A Father's Return (Kyoma Palace)

MudBug

0Q1tg5O.png

There was a tiny bit of commotion on the way to the Kyoma Palace as a pair of armed ponies walked a tall, robed kirin stallion to the gates like a pair of sentries. Watching his flanks, making sure nobody looked at him funnily - all the while said robed stallion walked with a bunch of packages on his back that he had insisted upon carrying despite every fretful ask from his vanguard to help which he had kindly turned down. But that's how he had been with most of those who asked to help, he was older but he was still capable of carrying a few boxes of all things. As they stepped up towards the doors, he noticed one of the servants offering a small smile and a nod to the guards as they stepped off, most likely to alert the Shogun and his siblings that their father had finally returned from his trip overseas. He appreciated it, it gave him time to reabsorb the feeling of home again.

These walls must've felt so intimidating to visitors or ponies new to the palace, but to him it felt as cozy as a campfire and as warming as a fresh cup of chamomile coursing through his system, the smell and the sight of everything just completely set him at ease after so long on that ship.

Although he had to admit, the islands near Melodia were very nice this time of year.

Settling the packages gently on the floor he let out a soft sigh, it felt like the seabreeze itself was relinquishing its hold on his lungs just being back on solid ground again.

"Ancestors, but it's good to be home." He commented with a small smile upon his muzzle.

It'd been a fair bit, hadn't it? Nearly a whole moon at the most, but he was told 'he needed a break' even if he hadn't felt tired or exhausted by the work. But mentally the workers of the palace had assumed the old man had needed a break.

Oh but not without a pair of mandatory guards, just in case.

He always found that very silly, even if he knew why his family worried, especially lately. But he supposed it got him out to see the world and spend some coin on something for his children. His children. The one thing he'd been missing the most during his whole trip. The three lights in his life that gave his life meaning and joy. He wondered what they'd been up to? What mischief his three jewels had been up to, how his eldest had been handling Neighpon, how Ishi was doing with his work and of course if and how his little moonbeam Kaze had been possibly driving her older brothers crazy whilst he'd been gone. Just thinking about the three of them made that dull ache of longing in his chest that had been plaguing him during the trip melt away into a warm glow. He was home now, he could learn all about their ventures soon.

Ofcourse his newest curiosity was also who'd be here to greet him first bar the servant who went to inform the rest of the palace of his return.

Ishi had been on his way back to his office, having just finished an interview with a witness in one of the cases he was looking into. This one was turning out to be a bit of a head-scratcher so far, one of his witnesses were either lying or mistaken. He wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt and say the latter, but that didn't help him figure out which one was wrong...

Of course, all thoughts of work evaporated when he heard a very familiar voice, making him freeze up and almost making Shibō ram face-first into him. It took all of three seconds for him to process the sound and determine it was real, and he was soon scrambling down the hall excitedly, throwing a hug around the older stallion as soon as he could. 

"Dad! It's so great to see you again! I trust you enjoyed your trip?" Ishi said, loosening the overly tight hug and smiling widely at his father. It had been much too long since they had seen each other, he felt. 

0Q1tg5O.png

At the sound of hooves clattering over the fine wooden floors of the palace, Akarui was briefly torn out of the revelry of absorbing his homestead yet again and steadied himself for the inevitable tackle. Sounded like one of his boys because the hooves sounded far too heavy to be his little girl and sure enough he soon had said hooves wrapped around him in an embrace from none other than his dear second born, a smile spreading across his face as he returned the embrace with gusto - making sure to ruffle his mane a little in an affectionate manner as he felt his heart swell at the sight of one of his children.

It was easy to tell he'd missed them from being away.

"Ishi, my boy! I've missed you and your siblings so much, but yes I've had quite a fine time." He gently relinquished the hold on his son and rubbed at his bearded chin thoughtfully. "Though I could've done without the waves belting the ship at one point, one of the vanguard got quite ill, poor boy."

However such focus then returned to his son, taking him all in with a proud smile on his face as he watched him. "So! What've I missed? And where is your brother and sister? I managed to get you all gifts whilst I was away."

"Ha, I can imagine. Sea travel doesn't agree with everyone, after all." Not that he really had the experience to say that, but hey, it was the thought that counts. In any case, the qilin smiled widely at his father as he tried to get his mane back to normal. 

"We all missed you too, Dad. I don't know where Kaze is, but I'm sure Ryu's still hard at work." Ishi said, still smiling. "Gifts? Like what?" He asked, looking for them in excitement. 

• 2 weeks later...

0Q1tg5O.png

Listening and watching his second born, there was a broad smile on the older Kirin's muzzle with visible pride as he listened to him show his concern for the guard - as well as straighten out the ruffling he had given him. He'd get him later, most definitely. Nopony was free of his fatherly ruffling now that he was back and he felt like he had a lot of that to catch up to most certainly, the playful older gentlecolt wouldn't be swayed from more pleasant evenings with his family and the staff he had equaited to part of the homestead.

"And I missed all of you...I can only imagine how busy you've all been with everything," That concern always rode high on Akarui's brow, as it had with all his children, the worry of the country's weight baring down on their shoulders. Ryu was the Shogun whilst Ishi and Kaze were prince and princess, those were some hefty titles to carry here and he wondered if it ever got too much. He never let it show, not truly, nobody wanted to see their parent overly concerned or worried, worry and anxiety was a cold that caught quickly after all. "But I'm sure you've done wonderfully as usual, including keeping an eye on that little whirlwind you call a sister."

He smiled. And boy did it grow at Ishi's intrigue as he raised a hoof to pat at the gently wrapped parcels, a chuckle escaping him with a hefty tone as it escaped the large stallion's chest. 

"All in due time, Ishi, I want to give them to all of you...I couldn't rightly go somewhere new and not bring back something for all of my children could I?" The playfulness in his tone was palpable, despite any noble baring or quiet dignity the Kirin might've perceived to others - at home he was a playful old soul that wanted to bring joy to his family.

• 4 weeks later...

mmtvg2.jpg

"Dad dad dad dad dad!!!!"

Whenever Akarui was about, there was always a chance of attracting little whirlwinds of joy like his young daughter, Kaze. There she was flying into the hall, stirring up a small gust in the process and more or less living up to her name. In several seconds flat, Kaze had reached her father and proceeded to latch onto his scaled chest with a bear-strength glomp. "Welcome home, Dad!" Kaze greeted with an affectionate nuzzle; "We missed you!"

Meanwhile, Kaze's golem companion Mr. Twig was still struggling to catch up with her with its rooty legs, having been left behind in the dust.....

• 1 month later...

Ishi gave a happy sigh after his father’s response, more just happy he was there. The qilin chuckled more as Kaze came barreling around the corner next and latched onto their father’s chest. 

“Well, that answers that I suppose.” He smiled, watching his sister. Shibō, meanwhile, was watching his fellow golem approach, sitting in place almost like a statue. 

Archived