Magical Mischief (invitation only please)

BeGoneThots

Firestorm was a gentlecolt of many tastes. One of those tastes was collecting and studying magical artifacts. Not for the purpose of preservation or understanding, though he did turn over his notes to the local magical schools when he made significant finds. No, his interests were more for the expense of a prank at one of his many parties. Firestorm loved hosting parties and gatherings. He loved social gatherings of any kind. He hand a hoof in many things as it were, and loved to bring the nobility and social elite back into touch with the common ponies. He oft hosted parties for any pony he felt deserved them. And the purpose of his studies was to use the magical items as a sort of party joke or game. To which end, his parties were often riots. 

It was today that he was once more working his personal lab, though the door to the balcony was always left open. He was a lively old stallion. He loved visitors. And always made certain that any pony or other being that thought to stop by was more than welcome. His minimal staff were more like friends to him. His lush garden full of vibrant colors and signs telling ponies to help themselves to any flowers they wanted. He oft cast a look outside to see if somepony was coming. He was tinkering with an amulet today. 

He did not know what magical properties it had. Aside from the fact it practically radiated magic. His first bit of research was being conducted to determine exactly where and when it came from. When was it created, where was it created, and most importantly, why was it created? Those first three questions were always answered before he began other research. So far he had the when, and where. Though it was vague at best. The amulet was roughly 300 years old, and had come from a ruin located in the mountains outside Canterlot. He had bought it from a traveler, when he detected its magical properties. The traveler was an Earth Pony, and had no sense to tell what it was. Determining that the traveler was a ruin diver, he got him to tell where it came from and mark it on a map. Though at best guess Firestorm figured the pony had been a little less than completely truthful. After all, no pony wanted to give up their treasures that easily. 

Firestorm took a moment to sit back in his desk chair, spinning idly as he chuckled to himself, thinking up what possibilities it could be. The amulet was a mystery he wanted to solve, but in time. His research so far determined that it was for a noted pony that once lived in that area. But he could not find something as to why.

6SMi1qDG.png

Discord loved playing pranks and having himself a jolly old time, but it was the reason he was often left off of the guest list. If ever he learned that there was a pony who held parties for the sole purpose of having shenanigans, well the spirit could move on to the next plane a happy pony. Or -- something, It was spring and he was at the leisure of the warming days. Though it was not as warm as he would have liked, he couldn't complain about sticking to flagpoles anymore! Or -- ponies complaining he was sticking them to flagpoles. He thought it was funny! He didn't think they weren't as capable as he when it came to undoing the properties of ice! Nevertheless he was in a better mood! With spring came new inventories for the shops around Ponyville and Canterlot, so he decided today was a good day to go shopping! Maybe get some waffles while he was at it.

With no real direction or goal he warped between here and there until he selected a locale that was suitable for his state of mind today! There was never really any rhyme or reason behind where he roamed and how he traveled. More often than not he was following one of his friends, or stalking after an interesting energy signal. Trying to understand the mind of Discord often took a degree in astral physics to even scratch the surface of it. A strong knowledge of the stars and heavens was a start, and even that some things were impossible to explain. Like why did he even like chocolate milk...?

He dipped into the Canterlonian skies for a moment, and popped out. He was like a star constantly blinking in and out of existence as he moved like a snake through the clouds. Something caught his eyes, in particular something caught his ears. Giggling. Now it was not the mocking guffawing or high brow titters he was used to hearing amongst the canopy of noble homes that painted Canterlot's skyline. Their tall homes so far off spread to encompass their need for property in where they held their parties which ranged from soirees to tea parties! The latter being a favored sort to crash. And crash se sometimes did. It was not as if they could say much due to him being a comrade of the Princess of Friendship and the fact that he was under reformation, often needing a hoof from neighbors to learn the proper pony etiquette. It was a test of their patience and a test of his willingness to learn and become a bit closer to ponies, though it was not always easy for him to see things their way. It was often contrived and silly to a being who has been to the distance.

He dropped down from the cloudy heights so he was at level with the fantastical abodes. Soon he reached one that was "open" and a light with the giggling he had heard moments prior. Pricking his ears the spirit would grin, only to get tugged as his shadow, cast by the lights blazing from inside, would pop off!

Into the room the shadow slithered, crawling along the ground before jumping agianst the walls. It crept along, using the shadows cast by the furniture to make its way around. Discord landed on the balcony with a ticker tap. His hoof and talons touched ground as he moved into what appeared to him to be an office, at least that was what the desk and spinning chair indicated. Pricking his ears the mismatched chimera would raise his paw in an attempt to warn the stallion "Look ou--" But his shadow would make move to attempt and pounce the male, bouncing off its successful, or failed venture. "....out." The spirit hovered up to snack the tail of his shadow and floated up off the ground. "Pesky things, no?" 

He would muse before a blue cookie tin appeared in front of him, but to one's disappointment when it was popped open inside would sit tools for sewing. With quiet patience the magnanimous spirit of noise and confusion would begin to sew his shadow back into his tail to keep it in place. Looking over his form it was hard to tell where this draconequus began or ended. With the head of a horse and the body of a snake, his dragon's teeth and tail, reflecting in contrast off his reptilian food and lion's paw -- he was just a mess! Once it was in place, the shadow tried tugging itself off again, but with a snap of his tail the noodle calmed it and landed down once more.

"Well, well, haven't you been told stories about what happens when you leave balcony windows open? You can invite all manner of mischievous pixies into your home, you know." HIs lips would pull back into a grin. "Though it seems you were having  quite a load of fun without me." He pressed his claw to his chest.

At being tackled by the shadow, Firestorm let out a loud an surprised yell. He was confused and his magic responded in kind, trying to push the thing away but he had no idea where or WHAT it was. Though when Discord took his shadow and began sewing it on, the stallion marveled at him. He had never seen such a being before. He walked around him, with all the curious wonder of a foal. "My word you are a sight. Such magics, and," giving a chuckle again, "such antics. My my I would love for you to join my parties one day. I think you would love it!!!" 

The stallion chuckled coming back to reality as it were, Hearing Discord speak about having fun already. "Oh yes!!! I was thinking of planning another party once I figured out what this amulet does. I have a habit of using magical pranks as the center of all my parties. Though I have not had the privilege of getting a princess to join yet, I hope that one day I can get them too. We all need a good laugh." Coming to his desk, Firestorm pulled his chair over, then levitated another over for Discord, motioning him to join. "Here. This amulet here. My research so far has told me that it is fairly old. 300 years to be more precise. Now then, it was crafted by the unicorns that used to live up in the mountains around Canterlot. Though I have not discovered yet why it was created and for what purpose. But look at this. Such strange symbols and the aura it gives off is so slight. It is almost like it doesn't possess any magic at all."

Again the stallion chuckled. He rolled his chair back and then to a large cart that held plenty of things for making tea and small snacks. "Can I offer you some tea and cookies? Or perhaps some milk and fruity tarts? Hmmm I think I might have some cheese here too. Really almost anything you want." He was busy fixing a little of everything on a plate, chuckling and wiggling in his seat. For an older stallion of nobility, he was as uptight as a foal. He seemed to more enjoy fun and games. 

6SMi1qDG.png

It wasn't the neatest of sewing jobs, but it would do. His messy stitching left the old shadow flailing, protesting the hack-job. Discord ignored its silent pleas and settled to a float just above where he had come to settle. His hind legs were slightly raised off the ground, forelimbs tucked agianst his feathery coat as the misshapen eyes turned towards the noblepony whom, he had come to expect, to have lost his bananas, for scale, once he was take out way by a draconequui formed shadow. But alas, it was not meant to be! The fellow had taken the swing full on and even took to a storm of words the spirit could barely follow. Ironic that.

Now this was a different sort development, if ever he did see. Discord was a god of chaos, and as was his very nature -- he was driven to create haphazards and other confounding predicaments amongst pony kind bringing excitement into their otherwise redundant, lotus-eating lives! To see this pony of the upper echelon act like a foal, one who looks as if he's seen his days go by and by ... why if he were so inclined Discord could mistake him for having lost a few marbles to gables amongst his peers. He could not help himself when he pulled from his feathers a bag of the glassy orbs, offering it to the mature fellow, and certainly not mature in the sense of responsible. 

"Missing something?" He would tease. "A party?" And yet another surprise.

Discord was not the sort you simply invited over and expected for tea and biscuits, expecting he would convene quietly over topics concerning world peace and the sorry state it has fallen to. And lo, to him: it has. As such the beast branded the pony community a bore, fallen to contentment and a desire to willfully not progress. To think they wanted to live their lives in quiet peace, counting each minute and hour over the serene lull of the humming breeze. The stagnation of ideas and the slothful abandonment of change. Celestia has fallen slack, and her sister's return didn't make it any easier for the maiden was left to tend to her, Twilight and many other trivialities that would have been saved by simply asking for his help. It took her a thousand years and he wasn't even granted an 'I told you so', as reward. But he was the bigger draconequui about it and accepted the need to reform, however demeaning it had been and how troublesome his former curiosity had become in his age.

"Now, I am all for the idea of a party, but I must divert the conversation and take a moment to bring into question your -- state-of-being. Now come again?" He held out his paw as the object floated towards him, the bag of marbles spilling with a clattering rain onto the tea tray as the spirit would ease his noodly rump into the offered chair. "I doubt a princess would even have time if it wasn't some sordid affair involving a rowdy spirit or a disruptive parrot." To name a few. 

He listened to the old pony prattle on, somewhat being reminded of -- He shook the thought away and held the amulet up by its chain, in his claw as his paw rest just below it in the case it fell. Turning it slightly to better see the front he looked over the artifact. It was quite old, but three hundred years ago he was just a statue. In that time Canterlot had grown around him and he went between storage to storage until finally he was placed in the gardens, an ornament whose meaning had long been forgotten. He could not help but ponder if his arrival in that place had been a purposeful attempt to remind Celestia of her past, or to simply air out the reliquary, but nevertheless he had woken up thanks to a few mouthy foals. Her waning powers over the element had aided in that, so the Crusaders couldn't take the blame all their own.

"I've no clue what this is besides jewelry. I am no goldsmith." He professed. He blinked, ears tucking back. ":Oh tea and tarts would be lovely. I was on quite a long flight and -- wait..." He was thrown off his pacing by this fellow. "I've not seen you around. Are you really a noble or will I find the proper owner of this manor with a knot upon his crown and tossed away in the nearby closest." He did sort of worry if he was dealing with somepony that would tarnish his record.

He's been ten days without an incident!

Firestorm burst out laughing. Standing he walked to the back wall of his office space and motioned to the picture that hung there. It was of him, with his mare and their son. Though that still silly look was on his face. Coming back to the cart, he picked up his tea cup and took a sip. realizing it was empty he snickered and poured two cups of tea. Then he chuckled at the marble he found in his cup. Taking time to gently levitate it up and then gather the marbles together, he let them all float around him as he took the time to study each one. Fascinating game, he loved it due to it often challenging both the player's skill and their planning ability. 

Looking back to Discord he chuckled again. "I am Firestorm. I am the noble of this manor. Though I am not so high and mighty as my fellow nobles. I believe what makes us truly noble is something more than money or title. No, I have spent my twilight years fostering the ideas and trades of other ponies. Protecting their ideologies and minds now that I am too old to protect their lives and farms. And in my time, I have learned that a pony that does not take time from work, and enjoy a bit of company and laughter does not fully enjoy life. What is there to protect when the mind is but a blank book? No.. .NO I SAY!!! We must fill them with the cherished memories of fun and good times. Laughter is a medicine I intend to use to its fullest! Let my snooty comrades in title hold their tea parties. I will spend my time planning for a...." he paused as an idea struck him. He immediately poured more tea in the cups and began to talk to himself. 

"Perhaps I could get that magical blast box back out. I haven't used it in a long enough time. Most will have forgotten it. I could load it with whipped cream this time, instead of streamers. But the streamers were so colorful and made the foals giggle...oh I could load whipped cream in WITH the streamers. that way the adults get a laugh while the foals get their colorful giggles..." Realizing he was off track he shook his head. Looking to the strange creature before him he gave a soft but simple warning. "Be careful with that. I have no idea what it might do. Though putting it on would certainly divulge that information immediately. I dare not test it. For all I know it could make you weigh a ton. Or it could turn you into a rabbit. Any number of dangers. Or not dangers. Hmm I suppose this is why I enjoy this sort of hobby. The guessing, researching, and also testing." Pushing a plate of tarts toward his new friend, the pony spoke. "You yourself seem most interesting. I have not seen you before. Are you a new comer to these parts? Or have i spent too much time in my studies and neglected the most basic and simple tasks of any host? Knowing one's own guests."

6SMi1qDG.png

The old pony found humor in his question and, were Discord on his usually drive to cause mayhem, he would have too. There were times where the astute chimera only came about to have a bit of tea with a neighbor. Even if his manner of drinking said tea was … upside-down, (no literally he drank it upside-down) he was capable of holding a fruitful conversation filled with inane facts about the weather. His inability to do so for longer than. A minute before altering the reality around his host was another matter entirely. You could lead a pony to water... but making them drink it without properly testing it for contaminates seemed irresponsible, so did trusting this fellow with no proof of purchase.

His eyes followed the pony towards the massive portrait. When had that gotten there? Discord needed to pay more attention! The portrait reminded him of a ghost story he once heard… not that he believed in spooks!! It was just uncanny. Given he was a unicorn there was no avoiding the comparison. It had been an old sorcerer with a family, just like that. Died, cursed his enemies and haunted anyone looking for his son again! If he recalled the story a team of Ghost Fighters came to end his reign of terror! Real spooky stuff.

"Quite an eccentric idea." The spirit arched a brow, not that he did the agree. "Parties are what chaos is all about! It brings ponies together and tears them apart." He mused.

It gave Discord such a fanciful idea as well! If he was so into having fun there was no need for the chaotic being to influence him, but he could encourage the old pony on this path. It had so much potential. It was a shame the bouncy pony was achy and riddled with the old. Sometimes there were things you couldn't avoid nor address by simply stealing the powers of others. But as the draconequus has learned with friendships as of late you had to give to really see advancement in ponies. Discord was suddenly in a suit of armor, well a breast plate and helmet with a jousting javelin in arm. He smirked, glancing toward Fire.

"So you were that sort of pony. You know those days aren't lost. In your age I think there's something you can provide, at least with a little help from me." Discord put the amulet in his hindtalon, holding it ever gracefully as his tea cup floated, paw and claw clasped together in an elegant and regal manner, despite his chimeric nature, a sheer monstrosity among ponykind. "New? Hardly. I am older than time, a spirit wandering about employing new methods on unlocking the potential of ponies and their ilk." Of course as a god of chaos that meant ensuring they were the sorts who stepped from the path of harmony and right into the traffic life! 

Life was perilous and magic, law, authority made sure they didn't make the mistakes of their predecessors and while some were good not to repeat, he felt that a few more needed to make better use of the magic they did have, use it differently… better. He looked to the amulet and brushed his paw's digit over it, turning the gem in the center from its original color to a rosy pink. Whatever it was it took his suggestion quite easily. Were the noble to put it on… his eyes would be open to all the potential parties that could be had anywhere he went. He would see the inspiration of a world bathed in the color rose…

"How about it?" Discord held out the amulet. "I think with this you can see the potential to your desires a bit more clearly now." He set the amulet down and took a tart, cheerfully nibbling upon it.

Firestorm set his tea cup down and took the amulet with some genuine reverence. There was no hesitation as he slid it over his horn and around his neck. The moment it settled it glowed vibrantly. Getting brighter and brighter to the point it was almost blinding. Then it just faded back to its normal color suddenly. Firestorm rubbed his hooves on his eyes, blinking to get the brilliant colors from his vision for a bit, before he was suddenly pulled to the floor as if a great weight had been placed on him. After a moment it seemed to pass and he stood. 

His attire rumpled and creased, but he took no notice as he moved slowly to the balcony. Looking out over the courtyard of his manor. Instantly his eyes filled with thousands of ideas. one after the next assaulting his mind. Each more funny and entertaining than the last. He burst out laughing as he moved closer to the edge. "This is amazing!!!" he shouted before his chest bumped the rail. Keeping him from falling over the balcony. The servants in the courtyard paid no heed, well used to this sort of behavior from the lord of the manor. 

The old pony was spry for his age, and bounded back inside, dashing down the hall to the room he oft used to entertain guests. SO many ideas flooding him on how to make new and grand parties. Parties that would make so many ponies laugh and be merry! As he wandered back to the make shift lab, his eyes filled with wonder at the sights he saw. Coming back he sat in his seat, panting lightly with all the running. He smiled, "My my so much fun to have. I can hardly believe it!!!!" his horn glowed as he attempted to levitate the amulet off. Instead it seemed to feel heavier. 

He seemed puzzled and tried to use his hooves to lift it. Again it felt heavier with each attempt, never rising from its position. Even as he strained to get it up, his neck craning as he tried to push as hard as he could. The amulet never moved. "Oh dear..." He panted out. relaxing back in the chair as he sighed softly. "It seems to be stuck!" he said in an excited pant. Turning to his notes he tried to look past the visions of balloons and decorations to make some sense of what had happened. 

6SMi1qDG.png

The artifacts around Equus were as many as the creatures on its soil. For as long as there has been curiosity and fighting there have been the creation and loss of these magically powered devices. Some were simply a result of the object's age, finding worth by absorbing the energies around it. Some were designed for a specific purpose, to better the lives of its creator or settlement. For every helpful relic born there was a dangerous one that creates considerable strife among the citizenry of modern times. While many remained obscure or were tightly sealed away by viscount's of authority: there were some that found their way into curio shops or antique stores where inexperienced handlers were misguided in their efforts to obtain something truly unique.

Discord watched with restrained delight as Firestorm's eyes were caught by the vision of temptation. Discord had tucked his tail's white tuft beneath the cup that had been offered to him. His lips curled back, pinching his cheeks, as he watched the result of his actions roll into play. His hindtalon was crossed over his left hoof whilst his paw held the plate of tarts, claw picking away undesirable pieces. His face pulled into a picturesque still of beguilement. It was like watching a wreck. Eyes would neither blink nor turn as the disaster rolled about in slow motion. The way the noble's eyes lit up, his body reflecting the pure, frantic inspiration that was born of an infinite number of new ideas. If this wasn't a good kind of chaos... Than it was time to lock Discord up again! No harm could be stirred from his little charm, though taking it off was like finding the trick behind a Long Guo hoof-trap. While Firestorm could easily disregard the provided suggestions the spirit knew that he lacked the self control to. He was not really corrupting him. The pony was already rather dissolute without any interference.

Discord watched the internal struggle with eloquent delight. He sipped on his tea, a tart floating helplessly in the darkly colored liquid, flakes from the light crust bobbing about in a desperate attempt to not sink. "Hmm," he cooed at Fire's realization that the amulet was immovable. "Quite. The problem with spells like that is that they tend to create a reverse gravitational time -- " he furrowed his brows and waved his paw. "Well complicated explanations aside, it's stuck. You know like those enchanted horseshoes that make you dance forever, or sleeping spells. Things like that always come with a price." He dictated.

Another idea came to mind, his forked tongue slithering out to slurp up the soggy tart before he set down the empty tea cup. 

"I could… take it off. But I would have to negate its power and it can never be enchanted again..." And therein lay the difficult choice. "I'm sure you don't need inspiration, you've so much potential already. I mean a shadow puppet party is okay compared to a soiree filled with living shadow puppets!" He motioned to his own shadow, cast by the hearth's flames.

The shadow was mid sip of its tea and waved goofily back at the noble. Now this was a decision that would effect the rest of his days...

Firestorm was loath to lose such a unique enchantment because it was stuck to him. However, the object was rather heavy. He wondered on this as he reached for his tea. Taking a soft sip, he paused. "Perhaps...there is no other way." He said reluctantly. He had not wanted such to happen. However he would need it taken off so that he could properly change clothing and conduct his parties. 

"No I dare say no. Take not for granted the blessings of muse and delight." He refilled their tea cups and returned to his notes, sorting through them with all the organization of a foal looking for a particular crayon. His eyes finally fell on the book he was working with. A catalog of enchantments from the past. "HERE! We may use this to divine the effects so that it can be preserved, and once more used again in the future!" The old coot was very fond of his newfound visions of merriment. And refused to let them go to waste. Discord's temptation of his funny bone had more than wet the old pony's appetite for amusement. He was practically salivating at the thought he would be able to bring forth a lasting series of jokes, pranks, and party attractions that would last well beyond his own lifetime and into the future. A list for merrymakers of the years yet to come could be compiled and left for all to enjoy. TO make well their lives with laughter and cheer. Too much order was a burden upon the nobles. It was a burden Firestorm did not share. his own manor was bright, colorful, but not organized like it normally would have been 

No, it was more whimsical than most believed possible. And yet it was beautiful and crafted to inspire. And inspire it had. Yet with this amulet, Firestorm could see so much more. So many parties and such fun. He could not bare the thought of destroying it, of losing the gem of fun that this object was. Now he had to find a way to keep it safe in removing it. So that future generations could benefit from it! 

in his hustle to get more notes, he had indeed lost the marbles he had had floating around him. Several of them rolling about on the floor as he went about levitating paper and quill to record as he read both in his head and aloud. The stallion seemed full of energy so suddenly. And the grin on his face was telling of why. "I must make a note. This is the first time in my long life I have had a guest which has not only brought me a smile but given me such ideas!!!!" The quill and paper were already working. Preserving on paper the ideas the stallion had in his head. And yet his eyes were roaming the book, looking for some clue to help him. 

6SMi1qDG.png

Firestorm had gone with all of it a bit too easily. The spirit had offered him the gold are the end of the rainbow, a reward inconceivable to most. It couldn't be that Discord had somehow planned it all in advanced. Coming upon the stallion's balcony by chance seemed likely, but knowing just how to handle the cursed artifact? Well that could be deemed more experience than anything else. He was an ancient being and it should be assumed he ha an encyclopedic knowledge of such things, but more times over he seemed to have the recollection of hole-filled cheese. Having spent some time in the presence of ponies and best understanding the chaotic sorts, it didn't take a diploma in biochemistry to really guess at what made Firestorm tick.

Now what delighted Discord so was watching the old pony try to solve his problem. It was unlike Rune who had tried to dictate his present by emphasizing a future where he existed.  No, not Firestorm. He seemed to delight in a future where his ideas lived on and by passing on the merry making and letting other ponies experience excitement, change... Not the same old drab existence of his predecessors. It was a welcomed change and Discord, for one, would encourage it. He delighted in the abstract fun a party could provide. It was probably why he enjoyed some if Pinkie Pie's ideas when it came to that cannon of hers. Nothing screamed chaos more than. The unscheduled blasting of a party cannon, to be sure.

It was what these boring old habit seekers needed.

The spirit found disfavor with their inactivity. Always hiding in their safe little manors with their peace and quiet. It was most detestable. Canterlot was quite grand, a great many number of things to do. He has to say the great, solar monarch must have seen how boring and trite the average, every day was and spiced it up. Continuing the though the spirit was assured that the nobles did all they could to remain safe and quiet, peaceable in their little homes? Such was enough to make the spirit roll his eyes, but he resisted. When Firestorm provided him with what appeared to be a a plan of action. 

Taking the catalogue in paw the spirit sat back, the delicate handle of the tea cup being clutched in his fierce, reptilian talon. Not a drop of tea was spilled as he readjusted his body, looking at the enchantment notes. The spirit looked quite regal, if not bizarre. His body, though twisted and incompatibility, worked well together. His wizened beard gave him a confident look of age whilst his horns curled back, each point yet another measure of age and experience. Sharp, predatory claws, beastly fangs and vibrant eyes filled with dedicated madness… he was a beast that was built by legends. When a pony could not clearly describe his menace, whenever a table mislabeled a part of his hide… he grew yet another obscure shape.

There was no question he was chaos incarnate and this the chaos of a pony's mind was just as fault for his creation than he was for his own.

"Excuse me…?" Discord's claw pressed to his chest, his fluff of feathers bristling as if he was offended by the credit received. "…haven't ever you had company that could titillated you?" Surely he was no unique guest given the old noble's nature... Well he was amazing, but still. "Well... I suppose I am quite amazing. It is hard not to crack a smile at my brilliant jokes and magnificent ideas." Indeed!

Impressed by the pony's spirit ... Discord decided to lend him a paw. Leaning back and taking a sip from his cup he rolled his shoulders. "Well since I am such a special guest I could perhaps lay you with a means of handling this little curse, but tell me what sort of party are you planning? I mean being that I am your honored guest we must do something." He chuckled. Anything to interrupt the neighbors. 

Firestorm chuckled and practically pranced as he spoke. "Oh I have had many guests that make me happy and smiling. But none before that have made me laugh this way. And to have given me such great ideas for more parties and pranks!!!" He moved to a wall, opening the glass case and pulling out a large book with his magic. Bringing the rather large book to the desk he set it down gently and opened it. It was a literal list of all his favored pranks, party tricks, and favors. Listings of foods that included poison joke in small doses to provide extra effect, but nothing serious. Drinks that were fizzy and even enchanted cookies that made guests float inside the house. Pranks including flowering straws with edible flowers, glasses that showed a pony only the cloths of the other patrons but made the guests invisible, tarts that made ponies bark like dogs for a little while. Listings for the exact perfect amount to fill balloons so that they would float perfectly to run against ponies and make them all statically charged, perfect size of chair to be just a bit wobbly without tipping over, the exact kind of scent to make any pony be enthralled and repelled at the same time. 

Further into the book there were listings of normal treats and foods to serve that made certain everyone had plenty to choose from. As well as lists of small businesses that would cater. Strange that a noble would shop those kinds of places, rather than the more upscale ones. Even listings for costumes or tailors for special events the old pony hosted. There was a tab to the side for weddings all together on its own. The book was his life's work. and with the amulet he intended to make it so much better. 

"This party is to be an extravagant one. I will invite EVERYPONY! I will even send invites to the princesses. I want my home packed with guests. Yes!!! We shall have a night to remember. The entrance will shower them with confetti to start. But then, I'm thinking perhaps joke muffins with a lovely message inside. Something to make them giggle so they don't notice the poison joke taking effect. Oh nothing serious. just a little for color and giggles. I've found that its a large hit with the foals that come! Yes something for every pony to laugh at. And then, Yes then a cake that squirts cream filling on anypony trying to cut a piece. OH!! and floating fizzy drinks. Ones that make ponies float a foot off the ground!" He rambled on, listing more and more as he flipped pages and made notes on a pad. 

"OH and these!!" He levitated a pair of rather unassuming glasses up and settled them on Discord's nose. Looking through them one would see the office space normally, unless they looked at the others in the room. Firestorm's clothing was still there, His clip on shoes clapping together in glee. but the pony himself had all but vanished when looking through the glasses. "They turn the guests invisible to each other. You cant see who you are talking too!! I've seen so many ponies become friends using them. They become liberated and unashamed of their looks. They can get to know each other for who they are!!!" The old coot was practically vibrating in mirth as he planned more and more things. A party that would involve ponies and griffons of all ages. Even any changelings he could get to attend. He wanted everypony to see and have fun with it! That the chaos of sudden surprises could be something to share and enjoy!

6SMi1qDG.png

The mad were always such a delight. Full of revelry: the energy that inspired them created the most apparent forms of chaos that Discord could never perform on his own. No such style of frenetic behavior was within his realm, as they were the sole claim of ponies such as Firestorm. It was why he loved to entertain mortals so. The fury they found on the roads of usurping the prosaic life passes to them from society. They came so far and few between that the spirit sought to entertain their delightful points of view. He could relax and listen for hours as their banter strayed off into the impossible making these dreams and wishes probable.

The mad scrawling of paper and writing implement was the music of a dreamer. Notes danced and bows beneath the wavering ideas that did to flow, change, and rearrange. Organizing disorganized vagary was like breathing life into a foolish ambition that would have never, otherwise, seen the light of day, nor the kiss of night. Monotony, while seemingly harmless: did well to drive a pony insane. It was hard to imagine, but when you've lived the same days over and over it was often the freedom of irrationally that brought a forgotten peace to the painful serenity.

When the book was brought out Discord vanished from his seat, leaving naught behind but the tea cup. The porcelain cup clattered softly against the wood, the bottom unstained by tea as Discord did well to consume his portion down to the last drop. He now floated over Firestorm, peering over his shoulder at the contents. With his forelimbs tucked hind his back and head curled down the spirit began to understand the scope of the old unicorn's way. One could easily mistake the book for an ancient tome of spells. It seemed worn, as if somepony loved it and dearly grasped it's edges as they read. The spine had a permanent crease where it was held open for hours and poured through as if it contained the meaning of life.

This was his life. 

He was not all that different from ponies like Pinkie or Cheese… just older. It was endearing to think that this would be them at such an age. He pressed his claw to his chest, those narrow digits digging into his coat, as he read down the daunting list of successful and outrageous party favors. His paw slung down just beside his head. The large paw, though quite dangerous looking, had not one sharp angle to it, unlike his eagle's claw. The dark, rounded beans on his toes and palm were quite soft looking, the rounded digits but sheaths for the deadly, feline weaponry. Yet throughout their encounter it was never shown as anything but a gentle contrast to his claw. Maybe it was something worthless to notice, or even note.

But the vastly contrasting parts of his existence played role in his chaos more desperately than one could prioritize cause to. "That's quite a list of guests, but how will you ensure they all come?" He scratched at his beard at the mystery of party ponies and their strange ability to bring others together. "My, quite toe alchemist to render such a brew." Fizzy lifting drinks, huh? 

The spirit pulled back at the sudden placement of spectacles on his muzzle. He floated back at the surprise and pulled his limbs against his body at the curious effect. His ears perked up at the clippity clap, but behind the view of the lenses there was nopony. Pushing them slightly off his nose the old unicorn was once again visible. How queer! Discord supposed he could support such an endeavor. Engaging the humdrum in a direct manner as this was a find way to busy himself. But that is not what drew him, not his shadow, to the noble's nightly chorus of madness. Firestorm was at an age where he was not old enough to retire, but neither was he so young that he could travel the world. There was something in him that had such potential it intrigued the spirit. He was aware of the old pony's world worth and this book… it was a fantastic legacy.

"Tell me Fire. Have you ever considered who will get this wonderful collection of knowledge you've earned over your lifetime?" It was the big question.

((OCC hold on to your flanks. This post is gonna be a doozy))

Firestorm gave pause at that question. he had had an answer for how to ensure the guests were going to come. In short, he didnt plan on all of them coming. not all of them would. That was the purpose of such a huge list of guests to invite. To ensure that many ponies would come no matter what. Even if he had to run the districts on hoof, handing out fliers to every pony he saw. But that question. it troubled him. He had no pony to leave these works too. 

Laying down his quill he leaned back. Looking at his beloved collection within the tomb. "I had hoped at one point my son would take after me. But he took after his mother. And it would be a burden to him to leave this to him and expect him to carry it out as I have. He enjoys social gatherings. But forming a party like this is beyond his ability and his certainty. The stallion looked toward the window. He was thinking as a thought dawned on him. "Perhaps there are ponies, to which I could leave proper copies of my work. Ones that would use it, or preserve it until such a time as it is called for again. At the galloping Gala, I once saw several mares that were out of place. And very lively indeed. I believe they were the Princess Twilight and her company of friends. Though there are others here in Canterlot as well. Knowledge of delight is a thing most dear. Perhaps... as a precaution that my time comes before one can be given this torch to carry... I should instill a copy of my work in the royal library. That all may indeed have the chance to look upon and delight in such as these works. And..." a small smile crept upon his face as he turned to Discord. "A copy for you, my friend. Something tells me you would have much delight in seeing and playing with such things as I have in here."

The stallion returned to scribbling down his list. Three full pages before he was done. Then he moved to the list of invitations he had haphazardly put together. Cleaning the list up properly, and magically levitating over a box of proper invitations. He set the magic quill to work writing them out. That done he turned to the cart. Levitating Discord's forgotten up onto the cart and replacing it with a fresh clean cup. Filling the new cup and refilling his own he sat back. "And perhaps this party shall indeed be the best one of them all. I am calling for all ponies, both common and noble to come. For all ages to join. I want no being, pony or otherwise to be left out."

As the invitations were filled out, they levitated over to a large mail bag. Settling themselves in neatly. It seemed the stallion was no stranger to inviting large crowds and had multiple mail bags, each labeled for various towns. The largest for Canterlot of course, but others for places such as Manehattan, Ponyville, Cloudsdale, and Fet Loch. Soon enough all the bags were being filled. And no sooner were they filled than a pair of servants appeared with push carts. Loading them up and taking them away after replacing them with empty ones. And still more invitations were being written. Firestorm looked upon the chimera before him. A gentle smile upon his lips, as if looking at an old friend. "You greatly remind me of a friend I once had when I served in the guard. He was always so full of mischief and life. Always ready to have fun and even at his own expense have a laugh. Oh he was a chap to be certain. A head full of ideas that one. And always smiling about something. Tis a shame he passed on some years ago. He would have loved to have met you."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The date was set for a week from the day the invitations went out. During that time, the manor was being prepared. Extra chairs brought from the attic, tables from the storage room, and a large order for balloons was placed. Several chefs arrived from various places, bringing with them their entire staff. One would never believe all of them would fit into the kitchen. Though the kitchen took up the entire basement of the manor. A full larder stocked just for these occasions and right in the middle of it all the stallion of the manor himself. Covered hoof to horn in flour, cooking right along side them all. 

Aside from all that, other ponies that lived on the manor worked. The garden staff trimmed and decorated the gardens and entrance way. The house staff prepared the inside of the manor. Placing decorations, hanging lighting, and placing streamers. The massive call for so many guests was not unheard of. But the scale of this party was new. they had never known their lord to invite so many ponies. And their new guest was very interesting. Many of them were curious of him, often stealing glances or asking each other curious questions of his persona and placement. He was unique, and very interesting. 

As the party drew closer, Firestorm became more feverish in his efforts. Putting his very soul into this. though in his times to take a break, he spoke to Discord. Getting his opinions of matters and the plans for the party. Even going so far as to test the poison joke muffins. The effect was to turn his mane a bright lime green. He had good chuckle at that, before it wore off. The dose was so low that it wore off before an hour was up. Still giggling about it, the stallion set to work. He had allowed discord to engage and help wherever he thought it was a good idea. Even offering him the tomb to read should he want to get ideas. 

And when the week was up, the day of the party was at hoof. Firestorm took that day to relax, allowing his staff to do the same. The house was ready, the treats made and set. The decorations in place. All that remained was to wait for evening when the guests would arrive. Firestorm sat in his office, taking tea and looking over some notes. The cake was enchanted to spray sweet cream on any pony that decided to cut into it. The balloons were full of confetti and would make funny noises when popped. The replies form the guest list were promising. While a few nobles would be joining, it looks like ponies from all over were coming. Ponyville especially had sent two replies. One from Princess Twilight no less. And another form a fellow party pony, Pinkie Pie. Firestorm could hardly believe his luck! he practically pranced for an hour upon hearing the news. Now that it was time to take a break. He had bathed and put on a fresh set of cloths. Though these were not the normal wear of a noble. These were brightly colored, flashy and mismatched. Festive and happy colors, mixed with the decorations that hung from his mane and tail. Firestorm himself was like a living party favor. 

sml_gallery_2777_576_16254.jpg

Twilight Sparkle stepped onto the train platform, studying the party invitation one last time as she waited for her friend Pinkie Pie to make her exit. Before this she didn't know much about this Firestorm, only that he was a retired soldier with some considerable renown and also wealthy. Delving further into her research (because how was one to converse with somepony that she knew little about?), she found that he had an interest in magical artifacts. This peaked her attention, wondering what they were, how he found them, and if the old unicorn used them or simply collected them. No doubt that was why he invited her to this party as the Princess had quite a few magical artifacts from harmless to very dangerous in her collection. The idea of meeting a new pony and taking time out of her schedule to attend a party also interested her. 

"Pinkie, are you almost ready?" she said calling back to the inside of the train car as the last few ponies began to empty out of it. 

A pink pony emerged onto the train platform, following the Princess.  This pony did not bounce out of the train car;  in fact, she stepped out sedately.  Her mane, normally a mass of curly fluff, was pulled back into a bun on the back of her head.  Ok, the bun was still pretty poofy, but the pony had managed to to get it to stay in place... for now.  Perched on her muzzle was a pair of half-moon-framed glasses.  They were Mother Pie's old frames, though the pony wearing them had removed the lenses.  When the pony had looked at herself in the mirror, she'd giggled at how much she looked like her mom, but quickly reined herself in.  (Get it?!  Reined!  It's a joke because ponies....  AH HEM!)  

The pink pony shook her head to clear the silly thoughts.  This was serious, and she needed to stay serious, seriously.  It was the very first thing on the clipboard she carried in one hoof.  Well, there were some glittery stickers above that, but still...  

When the Princess called back to her, the pony answered, "Ready, spaghetti, Twilight!" in a cheerful voice.  She stopped, then slapped her hoof over her mouth.  Darnit, this was harder than she thought!  Settling back to a neutral expression, she re-phrased.  "I mean, I'm ready, Princess," she said in a much more subdued tone, adding a respectful nod to the Alicorn.  With that, she began heading out of the station toward Firestorm's manor.  Pinkamena Pie: Party Inspector was on the job.  Seriously.

6SMi1qDG.png

He personally didn't mind inviting everypony from the Prince of Yakyakistan to the Sultan of Saddle Arabia. He was a cultures pony who has been to the end of the world and back, but he was not a being that was often well liked due in part to his past disposition, yet in the face of ancient grudges mortals never failed to entertain! Leave it to him to plan and he would be sure to seat together enemies and ponies who just didn't quite get along. It was not to cause greater conflict, after all he had  a no interest in their politics, their wars. He much preferred timing how long it took for a food fight to start amidst ammo within reach, given the slightest infraction on one's honor. He would do to parade about and ensure attentions were focused on him. While his humor was from a different generation being ask nigh omnipotent being often creates an ego difficult to tame. While the wielders of the Stones of Harmony had somehow calmed the Lord of Chaos down, it wasn't enough to reign in that taste for such foalish escapades. Some would call it tormenting of lesser beings. But if they saw this as torment his past victims would be considered crimes of war. 

It was reasons like this that Discord wasn't always invited to such events. He was much better these days. A few idle spellwords and harmless visual gags that did more to proffer annoyance than it did harm or inhibit progress.

Sitting and listening to Firestorm include him, made the spirit feel almost humbled by it. Almost. The delight of planning a parade of pranks overtook that idea of sensibility laid over his youthful vigor. Ironic that, given his agelessness. He was too excited by the prospect of actually planning and hosting an event! It was not his manor but it didn't seem that Firestorm cared much either way in that regard. Well it was less planning and more obliging to absolute mayhem, but who was counting?! Discord was. Let things happen as they may, he always felt. Minimal interference. Nothing came from dedicated preparation. Besides if he partook in the very activity he teased the princesses for almost daily: he would be a hypocrite! That was no good. It was a shame though...

His son lacked the same drive and it was often in these cases that family traditions ended. As much as he would be dedicated to the idea of change and surpassing one's humdrum ways, breaking the mold as it were, it seemed that Firestorm was one of the few ponies who seemed to get just how important it was to push beyond the measure of one's limitations. His age carried no baring nor did his position in society. Sometimes it was these small ripples that cut the deepest across time. He would no. He's seen them. Discord's brows furrowed at the comparison. Full of life? Well he couldn't deny that, but there was somepony that held similarities to him and they were -- positive? That, in and of itself, was the most outrageous thing Firestorm had said all day. He he suggested spiking snacks with Poison Joke. 

Alas the vexations of mortality. Perhaps they would have been friends. These things come to pass. They are not forgotten but neither can they be held onto. Discord could understand. It came with caring for another… dreadful affliction really.

As the week went on Discord watched as the unicorn set method to his madness. While Discord was absent for Tuesday, tea taking precedence to any preplanned progress, he was at Fire's side, knowing this was likely his last grand hurrah. Whilst he didn't feel his age, it was there. He never offered much advice. Discord, while brilliant choice of advisor in such a case: it was Firestorm's place, his duty. He had to live his dream understand this strength. It has always been there, his life's work. All he needed was to open his eyes and that was what the amulet did, at the expense of a small price. When it was worth it, even a small price was worth paying. Realizing your dreams for a bit of burden like this was nothing compared to the burden of never living it. 

On the day of the party Discord was right beside Firestorm. "Oh you look fabulous, don't fret." So he managed to get Twilight and the party mistress herself to come along? Perhaps his role should be a surprise. "Do pardon me. I've a surprise for our guests that will make their entry unforgettable." Worth a snap of his claws the spirit would fade out like a certain, mischievous cat, grin and all! 

He would set above the door a pail. Inside were small hard candies. Once they entered it would be as if they were the pinatas as a small firecracker would pop loudly before releasing! Oh what fun seeing their expressions, especially since the candies all had his face in the wrappers.

At the train station, there was a rather large coach loading several ponies. The coach was easily the size of a small bus, prepared and ready for the ponies to be taken to the party. It had a sign on it that read "Party at Fire Manor." Behind it, a smaller coach, with a few ponies standing beside it. One was an REA soldier. He spotted Twilight and Pinkie, moving toward them. "Your majesty," he gave a quick bow and then stood straight again. "Lord Firestorm sent his personal carriage for you and the other ponies of nobility. If you will come with me please?" He motioned toward the smaller coach. Though it looked normal on the outside, the inside was literally like a small play place. The seats were bouncy, the ceiling of it had dancing lights of several patterns, there was happy music playing, and the windows had decorative things hanging from the inside. 

As the nobles entered, some of them took notice that Twilight was coming. Others wondered whom her curious companion was. They were the few regulars that often attended the parties of Firestorm. While they were dressed very nicely, they were more friendly than most nobility. The ponies pulling the coach all had drink caps, shades, and comfort harnesses. Firestorm seemed more to care about comfort and pleasantries than formality. 

Firestorm smiled to Discord as he went to prepare something. Chuckling to himself and moving to the window to watch the guests arriving. The first thing they would encounter is the courtyard gardens. Normally they were vibrant and full of color from the flowers that were free to take. But now they had the added benefit of balloons, streamers, and offered treats and drinks to get guests to mingle. There was the large open space in the center around a small fountain. It was not an extravagant fountain, but it was pretty to look at. And now the color of the water was running a strange purple color. It smelt deeply of honey and cream. A sweet scent that tickled the nose. If one were to taste it, it would have the flavor or fruit and cream with a hint of honey and nuts. As the large coach pulled up, Firestorm made certain to open the window and step out on the balcony. Smiling at the ponies and waving to them. Indeed, this was going to be a party to remember for years to come. 

There were certain things that Twilight was uncertain about with this whole party. Besides not knowing this Firestorm personally, she didn't know what to expect with the method of transportation, only that there would be one at the station for her. When the party coach arrived, the Princess was surprised! The lights, music, and sheer size of the coach made Twilight feel that this would be a party the likes of which would rival even the Grand Galloping Gala. But the next surprise was the smaller coach reserved for her and Pinkie which was just as light and music filled and welcoming. 

"Your majesty Lord Firestorm sent his personal carriage for you and the other ponies of nobility. If you will come with me please?" 

For a moment Twilight looked to the side as if expecting somepony like Princess Luna or Celestia. Even though it had been a few years since she becaame a Princess, Twilight still felt a little strange when called "your highness" or "your majesty." 

"Thank you," she said giving a polite bow as she entered the coach with Pinkie Pie. 

"Some coach, huh Pinkie? Let me guess, you want a coach like this for home, right?" 

• 3 weeks later...

Pinkie eased her way into the coach after Twilight.  She admired the festive decor...  professionally, of course, before sitting down across from her friend.  The seat gave a little bounce as she did.  Hmm, interesting addition!  She'd have to test it out, of course.  After several bounces that went to the ceiling and back, Pinkie suddenly stopped mid-bounce when she saw Twilight watching her.  The pink mare cleared her throat and said, "It is... satisfactory." she said, marking off a check on her clipboard.  She then added a sticker for good measure.  

The stallions harnessed to the coach (all appropriately attired, Pinkie noted) began trotting toward the manor house.  As they passed through Canterlot,  Noted the rigid, formal homes of the wealthy unicorns that lived there.  There was a reason the Party Mare was not her usual self tonight.  Canterlot parties tended to be, well, dullsville.  No cake, no games, no cake, no fun, and no cake!  She was hopeful that Firestorm could break that mold, but she wasn't getting her hopes up yet.  

Pinkie's ears perked up as they got closer, already hearing festive music from up ahead.  When she finally saw the big, brightly lit house they were headed toward, her eyes went wide in pleasant surprise!  The whole atmosphere did not feel like a typical Canterlot party already.  Still, she clung to her skepticism.  If she didn't project her hopes about this party, she wouldn't be disappointed, like during that first snore-a-minute Grand Galloping Gala...

• 2 weeks later...

6SMi1qDG.png

Fantastic parties and parading festivities! There was just a touch of chaos to these sorts of events. It was ideal breaking the mould that was expectation through variations in actions and adjusting the belief that ponies had when it came to such events. He always did fancy a celebration with the celebratory fancy suits. Outfits and baubles, top hats and canes: there wasn't a limit to the decor on both wall and pony to be seen during a party. What Discord loved best of these extravagantly disorganized gatherings was their ability to make believe they were planned. Contingencies only got one so far and with so many gathering nothing short of mind reading would help accurately predict the mass hysteria formed by these hootenannies!

The spirit vanished before he reappeared in front of one of the decorated windows. The tall frame was lined with colorful papers and balloons in a multitude of shapes and colors. The curtains themselves: the usual, heavy fabrics that fended off the chill of wintry evenings or cook spring days. The sheets were generously sprinkled with glitter so that whenever light hit it the reflective, silvery squares gave the effect of dancing in the light. It was really quite a sight. Colors, sparkles, and the smell of sweets filled the air creating a welcoming and playful atmosphere. For a spirit of chaos it was pure disorder. To see a Noble's home flooded with the sincerity of youth was contrary to their atypical ways. But what was best of all were the small additions the spirit provided.

Vegetables that tasted of candy and hard chews that were as soft as taffy. It was a bonanza of madness as punch bowls erupted with fountains of drink in an array of flavors while the pot of fondue was a bottomless bowl of brow and other flavors perfect for a god that grew giddy over Gouda or a peasant partial to parmesan. Whatever cheese one desired the fondue pot did not disappoint. Original down to the sporks replacing traditional silverware and chocolate mugs that gave any drink a tinge of bittersweet cocoa.

Discord settled on his tail, elbows on the ledge of the window. He watched as curious ponies watched, daring not to ask what mess the old noble has made now while some began to wander near like moths to the flame. But they didn't matter! Those misshapen eyes of ruby danced along the Amber sclera in search for his primary targets. His trap was set. When. The door was opened the bucket would spill candy, confetti and pudding onto the first guests and Discord would ensure -- there they were!! He bounced up on that red spring of muscle and popped out of existence, leaving the heavy, decorated curtains aflutter!

And in a fantastic display of magic and melodrama the spirit would pomf himself between Twilight and Pinkie. "My dear friends! It's been aaaages since we've seen each other!" The loud, spastic chimera would attempt to pull them both into a bear hug. "I see you heard about the party my friend is having." He grinned. "Please please come in and hurry. He'd be honored you be the first in." Oh the spirit was up to something, but what?

At this point there was no hope of Firestorm keeping himself in check. He trotted down to the main entry hall, checking that things were in place. Though he did not see the bucket over the door, he did not open it. He rubbed his hooves together, waiting for the first guests to actually make it inside. this was gong to be so much fun. He couldn't resist a chuckle as he watched the happenings in the court yard. Already some pony had discovered the effect of the bubbly drinks. They were floating. An earth pony clearly not touching the ground. Though going no higher than a half a foot off the dirt, they were laughing and rolling in the air. Several foals were present with their parents. Most of the guests in attendance didn't even notice Twilight and Pinkie. They were absorbed in what the noble had presented them in the courtyard. Foals were chasing after balloon animals. And it seemed the balloon animals were actually running. 

One Pony yelped in surprise as a streamer landed on them, and then began to slither across the ground like a snake. Even flicking out a little paper streamer tongue. But soon laughter replaced the surprised yell as more descended and began tickling the surprised pony. There was magic here. Lost of it. If one were to look closely, they would see it was controlling most of the inanimate objects. 

Over by the food table a group of ponies began laughing and calling out about something rather funny. A look would have shown a pegasus not only flying upside down, but in reverse. Most of the ponies in that group had several blue spots appear on them. One unicorn was trying to levitate something and her horn was looked like a sparkler going off. Even one of the house staff had blue spots on him. Though he looked rather tall now. Almost as tall as a fully grown allicorn. It was obvious now that there was poison joke in the blue cupcakes. But apparently every pony taking one seemed to get a kick out of it. Though when another servant came by with cups of juice, and the group managed to stop laughing long enough to get a drink, the effects seemed to wear off. 

As they approached the front door, there were two ponies there. Other nobles, but younger ones. Still young enough to enjoy a party it seemed, as they were conversing about past parties and upon noticing Twilight, they both paused from their conversation to give polite bows of their heads toward her. Then let her keep going as she appeared to be with others at the time. Over the noble's heads floated a rather fat looking balloon. One of them managed to look up in time to see it and then it just burst, showering them in a pile of glitter that was far too much to have actually fit in that balloon.both of them burst out laughing and shook their manes and faces off. 

• 2 weeks later...

The coach ride to the party was without incident if not memorable by the lights and music. Twilight couldn't help but giggle as Pinkie critiqued the party coach, perhaps even adding more ideas to her repertoire. Finally they went inside the manor and saw some very interesting events. There were foals chasing balloon animals, earth ponies floating into the air, and the voice of guests from the inside. 

"Hmm... very interesting magic going on here. It seems that the host in really into playing pranks on ponies."

She made her way into the actual manor house, only to find another surprise. Or, in this case a new person.

"Discord? You were invited to this party, too? Why am I not surprised seeing what the host likes to do?"  

• 5 weeks later...

Pinkie Pie's eyes went wide as the coach pulled into the manor courtyard, her jaw dropping open involuntarily.  The grounds were full of ponies... laughing!  And having fun!  This was nothing like she'd come to expect from a Canterlot party!  The decorations outside, and in, would not be out in place in a party she herself hosted, but her balloons and streamers couldn't move!  Well, they moved when she shot them out of her party canon, but that was different.  The decor was playing with the ponies!  

Her hoof flicked rapidly down the page of her check list, checking off multiple categories and liberally applying stickers and glitter.  "Twilight!  This... is... amazing!!" she called out, unable to hold in the excitement anymore.  

As the two mares dismounted the coach, Pinkie could spot the refreshments through the windows.  From just a glance. she was starting to drool a bit.  Completely disregarding her previous vow of seriousnessness, she began pronking toward the doors beside Twilight.  However, the figure in the doorway made her pull up short.

There was , of course, no mistaking Discord for any other being in Equestria.  The appearance of the draconequis made Pinkie stop in confusion.  She knew that Discord's reformation appeared to be genuine...  this time... but Pinkie still felt conflicted.  On one hoof, she knew all too well that the chaos being was great for a laugh.  But on the other hoof, she still couldn't quite trust him.  And, conversely, that just made her feel sad.  She'd never developed the kind of bond with Discord that Fluttershy had.  But, Pinkie wanted to be friends with everyone!  But how could she be friends with someone she didn't quite trust?!

The knot of confusion in her head that was Discord traveled down her back to her tail, making it vibrate.  The vibration traveled back up her spine to her ears.  At the same time, her left hind hoof became itchy...  Pinkie breathed a sigh of relief.  At least her Pinkie sense told her that the chaos noodle didn't anything too suspicious up his non-existent sleeves.  Taking heart, she resumed pronking toward the entrance door.  "Hiya Big D!"  she called jovially.  "You haven't seen a pony named Firestorm, have you?  I wanna give my complements to the host!" she said with a smile, just as she passed the threshold of the door...

• 2 weeks later...

discord_banner_full_smol_by_rex_draco-db

The king of chaos and Lord of shenanigans not behind a planned party of pranks and precarious hijinks? Well he wasn't always involved with ponies so it could be a rather surprising idea that he was involved with such an event, especially a noblepony's venue. But when he was invited a shindig managed to become quite a rousing party. He was always where he was least expected causing magical mischief. It was never a boring time with Discord involved. While the chimeric, mismatched creature followed a determined set of etiquette he was no slouch at turning them upside-down.

“I'm humbled Princess. To think you would attribute such an event to my tastes.” He smirked, tucked a paw to his chest, head lowering to sit muzzle to muzzle with the purple alicorn. “Perhaps it was somepony’s solemn wish I would attend…” as if insinuating that the mare herself had inadvertently summoned him with the promises of fun she was making Pinkie Pie.

Or perhaps it was Pinkie’s vow of behavior that had done it… It was always curious why he was wherever he ever was. It was as if one did to remember he existed. But perhaps that was because some days he did not. After all he was prone to bouts of leisure and notorious for his wanderlust. He was never in the same place twice and if he was, well you've encountered a paradox. Likely of his own design. Pinkie certainly had a right to her trepidations. He was a god of chaos and had an overwhelming taste for troublemaking, but in the end… he only wanted to make friends and play. And who didn't? He wasn't an entity if evil to begin with. Misguided pranks and the temperature of a demigod unused to being told know was bound to create tension.

Even still she greeted him with great jubilation! “Pinkie my pony counterpart!” He appeared behind her, slithering and curling about mid air as he did. “Why indeed I have. In fact I've spent the evening with him. Sleepovers can be so fun.” He chuckled. “It seems he's earned himself a bout of inspiration as well.” Thanks to a few twisting spells of his, but inspiration nonetheless! “He's just inside awaiting guests and seeing as you're here, well -- it's you.” He pointed his paw out to try and boop the mare on the nose.

Indeed he was waiting and past that threshold, when ponies entered, they would be splashed with a Cascade of candies and a popping display of fireworks! Of course with the spirit's blessing it would be quite the chaotic party. It would be talked about, teased over and gossip growing from.the grandiosity of the gesture provided by his presence. But -- it was not his doing. No. It was all Firestorm’s effort and all of his ideas. Discord had merely given him a.push in the right direction and stayed for the chaos.

Firestorm was almost vibrating now, barely able to hold back. This was the first time he had actually gotten a princess to join one of his parties! Who could blame any pony for getting a response from a princess? The stallion sat waiting patiently and looked up to the ceiling where more streamers sat in wait for ponies to enter; only for his eyes to behold the bucket propped upon the door. A classic gag and always entertaining, though still he readied an instant drying spell should the pony it happens too not be appreciative of such playful antics. 

His own brightly colored outfit clashed with the gentle tones of the wood and tile, but the carpets and the curtains were bright and vibrant. All the windows were open to allow fresh air and sunshine into his home today; though he had remembered to close his study lest some curious foal accidentally spill a drink on his notes in that room. Foals were prone to wander the fun house like rooms from time to time. 

As the courtyard continued with festivities he glanced out the window, and spied that Twilight, Pinkie, and Discord were almost at the door and he began to feel that Discord himself had set the bucket up. He stifled a giggle so as not to give away the gag too soon. A well timed gag was worth its weight in candy! And with his new friend around it promised to be quite the gag indeed. He was vibrating at this point, the old pony's mirth overflowing as the kitchen staff rolled out another cart of treats from the side doors. s the guests were enjoying the outside first, Firestorm had glanced around to make certain that the inside was prepared. 

Doors that opened to other doors that opened into the hall they just walked into the room from, rooms flooded with cookies that would wash over a pony like a tidal wave only to vanish into sparkling glow on touching them, and in the main hall not far from him, the magical blast box. It was his favorite, and this time he had loaded it with whipped cream, streamers, AND edible glitter that would make a pony sparkle like a Crystal Pony for a short time. It was a wonderful set up, and all the funny mirrors down the halls would be lovely for ponies to look in and get a laugh. This was his last hooray, his grand finale and he pulled out all the stops. He wanted to make certain this party would be his namesake when he left this mortal coil. And he hoped to find one pony to leave a copy of his book too this afternoon, so that they could carry on for him, after he was gone. 

Archived