Sorting out a New Life (ATTN: Steel)

Blueblood

TwiBanner_zpsvi6knv7w.png

Twilight got herself some tea as the discussion continued. It helped soothe her addled mind by a little as she made sure to help pop the drinks over to her quicker. She didn't know why she was so thirsty right now. She just wanted a drink and wanted to relax and didn't want to discuss anything involving her perfectly logical collection of data. She was simply trying to do well by this wonderful nation as it had done well by her and she didn't think it needed to be a topic of mass discussion, especially when she was here to help Blue through difficult times, not ramble on about matter of such minor import.

She nearly spat her tea when Blue mentioned letting the reporters know what she was up to. In fact she did spit it up, on herself, looking like a mess very quickly. "WHAT NO!" she responded quickly, grabbing Blue by the shoulders. Then a pause. Then she choked a bit on some tea that had gone down the wrong pipe. It took her a few seconds to recover, hacking and coughing as she went, though she waved her hooves in Blue's direction to indicate panicked disagreement with literally every aspect of what Blue had just said. After that passed, she took a deep breath. "No, no need for that. Forget I shared anything. New page, new discussion," she said with great and epic finality, marking it with a triumphant turning of the page in her notebook.

"So, where were we...oh, yes. So, all this, uhh, confusion, but at the same time, you have been doing so well. Has it occurred to you that the truth may not be so cut and dry, and that indeed, maybe the question you're wrestling with is different than what you're asking? Or should be asking?" Twilight asked Blue. The whole time all that silliness was going on she had been thinking...and was about to make her move! "Perhaps the question is not whether you are suffering from gender dysphoria, but whether you have moved beyond such matters and the turmoil is in regards to pressure to choose."

Ah, tea.  Blueblood wondered for a moment whether Twilight had caught the secondary motivation for him serving that particular beverage.  One look at her, as he returned with the tray, was enough to confirm that she had not.  Likely, she was distracted and in a fluster with her own issues, a situation apparently not aided in the slightest by his hinting at letting the file slip to reporters.  He couldn't keep a look of amusement out of his face as the princess sputtered and spit.  "Ah, but remember, for royalty it is a matter of when, not if, the journalists get a hold of information on our doings.  The best we can do is to choose the time and place to our advantage."  The Prince's mouth was smiling, but his tone was serious.  That really was how he'd had to live his life with respect to the newspapers and magazines, and he was pretty sure that Twilight hadn't yet 'normalized' the lifestyle change that these facts would enforce.  Blue could take it pretty well now, but then, he'd been born and bred in that briar patch, as it were...

But as they say, out of one and into another!  Twilight seemed Tartarus-bent on returning the conversation back to it's original prospect, his therapy.  Blueblood honestly looked a little nervous, holding his teacup in an abnormally still manner, for unicorn magic, not yet taking a sip.  Listening to her go on, though, he felt himself able to relax... slightly.  "...I think you've hit on it."  He said at last, decisively.  "It's the pressure to make a binary choice that I simply don't regard as necessary.  I mean, if I can change from stallion to mare just like this-"

He paused to sip his tea.  Even as the last of the delicate taste had traveled beyond the back of his tongue, the shift had already begun.  By now, it felt as easy and natural as changing clothes; just a few stretches and shifts of muscle, and a flip back of an elongated mane, and there she was.  Princess Bluebelle sighed, but was still smiling.  "It seems a little absurd to say that I must stick to one or the other, doesn't it?"

Well, unlike Blue, Twilight didn't lead a life worthy of the tabloids. After the initial flurry of news regarding her ascension she had quickly been deemed too sweet a target due to her exact position as Princess of Friendship and her general attitude towards others. This wasn't to say that she didn't pop in from time to time, but compared to others she was downright boring. Celestia ruled the land, Luna was a traitor who was banished to the moon for a thousand years, Cadance had recently given birth to the first Alicorn foal ever, and Blue was changing sex like people changed outfits. Compared to all that, the little Friendship Princess in the podunk town that didn't have five star accommodations just yet was a less than engaging target for them to sniff around for quality dirt. So she wasn't all that worried about them finding out what she was doing. "Oh, I'm somewhat certain that I'm safe. Somewhat, unless somepony leaks it out. And that'd be tragic since they're just so nice, you know?" She said, buttering Blue up nice and well.

Mot that she really needed to. As they sat down for tea- good to see Blue understood the triggers, and confirming her own beliefs as Blue went about going to Bluebelle- it was apparent that Twilight ha ht the nail on the head. Yay Twilight! Best! Psychiatrist! Ever! She'd pat herself on the back if she wasn't still on the weeds with her erstwhile client. Being able to progress past that hump in the psyche that demanded conformity to standards was a huge step in the right direction. The comfort she displayed was a sign that there was something more than simple adaptation to a situation. There was happiness, acceptance, even preference in some ways. The same could be said for Blueblood. With that in mind, why force a change, a decision, conformity? It didn't make any logical sense! "Exactly! True absurdity would be abandonment of one side or the other, especially when you know that the truth is that you're both. You'd be denying an essential part of yourself, something fleshed out and worthy of love and respect. I think you're beyond the definition of male or female, beyond the binary choice presented to you."

Flattery was a currency among the nobility, but it had little value on Bluebelle's market.  Oh, sure, she'd accept compliments, it was just that she'd gotten so many of varying degrees of sincerity that one could hardly get solid favors for them.  Not that Twilight needed to know that; the Princess would refrain from revealing anything at present, but keep her hooves free for any future action she deemed necessary.  No promises would be forthcoming.

Although, as the conversation went on, Bluebelle felt less of a need to hold a sword of Damocles over her self-appointed therapist's head.  As the purple princess went on, the alabaster unicorn felt a great burden roll off her metaphorical shoulders, as one source of pressure and stress simply melted away.  She understood!  She wasn't going to pressure her royal counterpart to make a binary choice, and would support her endeavor to be who she felt herself to be now!

"Well, I'd prefer to say that I'm both rather than beyond.  There's nothing androgynous about me; when I'm a stallion or mare, you know it!"  It should be impossible to flaunt when one was technically sitting still, but Blue had practiced since foalhood.  One small flip of the mane, a few subtle shoulder shifts was all it took to make any observer aware of her figure and looks.

Twilight sighed, relief washing over her. Excellent. She had been the best psychiatrist ever and had completely helped her client and fellow royal over the hump of indecision, pushing past the walls of discontent to find the happiness inside. Nothing was better than this! Well, maybe having a book to write about this. Maybe she should do that. Not about Blue per se, but the concepts of gender in society. Their historical basis, social roles, the many variations throughout the epochs along with biological support for such matters. All of this could wrapped up in her own empirical observations. All together it would truly be a most wonderful read and it would help generations of Equestrians. What more could a mare ask for- neigh, what more could a PRINCESS ask for? It would help so many for so long!

Back to the moment. "Well, no matter how you decide to go out each and every night, you certainly do know how to make yourself both the center of attention and deserving of it as well! I don't think there's anypony who could hold a candle to you in that regard, nor can I think of anypony better suited to the positions you hold now. The importance you have to so many may be more indirect than with other royals, but in many ways, I envy you. The rest of us are placed so far up on pedestals and considered so sacrosanct that we have to concern ourselves in public all the time with everything we do. So not only do you have that benefit but now that I know such matters pique your interest, I can invite you to the next council meeting!" she clapped her hooves together. "Oh, that'll be a lot of fun!"

Such joy.
"Tell me, what sort of fabric do you lik best? Rarity tends to create a whole new line for every summit, for both function and form wherever we go. Give me your measurements both ways- she'll have some stunning pieces for you, I bet."

Interestingly, Twilight looked just as relieved as Bluebelle.  As the unicorn reflected, however, that all begin to make sense to her.  After all, suppose she were in the alicorn's horseshoes.  How well would she deal with the task of having to guide a patient from mental anxiety to metal peace?  Especially when the consequences of failure could mean watching a pony spiral into a tangled mess of stress and depression in front of you...

Yes, it would definitely be a relief to not have to deal with that.

Therapeutic hurdles having been leapt and passed, the visit began to relax into an informal and social atmosphere.  Bluebelle smiled over her tea as she sipped, accepting the compliments with cultivated grace.  "I look forward to that.  I have to say... it's taken some growing on my part, but I do feel more comfortable in this role than I ever have, even when I didn't conceive of it having such responsibility or potential."

Speaking of comfortable, the topic soon turned to a discussion of fabrics.  "Well... if it's the summer, either fine cotton, linen, or silk.  I've a special fondness for Velvet, but that's not exactly warm-weather wear."

• 2 weeks later...

Twilight made mental notes of the fabrics. To be far she made notes just about anything because she enjoyed the activity. Not many ponies could handle the amount of note taking she did. It was at times an excessive amount and she had certainly taken a lot today, even though parts of it were muddled by panic. Most of them were on point about her charge for the day and while it had taken some time. they had reached the conclusion that seemed most appropriate. It would be recorded and used for future studies on gender and Equestrian society! She would likely need Blue to write a forward for the book. Would Blue want to? Maybe two forwards! Or maybe a forward and an epilogue? It would be a seminal work on the subject, no doubt.

"I'm sure she'll create several designs that will fit you in both style and substance, Blue," Twilight said with a chuckle, "Celestia knows that Rarity has been purpose bred to do that. She could make a manticore a dress to shine. A pony with your body? Well, you know she does well," Twilight said, happy to see that they had entered into a very positive conversation. It brought something to mind, something that she was sure to mention before she left but had evaded her mind up until now, probably because of far more drastic exchanges taking precedent. Twilight dug into her saddlebag. "Oh! This might be of interest as well. It is an invitation to all royalty from Celestia for a private meeting and tour of something top secret in the Gallopocus Islands a few weeks from now. She won't even tell me what it is! Exciting, huh?" She tossed over the invitation, personalized for Blue. 

In the brief space of the conversation's drift into fabrics, Bluebelle's own mind had wandered a bit.  Topics of dress and social affairs could almost be handled on a kind of social autopilot, and now that the serious talk of the day was done, the Princess' mind felt the need to rest.  *Rarity's a real genius, alright.  I wonder if she has fixated on anypony after that night at the Gala?  Aside from that, she looked like a mare focused on her work.  Much like Twilight, really, in a way.  Hm...*

Another sip of tea, a few blinks.  Was the alicorn saying something else?  Oh, an invitation from Auntie Celestia!  "You don't say?"  She inquired brightly, pulling out the invitation:

My dear nephew/niece:

I do hope you will be able to make time in your now busy schedule to see a special project of mine.  I have a special role for you to play in it, if you are interested after seeing the fruit of many years of research and development.  There are always new seas to sail.

Celestia.

"Color me intrigued."  She answered, appreciatively.  "I shall make the necessary arrangements; it will be good to have the family altogether, as it were."

Twilight nodded. It would be good to have everypony together for something like this again. And Celestia was always so much more open and up front about her plans, so the fact she had some sort of big plan in play was very exciting stuff. Bluebelle/Blood wasn't the only pony to receive a personalized invitation, of course. Luna and Twilight received one each and there were selected others who had received them. "It should be a lot of great fun, no matter what it is. The thought of Celestia having planned something for so long is...enthralling, enticing, and a thousand times more," Twilight said, her absolute excitement not being hidden at all. She was sure that this was going to be big news. She levitated her own invitation out of her saddlebag and read it out loud.

"Dear Twilight,

I know your schedule is busy as always, but it would be my pelasure to show you a project that I have been working on for a great deal of time. I believe you will find it a most illuminating subject. I hope you will choose to take part once it has all been revealed. Magic knows no boundaries, my faithful student.

Celestia."

Twilight zapped it back into her saddlebag. "So we'll see, I guess. So many interesting things happening at once!" she said, sighing heavily. "And never enough time to devote to all of them...anyhoof!" she said, refocusing on her fellow royal. "I guess at this point I don't think there is anything more for me to do, or that I could do. You have a firm handle on who you are- everything else is truly secondary to that. Is there anythng else on your mind, Blue?" She asked, her mind trying to think if she had missed anything of import.

Bluebelle gave an empathetic look over her teacup.  Indeed, schedules never seemed to leave enough time.  "Actually... I should bring that up with Auntie Celestia and Luna.  After all, if they want, we can have 26 hours in a day rather than 24.  Would make a whole lot of difference in the long run."  With a light hum, she tossed the idle musing off with the mane over her shoulder.  Draining her cup, she put it aside.

"I can't think of anything.  There may be more minor issues, but as you said, the important thing is to have a handle on the center- myself.  It's... honestly, a huge relief to me that you understand."  There was a sincere look in her eyes as she took the hoof of her fellow royal.  "Until next time.  It was good to see you."

Archived