Official Discussion Thread- S06E14 The Cart Before the Ponies

Official discussion topic for Episode 14 of Season 6!

Miss_Cheerilee_starting_the_race_S6E14.p

When the Cutie Mark Crusaders enter the annual Applewood Derby, their teammates, Applejack, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash take over the competition.

This thread is dedicated to discussing the episode before, during, and afterwards. As the thread is now open it may indeed contain spoilers. I ask that potential spoilers talked about or shown before the episode airs stay within the spoiler tags please, after the episode you no longer have to use the spoiler tags, but warning, if you haven't seen the episode yet after it airs, this thread no doubt will have all sorts of spoilers in reviews, images, etc. So tread at your own risk. 

I didn't care for the episode too much. The 3 characters (not the crusaders) were done all wrong like the writer hasn't seen the rest of the series. I'd be okay with the mistake they make if this were season 1 or 2 when we haven't had all that much character growth yet. Also the mistake they make in this episode is one they've made before. It's not that it was predictable the moment the crusaders were talking to one another about what they wanted to do, it's that AppleRarityDash were out of character by this point in the series.

I may be in the minority here, but I actually loved this episode!

Spoiler

First of all, I can totally see AJ, Rarity and RD in a situation where they'd lose focus on the CMC and attempt to live their own childhood fantasies through them.  Anyone can get so 'caught up' in themselves that they completely forget that it's 'all about the kids.'  Go to any Little League or Pop Warner football game and you'll see this all the time from the parents of the players.

Second, this episode shows that although AJ, Rarity and RD have learned as well as given many lessons in friendship, they're NOT perfect!  This is one quality that makes MLP FiM stand out from other cartoons, the main characters are well developed and, they are flawed (just like all of us),

Third, the song was MARVELOUS!  It really helped set the mood for the last part of the episode.  MLP FiM is usually very good about not just 'throwing songs' into episodes but to make them part of the 'background' of them. 

Fourth, the 'moral' of the episode is totally relatable.  Kids shouldn't think that all grownups, even family or close friends, have ALL the answers.  No one's perfect.

Lastly, Cheerilee in a cheerleader outfit and 'young Derpy' in a flashback are ALWAYS winners in my book!

Overall, I believe this is one of the better episodes of Season 6!

This episode was middle-of-the-road for me. Predictable conflict with predictable resolution, but not executed all that badly.

@Mojo As the resident expert of all things old, was this episode paying homage to that Wacky Racers cartoon? It seemed that way to me. :P

@Bellosh Now that you mention it, I can see the similarities!   Of course, this race was missing the 'Dick Dasterly/Muttley-cheating' angle of the Wacky Races, but I can see a degree of homage to that classic cartoon show!  Definitely a connection with 'Penelope Pitstop'-Rarity and perhaps 'Peter Perfect'-RD.   Good catch!   :D:D 

Thoughts below in spoilers as normal.

Spoiler

There's not really much I can say about this one.

First off, Physics lesson? Seriously? They're in Elementary School. Not College.:unsure:

After that there's really not much else I can say. The cart concept is somewhat interesting and makes me think they got the idea from that fan-game that never saw fruition. But maybe not? Still, it's good to see other types of racing.  The problem was... somewhat predictable if you ask me. It wasn't really surprising that Applejack, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash took over when their 'sisters' Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo asked for help with their cart. They wanted to do something different but their Applejack, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash wouldn't have it and they became understandably frustrated. Still though, it was quite funny that Derpy won most creative when Rarity was a filly. :lol:

They acted as if they were the ones participating in the race when it was supposed to be for the kids, which Cheerilee tried to tell them but again they weren't listening. As expected, they ruined it for all ponies involved.

I will say though I kind of liked the moral/lesson/whatever you want to call it. It really is hard to stand up to/confront those that are older than you because it seems like they are supposed to be more knowledgeable and wiser. I have problems with that myself with my mother but I don't say anything because I'm fairly sure it would always lead to an argument. No one wins in an argument.

I can't say much else. I enjoyed seeing Derpy in this episode though and even being a part of the race as well and I did like the racing cart concept. The song was pretty okay too.

Overall I'd say this one was a mediocre episode. But it's not like I hated it. Just me I suppose.

:/

I had rather low expectations going into this one, and we all pretty much knew what was going to happen, but it was still a cute episode.

Spoiler

It was nice to get some Cheerilee love..

d3o1PRi.png

One thing that bothered me..Why the heck was Scootaloo freaking out over the speed she was going? You'd think she would be used to that by now..

Decent episode...but it seems a bit cliched/overused.  I've seen this theme quite a few times in various medias (but I forgot the specifics, so O can't point them out) before.

• Dio unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived