Further Research [Private, FiniteZero]

Blueblood

"I'm lucky." Texty said. "I mean, my mothers always took care to make sure nopony else discovered what I really was. I was raised with pony values, pony stories, I have my own identity, I just fit in because I am a pony in every way but biology. This is why I want to find out more about those like me, like you. There's so much I want to find out, to see the culture I never got to see. Sometimes I feel like a pony, I guess. But sometimes I feel like a Changeling. I might be a bit of both? I knew that I was of a kind not looked upon kindly by pony eyes. but I thought that if I could complete myself, bring harmony to my halves, I could finally show ponies why we deserve an equal amount of love and respect. But... I never thought that things would be so desperate for you."

Texty let out a sigh, leaning back and looking at the ceiling. "I've had... Experiences. Ponies pushed to desperation, who have lost all hope... Those who lash out against others, as a cry for attention or just to find ways to continue their own existence. It's hard to show love to those who you think will bring you harm."

Texty's story did raise some interesting questions related to the debate upon nature vs. nurture in shaping identity.  It was a digression, and not one Kahz was inclined to linger upon, but he couldn't help but notice and comment upon it.  "One can train an earth pony to do many things, if they be willing, but not to fly.  On the other hand, you could probably train a pegasus not to fly, but that strikes me as an extremely cruel thing to do.  I suppose it is best to think of our heritage as a birthright rather than a destiny, though admittedly the inheritance of our kind has been historically paltry at best."

Kahz at least knew now that Texty had a sense of what the psychological state of the changelings were, which would make it easier for him to understand what happened next.  "Mhm, but hope dies hard.  Even in the heart of the most cynical being, there is always this one shard that maybe, just maybe, things might turn out better, that someone else might actually believe in them.  That is why the cynic can so easily turn into the fanatic.  I have told you what the changelings, scattered between their Hives, all felt about themselves and their place in the world.  Can you imagine now, what would happen if the Queen of one of those Hives did not take them at their word?  If she really believed that they were meant for something better, and could achieve it?  After all the years of shame and secrecy, such a promise would be intoxicating, and such a leader could inspire fervent love, though unfortunately not the sort we can feed off of.  Changelings can love, but it doesn't produce the energy that we can eat."

Texty clicked softly as he thought about it. A few thoughts on the matter drew his attention. "A strong leader could bring the Changelings into the light, force ponies to see not what they fear them to be but to see them as they truly are. This is what you are hoping for, the purpose of this whole ordeal. You want me to be that light, or perhaps the lens to bring the truth into focus. I probably know ponies more than most changelings, perhaps more than most ponies as well. Is this your goal? To have one that could make ponies understand both sides of history?"

The changeling mulled it over in his head. His choice had been made a while ago, but what he wondered was how far he wanted to stretch his leg into this hole, knowing that it could very well collapse on him.

O...kay... that was a slightly unexpected turn to the conversation.  Kahz would have admitted to himself frankly that the aims of this talk, for him, were propagandistic.  He meant to bolster and justify an existing regime, not necessarily start a revolution.  At the same time, he didn't want to discourage Texty from his overall attitude, which was still very helpful.  Oh, the dilemmas of agents...

"That was indeed our hope; we looked for a leader, though oddly enough, you first thought of yourself as that leader.  I wonder if there was any royal jelly in your nymph-pod?"  An academic question, to be sure.  The figure of the changeling in front of him was certainly taller and more elegant than his own, but that could be said of pretty much everyling in the Hive.  "What you have to understand about our... recent actions is that a leader did step up to fulfill that promise.  That is how Chrysalis came to power, and even now she rules by this hope, and not fear.  Well, not fear in her own subjects, at any rate.  It was hoped that a war could prove that we were not contemptible, not just some sneaking pest to be squashed upon discovery like a bug.  It didn't work, obviously; hostility was proved a dead-end policy, hence a recent focus upon more peaceful methods.  I had to give you the explanation beforehand, though; otherwise, you wouldn't understand why we did not try diplomacy first.  Nopony seems to.  Each thinks himself the most enlightened of beings, assigning any unpleasant behavior to an unreformed minority, feh!"

Kahz' wings were buzzing in a manner most perturbed.  Apparently, he'd hit one of his own raw nerves while talking; very careless.  But perhaps it could be turned to support his cause.  "Sorry, didn't mean to snap there.  I don't want to cast aspersions, but I'm sure you've had to have noticed just the slightest bit of national self-righteousness about Equestria?"

Texty tilted his head slightly in confusion. "A leader? No. A diplomat. I trust that Chrysalis has been treating you well, given how you speak of her, though the transcripts of what she said during that invasion are concerning. But if you say she is not as bad as she seems, I'll take your word for it. And don't worry, I do understand that Equestrians are a little entitled. To be fair, with as much control over the world as they have, it's a little understandable. Manipulating weather, moving the celestial bodies, stuff like that. And they have been the center of a lot of strange and amazing activity recently. But yes, Ponies do tend to assume their way is always the best. That's what lead to the division between races so many centuries ago."

He paused a moment, and ran some of what Kahz had said in his head again. "Royal whatnow? Jelly? Like, uh, like ants?"

Kahz permitted himself to relax a bit.  The conversation had gotten derailed, a bit, but now things were back on track.  "Oh, sure; in times like these all good citizens seek to be informal diplomats.  You, at least, can see both sides, so I think you'd be aptly suited."  He chuckled at the question of 'royal jelly.'  "Right, sorry; forgot you wouldn't know.  Pre-natal nourishment is an important predictor of capabilities in live.  I mean, look at me."  The little 'ling stood up on the bed, showing his small and bent figure.  "This is what happens when you get it wrong.  Though, I'm not sure we've ever really been right.  Anyway, royal jelly's the highest grade of nymph-food.  Pretty rare, and I'm not sure who decides who gets it.  I think it might just be random, with a Queen being presented with her new heir.  I've never looked into that aspect, frankly; it's the one part of the Hive structure I haven't been able to work my way into."

• 2 weeks later...

"I suppose it'll be one of the mysteries I can find out at a later date. Something that I've been wondering about, do Changelings have unique forms of poetry? Even warrior cultures, like the Griffons, have those. I'm curious as to the creative process of a culture as unique as that of a Changeling hive." Texty said. He leaned backwards, relaxing a little. He had a lot of questions he wanted to ask, but he figured it would be a bad idea to overload Kahz.

Unique poetry?  That wasn't a question Kahz had been expecting, and it startled him into a surprising level of frankness.  "No, actually, we don't.  We're great imitators, we can write poems in the style of any culture.  But, most of our work is cover art, if you know what I mean.  Originality is not our strong suit."  That was why initiative was so rare also, he reflected.  Any underling with sufficient creativity and force of will could get themselves promoted quick, simply because their talent was so rare an valuable.  Of course, one also risked getting on the Queen's bad side, which Kahz had been fortunate enough to avoid, so far.  Best not burden Texty with that information, though.

• 2 weeks later...

"Ah. Kind of a shame." Texty said. He shifted his position lightly. "I have fond memories of my parents reading poetry to me when I was little, usually before I go to sleep."

He realized that, if Changelings are more adept at adapting cultures than forming their own, there might not be as much identity towards being a Changeling as he thought.

"What is a typical day in the life of a Changeling in the Hive?"

"A typical day?"  Kahz mused, knowing full way that his days were atypical.  He had been all over the hive, from one end to the other, from the lowest levels to the very highest.  It did give him a perspective on what they all had in common, though.  "Mostly work-centric.  We all had something to do.  Most of us are born into our jobs, though sometimes it's later found that our talents lie elsewhere, and so we're reassigned.  Labor tends to be centrally directed at the hive level, with Queen Chrysalis having direct control over the Central Hive, and indirect control over the outer ones.  Upshot of it is, your superior gives you orders, you follow them.  Work schedules tend to vary, though everyling gets a little time off, a day or so regularly, to relax and forage for oneself.  It's not easy to live on the rations one gets centrally, and showing oneself to be good in the field is a great way to get a better position.  Granted, a substantial percentage of that forage has to be returned to the Hive, to supplement rations for everyone else, so the central direction extends out beyond the Hive boundaries as well."

He sighed, and rubbed the back of his head.  "Times have been tough, honestly.  There's never really been enough for everyling to not go hungry, but with the recent disruptions and increased vigilance on the part of, well, everyone, rations are down severely.  It's why our policy should be turning away from hostility.  A sign of acceptance and openness from the outside world could have profound impact, and I am confident that the Hive will make good on that opportunity."

• 3 months later...

Texty let out a low hum. "That isn't as nice as I thought it would be. You really need Equestria's help, don't you? If only it was easier for everypony and every changeling to see eye to eye a little more."

He thought about it. Perhaps writing a book about this might help. At the very least it would make him feel better.

"So we hope.  I think the possibility is there, if both sides are patient enough not to let the inertia of past hostilities drive their actions."  Kahz nodded, sighing.  "There's the issue of pride, too.  It's never an easy thing to admit to being dependent on another country; may feel it would practically make us a vassal of Equestria.  I think our initial reluctance to be diplomatic can be primarily traced to that.  So few options give us any chance of preserving a scrap of dignity."

• 2 weeks later...

"Ah, yes, pride. The downfall of so many, according to the stories my mothers told me from when I was but a little grub." Texty said, shaking his head slowly. "We can only do so much. We can try to open their eyes, but only the two sides, Pony and Changeling, can make themselves see." He thought about it, and let out a chittering chuckle. "Though if it were that simple, we would have been living in harmony a long time ago. Perhaps it would be beneficial to show what the Changelings and Ponies could get out of it."

"Just so."  Kahz nodded crisply  "Hence my recent efforts at diplomacy.  I've tried on multiple occasions to get audiences with the Princesses; there have been very encouraging signs lately of a growing acceptance of our kind.  Though, not so much of our home country.  If that hurdle can be overcome, we can at least live as well together as the griffons do with Equestria."

That was a nice way of putting it.  So far, of course, it looked as if political acceptance would only come at the prince of a change of political leadership, which no patriot does at the demand of another country.  Still, one could pave the way for eventual understanding.

Texty clicked at the mention of the Griffons. "I do hope the Griffons get better from this relationship. The last time I traveled to their capital, it was a complete wreck with pretty much no governing body whatsoever. That is not an advisable situation. Plus, my wallet was stolen, but that is beside the point."

He turned upside down. His prescription sunglasses started to slip off, so he adjusted them. "I hear Equestria is making friends with Yakyakistan and the Dragon Lands. It feels like we're building towards something greater, but I'm not sure what. Some sort of grand alliance, perhaps. A bit for your thoughts?"

"Don't forget, the Griffons have two states."  Kahz pointed out.  "Griffonstone, which is the rump remnant of their Empire, and the Aquellian Republic, which touts itself as the true successor state."  The 'ling's education had encompassed more that just the pony nations, in order to increase his utility.  He had to be a useful as possible, if only to make every other changeling overlook his physical deficiencies.  "The former still cling to their independence, and I have to respect them for that.  Aquellia is powerful, and splendid in it's own right, but... well, let's just say there's a reason you don't see many of our kind trying to infiltrate there."

Texty's remark on the international situation caused a click of interest from Kahz, who nodded.  "I noticed the same, too.  One might say that it's an attempt at diplomatic hegemony, trying to get all major leaders signed on to one particular world order, designed on Equestrian lines.  Frankly, though, that wouldn't be too bad a thing for the likes of us.  More food for sure.  If we could integrate the Hive into that system... well, no Changeling need ever starve again!"

Texty let out a chittering chuckle. "Well, if there is one thing about Equestrians, it's their huge capacity for love. I imagine that's what drew our kind towards them in the first place. Their connection to Harmony is so great it causes spontaneous musical numbers... At least, that's what mother tells me. She could be pulling my leg. I have only seen that happen once."

He tilted his head in thought. "Perhaps... I feel that Changelings could know, and learn much about, other cultures in a way few others can. Anypony can just live among another race, but only Changelings can become them. Could make some good ambassadors, and a neutral party for disagreements between nations. If they, we, Changelings, yes, Changelings are able to come out of the shadows onto the world stage. Perhaps it is just a fever dream, a particularly intriguing idea marred by reality. Certainly not happening anytime soon, but I say keep one ear on the past, one ear to the future, and your eyes on the present. Right now, it seems to me from what you've told me that Changelings have spent so long doing things their own way, deep in the shadows, alone, unloved until they take that love, they may resist changing altogether. Ironic, in a sense. The most adaptable race has the least adaptable ideology."

Kahz sighed, nodding.  "It's hard to be flexible when your skin is not."  He tapped his chitin, half-smiling at the joke.  "Give it time; a few prominent changelings able to get their food without hostility will inspire others to follow.  The Hive will then have to adapt, or face mass defection.  Once the change is made, I'm confident everything else will follow."

He hopped off the bed, wings buzzing slightly as he softened the landing.  "Have to be careful, I'm a bit brittle.  Anyway, did you have anything else you wanted to ask before I had to leave?  I just got word of a very interesting opportunity in Ponyville.  Apparently, Princess Twilight Sparkle is looking for a consort!"

"A consort, hm?" Texty said. "A potentially interesting offer. I suppose I have one last thing I'm wondering about. Have the Changelings always been like this?"

Texty toyed with the idea of applying towards the position himself, he decided against it for now. He already had something of a job, and writing a new book with some of the information he had learned would take time. Perhaps one day he might be able to come out to the world as what he really was.

But for now, his life would continue as normal.

"Suspicious and mistrusting of outsiders, you mean?"  Kahz was pretty sure he mentioned that they weren't always united under Queen Chrysalis, but culture went deeper than politics.  "Pretty much.  And it has to be said, we were given quite a few good reasons to be, if the old stories are to be believed.  Ponies weren't always as kind and tolerant as they are now.  They've much to thank the Sisters for, as far as I understand it."  Pre-unified Equestria was... yeah, probably even worse than the griffon states were now, as far as love supply was concerned.

"Well, good luck with your book.  Hopefully, it's the next step towards what we all want."  He stuck out his hoof to shake it good-bye, re-donning his disguise with a flash of green magic.

Texty smiled. He heard the distinct noise of Changeling magic, so he donned his own disguise once more. His horn pulsed, and he reached out his hoof, missing Kahz's by a few inches. "It has been a pleasure. Thank you for opening my eyes on this matter, so to speak. I hope we may meet in the future."

"I think I can well assure you of that.  I never forget where I have friends!  So long."  And with that final reassurance, 'Heart Sight' took his leave.  He had another heart to seek out now.  He looked forward to seeing Texty's new book, and hoped that good things would come of it.

Finis

Archived