A Wolf in Draconequus' Clothing (Open)

Zeig

Eg30nq6.png?1

Tsuhebi was a bit of a mystery, in and of itself.

Because while a simple walk was still doable, the medium sized harbor town was famous for the canals that ran all throughout the village, remnants of the rivers that ran down from the mountains before emptying into the vast ocean. Though there were ample areas to set paw on earth to walk around, it wasn't an uncommon sight to see homes and businesses set right on the border of some water, complete with those wooden boats they used to traverse the canals. In fact, most of the ponies used said boats to get from one side of the village to another, and walking was considered a leisurely activity to do in one's spare time, rather than the accepted way of moving left to right.

Uncommon, but not wholly responsible for the anomaly that was the once small village. Perhaps the crown jewel of Tsuhebi, however, resided in its famed floating market, a spectacle that was, to his understanding, boasted near world wide. Where boardwalks and bridges did not boast vendors, boats and floating merchandise did, as did the boats that moved to and fro around the market, advertising their wares and sometimes stopping the trade with other vendors. Villagers and tourists alike made the floating market more alive than the myriad of different products, produce, and whatever else the ponies deigned to trade little gold bits over, and the number of lanterns that would light up as the sun descended would make the water across the entire village shine like so many gems in the darkest of caverns. Truly, the attraction had turned the once-small harbor town into one of the world's most visited areas.

Once, a beautifully cared for and magnificently grown willow tree had been the entirety of Tsuhebi's boast to the world. He remembered visiting it when the town was asleep, laying beneath the willow and feeling the earth around him.

Now, the willow was all but invisible, the very tips of it sticking up a ways in the distance as the buildings around it commanded more attention and girth. It may as well never have existed. 

Kamikakushi no Shinrin studied the tip of the willow tree from his spot just outside the floating market and next the water of a canal, paws crossed over one another as the bustle of a village just beginning to wake up surrounded him. Underneath the shade of a few smaller, recently grown willow trees, his form seemed to shift and snake, his innate magic ensuring that most eyes glanced over his resting spot without truly seeing. Only a pony that directly gazed at this spot with purpose would take notice of his form, but Kamikakushi no Shinrin highly doubted such a thing would happen. If there was one thing he had learned since integrating himself into the pony world, it was that ponies were always moving and going places, and rarely took the time to simply sit, and stare, and ponder. 

All the better for him. Taking a shifted form was easy enough to achieve, but grew tiresome to maintain. Even an Ōkami needed to rest every once in a while.

And to ponder.

The harbor town had a small port, similar to the great city of Polohama that lay close to the south. But being much smaller on the grand scale of things meant an easier time securing passage. As busy as Tsuhebi had been in the recent years, it would be less of a hassle for his disguise, well known and well photographed, to barter passage across the seas. Money would be no issue - those bits of gold he received from his modeling more than ensure that. It was, all in all, a very simple thing to plan out.

So why was he filled with such dread?

Perhaps the idea of being so very far from his home forest is what drove him to lay down his head, seemingly prepared to stall for yet another day. He'd traveled great distances all over Neighpon, this was true, and his power had never deviated downwards to an extent that had worried him...but would that change overseas? Would he board a ship, only to feel his disguise weaken the further they sailed away? He was an Ōkami, and Kamikakushi no Shinrin had full confidence in his abilities - but that didn't change the fact that he simply didn't know, and there was no use denying the fact that his power hailed strongest inside and nearby his home.

He wondered if this venture was worth the risk.

Finding answers...fulfilling the yearning that kept him coming back to cities and walking into studios and surrounding himself with ponies that praised his looks or skill in front of a camera...there had to be a payoff somewhere, through someone or something

He just needed to find it.

Familiar yet different.

This was one of the conclusions Squall had so far in regards of Neighpon so far.

The busy noblepony managed carve a week of free time to explore the oversea land. Swift was still limiting himself to Equestria so far with his businesses, true. But he also knew the he may be in need of reaching further in the future.As such doing a reconnaissance for foreign markets in advance become a very reasonable idea. That said, the way Squall decided to do his research seemed to bring some questions. Most of them from his assistant.

"Mr. Squall, if I may inquire..." Aqua Spice started. She and her boss were standing on one of many bridges of Tsuhebi .

"Yes?" Swift answered, taking his gaze from the floating market and turning it his assistant. Spice was a young glasses sporting mare with a petite build. But vow to those who underestimated her. Swordpony managed to already find out, that she was a no-nonsense and strick mare. That said he valued the fact that she managed to question his actions and ideas. Having a yes-pony would be the last thing he wanted.

"We doing this for a few days already, but it still eludes me Sir. What exactly we are supposed to gain from being...tourists?!"

Squall sighed. Aqua did wonders when it came to managing his schedule, but it was clear she had not a drop of experience when it came to business.

"To be successfully sell something you have to know the market. And it would be a great error to assume that markets of all countries are the same. Most economist forget that behind numbers and statistics are living being. Living beings that have their own culture and needs sprouting from this culture. To understand them is to know what to offer and what not." noblepony reasoned.

"I...see." Aqua muttered. "...But was it really necessary for you Sir to do this? Ponysonaly?" she said in deadpan tone, still not wholly convinced.

"I am the root of the TEMPEST Spice. If roots don't do their job right, the tree withers." Squall explained and the two resumed their exploration.

After a minutes of walking however Aqua spoke again.

"Mr. Squallcoast, is this the only reason why you came here? I still find it hard to believe..."

At her words Swift suddenly stopped. It was a quite pleasnt site, under the grove of young willow trees. Back in his head Squall briefly noticed that this was quite a romantic spot, and regretted that Fire wasn't with him right now. Tsuhebi was a scenic as it's Equestria counterpart, Roam.

".....No." he quietly answered. Unicorn walked next to a stone railing, and leaned on it before he spoke more.

"Don't get me wrong, the first reason I gave you is just as important. But...Well...it came to me after my latest 'visit in Whitescar." stallion started "It showed me my ignorance, laid it bare before me. And suddenly I understood that I may have studied the Whitescar and it's people, I never really tried to understand them. Information without the heart. Knowledge without wisdom. And I knew how incomplete I were because of it."

"Incomplete?" Spice inquired, her interest picked.

"Yes. I am a product of my homeland. We all are what our home makes of us. But now I realize it is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. Understanding others, the other races, the other nations, will help you become whole." Squall said, concluding his explanation.

This was a nice little town, and Nensho was glad he had come. Currently in his favorite pony disguise and wearing his full armor, he happily trotted down the street, taking in the sights. He had just finished a job, guarding a shipment of supplies as it came into the town, and was now free to do as he wished. 

The okami in disguise soon enough came upon an interesting sight, a sort of glamour trying to keep passing eyes off of the okami laying there. He smiled at the other male after spotting him, trotting up next to him and taking a seat. 

"Nice day, huh? What brings you out to this town?" He asked simply, following the other wolf's gaze to the top of the tree poking above the buildings. "That's a pretty tree, from what I can see of it."

6SMi1qDG.png

After the festival Discord was still in Neighpon for one reason or another, or was he? The way time and place flowed for him was a bit differently than how it worked for ponies. Or -- maybe it didn’t and he liked you to think that it did! However it was, or went, the spirit of chaos was driven to explore a country he -- had never seen. Perhaps in the past he had been to these places and had rhyme and reason to invest in their -- machinations. Sometimes the draconequus stuck his nose where it needn’t be and it created a rather vexing paradox that was unsolvable. For a lack of a better term Discord was often nothing short of a parasite. He nibbled away at pieces of society taking into himself their culture and musings, while removing from that place a sense of peace. While all good things in time faded, there was also the regard that all peaceful times turned aberrant. It had been rather enjoyable turning the setting of the island nation from serenity in a most chaotic natural event into one of untold hoo -- well you know.

There was a time where he had a greater sphere of influence across the globe, but a thousand year absence made those legends turn into little more than cautionary mare’s tale. No more was he a being to not be trifled with, or feared. He had been a household name in his hay days! But now -- the petulant pet of a princess barely at the peak of her provisional power. It caused him to shiver, almost disgusted by the degrading descriptor he had once found on the muzzle of a low-brow miscreant. Had he the patience of his youth he would have perhaps found profound meaning behind his words: the words of a fool bound for any which realm he so sought to tear asunder. But now --

Now was not before. Now he had to resolve not to tear apart reality at the drop of his temper and withstand the besmirchment of his good and honorable name. He was a hero after all. Assisting in Tirek’s downfall, eventually, had given rise to a more suitable tenure for one his age. He had spent countless cycles -- unparalleled. Perhaps it was time he was overcome if only to have a small vacation. Just a small one. In the end the foul-mouthed pony was turned into a chicken so his squabbling and squawking actually made sense. Oh he was scolded for a bit and given a lecture on the proper reaction to being called names. But it felt so much better than turning the other cheek.

Now he was playing tourist to a place abound with untapped magical energies. How long could their peace last? Shogun and Empress were no alicorn princesses. Even they struggled for quite some time with his more boisterous temper tantrums. Peace was only wanted when times of chaos grew stagnant. And in turn when times of peace became the pits he was there to liven things up! He decided to float about, be the little bird ponies always heard whispers from. A strange bird with wings of purple and blue, two talons off gold in coloration and with a tail of red with a patchwork body of brown and grey. He fluttered about only for a familiar, scathing tone to come to his birdie ear. Landing on the lip of a nearby roof the spirit would twitch and twitter as he glared his red eyes down toward the waterbound markets. Well if it wasn’t Squall. How -- expected. Only one pony could brag so loud.

Wisdom? Wisdom was something earned over time, not blasted through on a dirigible and tangled into. “Ha! I mean tweet.” Discord glanced around sheepishly before taking off once more.

The Discobird continued to fly around finding his surroundings serene and quite -- dull. How could anypony stand it? His tiny bid body gave a shake and puff when he felt it! A target! Swooping down the little birdie would land on a nearby tree and fold his wings back. One thing about Squall did impress him though: his ability to find adventure in the mundane. More ponies needed such a skill so he couldn’t fault the fellow. Pillow fighting ninjas was quite a turn over, but so was crashing a friend’s party with an airship. It was extra chaosy. Tilting his head he looked down to the two, true blue fellows. They weren’t exactly …. His beak parted as those beady little eyes squint. He looked away and grinned, that birdy beak full of not-so-birdy fangs.

“Leave it to dogs to be interested in trees. What I find mildly curious is why you three are sitting around when there’s so much fun to be had. I heard wolves love painting the town red -- or some other mildly ominous color.” So Squall wanted some wisdom -- keh? Maybe the pony needed to learn to not make his wishes so loud and obnoxious. “Have you ever heard of a trifecta?”

In a flash of smoke the branch, that had once been occupied by an oddly colored sparrow, now had snaked around it a most terrifying looking beast of amalgamated parts. He looked like a long, but everything about him was wrong! The antler of a qilin, twisted horn of a ram. His paw was that of a shi, but his other was a phoenix's claw. His back, right leg was that of a long whilst his back left was the hoof of a kirin! Everything about him was backwards, misplaced and imposed. But was it not mortals made in the images of gods? This one certainly had the parts to be the patron of many species!! His equine ears folded back as the beast of beasts presented his sharp fangs in a wily grin.

“I wonder who will win the race?” With a snap of his claws he would rip open a small portal, pulling from it somepony… but it seemed the pull was a bit off target and a nearby cart full of stinky melons, rather infamous for their inedibility to outsiders: lay beneath their landing point. The crash would hopefully cause enough of a ruckus to summon Squall’s nosiness.

jiHfFWH.jpg

Dealing with this protection business was something the head of the Hiretsuna thought she'd be done with by now: That at least she might not have to bother with this once she'd made it to the top. Seems though that even now there were some jobs even her best enforcers couldn't handle, it was days like this she missed Nensho. Coming down from the Penthouse apartment in one of the more pricey buildings in Polohama, Toboe came down to meet with the cause of all the fuss. Apparently a baker from the sticks had come in and had been planning on paying another clan to keep them 'safe' while in this neck of the woods. The ideas small time clans could plant in the heads of the foolish never ceased to amaze.

The owner of the establishment had called in some help while making the move here, this meant that his old ...'protectors' sent some muscle from their turf along with him. Dealing with the qilin they sent was interesting, breath magic was generally rather interesting, but thanks to some trickery and good honest muscle, Toboe came out on top and left the tough guy on his back gazing at the ceiling. Out of what she hoped was respect tinged with fear, the owner of the establishment agreed to pay the Hiretsuna. 

"A pleasure doing business with you." Her hoof shook the store-owner's, "I'm sure we'll become good friends, I promise to send more than a few of my stallions and mares to watch over your place for a while in case your old partners return." 

A job well done, she'd even had a little bit of fun with it. Although just as she'd rounded the corner she came face to face with... a portal? It was a window to some strange countryside and some confused mess of features on the other side. She was going to slowly back off but a-was that a lion's paw?! The appendage grabbed onto her arm and with only a second to try and fight off what was about to happen, Toboe jumps and held onto something with her teeth... and was promptly yanked into the hole of swirling dimensional mystery.

She emerged from the portal, pulled right out of it into the air in front of the tree. She looked around as she seemed to hover for a second, "Wh-" Then, immediately she fell straight downwards into a cart with a loud, and squishy sounding thud. "Ugh... What in the... w-where?" The city dweller tried to collect her thoughts but then something hit her like a ton of bricks. It wasn't a blow from some angry local though, no. It was an assault on the senses. A wretched smell that seemed to claw and tear at Toboe's nose badly enough she couldn't even breath without having a a fierce urge to vomit.A panicked series of motions  shook the cart of smashed melons, little gushes and splashes of juice flinging from it as the smellshocked occupant scrambled to get out of it and escape the stench. It was everywhere! It was on her fur! Ugh, some of the fluid even went up her nose!

The shock to the sense shook Toboe out of her pony form and soon the entire cart was thrown off of her and a good ways from the tree. The wooden farming implement flew high up in the air a good thirty feet in an arc before crashing down on a dirt road. Beside the tree there was a deep, and very angry sounding growl as a  furious wolf stood with her back bristled and teeth bared. Surrounding the large creature were various vibrant blue wisps of flame and magical energy, their color contrasted by the golden yellow in those anger ridden eyes of her.

Un6tXsa.jpg

"What is the meaning of this?!" Growled the fuming Yokai," Who is responsible for tearing me from my territory?!" Given her enraged state of mind though, her words to normal ponies might only sound as a series of barks and ravenous growls.With all juice from those melons clinging to her fur she could barely smell a thing now. To those with sharp eyes they might notice she was tearing up, likely from the stench she was dealing with. Her vision was slightly blurred after all of this so after her attempted show of strength she was left pawing repeatedly at her muzzle, futilely trying to remove the smell from her face. A couple hacking coughs later she managed to calm down enough to speak through gritted teeth, "Is... Is there a river nearby?"

Eg30nq6.png?1

...Was it another Yokai?

That was Kamikakushi no Shinrin's first thought, eternally glowing eyes widening a fraction as the pony sauntered straight up to him - and proceeded to sit right down, completely unperturbed by the Wolf Yokai he had spotted and identified with seemingly hardly a thought. The fact that he was Ōkami should have been enough to raise some questions, even if it was another Yokai...unless he was an Ōkami himself. Which would explain the completely casual way he initiated conversation and shared no surprise over his form or figure.

And perhaps a scant few decades or so ago, Kamikakushi no Shinrin would have been surprised himself to meet another Ōkami, those that were said to be far and few in between. But they had begun to appear more frequently, perhaps simply hiding away in their own forests like he himself had done for so many years. For another Ōkami to suddenly appear before him was not as surprising as it might have been.

...Which wasn't to say it wasn't surprising, no. Just that, in the vast number of years he had walked this earth, what truly surprised the Ōkami known as Kamikakushi no Shinrin grew far and fewer between. 

Now that the other was openly and visibly inviting others to stare at the pony, the glamor he had been using was all in vain, useless with the other's loud presence so nearby. Kamikakushi no Shinrin frowned, briefly, but the tension in his snout eased quickly, curiosity overtaking him in turn. He had not, after all, survived all these years by pouting like a little wolfing and bemoaning fate and fortune and whatever else resided in the forgotten corners of Neighpon. With a quick glance to ensure the two ponies enjoying the grove nearby were faced towards the water's edge, Kamikakushi no Shinrin focused his magic inward, not even bothering to remove his glowing yellow eyes from the other - and, quite suddenly, in his place sat an Earth Pony.

XkZpljy.png

Ōkami didn't...think he was in any danger of being recognized in Tsuhebi. The town, popular tourist attraction that it was, was still not very invested in the world of high fashion, modeling, and cinematography. And even if the random pony recognized his features, well - it wasn't so odd for a model to be visiting the popular trading spot. Any sort of excuse would be able to explain his presence here, and Ōkami thought nothing of it as he continued to lounge in the shade, golden eyes trained on his apparent companion. 

"Is it?" the Earth Pony questioned in Neighponese as his eyes trailed back towards the tree in question, though the words themselves came out rather flat. "Why is it so?" Whether he, too, found the tree aesthetically pleasing was irrelevant - he wanted to know why the other found it so. 

Such a silly thing to say.

...Though perhaps less silly than another Ōkami suddenly falling from the sky.

Not that she fell first off, now. First off was the sudden shift in magic that had the figurative hairs rising on the back of Ōkami's neck, a rippling of disharmony, as if magic warred with itself to create some semblance of a spell. The source became easily identified as a - a Yokai? It felt all wrong, as if the Yokai had been attempting to disguise itself as two, or three, or six different creatures all at once - slithered onto a nearby rooftop, hovering over the orange pony and his apparent assistant. The force of the magical energy had been more than enough to rocket Ōkami onto his hooves, back stiff and body poised on alert, but even he was ill-prepared for a portal that suddenly opened near the beast, depositing an Earth Pony into a cart of some sort of melon. 

And if said magical energy hadn't been enough to get him off his rump, the sudden smell of those decidedly ripe and recently burst melons certainly was. 

Ōkami discreetly covered his snout with the plaid scarf he wore, golden eyes narrowing as the Earth Pony released her disguise to reveal...yet another Ōkami. She must have been young and unskilled, if the shock of the teleport and subsequent fall into the foul smelling melons had been enough to get her to drop her disguise...or perhaps this proved the thoughts he'd had on his own powers? Perhaps she had been wrenched so far from her home that her powers had dissipated, much as he feared would happen to him should he wander overseas. 

The Wolf Yokai was growling for a source of water, but Ōkami remained where he was, not even to point out the water canal that was right next to them all, for his interests had quickly wandered back towards the strange creature that had pulled the other Ōkami to this point in space. Perhaps it was the cause of the sudden influx of Ōkami Yokai in the area? Had it pulled the Ōkami with the white and red disguise to Tsuhebi, as well? Doubtful, considering said Yokai's calm and general serenity. 

"...Well that was surprising," Ōkami commented unnecessarily as he sat back down in the grass, still comfortably settled under the willow trees with the armored pony. His eyes, however, trailed up the walls of the nearby building to rest on the strange amalgamation of a creature. "Do you make it habit of kidnapping random Yokai and carrying them away to harbor towns?" The words might have been seen as accusatory and disapproving by themselves, but no heat lay in Ōkami's voice, no reprimand. Because a powerful Yokai who spirited away travelers for his own personal gain and amusement?

Well...it sounded just a bit familiar.

"......Zest and Nectarine were right." Aqua mused after Squall's lecture.

"Oh? About what?" noblpony asked, suddenly curious about his bodyguards opinion.

"You really like to rant. A lot." his assistant didn't beat around the bush "Although I admit, it was somewhat deep."
"Yeah, I hear the former a lot lately. And I think rightly so to be honest" unicorn confessed. "But if you spoke with them about me, you know it's beats other things I tended to do"

"Well, yes. This is reassuring that you..."Spice didn't managed to finish, as she was distracted by flying fruit cart, followed by an angry growl.

<Beat.>

"....Uhhhh" Aqua sighed deeply in frustration and facehoofed "....You are going to check it out Sir, aren't you?" she asked, clearly expecting where this was going.

"....Yeeeah...." Squall admitted, sounding like a high schooler caught at something embarrassing.

"Fine, whatever. I absolutely will demand extra day off for this. I will wait in the airship Sir. Should I write to your fiancée about this?"

"Errr...I....Ahhhh..." swordpony stuttered, caught off-guard by Spice's sass. "Err, no. No, I don't think it's needed."

"Noted. But please Mr. Squallcoast, try to not make this international." she pleaded as she walked away.

"Ummmm..." Squall mumbled after a quickly receded mare.

When Aqua disappeared behind the corner, Squall turned around and made his way to where the flaying cart apparently came from. Although no noblepony was far less enthusiastic then usual when it to such thing.

"Why I can't have a slow week for once?" he grumbled under his breath.

After a few more steps a resigned voice (that switched to Neighponese) came to the quartet, as Swift walked from behind the building.

"Alright, what is it this ti....." he started but stopped at the scene in front of him.

A samurai, a stallion with goods good enough for a dozen of magazine covers, a wolf that was apparently taking a watermelon bath and the thing that looked like a Far East cousin of Squall's acquaintance, Discord.

<Beat>

"What. The. Heck?!"

Nensho glanced over as the wolf disguised themselves, not really recognizing the face due to not paying attention to that sort of thing. Instead, he gazed back at the tree, blinking a bit at the other male's question. 

"Well, why not? Better than just buildings. Maybe that's what makes it look better, the contrast." Nensho shrugged, keeping his eyes on the tree for a little bit before some magical force ripped open a portal and dropped some pony right onto a cart of melons. Nensho was on his hooves in an instant, glaring over at the mismatched creature for a few seconds before the voice of their new arrival caught his attention in full, along with her launching the cart to who knows where. 

His scarf rippled a bit as he approached, seeming to shift from around his neck to covering his face like a breath mask, without his horn even lighting up slightly.

"Toboe? What are you doing here?" He asked, only realizing how silly that was after the question was already asked. "There's some water right over there." The male led her to the water, trying to help her wash off. 

6SMi1qDG.png

Squall attracted trouble like Discord made it. He was always a step away from some sort of adventure, or misadventure. One could very well believe that the entrepreneur-adventurer was blessed by the chaotic spirit himself, if not for the fact that such things were often called curses. Always a hoof on the edge that one! Maybe Squall had been granted sovereignty by the chaotic spirit, warded from peace like a lover was guarded from loneliness. The systematic disposition of his serenity was assured, but it seemed something more apparent now that he had met the spirit once. The perception that all that went awry was possibly fault of a bored demi-god was a difficult one to wash away after a chance encounter with a strange old pony in the dark. It was certainly problematic having any relationship to the draconequus unless you know how to handle his rather dramatic and theatrical personality. Attention but satisfied his need to show off and conjure a great display for attention, admiration, and other vile emotions associated with irritation and jealousy.

All that aside the chaos that resulted in the surprise visit of a faceless yokai had certainly set fire to the loins of the citizenry! While one may be a common sight two, or even three, could fall into the realm of omens! With her drop onto the scene the spirit resituated himself on his wooden perch. He watched as Toboe would find herself smashed into a cart. It had not been on purpose, just fool's luck. The wolf came dangerously close to the edge of water as she shook, how, and kerfuffled about trying to gain a semblance of positioning. With melon and the foul twist of the garlic-and-sweat sock flavor unique to the fruit it was a grand surprise she managed to hold in her lunch! If not for the helping hoof of a ,nearby friend she could have perhaps ended a much less fluffy canine. While the canals were not fast flowing, by any means: a good bonk on the way down was a sure fire way not to make it back up. Boatswain and shoppers alike on the floating market found they were splattered by the foul melon, though a delicious delicacy to locals!

The waters around rippled against the stone channels as the portal’s disturbance and the wolf's panic. “Careful there pups, you don't want to start a howl now do you?” He grinned. “I have to say if ponies are lonely they tend to start by making friends with similar likes!” What was he now a counselor? The atrocious snake offered some forbidden fruit and it left a foul taste in muzzle. 

The magnanimous, egotistical spirit turned his mismatched gaze down to the well dressed wolf, Kamikakushi no Shinrin and pulled his best impression of a certain, enigmatic feline. His long, red tail, curled down around the body of the tree as his length lat perched across a thin branch that seemed disinclined to hold his precarious looking weight. He was naught but a mass of muscle after all, even if it was useless to the wizard. Whatever this creature was he was, without a doubt, no long. Were Squall to get a good look it stood to no question just who it was.

In all his noodly glory.

“Shame that,” Discord noted. “All these dogs and I've not a bone to throw at you.” Has he meant information or was he being literal just to be insulting? "Ponynapping? Me? Never." She wasn't a pony so semantics, semantics. Swiveling his ears forward. "No, no pup. I am here to grant your wishes~" The twisted sort of djinni who got a kick out of perverting the wishes of others. "Allow me to introduce myself. I am Discord. Prince of Chaos." He smugly regarded as he cocked his head and pressed his paw to his chest, managing to remain on the branch as if not weighing it down with his considerable girth.

4FqGrqP.jpg

While her nose may haven been overwhelmed, Toboe's ears worked perfectly fine. She knew that voice, "Nensho-san? What in the world is going on here?" The okami hacked and coughed from the horrid stench still clinging to her. Nensho was someone she knew she could trust, even if she couldn't clearly see him. A blur of blue lead her to a place where she could hear the sound of running water right before her. Large paws dipped into the stream to test the speed of this stream: It was safe enough.

Toboe submerged her head into the waters after filling her lungs with breath. A few Moments later she emerged with a great gasp and snorted harshly. She blinked her eyes clear of the waters and shook out her head, getting some of the water on her friend nearby before walking into the stream entirely and submerging herself. She dissapeared under the ornery waters for a few seconds before a large wolf seemed to climb up out of the stream a few feet down. This creature had the yokai's natural fur color, but none of the hitodama, markings, or the yellow eyes. Her fur was soaked, throughly waterlogged and dripping. The large canine shook herself out, leaving her coat simply moist instead of completely drenched. 

sXEWq4R.jpg

"This had better not have been some weird trap set up by that small time clan of hicks." She growled under her breath as she walked up the street, "I need to get back as soon as possible. This whole... place makes me feel." She couldn't place the words, instead only a shiver left her as scanned the horizon. Nothing familiar, lively colors of neon and any sort of the rainbow was replaced by mostly browns and an overabundance of green. She needed to be home, not in some rundown stretch of nowhere like this. Her heart of hearts just kept reminding her how this was -not- her territory and if the owner of this place was anything like her, the first thing he'd do is make sure invaders left. Then again whoever would live in this place surely couldn't be so impressive. All that matters now is getting back home. For now though, she had to figure out one thing so she could get on the fast track to reaching that goal. 

"Nensho-san. Do you know where we are? More importantly still, I was sure I heard someone mocking me after I was brought here...Where..." The wolf trailed off as her eyes fell on the creature in the tree. If she remembered where she'd fallen correctly... than. Teeth were getting bared and the wolf glanced around the town to see a fish vendor. There was a salmon that was on sale today. The wolf looked to Nensho, "Could you pay that vendor for me? I need to take care of something with it." The yokai took the fish, holding onto it with her teeth and charging swiftly towards the tree, hopping up on a nearby bench and leapt towards the chimera in the tree... and then roughly slapped the spirit in the face with it. 

Steadying herself on the branches of the tree she snorted at the beast, "You'll have to settle or a fish being swung at you." She said, injecting herself into the conversation it was having with the somehow familiar looking pony down below. "Are you going to send me back now or am I going to need to get something harder to hit you with?"

Spoiler

This discord smack was sponsored and approved by RexDraco LLC.

XkZpljy.png

Despite himself, Ōkami felt his lips tilt upwards in mirth, an amused look in his eye as the other male answered his query with a nonsensical one of his own.

"'Why not?'" he parroted back. "A thing exists, so it may as well be perceived as pretty?" That sort of logic made very little sense to him, the sort that ponies used to explain little nuances in life...although the samurai-looking stallion went on to provide a more reasonable explanation of the tree providing sharp contrast to the buildings around it. That at least was a more plausible explanation than, 'well, it's there, so why not think it's pretty?'

Mayhaps he was not a Yokai after all.

Whatever the case though, the maybe-maybe not Yokai had his attentions quickly snatched by the Wolk Yokai who had fallen from the sky, whom he seemed to know. Nensho, as was his apparent name, was quick to lead the other to a water source, allowing Ōkami to refocus back on the amalgamation of a beast entwined in the tree above as he - it? - introduced himself. That was more than enough to wrest Ōkami's full attention, completely forgetting the other Yokais and stallions in the area as his golden eyes intently studied the beast above.

Discord, chaos...wasn't this the creature that some legends said were responsible for the creation of all Yokai?

Said creature was the very reason he'd been even contemplating a possible disastrous adventure across the seas, intent on tracking him down and getting answers...he was said to inhabit the lands of Equestria most frequently, after all. Find out if the rumors and legends were true...but staring at the creature now, Ōkami was beginning to realize how fruitless a venture would have been. This Discord was chaos, and if Yokai everywhere were the result of some magic gone wrong - or right - then...well, it didn't seem likely the creature would just admit that. After only a few minutes, it was obvious that Discord delighted in...well, chaos, and was that really so surprising?

He supposed not.

Still, Ōkami couldn't help letting his eyes linger on the beast, taking in the form that he'd briefly wondered was a Yokai shape shift gone horribly wrong. "I never said anything about ponynapping," he stated mildly, glancing over at two by the water. Which was true - he'd specifically questioned Discord's affinity for kidnapping Yokai, not ponies. After all, if the female had had any intent on hiding what she was, she'd ruined it the moment she'd dropped her disguise. 

Said female in question chose that moment to ascend the tree Discord was perched on, engaging in some heated discussion and...and slapping him with a fish. Ōkami was mildly perturbed at the weapon in question - why a fish? - but he tore his eyes away to look at the other stallion that had unexpectedly wandered up to their little gathering. He was the only one that seemed suitably surprised by the sight before him, lending Ōkami to believe he was an actual pony and not yet another Wolf Yokai in disguise. 

"I know, right?" Ōkami called out, adopting a more modernized and casual lilt to his voice - the kind that didn't quite fit in with the traditional settings around them but was more than commonplace in a bustling metropolis like Polohama. "And here I was just enjoying a nice, peaceful trip to Tsuhebi. I was told to expect anything and everything at the floating market, but seriously. This is a little extreme."

"I'm not entirely sure what's happening, Toboe. You fell out of some kind of portal." He said, giving a small yelp as he was splashed with water. Nensho looked around as she submerged herself in the water, finally spotting the new pony on the scene. When had that unicorn arrived? No matter, Toboe was coming back out of the water in her normal wolf form and was speaking again. Honestly, he thought her true form looked better, though that may just be his instincts talking. 

"We're in Tsuhebi, a port town." He replied to her question, blinking a bit as she asked him to buy her a fish. "Well... sure, boss." He said, shrugging as he went to go pay for the fish. Once he paid, he turned back around just in time to see her slap the noodly creature across the face with it. He was stunned into silence for a few seconds before bursting out into laughter, making his way back over to the group and floating a loose piece of wood over to the tree to emphasize Toboe's threat. 

"I'd suggest doing as she says, you don't want to be on her bad side." The disguised wolf chuckled a bit more. "Being on her bad side means you're on my bad side."

"Regrettably I have misfortune of having a special name for days like this - Thursday" Squall mused on bishounen stallion comment.

Of course Swift's confusion didn't lasted long. As it tuns out, his thoughts about Discord weren't unfounded - because the strange 'hybrid' was non other then draconequus himself.

"Oh for the love of..." Swift grumbled upon this realization. Knowing that quarreling with Discord was pretty much pointless he turned his focus on him. One of the things that Discord always welcomed was attention. Always seeking, always desiring it. Acknowledging his presence was a good first step on getting his good graces. Unless he got one of his 'ideas' of course.

"Hello Gramps. Nice to see you too." noblepony said in Equstrian. Surprisingly, this wasn't a lie at all. While Discord was....well, random and his sense of humor sometimes escaped Swift - the encounters with him were nothing but educational for swordstallion.

Of course it wasn't an only reason. Squall would never admit it aloud, but there was one thing that himself and draconequus had in common. Both of them had intense loathing of boredom. That said, the ways they alleviated it were different.

"What's with that new looks? No, you know what - don't answer that. I will play along, just give me a minute to digest all of this." Swift paused to ponder.

"By the way, I got quite  a number of the local treats on the ship. Would be nice if we could wrap this up before sunset, so you can drop for dinner." unicorn made a cordial invitation. After a short paused "The scheduled one that is. And it would be nice if you bring coffee." he added. Knowing Discord he could drag the sun down just for kicks. One had to be careful of his wording when conversing with the chaotic spirit.

Noblepony eyes widened for a second after Discord was slapped with a fish. ".....Well, that's a first." Swift said, completely deadpan. If this she-wolf though she could force Discord to do something, then she will be met with gross disappointment. Squall sighed and turned his gaze back to the long-maned stallion, addressing him once more in Neightpon native language.

"Watch and learn." swordstalion started. "Either he appreciated the humor of the situation or....well if he does not, their biggest hope would be for him to aim for humiliation." he explained. Peeving someone who could turn reality inside out was a poor choice of action.

"And yes, I know it's rude to talk about You as if you weren't here! Just let me have it, alright?" unicorn shouted at Discord. Whatever draconequus would do now, the best choice was to roll with it.

discord_banner_full_smol_by_rex_draco-db

He looked to Ōkami, as he called himself, and pricked his ears up, grinning with that trademark smile. Fangs sat on display within that equine jaw, creating a tangibly horrifying combination. It was like a kelpie dragging itself on land and taking shape as it slithered from the black depths of the bog. Discord was the sort to leave that sort of impression. It wasn't just his looks that belayed a sense of madness, but the non-conforming ideas that spilled from.his lips when he dictated the superficial attitudes towards law was no more significant than were one to outright ignore them. Extremism was the very nature of chaos.

He regarded the disguised yokai as they refuted the  spirit's claim. “Oh, you didn't? Well that’s bad.” He tucked his paw beneath his chin as he spoke. Very sure of himself this creature. Was this a chance meeting or had he heard the bewildered cries of a yōkai in need? “Peaceful days are predictable and utterly boring. Why would you want that when you can have an extraordinary day?” He cooed in a tempting fashion.

Oh the spirit was in stitches! To think it was so easy to send fur flying! And he hadn't even pulled his best work yet! It was quite easy to rile up Equestria’s Neighponese neighbor into frantic whinnies, or in this case: barking. The concept was much more fetching when the canine breeds were involved as it gave it a unique sense of accomplishment that one couldn't shake a stick at. Despite the racket may of the canal riding Kirin we're not greatly perturbed by the raucous encounters. It was perhaps not the strangest thing Tsuhebi has encountered. Port towns had the luck of attracting a variety of individuals from all walks of life. Today they so happened to attract the presence of a supreme being -- all because someone made a quiet wish just looking to be tested. And who better to test the fortitude and will of pony and qilin alike but the resident, chimeric god of chaos?

Arching a brow the other male purchased for her a fish. What going on a fish fry after being dumped into a canal? It seems the canine was two bones short of a barbeque. He chuckled and listened how the other explained of her as to the location they were now at. She must have been pulled from quite far away from her original locale! How fantastically amusing. He shouldn’t anger her? Oh please! He turned his head to Squall as he huffed.

“Gramps? I'm still in my prime!” He assured the adventurer. “I was trying out the local species.” He chuckled as he since returned to his true form from that of the sparrow. He brushed away a few of the remaining feathers, plucking them from his chest with his claw. “I'll have you know I've put no such price on your time Squall. You should feel humbled by my presence. Why if not for me your sleepover would have been horrendously trite.” He cocked his head and let his paw stroke down through his beard. “I am the god of chaos after all.” A smug serpent.

A being of change.

A being who disrupts absolutes and certainty.

The unsurpassed emperor of antics and the prince of--

K E R S P L O O T

The Prince of Fish?

Before Discord was able to to physically, or magically, react to what was happening he turned his head from Squall’s sassing only for the spirit found his face plundered by the scaly hide of a water bound critter which had suddenly become airborne -- upside his head. With a garble, gobble and gook the spirit went tumbling out of the tree onto the ground below. There was a honk, crunch and fluttering of debris and butterfly before the spirit came to a sudden stop on the ground below. Spinning eyes and a backward sense of gravity (not that it was all really forwards to begin with…) he floated up, rump first and began to wipe the fish goo from his fur-covered face, bits of silvery scales marking the side of his head from the brutal attack.

“Well of all the barbaric -- and wasting food no less.” He chided before manifesting a napkin in paw and wiping his cheek. “And here I was enjoying a family reunion.” He toted. “Starting the customary food fight a bit early.” He paused and pulled some frozen fishsticks from his ear. “And a bit too raw.” He would toss them aside and remain a friendly distance from the wolves in draconequus’ clothing!

Or pony.

“See what you encourage?” He looked to Squall accusingly, even if it was the fault of the wolves and, on some minor level, himself.

But he'd never admit to that….

sXEWq4R.jpg

"A... family reunion? What? you mean Nensho-san and I?" The wold in the tree tilted her head as she let the fish fall to the branch beneath her and limply drape over its length, "I don't know who else you're talking about. Actually, Who in Neighpon are you supposed to be?" The mention of family was very confusing, the only known family she had was the one who adopted her back in Polohama. Supposedly she had real parents out there in the wide world, but she had no idea how she would even find them and if they were even around they apparently didn't wish to scent her out. If there was anyone else she could consider family it certainly couldn't be that orange coated foreigner over with th-- wait? Was that Okami? The actual model Okami? She'd seen his face on a few billboards back home. He was admittedly handsome but she knew next to nothing about him beyond that and his odd choice in moniker.

Now that she thought about it, she'd have to wonder if he'd seen what she looked like before she reverted to her true form. Seeing as she was sure noone knew who she was out here, the reason she'd decided to stick to a wolf form was she didn't want word to get out from any rival gangs that her more commonly known face was out in the open and away from her territory. If some random Yokai popped up in the boonies than it surely couldn't cause that much of a stir, less so if she stuck to this more subdued look. Fr now, Toboe could only hope that a glimpse at her pony form as she fell wouldn't be enough that he could recognize her again if he was ever in her neck of the woods.

With a nimble leap, Toboe rturned to the ground. Her eyes were still dead set on discord as she moved in closer to the model and the foreigner, They'd already seen her slap a god in the face with a fish and yelling: Further conversation couldn't hurt. "So..." She looked to the two equine, "Are both of apparently long lost relatives of mine as this fake long is saying, or just some random passersby? Either way, Do you have any idea why -it- wanted to drag me away from my home?"

XkZpljy.png

Well, he supposed that settled that. 

Nensho's obvious association with the female Wolf Yokai lent credibility to the idea that he, himself, was also a Yokai - combined with everything he'd deduced so far, most likely an Ōkami to boot. How three Ōkami had ended up gravitating to the same town on the same day was a mystery in and of itself...or perhaps a direct result of chaos. 

Either or, those two were off conversing with the amalgamate otherwise known as Discord - who was, unsurprisingly, very much in favor of a day filled with unpredictability rather than peace and quiet - leaving Ōkami with the stallion that had had the misfortune to stumble into this entire mess. Or, if Discord were to be believed, the rather good fortune. Either way, Ōkami returned his attention to said stallion. He supposed that he should probably be acting a bit more surprised and put out at the sudden commotion of wolves running up trees and spirits of chaos pulling fish sticks from their ears, like any sane pony would be.

...Although perhaps not. This was all, apparently, a typical Thursday morning for the average Equestrian citizen. 

Still, the Earth Pony obligingly "watched and learned", looking not the least bit troubled by the activities going-on around him. As if he were simply observing the fall of cherry blossoms in the spring. He didn't come away particularly enlightened by the stallion's efforts to shout down Discord, however, and Ōkami merely raised an eyebrow as the creature only responded with some mild sniping. Neither insulted nor put out by the stallion's efforts, it seemed - although whether that resulted from the foreigner Squall lack of causing offense, or simply because the two seemed to know each other on some level, was entirely up for discussion.

This learning exercise was going splendidly

Which is when the female made her way back to the ground. She'd dropped her true form for a more subdued disguise, looking no different than a wild wolf - although running up trees dispelled that imagine quickly enough. He wondered why she even bothered. Still, Ōkami didn't react as she moved over towards the two of them, unsurprisingly confused as to what she was doing here in the first place. "The latter," the model responded bemusedly, and added a small flick of his head towards Discord, "and you're probably better off asking him that." After all, she hadn't actually asked him for a reason, simply slapped him with a fish and demanded to be sent home. Information was best gathered at the source, after all.

The thought caused his gaze to slide back towards the white Unicorn in his armor set, who'd thought to threaten the creature with some floating debris. At this point, he wondered why Nensho bothered with a disguise, seeing as how his easy acquiescence to the day's events and his - familial? - association with the female maintained themselves as evidence. Ōkami wondered, briefly, if he might forcibly overturn a Yokai's disguise and force them back into their true form. He'd never tried it before...he was powerful, and he was very close to his forest. It would have been fairly amusing to see Nensho suddenly flailing about in his wolf, or whatever Yokai, form.

That should be something to look into, for the future. 

For now, however, Ōkami's attention was once again directed to the foreigner named Squall, the amusement that had been on his face sharpening into something more refined. Squall was obviously well-versed and well-traveled, fluent Equestrian and Neighponese evidence of both.

His original purpose in journeying to Tsuhebi had been thrown into a bottomless lake...but opportunity had yet to disappear from his paws.

Nensho looked around at the scene as things went in a very different direction than what he had expected. This Discord seemed entirely unperturbed by the hit, and now Toboe was distracted by the stallion that had originally been here, who was apparently named Ōkami. What kind of name was that? Either he was broadcasting his true nature, hiding in plain sight as it were, or his name was just a very strange coincidence. Given the magic he had been pretty sure was in play when he first arrived, he was leaning towards the first option. 

"A bodyguard, a wolf, a tourist, a famous model, and a god of chaos... sounds like the start of some kind of joke." Nensho said, blinking a bit as he dropped the wood and turned towards the others. "So... what now?" He added, glancing over at Toboe. 

"Yes, you are. Doesn't change the fact that you're older then print. But anyway, if you really still have what it takes, then I should expect you at Equestria Games when exactly?" Squall replied, keeping up with the witty banter. The next phrase of the spirit made him pause for a moment however. "......That would sound really weird and/or dark if taken out of context." Swift said. Noblepony couldn't help but roll his eyes when Draconequus reply inevitably degenerated into gloating. "Well probably. That and MANY other things as well I believe." noblepony said when Discord mentioned the past 'sleepover' (that ultimately had very little sleep in it). "Oh and see, there is a problem with that 'humbled' part." Squall kept going, talking faster and faster as well as starting to gesticulate wildly with hooves of his. "When you are friends with someone, you can't be really in awe with them regardless of power. It simply doesn't work anymo......" Swift froze mid-gesture, realizing what he just said. "Errrmmm......I...."

Thankfully Discord being treated with salmon-slap was just the thing that Squall needed to saved from further awkwardness.

"You know.....I...I think I let that one pass." swordpony mumbled as spirit cleaned himself.

But his attention was next second drawn to the slapper herself. She apparently still failed to grasp in what kind of situation she was.

"Miss, please stop pretending you are normal." Squall answered to the Toboe. "I don't know from what place or eerie dimension Discord pulled you out, but I can tell you one thing. I've traveled through five continents and so I know that. Common. Wolves. Don't. Talk!" businesses-stallion said with emphasis. "To be honest, I am still not sure if I shouldn't go fetch the nearest shire maiden and get her to exorcise you on the spot." he admitted second later. "Oh and please stop referring to Him as if He was an item." Swift said while pointing at Discord. "Seeing that He can make laws of physics and space-time continuum cry uncle, this can be very hazardous for your health and/or sanity."he warned her before snapping to 'samurai'. "Yes, and I trying to avoid the punchline! I have enough things to do, without worrying how to turn you to normal from being pot plants!" Swift growled. Discord's attempt to shift the blame wasn't really helping with his mood either. In fact, it was about time to give draconequus a piece of his mind.

"Oh, of course! 'It's never my fault.' approach Isn't it?" unicorn said with a snort while his tail swished in annoyance. Noblepony walked right next to spirit and pulled his slightly lower, just so they could see eye to eye.

"This. THIS is the kind of attitude that always ends up biting you in the rump! And last time it did, Ponyville outskirts ended up looking like they were hit by dozens of meteorite showers! I know you have reasons, huge ones in fact, but by now you should know better then to allow your ego get better of you! That, and the fact that approaching the things and others the same way every freaking time is NOT chaotic at all!" Swift said, after which he took a several deep breaths after venting his frustrations. "You know....actually I think I figured out why you get bored so fast all the time...." he mused while still panting after his tirade.

• 2 weeks later...

discord_banner_full_smol_by_rex_draco-dbbfadx.png

Discord wasn't really hip to all the fashionable fillies these days. Fish flinging seemed to be some sort of new sport that he failed to learn about or she was simply a violent boggart that needed a new set of manners. If ponies went around fishing Discord they'd end up with far more than just the catch of the day. That much was to be certain. This act couldn't go unpunished. He would have to ponder his next actions. When the beast escaped the perch, now at level with the spirit, he moved to look over her with his paw and claw digits wiggling as he plotted his retribution. His head snapped back with her harsh words.

“Fake?? I'll have you know you rotten pillow stuffer: I've been around before the Long existed!” Which was veritable blasphemy in Neighponese territory, but that put to question: just how old was Discord?

It did stand to question, and one he dutifully avoided. Somf Sure he was as old as the Equestrian princesses. That much was known, but did he exist before? In regards to history the first time Discord is recorded properly was during his reign. Nary a mention prior, despite his repeated altercations with the princesses regarding their rule. Or was it ever about that? There seemed more questions about his presence than there were answered. Was there truly anything beyond god of chaos[? Or was he truly just a being of chaos, as Fluttershy often put it, and had his nature. The nature of Discord… well it was deductive reasoning when it came to the spirit and was the path least likely to get you from point A to point B. Sometimes it was best to simply not think on such matters for the sake of one's sanity.

The chaos god crossed his forelimbs over his feathery chest and arched a brow as Squall began one of his typical rants. While he had a point that angering gods was a terrible idea, a downright blasphemous one: it was only a fish. And, maybe, he somewhat deserved the assault, but the peculiarity of the weapon had taken him by surprise that he simply allowed the action to slide by with a joke to play off his embarrassment. The spirit listened as the entrepreneur lectured the ma-- canid of her ill decision making.While he was such a heel sometimes and relentlessly obnoxious: he did not quite deserve assault with a loaded haddock, or was it a herring? He motioned a digit to Squall, jaws parting as he canted his head.

“Wolves don’t talk? Are you sure? Ponies don’t usually go around talking to wolves, on account of being eaten by them.” He pulled the paw back to stroke his beard in a sagely manner. “And I would not turn them into potted plants. You’re so unoriginal Squall.” he complained.

He had better taste than to just magic a pony into a plant. It was unimaginative. If you were going to alter a pony’s very being you had to be clever with it. Something they feared, hated, or loved a bit too much. It made the impact all the more striking. He puffed up when the noblepony talked back, acting as if Discord did wrong. He was reformed! And he was sticking to it. He was aghast by the accusations the overactive pony presented. His ears folded back, not liking where the line of hoof waggling went. He lowered to the ground and let his hind hoof and talon touch to the grass. His tail pressed against the blades before he shook his head and loosing the last few fishsticks.

“Well you needn't be so crass about it. It was only a joke. You ponies… and dogs, are so sensitive.” He muttered before arching a brow. He pointed his claw at Squall. “Did you just call me your friend? You did!” For shaaaaaaame!

He was suddenly up close and personal with Nensho. When he had moved from his position by the tree was unknown. Naught was left behind but a piled tower of fishsticks in the customary crosshatching of Jenga. “Actually that is a joke I told at a party in Stalliongrad once. The punchline involved a fish.” He floated with his hind legs curled up against him as he pressed his claw’s digits to his chin in thought. “Or was it some sort of amphibian? Well regardless the joke represents -- well, better: how about I tell it? So a bodyguard, a tourist and a fashion model walk into a bar. The bartender was a wolf, seemingly cutthroat in the way they did business, likely finding it difficult to serve rowdy customers. Now they each ask for a drink suitable to their tastes. Now one would think the model would prefer fancier drinks and the bodyguards something strong to keep his mind in the job, and the tourist something different to celebrate the strange, new land. Well as it was the Bartender only kept specific drinks in stock. Stranger yet they only served one type of fried fish on a stick, which came free with their orders.” Discord seemed to be going on and on, as he often did.

“Now the model ordered a fresh ginger tea, but declined the fishstick on account that he was a pony. The tourist also declined because his outrageous lifestyle pushed him away from the simpler streets foods that he could easily get at hom. As for the bodyguard they politely accepted, but did not eat as mixing food and drink often undid their stomach.” He waved his paw to dismiss any complaints about his curious at the accuracy of some of his statements or the sheer absurdity of them. “Now they leave. Not one has eaten the fish stick on a stick.” He moved to land on the ground and put his paw to his chest. “A sigh left the wolf for they could not get anypony to partake in the treat which had given them everything they wanted. For you see the fishsticks were magical and granted wishes, but they also carried a curse: you could not tell others what they did. Wanting to share in their wealth the wolf had tried, but everypony carried excuse why they couldn’t -- in the face of the opportunity to try something new…”

That was very odd, though Discord did not seem to present things in a straightforward manner. That would be too easy. There wasn’t a game if everything was passed out on a silver platter! It wasn’t boredom, but instead the unnaturally predictability of life. Having a bit of spice added to every meal, especially chocolate: only made it better! The spirit hovered up a reach off the ground. His grin pulled back to expose those predatory fangs. He had a jolly good game in mind. So what did his story mean?

“I am here to grant a wish. But I can only grant a very specific wish, and I cannot tell you what it is, but if you can all figure it out -- figure out why you all have gathered in this specific place…”

• 2 weeks later...

sXEWq4R.jpg

Toboe would snort as she looked to Discord back from Kakushi, "Him? I've known someone with an attitude like his since I was small and I doubt he knows how to help anyone honestly without getting something back in return." Had she already gotten so sour out in the sticks that she was willing to badmouth a friend behind his back. She really needed to get out of here sooner rather than later. This Kakushi seemed like the quiet type of person: someone who prefered to keep to themselves or the company they knew best. Now that she was closer to him though, Toboe would cant her head curiously. His scent was so oddly familiar, like she'd encountered in a far off and forgotten memory. 

No point in dwelling on it though, "Sorry to disturb you on... I guess this is a vacation for you?"

Nensho's question only got a pause from his friend. She honestly wasn't sure what they could do, This thing they were dealing with seemed unaffected by any type of threat, and the way that foreigner was yammering on it sounded like any attempts would be a waste on their part. The wolf heaved a sigh and looked to Nensho, "Do you have a map on you? At this rate it seems my best bet is to walk home."

the foreigner seemed oddly frantic in his response, "If I actually cared about appearing normal I think I wouldn't be jumping in trees or slapping gods with fish or talking. If I wished to look normal I'd just bark and yap at you. For all you know I could just be making you hear a voice while these yokels from the outskirts hear me just whining at you." The wolf sat down at chuckled a bit at his suggest of an exorcism, "To be honest, if that might send me back where I came from I say go fetch. I have family back home I need to tend to and I can't waste my time playing games with some... time-space bending monster from whatever cheap manga he walked out of." 

As soon as she saw Discord getting so close to Nensho, Toboe felt a sudden.... somehow territorial urge flare up in her. Immediately teeth were bared at the draconequus as it got all cozy with her friend of many years. She knew in her heart of hearts that Nensho was more than capable of caring for himself but being this far away from her territory somehow made her feel less and less composed. Soon enough Discord's overly long joke or story, or whatever he was talking about left her  eyes glazed and with an disgruntled look plastered over her features before she looked over to Squall,"Is he always this... long winded and mentally exhausting?"

XkZpljy.png

...Was he implying what he seemed to be implying?

Ludicrous. 

Ōkami waved a dismissive hoof, negating the female's apologies as he continued listening to the conversation around him - for that was his strength, was it not? Gathering intelligence. The foreigner had gone on a long-winded rant that had seemed to caution the rest of them against the spirit of chaos...which seemed contradictory to the passive aggressive manner said foreigner was showing said spirit. That, in turn, had been followed by an equally long rant by the spirit of chaos in the form of some sort of story...but not quite.

More the manner of...a parable. 

Was Discord actually implying that the four of them - two Ōkami, one possible Ōkami, and a foreigner - had all ended up in this particular location not out of happenstance, but by design? The female had been dragged here against her will, but otherwise, Discord seemed to be hinting that some sort of foul...or chaotic magic had drawn the rest of them here, for some purpose or another. That they were all here to be granted fish sticks...wishes, courtesy of the chaotic amalgamation of creatures, and they had been led here, with purpose and intent. 

Toyed with. 

Wishes? He had no need of wishes. To be led and directed to a specific time and space...whether or not the intent boded ill or genuinely beneficial had no bearing. 

He was Ōkami Yokai. He was no plaything.

The snarl that escaped him resonated like the snapping maw of a feral wolf, trailing off into a deep, rumbling growl that he knew played at odds with his current appearance. It was moot point, however, because he longer had the same intentions he'd had when he'd first arrived in this bustling center of trade and commerce...and he was nothing - despite the centuries that had passed him by - if not adaptable. "Keep them," the pony said, and his lips remained unmoving sans the steady growl emitting from them, the much deeper voice seeming to resonate on the air itself, "for those that wish for wishes." The long strands of his mane and tail began to swirl upwards in gentle waves, as if a breeze catered specifically and solely to him, and his eyes took on an unearthly golden glow as he gazed straight into the face of the foreigner. "And let us end this game." 

Before it could begin.

Eg30nq6.png?1

There was no brilliant flash of light, no enormous flare of magic that blew the willow trees outward. Save the breeze that toyed with his fur and the long arms of the willows, there was hardly anything. No cry for attention, or advertisement of something magical and mysterious happening, no - he was no longer such a youth that reveled in mystical and ethereal reveals. There was a time and place.

This was not one of them.

The wave of illusion magic that had gone up around him, however, did take place, effectively cloaking the small area and revealing nothing of his true form to the wandering eye. Even those inside the magical radius might only see glimmers and refractions of light where he stood, depending on their own power and perception - he'd instinctively hidden only himself, after all, not everything in the immediate area. Still, they were no longer a concern of his, had ceased to be when he'd halted whatever game the amalgamation had seemed insistent on playing.

Let him play with the other Yokai that were so inclined to be toyed with. He was Kamikakushi no Shinrin, and he would not be denied. 

Barely a rustle of wind signaled the speed at which Kamikakushi no Shinrin leapt around the foreigner, landing on the narrow ledge that bordered the water canal. His glowing yellow eyes, however, remained fixed and sighted upon his target, lips curling upwards as his teeth lay bare, glinting and sparkling in the sun.

• 1 month later...

"Yes, I am sure. Normal, run-of-a-mill wolves don't talk! And besides you one to talk! Around you I am sure even wardrobe would pour stories about it's midlife crisis and kitchen table would gossip how indecorous it's owner were on it." Swift snapped at draconequus. Noblepony started to suspect that Discord real power was not chaos, but an ability to not shut him up. He always had to add his two bits, didn't he? Well in that regard Swift and spirit weren't so different, but at least unicorn wasn't known for turning gravity off for giggles.

"Not helping your case Gramps." Swift mumbled before yawning when Discord dismissed possibility of pot plant transformation. Gosh, he really should stop staying up late.

"Don't bother." businesspony spoke upon hearing Toboe's question about the map. "If he doesn't want you to leave, you won't. You may very well try to fight against sky itself or passage of time. He's a force of nature given ego." Squall explained.

"Look, it's not your jokes that are the problem Discord, at least as long as you make sure you are able to clean after yourself before making a mess." Swift assured while rising his hoof to rub the sleepiness away from his eyes. Unicorn couldn't help but sigh at spirit's attempt at justifying himself. "I know it sounds like 'No, you!' kind of argument - straight out of kindergarten in fact - but it's other way around Gramps. For all your growth you still far from an empath." Squall said. ".....Well I believe you will get that eventually. You hang out with Miss 'Shy a lot after all."

Squall stared at Toboe for a second after hearing canine's rebuttal. "Hmph. Fair enough." he said in agreement, the points that she made were indeed sound.

"Don't be so sure about lack of time. For him, it's just another plaything. Who knows? Maybe he returned you back the very moment you disappeared." Squall mused before making another, bigger, yawn. Note to self. Must. Have. Caffeine.

Squall could only snort when Discord gave him a pointy claw. "Hmph! And what else I supposed to call you? It's not like I have any choice by now." unicorn begrudgingly admitted.

Noblepony gave a deep sigh upon hearing Toboe question before answering "Yes...." he confirmed in a resigned tone "Mind you, he has moments when he can be charming and helpful is his own....specific way. The thing is, he's eons old, and as such bored often. And so it happens that his preferred way of alleviating this boredom is getting a rise out of someone. Like right now for example. He really could use some other hobby."

Swift only shook his head when Discord spun his tale.

"So you calling me hedonist? How shallow. You know nothing about days behind me. You judgment on me is superficial, based on glimpses and fragments you managed to witness. Not to mention hypocritical, coming from a spirit who constantly pursues to fulfill his caprices and desires. It's little disappointing really. I hoped for more insight from being of chaos."  noblepony offered quick and brutal rebuttal for Draconequus fable before suppressing another yawn. His eyes felt very sticky.

"Offer your wishes in Saddle Arabia Discord. There are more open to the concept there." Squall advised. "As for me, things I desire want would be deemed worthless if given." he added.

"This is something you have to understand, you who experienced no mortal needs. Some things only have value because of the effort put in getting or achieving them." Swift explained.

Before unicorn could add anymore, he caught a stare of the other stallion, one that seconds later turned golden.\

Before Ōkami disappeared. Well that was unexpected.

Swift didn't move. He was in situations similar to this one way too many times to be intimidated. Through he couldn't see, his instinct sharpened through years of facing mortal danger, allowed him to feel the presence around him.

As unicorn shot calm glances left and right to assess the situation he spoke in sardonic voice.

"So...what happened with 'a nice, peaceful trip'?" Squall asked, while his muscles stiffened. It was just like in the Unyasi, years ago. One slip out from either party will decide the outcome.

He really didn't had much to work with. Only the feeling of air currents raised by the speeding yoikai, and twinkle of reflected sunlight.

It was enough.

Squall didn't know or even pondered what Kamikakushi no Shinrin could be thinking by now. But he probably wasn't expecting to be grippedt as he moved between the pony and the waterway. First by magic then by a hoof. Most ponies wouldn't had reflexes good enough for that. But most ponies weren't nicknamed 'Flash' by Equestria most hardened sellswords.

"Slow" Swift whispered as he stared down the golden pair eyes, his weapon already unsheathed and ready to run the Kamikakush through.

But suddenly, as if by the touch noblepony could feel the wave of weakness spreading through him. As if weariness of few weeks were thrown on his shoulders in and instant.

His limbs felt, and so against himself, Squall let go of the grip he had on the wolf's fur, allowing 'Ōkami' to slip away. Meanwhile his blade clinked against the pavement, with no magic to hold it in air anymore.

"Sorcery..." Swift managed to think as his eyes started to close unwittingly. With a few shaky, uncontrollable steps he moved forward, and felt over the ledge separating him from the canal.

Before he even hit the water, Squall consciousness already passed the gates of deep, cold slumber.

• 2 weeks later...

discord_banner_full_smol_by_rex_draco-dbbfadx.png

Discord snorted at Squall. “Oh please you're glad I made that table talk. It wasn't edn worth half of what you were going to pay for it!” He spat back, leaning to sit mid air with his forelimbs crossed over his chest and hind, left knee over his right. Who was he to declare such a delegation useless?!

Though Squall did have some annoyingly valid points. He did, at times, lack a sufficient understanding of ponies, and their Equuian comrades, to hold a full and productive meeting due to his lack of empathy. Well if one were to truly delve into the mentality that was Discord's: it was not so much that he lacked empathy, but more so he had no idea what to do with it! His riddle didn't seem to hold back Squall, as expected of the purple prosed pony. There was one thing, in all his incessant babble, that Squall had wrong… his parable was no mere narrow insight in his deepest existence. Everything he presented was what lay on the surface for all to see. While,deep down, they were brave, loyal, duty-bound, and altruistic what they presented to outsiders was far from what they held protectively to their hearts.

When the self-titled Ōkami had reached his limit so had the breathd the last iota of patience he cared to practice. His lips curled back, eyes pinching up as his face upturned to what natives would call koukatsu… he was sly like a fox and that grin was one that should not be trusted to speak the truth. Squall had seemed to lose his consciousness. As he fell the spirit curled out his tail to aide his landing and prevent his face from gracelessly meeting the canal's concrete pavement. His paw curled into a fist, allowing his chin to shelf upon it. It seems the story worked to present the starting point of the game…

“Oh, but you know very well a game cannot end until a winner is announced.” Discord badr. “After all it was no fluke you were all gathered in one place and nor was it my will you were, but you have to wonder to yourselves… if you can't even maintain your ruse before a bumbling adventurer like Squall here -- who truly is the one that needs to -- stop playing their game. With a snap of my claws I can dispel your little bubble.” He held up his digits threateningly. “But if I did than you'd be unable to hear the rules. Squall, while he denies his wish out of stubborn pride to attain glory all his own you all aren't so foolish, are you? How long has it been since you've gotten exactly what you wanted… and all it takes is to play a simple game…” he offered.

It was hard to say no to such a creature. As Squall said it was like trying to combat the skies themselves. He would do as he pleased, when he pleased -- within reason of course. He wasn't some monster, despite how he looked as of current. He turned his head to the side, letting his long, fang-filled muzzle display itself. “As much as you may believe you aren't partitioned to play this game… I can assure that you are part of a whole. Consider this a once in a lifetime opportunity.” He vanished, appearing dressed in a dapper suit with a briefcase on paw.

Sitting himself on the unconscious Squall he laid the case on an invisible surface. His thumbs move to the latches and clicked them open. A jack-in-the-box popped out with a most horrific cackle, holding a hoofful of papers to Discord, who promptly took them and shoved the uncanny doll back into the case. Struggling a moment he managed to close it up. Settling a pair of gaudy, red, granny reading glasses on his muzzle he looked over the paper.

“Now it says here you all have some curious origin stories unknown even to you. Now everypony needs to know where they came from. It’s fufilling in a way and perhaps will keep you from making the same mistake twice…” But what did he mean, mistake? “Now on this slip of paper is the place you can find your answers, but…” He folded the paper and would place it into an envelope. Licking it closed he held it up, only for it to be swooped down upon by a hawk who flew off into the nearby woods with the missive in talon. “Well you have to find the answers on your own. Oh, say you have to hunt for the truth using your own eyes and sense. I can’t very well just give out these prizes. Like Squall here said -- it isn’t worth anything if you can’t get it yourselves. Oh, but you certainly don’t have to believe me, but you all know very well that if anypony knows -- it is me...” He smirked only for his face to flatten as he moved to smack Squall’s face to try and rouse him. “Wake up fool! We’ve work to do.”

But the biggest question was -- why would he want to help a bunch of stray dogs?

Sometimes it was as easy as wishing on a star….

sXEWq4R.jpg

Toboe dwelled on the word's of the foreigner. This being was clearly a foreign threat if anything so maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to take form of his warnings to heart.  If even half of what this 'squall' said was true then it couldn't hurt to try and make nice. Another question was coming to mind but soon curiosity was replaced with fascination and a strange gut feeling that she should take a few steps back. 

What happened next was... definitely a surprise, and in more than one way too. If she thought anyone here was likely to lose her patience regarding this vaguely serpentine visitor, she thought for sure it would be her (for the second time). Instead it was glamorous stallion who dropped his guise and bore his fangs at the vexing spirit. She had to admit that once he'd shwon his true colors, Kakushi was an intimidating presence to behold. Eyes emitting an ethereal light and the long billowing mane along his back, he was quite majestic. A fitting look for a creature called "Okami". This bout of minor admiration was replaced by a realization: one of opportunity. She knew a major model was a yokai... that could be quite a useful bit of knowledge once she got home. It was best to save such scheming for when she was in a place that underhoofed plans could be made use of quick... and the boonies certainly wasn't that.

The foreigner for some reason she could hardly fathom grabbed on to an angered yokai and soon wound upon the waterway beside a snarling spirit seemingly intent on engaging a pecieved intruder in a fight... only to fall forward from exhaustion. Toboe sprinted over to the ledge and snapped at the pony's tail to grab him and keep him from falling to the water. The first time she missed due to her now smaller size, without thinking about it she dropped her own spell and took her true form with a longer reach and grabbed a hold of unicorn's tail just in time for his upper body to be submerged, but only for a second as the wolf Yanked him up and caught him on her back. Leaving the stallion splayed out on her fur. Not wanting to be in the way of an old wolf eager to defend his territory, Toboe backed off and carried the foreigner over to Nensho.

Un6tXsa.jpg

"Nensho-Kun, Do you have any water or food we can give this one?" She gestured to the pony on her back with her snout, "He seems to know the most about who we're dealing with and if I'm going to get back home sooner rather than later, it can't hurt to have him in our debt."  When she looked back to check on the condition of the pony she went wide eyed when she saw that the visitor was sitting on her back... feeling oddly weightless. He held up an envelope only for it to be snatched by a hawk, "So... the first step to completing your game is to retrieve that envelope?" Her grey eyes followed the hawk in the sky to the forest not to far off, "Consider it done then." Toboe took a deep breath to fill her lungs... but also catch on to discord's chaotic scent. His magical melange of smells surely clung to that missive and this wolf was eager to find her way out of this situation.

"I take it we start after your ... aquaintance, wakes?"

Eg30nq6.png?1

He had lived far too long to be surprised at the ingenuity and unpredictability of ponies, anymore. 

Still, knowledge and wisdom didn't stop the thrill of anticipation that coursed through him at the foreigner's sudden and abrupt movement, grabbing onto his fur in almost the same motion he had used to leap across to the pony's other side. Squall was an obviously skilled and formidable combatant. 

Neither of which compared to him.

Kamikakushi no Shinrin didn't bother attempting to catch the falling pony as his dual spells took effect, however - a flash of brown, quickly replaced with floating wisps of blue, revealed itself as the form of the Ōkami Yokai from earlier, only wrapped in her true flesh as before. A veritable tower of ponies, Ōkami, and spirits was quick to form on the stone underneath their paws as the amalgamate known as Discord continued his drivel, and Kamikakushi no Shinrin shot the female Yokai a withering glare at her complete concession to the creature's demands to play. Give her closeness to the other pony, presumably Yokai, he could only assume that Nensho would just as easily be swept along in the tides of acquiescence and malleability. 

"One does not need a ruse," the Yokai said carelessly, "if one has no wish to hide." If Discord truly believed he had simply lost his temper with Squall, of all ponies, then whatever knowledge the spirit claimed to offer was even more tainted with incredibility and suspense. 

Even if he had been inclined to be toyed with like a particularly fascinating doll, he wouldn't have bothered. The sly smile, the unspoken message hidden deep within his eyes...Discord could not be trusted. From his own mouth, the spirit made clear that belief was a gamble. Even if the amalgamate were to divulge everything he claimed to know right then and there, what good were his words? The spirit was a trickster. 

He did not believe his words, and he could not play his game. He is Ōkami Yokai.

"You've spent too long among pony kind, creature," Kamikakushi no Shinrin intoned, disappointment and disregard evident in both tone and face. "short-lived and hurried to fulfill all to their instant gratifications. If one gains their desires through naught but a simple wish, then..." The Ōkami trailed off, glancing over his shoulder at the sleeping pony, before looking back towards Discord.

"Why bother living at all?" 

And that was for it, as Kamikakushi no Shinrin broke out of the illusion he had set upon himself, leaping over the nearby buildings and exiting the town faster than a pony could see. Magic pulsed through his body and blood as Kamikakushi no Shinrin eyed the hawk circling the woods nearby, before he turned towards the north, towards his home. 

[[ Exit ]]

Archived