some point while she was with others, however, she would at least for a more opportune time when the Luna wasn't already overwhelmed by ponies.

That said, Ice Storm couldn't help but giggle when Minerva let out a little scoff at the notion that she would be dancing with the griffon that brought him here, simply because it would send the wrong message about them actually being together. "Well," she said through a giggle before calming down a bit. "I'm not sure how it is for griffon culture, but I know ponies dance with others that aren't their special somepony all the time. I know I have before, but I always at least make sure that if my Fire is here, she gets both the first and the last dance of the night. After all, there's nothing wrong with dancing with friends. That being said, if you're still looking for somepony to dance with later, once I've had a few with Fire, I'll come back and dance with you myself. Although I'll warn you, I kinda have four left hooves when it comes to dancing," she said unable to contain another giggle.

With that she turned to her lovely marefriend for the evening, whom also seemed to notice that the princess had arrived and how she had helped her with a nightmare that she had. "Oh, no you didn't!" she smiled as she saw more and more of the band setting up. "You'll have to tell me all about it during our dance! it looks like the band is about ready, so we should start heading that way," she smiled kissing Fire's cheek before turning back to Minerva. "We'll be back in a bit!!" she smiled before playfully pulling at her marefriend to come to the dance floor with her.

Despite the still lingering feeling of awkwardness, things had been going fairly well for Minerva. She wasn't normally the social type of griffon, most of her conversations lately had amounted to barking orders at idiot on the ship, or barking orders at idiots that they were robbing. It's what she knew, it's what she was good at! Small talk? Not so much. Which made things even MORE awkward. She was going to need a few pints before the night was through. Speaking of night, a quick glance at the clock showed that the night had barely started! Tarisio owed her big time.

At least there hadn't been any incident yet. Tarisio wasn't causing too big of a stir. No upstart guards were trying to rush in and arrest the two. That much at least was a relief. "Yeah it's...it's something alright. A lot of time I'm too busy keeping the crew in check to really take in the sights though, and when you've sailed the skies for so long it kind of blends together." Minerva shrugged softly. Sure it was still pretty, and yeah maybe a newbie to air travel would be awe inspired but it was still just the same old sky. And don't get her started on sailing through storms! "Yeah noooo. There's a big difference between dancing with friends and dancing with Tarisio. He's a great boss, don't get me wrong. He's also a feather brain. Besides, I don't really...dance. Not unless I'm really, really drunk. And no one here wants that. Except maybe me, and then I can just forget where I am. But yeah, it's fine, go enjoy your dance. I'm sure I'll be around somewhere. Probably here." Minerva waved a claw noncommittally.

She'd go and try to 'mingle', but most ponies would probably be more put off by her appearance than impressed by her dress. Still though, standing around wouldn't do anything for her, and so as to not appear impolite...Or at least not as impolite as she knew she was, she bid farewell to Princess Luna before she opted to stroll about the dance floor. Minerva wasn't looking to draw attention to herself, no more so she wanted to blend in. But the glittering and shimmering dress shone opulently and drew more than a few looks.

---

Meanwhile Tarisio's own gala experience had grown a little more dull, as the lovely little maid had to depart once more for her job. Such a shame! Perhaps, the griffon thought to himself, he would have to make plans to greet her after the gala was said and done. For now though he weighed his choices. Gently sipping his wine, Tarisio soon sat the empty glass down upon a nearby table and gazed around at the sights. Once again the purple maned beauty caught his eye just as her name struck him! Rarity! Her name preceded her as one of the greatest up and coming fashionistas ever. And of course the pirate had heard of the little run in another crew had at a recent fashion show. Tsk tsk, the nerve of some pirates. It wouldn't do to just announce himself as one to the mare, but he couldn't set back and let the opportunity to introduce himself at all pass by!

Waiting for a lull in conversation between her and the group of ponies nearby which included another of the more famous ponies in Equestria, Rainbow Dash, Tarisio strolled his way over and bowed politely to the group as a whole before speaking to the fairest of them all. Buonasera! Forgive me, I hope that I'm not intruding too rudely." he said with a soft smile. "But I recognized the one and only Rarity from across the way and just could not pass up the opportunity to meet such a starlet."

While Princess Bluebelle would have admitted to a bit of a worry at the beginning of the evening, she was buoyed by a reasonable confidence of its success, now that it was approaching full swing.  Auntie Luna had even agreed, tentatively, to dance.  If she did, it would be a true first, and a wonder!  A sign that Princess and ponies had been truly reconciled and integrated.  Not to mention, a social triumph for the mare who set up the whole event, ahem ahem.

Internal self-aggrandizement aside, hearing Rarity compliment Carrot Field's attire prompted the royal mare to take a closer look at him.  There were still stallions in Canterlot that would make the old, stale jokes about the kilt, but given that she herself was, from a certain point of view, a stallion in a full-on dress, Blue was not in a position to make them herself.  Hm, yes... she had to admit, he was fine looking stallion alright.  "Well!  It seems I must compliment you on your taste in dates, Miss Dash.  My own hails from Fet Loch herself, though her accent is less regional."  Not to mention that she was the daughter of the freaking DUCHESS of Fet Loch, but the Princess would let the rumor mill carry that little brag for her.

Oh, and it seemed Valencia was holding up very well indeed!  And received another modeling offer... Bluebelle had to consider the maid's request for a bit, as Valen had really been a help to her.  And, of course, there was the fact that this whole business had begun in order for the colt to discover what he really felt about being a filly.  There would need to be time for debriefing, at the very least... "I think... two weeks?  That should be enough to clear out all the business surrounding the Gala take-down, and put the house in order before I leave for my next trip.  Not to mention, you have one or two things you wanted to sort out yourself, right?"  Smiling at this gentle reminder, she caught a glance of the musicians taking the stage out of the corner of her eye.  

"Oh, it seems as if the dancing is about to start!  If you'll excuse me, I have to retrieve my date..."  The Princess departed with a graceful sashay, which did a very good job of hiding the internal giddy-good feelings coursing through her.  A real dance, with a real mare she actually loved!  It was such a rarity in the social world for her.  But as excited as Bluebelle was about it, she knew that Star was even more so, though the amazonian mare did a better job of hiding it.  She just missed the arrival of Tarisio, who probably regretted missing her sight once again.

Sweeping over to the giantess with a swish of golden mane and black cloth, she nuzzled up to Star Crusader's side, stretching up to her ear.  "The dancing is about to start.  Are you ready?  They've cleared out the center floor for us."

With the constant flow of ponies coming and going Dissy slowly remembered why she wasn't a fan of shindigs like this. It was a chore to keep up with everything and everyone. Silver was clearly not comfortable with being familiar, he seemed to sputter at the thought of calling her something more familiar and regular. She didn't get why, sure she was dolled up for the night, but she wasn't no highhat stiff. At the very least her opening question seemed to calm him down a bit, even though he was still clearly nervous. "Saddle Arabia, eh? That's one place I've hoped to go. I'm not so sure about Whitescar though... Perhaps the capital one day." Dissy giggled a bit when he mentioned sickness. "Ya know, it ain't the end of the world to be under the weather every once and a while. That's usually a chance for you to slow down. Sometimes you just gotta go with it." Dissy retorted to the nervous stallion.

It didn't take long for Dash to approach. "Hey there Dash. I saw your show and it was one helluva show at that." Dissy smiled. "I gotta say I didn't expect to see ya all dolled up like this in the ball room. If ya stick around I'll be sure to play somethin' a bit more hoppin for my solo. I'm sure you wouldn't mind that" Dissy said with a wink. Dash was one of those mares that made it plain as day that she preferred exciting to boring. 

Another stallion appeared, whom Dissy was not acquainted with. She decided to approach him to greet him. "Hey there sugar. I'm Harmonic Dissonance. I'm one of the musicians hired for this gig. If there's anything you want, you just let me know, kay?" Dissy cooed at him. "Dissy looked about at everypony "That goes for all of you as well. I'm sure I could pull some strings to get the band to play some requests." Truth be told she wasn't sure if the other musicians would be able to keep up with her if they did take requests, but Dissy figured if they got hired for this, they better be up to snuff for knowledge of music and be able to improvise at least a bit. Most good musicians could. 

She turned to Rarity who gave an offer to come by one of her shops. "I might have to take you up on that Rarity. Perhaps you might even take my measurements and set me up with some new digs." Dissy said with a bit of a playful smile. "You have multiple shops now right? I'm running out of excuses to stop by then. Maybe you could show me Canterlot Carousel after the gala" Dissy said with a wink.

Princess Blueblood approached her greeting her. Wait... wasn't the princess supposed to be a prince...? She shook it off... magic was a weird thing... She supposed a stallion could become a mare... "It's alright. I'm on the first set? That's news to me, but that's alright, that just means I got another solo later on as well." Dissy smiled. "The piano's all ready I just need to get up and play, the musicians already know me we had a rehearsal the other night. They are also pretty good at following leads. So we can make this night rather interesting if we want." Dissy gave a wry smile. She made it clear that she was planning something. "Speaking of, before I start, the offer for requests is still open. It will be played at some point."

Valencia was unsure if they had any Fet Loch whiskey but promised to find something suitable. "Thanks doll. I'll look forward to it. If I'm on stage before you get back, feel free to place the drink on the piano." Dissy smiled at the maid. 

Dissy noticed the time and all the ponies moving towards the dance floor. Well that was her cue to make her way to the stage. Now the question was to start off slow or do something crazy... Dissy already knew the answer... she couldn't throw a curveball for the first song. Now the only question remained was a waltz or something a bit less conventional... She alerted to the other musicians she was to do a waltz and to follow her lead, as they would know what to do. Without a second thought she started playing.

iqY7dA5.png

If she was capable of preening anymore, her mane and tail would probably be standing on end.

As it was, Mei contented herself with another cursory grooming of the hairs of her tail, the appendage twisting around her side so that she could still give Lími a view of her profile. And she had already known that her cheongsam was very fine, of course, but to hear it from the Reindeer's lips - and in such eloquent terms, as well - had a shiver of pleasure racing down Mei's spine. Yes...she rather liked the image of a garment woven only for some sky-ridden deity being draped across her figure instead, as the dress-maker realized such loveliness could only be befitting on her frame.

Though if that were the case, it would have definitely been an intricately embroidered robe instead of a cheongsam, something flowing and elegant that draped along the ground behind her as he strode through the streets - no, as she was carried through the streets, surrounded on all sides by her royal guard and elites. Shimmershilk, that shone and glistened in the sunlight...perhaps something like a hanfu, like a...coronation robe. 

...Or something.

Briefly lost in the fantasy as she was, Mei almost missed Lími's continued statement as he referenced garments made for mere mortals - a comment that had her eyes, inexplicably, being drawn towards the Reindeer's chest, and the finely gilded tunic resting on it...

Er. 

Her eyes were drawn to the tunic. The...the tunic. Yes. 

Said tunic stretched and fitted in just the right places, but that was surely just a small detail that added to its craftsponyship, Mei was certain. And it was most assuredly a very fine tunic. Combined with his cloak, the entire ensemble seemed rather princely, in her eyes, almost like an elegantly decked out warrior prince who saved the kingdom and won the heart of the Empress. Though the idea of her sweet Lími being anything akin to a warrior was ludicrous, but the image was all the same. Amidst a myriad of ponies who sported bowties and suits and those little vest combos that really made them look like serving staff, Lími's outfit stood out. 

Along with the Reindeer himself, but that was probably because he had gotten rather large, in her absence. 

Mmm...rather large indeed...

"Just so," the bright blue Qilin teased, tail moving back to extend in a perfect line from her back and spine, "but you wear it well, LÍmi." One of her cloven hooves came up to lightly brush against the tunic's collar, Mei humming slightly under her breath as she got a closer look at the golden trim. "Was this hoof crafted for you, as was mine? Or is it a recent purchase of yours, acquired in far off lands filled with crystal spires?" Mei was honestly only half interested in hearing an answer, an more interested in watching the play of gold being reflected every time her hoof made the slightest movement against his collar.

Rather hypnotic, it was. 

Her attention was quick to rebound, however, as the unmistakable strains of music suddenly began drifting through the ballroom, causing Mei's head to abruptly rear upwards to search for the stage. Indeed, musicians had taken their places, and the dance floor was already filling with couples indulging in their first dance of the evening. "Oh, that looks like fun," Mei sighed, a wistful note in her voice as she glanced up at Lími.

And rather pointedly cleared her throat, eyes flicking back towards the dance floor.

0CeCtKvm.jpg

"Oh you know, Pressy: Always out and about. Her coltfriend and have have been drifting exploring lately but I think she's getting ready to actually stay put and focus on doing her art rather than all the travelling." Little did Silver know: his sister was now a friend to the Empress of Long Guo who was visiting... and had now been appointed as a temporary royal artist. "She's been wandering about the Palace a lot since she came in rather early. She gave me her word she wouldn't get into any trouble... so I'm sure she'll do her best tokeep out of it. AT least here she's not likely to be kidnapped by a dragon." The stallion let out a weary sigh, furrowing his brow before trying to perk himself up again with a more pleasant remark about his sister. "Don't tell her I told you this... but apparently she's been wanting to set up a shop in Ponyville... But she said she wants to see some more places before she does."

"As for Miss Pommel. She's indeed quite the multitasker... I worry that she may burn herself out if she pushes too hard though..."

It was amazing to hear of Rainbow Dash's achievement! He smiled brightly at the pegasus, "I always knew you had the skill and talent to make it! Ponies and even a few griffons are going to be talking about you for ages!"

The princess of the night seemed especially personable tonight. Silver had heard she could be a bit moody sometimes thanks to the unique predicament she'd found herself in. Being more or less plucked out of the world for a thousand years and then having to get back to living on when some vaguely explained events in the past caused you to turn evil and then being sealed away and returning just in time to realize that you were one thousand years out of sync with the rest of the world... Thankfully though according to the reports, as usual Princess Sparkle and her friends managed to help her out and avert some strange dreambased crisis. In response to the princess' words Silver simply bowed in respect.

"Umm... Well you'll have to forgive me for being so starstruck..." The stallion shuffled his hooves a moment and blinked, "How have you been enjoying the Gala so far, Miss Sunrise?"

The stallion's blush returned again, his face heating up a moment as fire complimented him. She looked amazing tonight... easily a match for the rest of the mares present. Silver's thought about her date weren't as bright. Squall seemed ever the Firebrand in his eyes, a talented and potentially great pony but always prone to thinking too much about something but somehow simultaneously acting without thinking first. Despite his disagreements with the stallion Silver would still be polite to the couple. "Thank you, Fire... it's wonderful to see you again after so long. You as Well Sir Squall, I hope you are enjoying the evening too." With the appearance of Squall and Fire and even Rainbow Dash here with a date Silver couldn't help but feel a bit out of place.

Valencia's wine suggestion was interesting... Silver probably should have been listening closer. "I shall trust in your Judgement, Ma'am." 

Dissy's thought's on sickness were interesting to hear, "Well I don't disagree... but could you tell those in my charge that? There's on mare there I'm pretty sure is still a bit sore about that mess." Soon though, Miss Harmon-- or Dissy, was off to the stage to begin the music. As usual, her musical talent and skill were evident in every tiny movement as she played away on the piano... but Silver was still in a tough spot with no dance partner. Well, it might be best for that since he wasn't accustomed to dancing to this sort of music... and in general he hadn't been ballroom dancing in a long time. Instead he just stuck by his group. "Well... um I'll be sure to watch everyone from here. Can't shake the old royal guard habits so soon, Can I?" He asked in an attempted jovial tone.

At Rainbow's compliments, Rarity shook her head. "Oh no, darling. I'm hardly such an inspiring sight compared to you tonight..." she said softly. It was the truth. Rainbow had gone all out to make herself look beautiful, almost as if she was out to impress someone.

Then came Rainbow's other remarks, about the previous gala. Rarity blushed from embarassment. How impolite of her was it to forget, but everything of that night beyond the dance she had shared with the rainbow-maned pegasus herself was a blur to her. "Ah... yeah... that's right... isn't it?" she said still unable to recall the dance with Carrot with any ease.

She nodded at the stallion however as he spoke of his outfit. At his words about Ponyville she laughed. "Indeed. I often wonder how I found any success in such a town as our home where the fashion of the day is to go about without a stich of clothing."

At the comments of both Carrot and Rainbow suggesting they dance again, she smiled and then she looked at Rainbow looking so radiant again. "Well... I-I... I mean, if you'd like to... I-I'd love to share a dance," she said, clearly flustered.

That was when Princess Bluebelle spoke up again. Rarity was smiling dreamily at the thought of dancing with Rainbow when the words hit her.  "Well!  It seems I must compliment you on your taste in dates, Miss Dash." Rarity's eyes widened. She looked to Rainbow and then to Carrot. No. It couldn't be, could it? They were just friends, right? What about that crush Rainbow always seemed to have on her? She wouldn't let her attention be pushed in a different direction entirely so easily, would she?

Rarity stared blankly as the thoughts swirled in her mind. She felt small and terrified, like something had just broken. It had to be a mistake, right?

"Oh, I think you're mistaken. I'm sure I'd know about it, if Rainbow was dating someone," Rarity said her voice slowly building in confidence.

Wanting to point her attention elsewhere for a moment, she turned to some of the others, starting with Valen. She nodded as he suggested speaking to Bluebelle and she stood with him as he asked her. "I hope you don't mind, Princess," she said once the exchange between the two was through. "As remarkable as our young friend here is, I can imagine you'd have liked to keep her in your employ longer."

Rarity was then approached by someone she had not met before, a male griffon in a stylish red suit. He proceeded to praise her in a way Rarity was not unfamiliar with. Rarity smiled for the comment, even as she wasn't sure she was in the mood to be flirted with just yet. "It's always a pleasure to make the acquaintence of such a gentleman," Rarity said to him. "To whom, might I ask, do I owe that pleasure?"

And then there was Miss Dissonance. Rarity had been unsure before, but now she knew the mare was flirting with her in a rather scandalous way. Rarity had come to rather appreciate this mare from the events they had shared, however, so, what might have been off putting to her from someone who didn't know her so well, was much more well recieved. With the question of Rainbow's status in question, there was honestly a chance she'd let it go somewhere.

"You're as bold as ever, Miss Dissonance," she sid with a small laugh. "But yes, I have three boutiques now, with the latest in the fine city of Manehattan. I'd be pleased for you to stop by sometime for me to 'take your measurements', as you say."

As Harmonic went to play again, filling the hall with a delightful waltz, Rarity then looked toward Silver again, nodding as he spoke at length of their shared acquaintences.

"Wow... and I thought I was seeing a lot of excitement of late. Presteza really knows how to live life to its fullest. The Empress of Long Guo, huh?" she said. She recalled that said Empress was there at the Gala tonight and Twilight and Fluttershy were going to be treating with her. "It would be great to have her as a neighbor in Ponyville. If she does wish to start a shop there, tell her to come to me. I'd love to help her get started."

When he eventually made his comments about standing watch while everyone else danced, Rarity shook her head at him. "Nonsense, dear. You should dance too," she said. "As fine a stallion as you should have no trouble attracting a dance partner," she said. 

"You have one right here, in fact, if you wish it." She smiled to him brightly.

Sunrise smiled a bit at Silver's response, waving off the apologies before responding to his own question. 

"I am enjoying it quite thouroughly, thank you for asking, sir Silver. The only thing it seems to be missing is somepony to share it with." She replied, smiling at him still. In all honesty, she wasn't sure if she wanted any relationships at the moment, but spending the night with a stallion sounded like a wonderful time and Silver was such a nice stallion. 

"How have you been enjoying yourself?" She asked, though her attention was soon turned to the dance floor as some music started up. She sighed a bit wistfully, turning back to Silver just in time to hear him say he would stay back. She was about to say something about that when Rarity beat her to the punch. 

"I am in need of a partner as well, if you so choose." She offered, looking at the two. She also gave a look to the griffon that hopefully conveyed that the offer extended to him as well. Of course, she would wait for Silver before she responded to any offers from the griffon. 

Two weeks was the Princess' reply and that jived with what Valencia was thinking. No doubt there may be a quicker way out of it but the Princess had been admirably kind and considerate in helping Valencia and there would not be poor ending to this little adventure as long as Valencia had something to say about it. Ad she was right in any case. Besides all the normal elements of her job, Valencia did have to decompress the experience and try to form an answer from it. If she could. It could be because of all the activity in her space right then but try as she might, no progress was being made inside of her head on the answer. She thought. "Of course, Your Highness. Two weeks should be plenty to do all of that!" She replied confidently, not betraying her lack of an answer.

------ 

It was time for drinks.

First up, Dissy's request for Fet Loch Whiskey. It wasn't a common request at parties ike this as it certainly didn't suit the tastes of the high and mighty in Canterlot society. However, this was not just any party and for the same reason this year saw so many more normal ponies enter, Valen found whiskeys and drinks he wouldn't have expected. Including a nice bottle of Fet Loch Whiskey! Many of their whiskey brands look to their old language for inspiration and this one, Neighburn Arranta, was no different, taking it's name from a word that means "intrepid and daring", This whiskey was made by a family known for sweeter, almost delicate, whiskeys that came around with a huge punch. The golden hue of Neighburn Arranta hints at aromas of toffee, honey and spice. Vanilla is present on the palate, along with bright citrus notes. The use of first-fill former bourbon casks creates a bold flavor profile. He poured Dissy her drink, pleased he had it for her.

Now for the Guard, Silver. He needed something that was of high quality, very much like his character, sokething reflective of the grace and honor that comes with serving the nation in such a manner. A rich flavor profile and distinctiveness about it to match the richness of his personality and the looks that nopony could forget. It took a few minutes as he search for the proper Fet Loch whiskey for Dissy, but eventually Valen though he found something suitable for Silver. Le Pré Du Col Pinot Noir from Bergstrum Vineyards outside of Calnais. Supple, seductive and distinctive, with pure blueberry fruit, shaded with white pepper, pear skin and floral character. The flavors dance merrily into the long, deftly balanced finish. Offers presence and intensity without extra weight. Certainly a crowd pleaser.

And that was it. Nopony else needed anything currently, and Valen could hear the wonderful tones of Dissy- she was at work, and that meant soon it would be time to dance. What fun!

-----

Valen made his way out into the Ballroom as the dancing begun, thanks in large part to the most wonderful music being played. It seemed slightly different from what he had heard in other Ballroom dances, a bit faster, a bit more melancholic even perhaps, but that was the soul of a musician, was it not? In any case, Dissy was the first pony to get her drink, Valen maneuvering with grace between the crowd on his way towards the piano. He placed the drink on the strategically placed counter next to the piano, in reach of Dissy but not in a position to hurt anything should it unfortunately fall. "Madame, your Neighburn Arranta," he said quickly, pulling away to let her focus on her beautiful work.

Then it was Silver. He was getting swamped with requests and possibilities when it came to the dance floor and now was no time to start drinking. The demands and commands of the dance left no room for lollygagging. He set the drink down on a table and quickly informed Silver. "That is your drink, Good Sir. A nice Le Pré Du Col Pinot Noir from Bergstrum Vineyards outside of Calnais. I am sure you will find the taste most invigorating," he said with some passion, before blending black. Hopefully it would meet with his appoval. He then set the tray down in a safe place and looked around, loosening up a bit. 

It was time to dance. The only question was, following the proper protocol, who'd offer Valen a dance tonight?

XqEzCsl.png

Lími's turn to preen on the inside came next, now the recipient of Mei's own compliments. Being endlessly doted on by his foster mother for looking like a dashing Prince of Askr was one thing. Those sorts of words held far more power when uttered by the object of the young bull's affections. Oh, and it also helped that Mei's electrifying touch sent shockwaves through the caribou's body. All Lími could do was quietly gasp and let his cheeks blush bright red, paralyzed by a sensation comparable to... contentment.

In other words, Lími was at the complete mercy of Lián Mei.

"Well, umm," the caribou fumbled with his words; "It is... a little of both, truth be spoken....." Lími was not in a state of mind to answer to the fullest, but the tunic was something that was... what was the word...? Ah yes, tailored; tailored in a seamstress's shop in Heil, the Caribou Capital. Not that Mei would have cared though; her gaze — and hoof — remained transfixed on Lími's neckline. So much for the caribou keeping it cool.

By Lími's reckoning, it seemed that with each moment that passed this Gala, the more boundaries that crashed between he and Mei. With each crossed boundary, the caribou bull's hopes that the night would end with a positive outcome were raised ever so slightly.

That all came to a screeching halt with the commencement of the ballroom dancing... and Mei making her desires most explicit.

A dancing-adverse Lími gulped. Forget about worrying whether his heart could be entwined with Mei's by the end of the night; his chances with the pretty qilin weren't going to last five minutes out on the dance floor!

Nonetheless... if a Viking Caribou was deprived of the chance of winning a glorious battle, then they'd happily settle for the next-best thing: dying heroically in a glorious battle. Lími might be fighting in war that he had no chance of succeeding, but valor in the face of certain defeat would always be celebrated in the epics of the caribou loremasters. Running away... wouldn't. No guts, no glory!

"Eh, heh heh," the awkward bull with the anti-poker face attempted to preemptively explain his total lack of dance skills; "I m-must warn you; our- our kind... are unaccustomed to the dance styles o-of other lands." Lími wasn't an idiot though; the dragon mare was never going to take "no" for an answer. Leaning closer to Mei's face, the princely bull offered reassurance by softly taking a cloven hoof of his to the qilin's cheek.

"But who am I..." Lími willed a plucky smile into existence; "T-to deny the wishes of the fair Lián Mei?"

Princess Luna smiled when she heard the name of the enthusiastic pony that went to greet her. "a pleasure, Miss Valen." she said with a small smile and a small nod before she looked back, oly to see Valen had gone. Wondere where, but she decided not to look fir her. She was sure Valen had a reason to go. Well, that was a way to make an exit.

The same could be said about the other pony she had greeted. She soon found herself alone, although she greeted a few ponies that passed as well. 

"Good evening." she replied to a pony that had passed near her. A red pegasus mare. She simply smiled as she greeted and turned to another side just to see a pair of ponies she sort of recognized.

The first one was a mare she one day helped withba dream long ago, though she didnt remembered the details. She had done so much since that. 

The second one was none other than Ice. She smiled and soonenought started walking with them, making sure she didnt foegot somepony to greet or talk to in her way there.

"Good evening." she said with a sma bright smile to them

(sorry for lack of colors. Posting on phone has limits)

Well things certainly seemed to have gotten busy. But it was good to see that Crusader’s friend had met her coltfriend under… romantic(?) terms. Well… the large Amazonian mare probably couldn’t say much. She and the Prince had became a unit under some peculiar circumstances as well. Love is weird in the world of equestrian it seems. And it can only go more a strange.

But then… there was a mention of a Punk Walker. The mare immediately blinked. She had never made the conclusion that… stallion… was Fire’s brother. Oh dear… if only she knew the trouble that he stirred up. “Punk Walker is your brother? I believe he might have told you this, but he managed to light a landmine on fire and step on it too.”

The mare hummed softly. She moved a hoof up to her chin as she began to recall some details mentioned by her mother. “Apparently he has erred so horrifically that she turned my mother into a walking storm when she got back home, in Fetloch. A poor rampaging dragon got caught in the crossfire. She single hoofedly head-butted him into submission. And that only sated a small fraction of the rage…”

She cleared her throat and met her with a blank stare. The sort of look that showed just how unsure of what the Pegasus had witness from her own mother. “Fortunately… my father is very good at calming her down. She… was…” she paused for a moment remembering her mother’s behavior, and found some different and more appropriate words to use, “well beyond relaxed. You can tell your brother he won’t have to duck around her in the future… but do try to be careful. I imagine the Calvary to be a stressful position.”

And while Crusader will admit she has a very strange family… she wouldn’t replace it for the world. Best one eyed mom… ever.

Well… there came another voice. A softer one. The mare glanced to the side to find a familiar face in the crowd. It appears the mare like stallion, Silver Heart, had made an appearance this evening. She offered a small smile to the stallion and gave a polite bow of the head.

“Thank you, it is good to see you again as well, Silver. However, we’re in the progress of recruiting more. If you have any recommendations, I will be happy to hear them.” In truth... she had thought of offering the option to Fire Walker. She’d more than qualify and wouldn’t need to pass any sort of examination or go through training. Buuuuut… the Crusader wasn’t entirely sure if she wished to join. Fire did seem to have her own ambitions. And it’s best not to impede.

Next, the mare felt a nudge at her side.

The mare then looked down to the princess, and smiled warmly to her.  Crusader lowered her muzzle to give the mare a kiss on the lips before moving her lips near her ears. A brief concerned glance up to Rarity… revealed a mental state of a mare that’s soaring into desperation.

She whispered softly, leaving it for the Princess’s ears alone. “Love… I’m afraid I will need to make a request. In the event that rarity is unable to find a dance partner, I’d like to submit this first dance to Rarity. She might be stuck at the point of being placed on a pedal stool and roped off by all possible romancers. I am unsure of how that may feel… but I do imagine it’d be damaging to the psyche.”

"Heh.  Of course, Rarity!  Dancing's awesome!"  She didn't know why Rarity even had to ask.  The mares all danced together at Pinkie's parties all the time.  Rainbow Dash waited until the maid was a little further away, then leaned close to Rarity, her wing brushing against Rarity's side.  "Does she look exactly like Valen to you?" she murmured softly.  Well, softly for here at the Gala.  There were a lot of ponies.  She was aware of other ponies talking to her, but she focused in on one voice saying something she did not expect.  Princess Bluebelle, declaring her to be on a date.

Dash's eyes widened.  What?  Just because he went showing up, and said hi, they just assumed?  And Rarity's comment ... oh, geeze.  Dash felt her face burning up.  Rarity was her best friend.  Or one of them.  None of her friends was really best pony or anything, you couldn't compare them to each other that way, but they were all her best friends.  And Dash had been trying on and off to get advice from her about Carrot for weeks, but she'd never been able to get it out of her mouth.  Rainbow Dash, asking for romance advice.  She swore she'd never turn into one of those cloudbrained schoolfillies talking about nothing but colts.

"Hahaha!  Date.  You gotta put a label on it?  I mean, we're hangin' an' stuff... he's a friend, a good friend!  A great friend!" she said awkwardly, eyes wide.  She looked in a brief panic towards Carrot.  Let out a tiny little awkward noise.

"RarityIGottaTalkToYouAllRightSeeyaAllLaterBYE!"  There was a sudden *pshaw* and all that was left in front of the rest of the ponies was Rarity-and-Dash shaped clouds of dust as Rarity took off for a secluded corner of the ball room to have a quick talk with Rarity.

"Rarity!  I keep trying to tell you ... but I get so embarrassed and I can't get my tongue to work.  I mean, not embarrassed.  I'm too awesome to be embarrassed.  But just... ahhhh, I can't even come up with another word!  Fine, I'm embarrassed!  But I ... Nngh.  I feel like my daredevil license is gonna be revoked.  I was trying to come up with the right way to ask you for advice on this ... but see I ... I just gotta say it.  Carrot over there ... and I dunno if this is a date or not and I been trying to ask your advice for weeks and ohmigosh, Rarity, what am I going to do?  I don't know anything about this sorta thing!"

It wasn't that long ago that kissing publicly on the dance floor was considered 'scandalous.'  At least, Blueblood could remember a certain amount of kerfuffle around one such incident in the first Gala that he ever attended.  After recent events, however, such a taboo seemed frankly silly even to the starched-collar sort.  For her part, Princess Bluebelle was perfectly willing to literally kiss that trepidation goodbye, right in front of everyone.

"Mmm...."  She smiled as she pulled away from Star Crusader's lips, though her eyebrows quickly raised upon hearing her next request.  "Oh?  I shouldn't have thought she would have trouble with that.  Between Silver and..."  Her whisper trailed off as she saw Silverheart take up with another mare.  Who was she... another designer?  Oh, yes, the other mare that had come in behind Ice and Fire Heart.  Sun... something.  "Hm, well, there's still the griffon."  She offered, knowing that it was something of a long shot.  Rarity was the sort of lady that might or might not respond to that sort of flattery; one could never tell.  Before anything could be determined, however, the mare was pulled aside by her friend for what looked like an emergency consultation.  Did Rainbow not actually know the waltz steps?  It wouldn't have surprised Bluebelle.

"She seems otherwise occupied.  But if you're alright with it, I will definitely save one for her."  She smiled up again at her guard, stepping back to offer her hoof.  Whatever anypony else thought, the Princess was convinced as she ever was of Star Crusader's bona fides as far as being a real Lady was concerned.  The guard was showing a selflessness of which Rarity herself would have approved.  Heck, the sheer lack of jealously would probably even amaze her.  But if selflessness was the duty of a Lady, being indulged was her right, and Blue had made it one of her principle aims this evening to make sure her guard was so treated.  

"But come!"  She said, in a clearer voice.  "The music is on, and the floor is open.  Fire, Squall, would you like to accompany us to the center?"  Being in the center of the dance floor no longer meant as much as it did in the more egalitarian social atmosphere of recent days, but to be so publicly invited there was still considered an act of graciousness.  "And perhaps we shall fetch a few others along the way..."  Taking up Star's hoof, the Princess proceeded to the floor, passing by Rarity to check up on her, though she seemed occupied at the moment.  

Carrot Fields couldn't help but feel awkward and a embarrassed when it became apparent that Rarity couldn't recall the two of them dancing last time.  Ouch.  Nothing hurts a young stallion's pride quite like when a mare admits she doesn't remember spending any time with them.  Sure it was just a dance, but it still stung just a little bit.  Of course, Rarity was likely one of those mares who had stallions asking her to dance, or date, or even her hoof in marriage all the time.  Who knew how many potential suitors she had?  It shouldn't have been much of a surprise she didn't recall a dance from a year ago, at least she remembered who he was.

He had a momentary swelling of pride when another unicorn mare complimented him as Dash's date.  Dash didn't really like to refer to their time together as such, but c'mon, this was a gala, and surely she didn't mind it being called such at such a prestigious, formal affair, not like she was not going to be seen as any less 'cool' for doing so.  That pride of his turned back to awkwardness when Rarity, one of Dash's closest friends, even brushed off the idea that he and the rainbow maned pegasus were seeing each other.  He needed a distraction, something to get this date back on track before things got too weird for Dash to handle, even though it was so cute to see her squirming and flustered like that.

Reprieve came when a kind earth pony mare who apparently was working at the Gala offered to play whatever song he requested.  It seemed like a golden opportunity to ask for one of the classical Fet Loch tunes so he and Dash could have their first dance together.  "Sure, I have the perfect romantic song we could dance to, would you mind play-"  Before he could even finish what he was going to say, Dash grabbed Rarity in some kind of panic and zoomed off leaving him wide eyed and alone in a cloud of dust, "Er... Umm... Eh heh.  What, what just happened?"  

That awkwardness he felt before, well that was just turned up to eleven.

"Oh, no you didn't!" she smiled as she saw more and more of the band setting up. "You'll have to tell me all about it during our dance! it looks like the band is about ready, so we should start heading that way," 

"Great! It's been a while since I danced with anypony. Don't really have that much time to dance while finishing up my schooling."

The two made their way to the dance floor and the music started. Lucky for Fire, it was a waltz which was a nice easy dance to get into. The two mares danced to the three beat sound taking care not to step on each other's dress or hooves. But about a few minutes into the song Fire saw Luna approaching and paused dancing, hoping that Ice stopped at the same time lest they collide into each other. 

"Good evening to you as well, Princess," Fire said with a little curtsy, "I trust you're having a good time at the Gala?" 

iqY7dA5.png

Well, it was about time!

The words of warning spilling out of the Reindeer's mouth were all but lost on the Qilin, who in turn was lost in all-encompassing green eyes that burned in reflected flames flickering from the overhead chandeliers, and the contrasting sensation of hardened hooves resting delicately against her soft cheek. There was something about his kind not being very...apt, to feats of dance and skillful maneuvering, or some such, but Mei wasn't asking for a dance from every Reindeer. 

Just her Reindeer.

And as her Reindeer nobly acquiesced to her request, the vivid blue Qilin couldn't help but let out a happy burst of sound, almost like a muffled squeal as she quickly slipped out from under Lími's hooves to instead lock one foreleg through one of his own, unintentionally mimicking their earlier pose. The Qilin wasted no time in aggressively leading her friend and companion out onto the dance floor, where already couples were gathering together for the first strains of music - a waltz, she was almost certain of it, recognizing the three meter rhythm - and once they were in position right in the middle of the opulent area, Mei pulled away from Lími to assume her position, head bowing and legs bending slightly into a curtsey. 

And then that was quite enough of the formalities. 

While some ballroom dances, Mei had learned, were choreographed and rehearsed, a simple waltz provided ample room to be left to one's own devices. So long as they kept moving around in a vague approximation of a circle with their three-step shuffling, they wouldn't risk running into other dancing couples. That in mind, Mei waited rather impatiently for Lími to make the first move - as the gentlepony always lead while the lady followed - and quickly fell into step in front of him, their necks crossed at an intimate angle as they waltzed across the room. 

Waltzing across the room...aiya, if only Verdant Grove could see her now! Her friend would be so jealous!

"Thank you, LÍmi," the bright blue Qilin whispered all of a sudden, not stopping their dancing even as the words fell out hushed and quiet, as if she were afraid of breaking some spell. "For coming, here, at the Grand Galloping Gala." The words themselves were enough to put another giddy smile onto her face, but Mei reigned herself in somewhat, managing elation rather than giddiness as she brushed her neck closer to Lími's. 

"I've never met a Reindeer like you before," she admitted, still hushed - though, an abrupt giggle let her unintentionally, remembering how confused she had been at Garden Gait, when she had first stumbled across the strange looking deer. "I can't believe I'd never even heard of Reindeer, before I met you!"  

A smile sprung across Ice Storm's face as her mare friend followed right behind her into the dance floor as the music started to play. Goodie! it was a slow waltz. She couldn't mess that up too badly right? AS long as she followed Fires lead, everything should be fine and she wouldn't trip over anything or accidentally ruin both of their beautiful dresses with a misstep. The dance seemed to be going along well. After hearing that Fire hadn't really had a chance to dance with anypony for a while because she didn't have that much time with finishing up school and the like. "Well then, we have to make sure we do this more often," she smiled. "I'm sure we can find events like this that we can go to more often and just have a nice dance together. After all, I always enjoy being with you whenever I can," she said leaning in and giving Fire a gentle nuzzle as she followed her through the first bits of their dance.

Ice Storm however didn't notice that Fire had paused in her dancing though and she kinda bumped into her marefriend, but quickly recovered and covered it up as her just wrapping her hooves around her in a tight hug as the princess actually approached them, and asked how they were both doing at the moment. Ice Storm started to reply when the princess greeted them, but Fire Heart seemed to have beaten her to it, asking the princess if she was having a good time tonight. "Indeed, I hope you're getting the chance to relax that you deserve. You and your sister are always working so hard, it must be nice to take a break every now and then," she smiled.

(bleh, sorry for the not great post...)

XqEzCsl.png

Yet again, the Universe proved that free will was not an option for Lími as his partner tugged him all the way to the direct center of the dance floor. The caribou may not know too much about the customs of ponies... but didn't the Equestrians have a silly tradition about how the center was always reserved for the highest-ranking noble present? Mei appeared not to care one bit however as she performed something akin to a bow, but with more fancy hoofwork. Unsure of the proper response, Lími stood there for a couple seconds, eyes widened in trepidation, before he rather hastily — and ungracefully — nodded and placed a hoof over his heart; a typical show of respect in caribou culture. The young bull wasn't going to get points for style, but it was better than nothing.

Things only got trickier from here. Lími had to keep Mei waiting for several more seconds as he took a closer look at the dancers, on the verge of hyperventilating as he tried to grasp the proper moves and positioning of... whatever dance the ponies were doing. Perhaps because the caribou bull's mind believed he was in a literal life-or-death situation, he gathered a rough picture of more or less what to do.

First: put the right hoof over Mei's shoulder blade. Apparently, that's what all the stallions matched with mares were doing.

Second: lock the left hoof with the qilin's right. Seemed simple enough to do.

Then the more difficult part: moving the hind legs the correct pattern. Observation ascertained that the steps were performed at interval of three... and that their bodies were to turn in a different direction with each interval. The musicians down in front dictated the speed of the dance, much like how the drummer controlled the pace of a marching army. Many of the other dancers added additional flourishes to their moves, but Lími believed he had the bare basics down.

Finally: pray to the Ancient Ones that Mei wouldn't be dissatisfied by Lími's amateurish technique.

Surprising even himself, Lími managed to avoid any serious blunders as he took his first tentative steps leading his lady across the dance floor. The princely bull's concerned seemingly proved unfounded, for Mei was actually enjoying herself. Whispering words of intimate gratitude, in fact. A content smile finally formed on Lími's face; maybe Equestrian style dancing wasn't as bad as he'd imagined.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!! Why would the Universe ever leave Lími happy for more than one minute at the Grand Galloping Gala?

That grand original lie of Lími's, upon which his entire connection with Lián Mei was built upon, was never going to escape the supposed "reindeer". Any trace of happiness vanished, tempered by the reality that Mei needed to learn the Truth before the night was through. But how was Lími even going to break the news to her? The caribou vividly remembered the qilin's meltdown back at their fiasco of a first dinner ages ago; Lími managed to salvage that situation then, but was there any hope of bouncing back from something as dishonorable as deception?

Although... maybe there was a way to gently break the truth little-by-little, gradually getting Mei acclimated to the characteristic attributes of Lími's culture before letting slip that dreaded word: "caribou". Thinking things through for about a half-minute (it was harder to think than usual when the frightful bull was also concentrating on not botching his dance), Lími eventually broke his silence. "Most of my kind, they've," he whispered; "...Well, they've also never encountered someone like I. You see..... I believe I told you long ago... that the Vikings- Víkingr... errr, we Víkingr come from a treacherous land. To ensure your clan thrives, you must have a ferocious spirit; to be stronger than every other monster out there."

A depressed sigh escaped Lími's muzzle; this was the first time since the cave behind the waterfall that he opened up so vulnerably to Mei like this. "Unlike the others in my clan... I could never bring myself to nurture the same spirit as they....."

0CD1Hi0.png

Food, check. 

Tons of ponies? Check. 

Cheesy waltz music? Check - unfortunately.

Not that Inkbrand was exactly certain what he'd been expecting. The Grand Galloping Gala was, whatever its recent reputation, a formal event. He couldn't exactly expect the band to start blaring some Steppenhoof for the ponies to bash their heads to - though, that would have been epic. But no, there was the obligatory waltz drafting out from the stage and into the crowded room, where the dance floor was already filled with couples engaged in the stately and balanced give-and-take of a ballroom dance.

Not to mention the atmosphere. Whereas the gardens had seemed less formal and more casual, with nature clinging around every corner, the opulence and grandiose setting of the ballroom fairly screamed hoity-toity, along with the bowties and bulging ballroom gowns most ponies seemed to be sporting. Seriously. It wasn't like Inkbrand was all that into the fashion scene, so he really couldn't make an accurate comparison, but it felt like nearly every mare boasted the same puffy dress, just in different variations and with different accessories. 

At least they were worn well, the grey Earth Pony thought as he whistled lowly under his breath, eyes drawn to a passing mare who was positively rocking yet another puff dress, though this one featured artistic slits that showed off tantalizing flashes of flank and color underneath the shimmering billows of her gown. Bucking tease. Inkbrand didn't bother hiding his frank appreciation as his eyes drank their fill, and only just noticed when the mare noticed his gaze, immediately balked then glowered in almost the same instant, before turning her head a sheer ninety degrees upwards to stalk off towards the sidelines, and very pointedly away from him. 

Tch. Like he wasn't expecting that in a city like Canterlot. 

...No.

No, what he wasn't expecting, not by a long shot, was the sudden glimpse of dark, star-filled decadence to catch around his peripherals, causing Inkbrand to momentarily freeze as his brain struggled to accept what his eyes were transmitting. 

They continued struggling for a few more seconds thereafter, in which Inkbrand did his very best to impersonate the biggest, most gaping, mouth-flapping fish ever known to pony kind.

"Holy buck," the tattoo clad stallion hissed, and didn't even care if any one overheard him because holy buck, there was Princess Luna, just...standing there, in all her curvaceous glory. Standing, right there. There, like she was an actual pony and not some rarely seen but oft heard about legend. And wonders of all wonders, she was sporting a sleek and trimmed gown rather than the puffy ones near every other mare was wearing - a gown that did everything to accentuate her mild long legs and the dark features that gave the Alicorn such a mysterious and mystical aura. Though, personally, he would have chosen a paler purple than the trim on her back, something closer to silver rather than lavender, to wrap around her neckline and possibly meander down her front right leg - shimmering patterns to reflect starlight and moonlight, that stood stark and vibrant against her dark coat and oh wait he was thinking about tattoos now not outfits. 

Inkbrand could have, quite happily, spent the rest of his evening sighing lustfully over the dark Alicorn as she strut about the dance floor...but hay, where would the fun have been in that? He'd also been a doer, not a thinker, and - as his luck just so happened to have it - there seemed to be no other pony making a beeline towards the Princess for a dance. At least, she seemed to be conversing with two other mares who were already locked in a dance, and were they crazy, dancing with each other when one of them could have asked for a dance from the Alicorn?!

...Or maybe, Princess Luna had sworn off dancing for the evening? In order to avoid showing favoritism, or some rot?...fair enough, he supposed. 

Either way, the tattoo-clad wasn't overly concerned as he stalked out onto the dance floor, his steps casual and languid as he approached. The Princess, if she were so disposed to dancing, probably had tons of ponies all clambering for a turn. Though, bodily interjecting himself into her conversation probably wouldn't be the best way to make an impression, and in a rare moment of social grace, Inkbrand patiently waited until the three of them were done conversing...

...beeeeefore he proceeded to bodily inject himself into their conversation. 

"I'm seeing a problem here," the tattoo-clad stallion spoke up once he was close enough to the three, face relaxed with a roughish grin as his eyes traveled over the three bodies in front of him. "Three ponies don't make for a very comfortable waltz...though I suppose I could even out the numbers, a bit," Inkbrand sing-songed, as if it might be such a burden to dance with the Lunar Princess - though, the grin didn't leave his face as he turned to fully face the mare, one hoof outstretched in invitation. 

"Whaddya say, Your Royalship?" he cajoled, the wicked grin on his face turning sharper as he stared into her face, "fancy a spin?" In all truth, Inkbrand was expecting to be shot down immediately - it was bucking Princess Luna, for crying out loud - but hey. It was the interaction that counted, the precipice before the fall, and if he was about to get chased off with a frying pan upside the head -

Then hay yes, he was going to make this a night to remember.

kafyBGS.jpg

Princess Luna blushed a bit in embarrasment when she realized that she had interrupted the two mares dancing. And now she was just next to the dancr floor! She was not ready to dance yet, and didnt hadn't a dancing partner yet! Well, that could wait. For now, she wanted to greet the two first.

"S-sorry to interrupt your dancing."

she said, a really light blush in her face since she had interruptrd both. She cleared her throat after a moment. "Thank you. I am indeed having fun and it is a nice change from our daily work." she said with a small smile after a moment. 

Luna felt a bit awkward for a moment after she spoke. Being on thete with out a partner. . although she knew quite the grouo of ponies would love to have a dance with her. What to do now? Talk more with the two mares ir let them dance?

Yet it didnt took long for her answer. Somepony asked her to dance. She felt somewhat better since she could let the two dance. This tattued pony soon arrived to with them. "It doesn't do it, indeed~" she sajd with a soft smile to him. "I suppose a dance wouldn't harm." she soon said as she placed her hoof on his, accepting his invitation to dance. Of course, this meant many other ponies would get the courage to ask her to dance as well, yet this was a small burden she would deal with. For now, she wanted to have fun as everypony else, and it seemed a lot enjoyed dancing, so she decided to join them.

Archived