Official Discussion Thread - S06E23 Where the Apple Lies

we_re_always_here_by_graystripe64-d5wt3q

AJ's parents are always there in spirit

Another week and another episode with the ponies we all adore and love!  Finally we get another Applejack episode, but not any Applejack episode, one where she is awkward teenage Applejack!  :AJ:  In this flashback episode we are told a tale by our favorite orchard mare to her little sister to why she is so honest these days.  Will this episode answer the big questions about her family life? :smug: Such as what happened to her folks? :sleep: Tune in to find out! The episode airs Saturday 11:30 AM EST on October 8th!! :) <3

This thread is dedicated to discussing the episode before, during, and afterwards. As the thread is now open it may indeed contain spoilers. I ask that potential spoilers talked about or shown before the episode airs stay within the spoiler tags please, after the episode you no longer have to use the spoiler tags, but warning, if you haven't seen the episode yet after it airs, this thread no doubt will have all sorts of spoilers in reviews, images, etc. So tread at your own risk. :blush:

Huh. That was alright. Not amazing, though.

Spoiler

That Derpy cameo though. Might be its own story of her derped eyes.

EDIT: Oh right, she had derped eyes as a filly. I suppose corrective surgery that didn't work?

Thoughts are below, in spoilers, as normal.

Spoiler

Backstory episodes are always interesting and intriguing because it reveals more about certain characters. This one was no different.

Wow, Big Mac was quite the chatterbox in the past!! To be completely honest, I'm glad he doesn't talk like that now, it'd actually be kind of annoying and too much talking.  :blush:

It wasn't that surprising when Applejack's lies started making this worse and worse and it just got compounded when she made more and more lies. This is actually a good moral because constantly lying will only make your problems worse and not better. :|

It's good to know that Filthy Rich's wife was just as much of a jerkass in the past that she is now. At least she's consistent?  :unsure:

I actually just really liked this episode in general because it gave us more backstory on Applejack, as well as Big Mac, and how she developed her honesty streak.

I tend to like backstory episodes because we get a better 'feel' for characters and how they developed who they are.

The episode itself, once again, may not have been 'outstanding' or 'amazing' but I still liked it due to the fact that it was a backstory episode.

:)

Huh, it appears that for once I have something to say about new episode.

Spoiler

Reveal of how Big Mac used to be in a past was quite surprising really. Through the viewing I was thinking about all those fanfics whose canonicity just got thrown into a grinder to get even further mangled. Harsh.

The episode was very solid actually from my point of view, unlike - say - the last one with Glimmer. Indeed Applejack reasons for being so honest are rightly justified.

The only disappointment was that writers once again chickened out from clearing out Apple Siblings parent's status. Even more aggravating that - seeing that this was whole episode flashback - any excuses for not doing that fall flat.

Archived