Since most of my threads are winding down, I figure I have place on my plate for one new one. 

I look at this one more toward the underbelly of what most of us think of in the world of MLP. The secret backroom deals of political rivals to keep things going in their own favor; while keeping the common pony as in the dark as possible. I am also a romanticizing player that loves a good old fashioned Mafia Novel. Gangster ponies with fast carts and quicker tongue outrunning the law with stolen goods; fully suited and dressed up true gangsters that front their activities in proper tax paying businesses and fly low under the radar of the detectives pursuing them. 

To that end, I want to make a thread that includes politicians, nobility, crime ponies, common ponies duped into running errands without a clue about their true nature; and a long assortment of other crime genre related Dick Tracy style things. Are there any players interested in this sort of thing? I would like to make it a long running series of RPs that are fast paced, and active with a post a day sort of mentality. 

I'm interested in the concept, but not sure how best to fit my characters in right now.  I have a number of characters who might work as 'guest stars' of a sort for a thread, and maybe even a couple who could end up as sort of recurring characters, but I only have a couple characters I'd be willing to commit to a long-running series of threads like this, and I'm not sure either of their personalities would fit what you're going for (although it's possible I have an overly narrow view of that).

Something I'm wondering about the storyline itself, is it going to be about investigating these sorts of underground dealings, or is it going to focus on the ponies that carry them out?  And if it's the latter, is it going to be a more sympathetic/romanticized approach, or are these going to be threads about villains being villains?

Its a bit of all of the above. These threads will be one at a time, villains, romanticized at some points and pure evil at others. I was looking at an unnamed NPC idea of one mobster pony that uses his horn like a tommy gun, blasting stun spells out in rapid succession to the point he can hit the same point 7-9 times in a second. But its a spray and pray pattern.

Then we would have the Manehattan PD trying to solve these crimes of carriage mounted drive by spell castings, bank robberies, and other escapades. They have no real link between the ponies they suspect and the crimes.

Other threads it would be offshore dealings, handling and disposal of objects and ponies tey want gone to maretonian nobility that can make it happen without making a mess or killing the pony they want gone

Does that clear it up some?

That mostly clears things up.  Am I right then, in thinking that this is more a series of separate stories based around a theme rather than a single continuous storyline?

Particularly if that's the case, I'd probably play it by ear and cherry pick which threads I'm in then.  I have number of characters which could do well in particular roles (I could see Naj being called in as part of a special investigation in a crime ring, for example, or Providence could either be the frightening-if-eccentric hired assassin for a crime boss, or looking to hire ponies with skills in illegal fields to help her with a job of her own), but I don't know if I have anyone who could really play a central role in such a thread.

So, I'll keep an eye on this, and let me know if you'd like any of my characters to show up for a particular thread.

They are all part of the same series. They will tie together but not all at once. Like one thread will mention events from one or two of the others. Like the PD talking about a bank robbery from the previous thread, or the villains talking about seeing cops at some restaurant from two threads back. 

The threads will be planned in advance, and every player will be able to weigh in on what their characters can do. Im looking for all kinds of characters. Griffons, ponies, zebras, you name it. Several of my own ponies will be taking part in a few of these threads others I will have some of my lesser known OCs coming in. Its all about what you think they can offer. 

Ahh, I see.  But species aside, what sorts of characters are you hoping to get for the series then?

My concern is that I only have one explicitly criminal character, and only one character in the vicinity of being a guard.  The rest of my stable is mostly adventurers, with a couple of state officials and an inventor mixed in.

im hoping for a full variety of characters. not just good and bad characters. But like the common pony caught up in the mess. Maybe a pony for hire working as a PI looking into a missing pony case or perhaps investigating for a client that had somthing valuable stolen. 

Maybe a pony that has had enough and any time they see mafia activity they decide to try and take pot shots at them with spells or hurl rocks at them. Maybe a pegasus with a batman complex thinks they can do something about it all. 

This series is about variety, and the millions of ways even the most mundane pony or other can get swept up in it. maybe someone saw something they werent supposed too. Or they decided to pinch from a fleeing mobster while no pony saw them. Maybe some small time pickpocket gets in with the big boys. 

Its not just my imagination here. There are a thousand things that can happen. 

• 4 weeks later...

That.....would be a bit more than 500 gems. 

This is a well established crime family. Something like that, they would have to field the cost to acquire, transport, pay off guards and dock workers, find  captain and crew that will keep a tight lip, get the right kind of ship, etc. 

but its an interesting idea to say the least. I'll definitely keep it in mind when I get ready to start these threads. 

Archived