Lost by one, found by another (Private, Dusty)

Blueblood

*Stay calm, Halvard, stay diplomatic.  You don't know what this mare has seen.  Probably exactly what she just described.*  Having acted in the diplomatic role, as well as the mercantile one, Halvard was used to dealing with and defraying hostility.  Drawing upon inner reserves of calm and fortitude, he kept his smile steady and his demeanor relaxed.  "I can attest from personal experience that it is effective for the ones defending the farm as well.  The moreso for being unexpected."  Moving on smoothly from the topic, he turned back to his wares.

"Nothing ostentatious, then.  The jewelry may well fit naturally with his normal attire, without seeming showy.  It rather depends on his color choices.  In any case, I think the figurines I have will suit the purpose better.  Calder?"  He nodded towards his new assistant.  "Be so kind as to fetch the ones on shelf three."  There were about half a dozen statuettes all told, each of a little long sun engaged in the daily rounds of activity; a soldier guarding, a sailor piloting his craft, a farmer tending her rice fields, and so on.  "If you decide to purchase the whole set, I will offer a discount.  It looks well upon a mantle, when all together."

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The mare for a moment looked as if Halvard insulted her very family with the glare she delivered from underneath her tiger mask but with few deep and slow breaths she relaxed. “[Yes, I bet you have plenty of personal experience with things just like that.]” She spoke in a tone of utter loathing as she replied to Halvard before she reached for a rather heavy sack of coins in a silk bag with gold embroidery of tigers. Really really has a thing for them it seems. “[How much is all of them?]” She asked watching Calder gathering them up.

Calder took care as he started to retrieve them and gently lay then down by Halvard and the mare so she may look them over. He was honestly impressed she was doing this, the mare was not shy that she hated them. But it seems her dad was more open to the matter if he was forcing her to come out here and buy something for him. He felt lucky they haven't came to blows yet and starting the day by selling a full set is vary good. “Here you go Sir.” He says with a nod of his head, backing up so the older Bull can keep working his magic and get her out of here before one of them snaps. 

There was probably no salvaging the topic of barbarianism at this point.  Mentally, Halvard kicked himself for bringing in the experience; he had in fact been the defender, which is why he made that remark, but it was fairly obvious the masked mare assumed otherwise.  In any case, one exchange wasn't going to change her mind; it would take time.  There had been a lot more angry customers when the amber shop first opened than now.  Steady patience and fair dealing, that was the only way forward.

"Each individually would total for 300 kash, but the whole set will only cost you 250."  A bit more than his usual offered discount, but diplomacy had to trump business, for once.

The mare looked shocked from the offer and looked at the bull as if he was nuts. “[250 for ALL of them? When they go for 300 single? That’s almost bribry levels of discounts. I like it.]” She says with a dark chuckle as she drops the bag by the statuettes and opens it, pouring out the coin as she starts counting it out with some impressive speed.

Calder let out a breath he did not know he was holding, at least she sounded like she liked that. Maybe the first positive thing so far if one can call it that… But he was just glad this was going to be done soon. He hopes when he takes a customer it will be nice and easy and nothung like this mare. 

Done counting it out the mare pushed the coins over to Halvard. “[Now to work out how to move them all and not break one…]” She says tapping her chin as she spoke, placing what was left of her coin bag on her side. “[Do you do deliveries? If not do you have some way move them all safely? I’m not about to go breaking them and have to come back and buy more even if you are good at kissing my flank.]”

Calder perked his ears, that was a good thing too ask if they had something more easy to brake and some nice statuettes seem to be something that can break easily or at least chip. And seeing how much they cost that’s not something you wanted braking… and if she was going to move all of them as well he can understand it being a real hoof full.

Hm, it seemed the prospect of hard cash did more than honeyed words to alleviate ill feelings.  Well, that lined up with Halvard's experience; it was just a pity that countries like Long Guo had such byzantine laws against bribery.  Surely, exchanges of goods for services were equivalent, either at the level of individuals, or trade agreements between nation.  Either leave out the sordid materialism entirely, or incorporate it as a whole.

Ah well, he wasn't here to provide social criticism today, just to satisfy customers and watch the bits pile up.  "Certainly we deliver, as long as it's in-city.  Any farther than that and you'll have to trust the Imperial Postal Service."  He ducked quickly under the counter to fetch some twine, wool, and boards for packaging.  "We're quite used to delicate transports, you see.  Storms in the Northern Seas are right beasts if you don't batten your hatches properly.  Have to be back in time to close shop, though."

The mare nods. “[He’s in a hotel, family outing.]” she says giving both bulls a hard look before pulling out a piece of paper with the address and room number on it. “[Here, this will get you to it. You can just give it over to the hotel staff they can get it to his room. Is this all you need? As I’d love to be done with this.]”

Calder moved up to help Halvard start packing them, not hard to pack something up to be safe. Plenty of padding and tieing it up not too move much. Easy. “Well that seems easy, I’d offer to deliver it but well… this is what, day two in the city? Bet you my first axe i’d get more lost than a calf in the woods.” He says chuckling as he smiled at the mare, even if she just frowns at him. “[Thank you for shopping here.]”

She rolled her eyes and snorted. “[You can speak as well? And here I was thinking all you knew was barking and drunken yelling.]”

“[Well I can bark like a dog and yell a lot when drunk, but some sadly can not understand me when drunk and acting like a dog. It’s truly a shame so I had to learn how to speak like a more civil drunk]” Calder says back chuckling, he was starting to feel more easy around this and wanted to speak up some. If she jsut wanted to insult them he can do it for her, something that seemed to work as she did not have a rude comback for that on the spot it seems. She just gave Calder the best glare she can and grumbles to her self 

Havlard gave a quick smile to Calder at his clever use of self-deprecation.  Seems the lad had a good grasp of what to speak and when.  Perhaps he would be worth taking along when he moved from mercantile to diplomatic work... 

Giving a quick glance at the note, the bull calculated that between the journey there, the inevitable conversation at point of delivery, and the journey home, it would take them to the end of afternoon market hours.  Well, fair enough.  It wasn't likely that they'd get another customer; generally it was only one or two a day, after the initial rush of the novelty upon first arrival.  That explained the riches of Halvard's stock.  The rest was mostly to keep his hoof in.  "I would rather like to speak with your father, if he doesn't mind."  He remarked, helping with the last of the bundling.  "He sounds like a remarkable individual."  One definitely with aims towards harmonizing relations between his daughter and Halvard's kind.  A contact worth picking up, for sure.

The tiger themed mare snorted at Havlard’s request as she turns away from them. “[Well i’d hope the hotel has the standards to not things like you run around in it, but that is not my job to tell you no. That belongs to them and my dad… But remarkable he is. So if you must bother him behave or we WILL see how fast your friend can run with a few more missing legs.]” She stomped a hoof and marched away as fast as she can without just running from two bulls as if she spent a moment longer around them she’d get a plague.

Calder looked over at Havlard and frowns. “Well that was fun… I don’t want to lose more legs. What if she takes off my other back leg? I’d be worthless and only fit for wolf food than. Or what if it’s one of my front legs!? How can something even walk on two legs?” He asked as his muzzle scrunched up. “At least I can hope her dad is nice if you must talk to him. It sounded like he may be. But i’d much rather just drop it off and let it be. We don’t want to waste too much day do we?” He looked out at the market. “We can get more customers maybe? More nice ones.”

Halvard let out a breath as the mare finally departed.  He called out, "And a nice day to you too!"  In as pleasant a voice as he could mange, but he did nothing to disguise the frank relief upon his face at the departure of a troublesome customer.  "Normally, I would minimize time out to keep the shop open, but I think that was enough practice for your first day, don't you think?  It's not likely we'll get another customer like that today, but I can't guarantee it."  He pulled a cord with his teeth as soon as the statuettes were safely stowed about his person, letting the awning and shutter close upon his store window.  

"Besides, I really do genuinely want to meet this stallion.  There's obviously some prior history behind that prejudice, and anyone wishing to get past it, to the point where they push their own daughter to interact with a former enemy, is definitely someone worth knowing, don't you think?  Remember, my stay here is diplomatic, as well as mercantile.  We can't afford to pass up a possible contact like this.  Taking advantage of opportunities when presented... it's one of the things that marks the great from the fulfillers of routine."

Calder was not to happy to jump along for this, but Halvard has his points. So with a nod he voices his agreement to go along with it. “Fine, but if blades get pulled I am jumping for the window. I am not about to lose another leg, losing one is more than i’d never want to lose already. But if he is good it may be fun to talk to him… I hope. Given how she acted I don’t think we’d enjoy hearing what past fun they had with are brothers and sisters.” He says checking that all the statuettes were safely tied on Halvard. “I got this itching feeling it’s going to be… nasty. Seeing how pointed the talk about the farm was. For all we know that is just the small tip of a very big block of ice under some dark water.” Done giving the look over he takes point on leaving the store and takes a look around. “Well, lead the way Sir, heres hoping this will be a nice outing and all my worrying is pointless.”

"I wouldn't expect you to stand and fight.  If it gets to that point, we're both going to be in trouble.  I have no illusions about how the local guards will see us if we get in a fracas.  In any case, island or iceberg, better to keep it in sight than lose it in the fog."  And with that, they set off through the streets, heading off to the hotel written on the sheet.

Fortunately, the doorman happened to be a former customer of Halvard, having bought an amber pendant for his wife's birthday.  "Ah, honorable Halvard.  Here to make a delivery?"

"Yes, I pride myself on personal service."  The bull chuckled.  "It's the gentleman staying in this room, would you be so kind as to fetch him?  Or I can meet him in his room, if he prefers."

"I'll let him know right away!"  And with that, the helpful little fellow bustled off, leaving Halvard to remark.  "The daughter is most likely going to be displeased at this level of service.  I don't know if his testimony will be enough to confirm a better impression of us upon her, but it will be a step in the right direction."

Calder looked around at the hotel, it was… lavish. Even just standing outside he can’t help but feel out of place as he eyed up some of the ponies around it. He did not need to ask to see a lot of rich ponies and a three legged Bull with fishing hooks in his ear really stands out around such fine clothing and manes… Not that he is ever removing the hooks, it was one of a few things in his life he was very happy to show off and talk about. But the dress on some of the mars! Heavens, he’d kill to look so beautiful! Looking back at Halvard he watched the older bull talk to the door pony and send him off to ask if they may meet the mares dad.

“I hope so… But I do feel so out of place here.” He says with a flick of an ear as he sits down to let this one back leg rest. He was getting better sitting up and down with just one rear leg to work with. “But at least I have you around to class me up some with that blue fur. Looks better than my shaggy fur.” He added with a soft chuckle.

Catching his protege's glances over the dresses of the guests, Halvard smirked at a suspicion confirmed.  Good grief, this lad would really have been out of place on a Raider's longship.  "There's public bathouses, if you feel the need to clean up.  Not a proper sauna, not in this city, but it will do in a pinch."  He made small talk as he waited for their customer.  The doorpony came down in no kind of hurry and an apologetic expression, putting a damper on Halvard's hopes.

"The gentlecolt is... having a heated discussion, right now.  This is not really a good time, I am afraid.  But I will let him know that you have arrived with the goods, and will deliver them for you so you may be upon your way.  Most regretful, but.... well, I would prefer not to have my head broken by the establishment's furniture."

"I understand."  Halvard sighed, as he strained back to unburden himself.  He couldn't help but be disappointed that his risk seemed to have come to nothing here.

“Well, so much for that.” Calder says as he moved to help unload the goods from Halvard. He was not that upset about it. As interesting as it may have been it may be better this way and gave him more time get the feel of the city before he ends up making a full of himself. “Public bathhouses? What is that? I’m not joking, I honestly have never heard of them befor. Is it like… A river or lake inside? That sounds weird. How’d they do that? Did they move a lake inside bucket by bucket?” He asked wondering how one goes about such a thing, it seems rather silly. It’s not like his ex-clan were strangers to baths, being around so much salt water made cleaning one's fur extremely important but to have a building for it? The more he thinks about it more odd it just was. There must be more to it than he was thinking.

Halvard was, as one might expect, significantly more disappointed at the lack of response from his customer, but he kept his face smiling as all the little statuettes.  "Oh?  Well, usually they are built around little hot springs near a village.  Of course, when a city grows, the buildings come all around it, leaving it as a kind of bathing-garden in the middle.  At least, that seems to have happened here.  Since not many have their own tubs in their house, and even if they do hot water is not always easy to come by, many use the public springs.  I do myself, partly as a way of letting the locals become familiar with me.  We needn't take one today, if you don't feel up to it, but definitely soon."  Calder was likely to feel more confident in meeting the locals after being cleaned and groomed, Halvard was willing to bet.

Calder did like the sound of it. Relaxing in the hot springs? How can one say no too that? And he did feel like he… was looking out of place. He needed to change his looks. Clean up his self so he can better fit in with this new job he was sliding himself in to it. The best way to stay alive is to fit in, something you learn real fast after a few beatings for being to different. “Well that sounds lovely. Whenever we can do that I’d like too.” He says with a smile. “And I must repeat myself in being thankful for all you are doing. I can not understand why you’d helped a crippled outcast like me so forgive me for repeating myself so often. It’s just… a lot to take in. A week ago I was on a ship eating old bread, now i am working for you and selling goods… it’s a lot to take in.” He shakes his head and looks around the city. It was a beautiful place, truly.

"Believe it or not, you actually aren't the most bedraggled refugee I've seen turn up on my doorstep and make himself at home."  Halvard reminisced.  "My... well, I call him my adopted son, I don't know if he calls me father; anyway, he went out on his Will Test, and came back with the most extraordinary little pony I've seen in a while.  A cheerful, upbeat necromancer who'd been living like a rat amidst the ruins of the Southern Wilds.  I had to admit to being somewhat leary of the fellow, but as my son had few friends, I wasn't going to begrudge him this one.  Turns out, that little necromancer was essential to stopping a plague from running through my mate's clan... and saving her life in the process.  From that point on... I've been keeping a sharper eye out for those whom others deem worthless.  It has proven otherwise so often, and I owe much to that fact."

With a shake, he brought himself to the present.  "Right, baths, I think that would be called for before going out tonight, eh?  Just down these few streets and we'll be there!"

Calder arched an eyebrow at the story. “A necromancer? A real one? You have to be pulling my tail… they are real?” He asked with worried look, seems some old cows stories have some truth too them. But a nice one? He does not know how he’d feel on trusting one that raised the dead. “Well, so long as you trust him.” He added with a shake of his head. “But if we can that sounds nice, I will not say not to seeing the baths for myself! And we are going out tonight? Be fun to see what the pubs have on offer here.”

"Most certainly!  I did promise, after all."  With a few more turns, Halvard led Calder to a set of large doors set in a high wall.  Over the gate was written 'Garden of the Inner Hot Springs', though the script was in the local Long Guo writing.  In any case, Halvard knocked twice on the door, which was opened by the proprietor.  Both seemed familiar enough with each other not to need to speak, with the bull handing over a hoof-full of coins for the both of them, and being ushered inside.

The walls separated the springs and the surrounding gardens from the city, as well as the male from the female pools.  The baths were not yet full, though a few customers were coming in behind the caribou.  Halvard shed his armor and sank into the hot water with a sigh, gesturing for Calder to join him.  "Warm baths are a luxury, though I recommend taking a dip in the cold pool before leaving.  Keeps you alert for the evening."

Calder looked around the place and took his time. He was in no rush much as he’d like to take a hot bath. Every day he spent in this land reinforced the growing and deadly grab between his kin and the outside world. Even amongst other Caribou he felt like his clan was… Backwards in how stunted their growth was do to a refusal to settle down. So truly every day here was weird as it was wonderful. Culture shock in it’s fullest from was truly the only way he can explain how bizarre it was yet he did not feel scared from it. He only wanted to embrace it more as he thinked of his lost friend. ‘You truly are nothing like a Caribou.’ was growing more evident by the day now that he was free from the shackles of trying to fit in so desperately to avoid unneeded conflict as he stalked the shadows for petty gains and plays for power.

He was free to be himself and that prospect was more terrifying than the culture shock he jumped into was. What was his real self? He hardly knew as he was what he needed to be. Friend. Cook. Raider. Slaver. Freedom and enslavement. He was different to many faces and shaped his outward persona as needed to fit them. But never did he wonder what he was underneath it all. The acting, playing and lying. Did he even know what he was? With a gentle huff he stepped into the pool and sinks down to his neck. The days, weeks and years ahead of him will be as enlightening as they will be difficult. “Thank you Halvard, this place is rather pleasant… I have not felt hot water like this in some time.” He says smiling as he closed his eyes and relaxed. “I may have to make a point to do this more often, all it’s missing is a nice massage and a bull may forget he’s not a freyr.”

Perhaps truer to his caribou nature, Halvard only spent a few minutes relaxing before reaching behind him to grab a light volcanic stone to scrub himself down with.  His efforts were vigorous enough to actually cause the water around him to turn blue.  Apparently that dye wasn't completely indelible.  "Yes, I will have to re-apply some after we are done."  He responded to the inevitable question.  "And this is why I also come before the crowds... and leave soon after they arrive.  Doesn't make one too popular, putting so much stuff in the common water, you know."  He wasn't too broken up by the sound of it.

It took him only a few minutes to finish the scrubbing, after which he completely immersed himself to let the residue wash off.  The bull that came up had a coat that was only blue-ish, over a coat of whitish-silver.  He must have been born with that coloration, as the bull obviously wasn't that old.  The natural floofiness of caribou fur was made apparent by its sudden absence, as the wet fur clung to Halvard's hide, showing off the muscles of a warrior, though without the sinewy look that came from a limited diet.  The bull took care of himself well in all respects.  "I'm off to the cold pool, I'll wait for you outside once I've finished touching up my clan dyes."

Calder was in no rush as he enjoyed the hot water and relaxing atmosphere of the pool. He did arch an eyebrow as he saw the real colors of Halvards coat and found them amusing, the blue did well to hide it as one may mistake him as an older bull. But Calder did have to admit at least to himself that Halvard was not half bad looking when he was not painted up like a toy. Not that he’d ever tell Halvard that the blue was absolutely silly as one day he may have to pant his coat it as well if he stuck with Halvard for the long run. That was yet to be seen but prospect he can not dismiss. “Well so long as you don’t pee in it i’m not going to get to mad.” He rolled his eyes. “More so stand up and yell “look I am dog!” and than do it. I swear that bull was dropped a few times as a calf.” He chuckles. “But I will meet you at the door than, if I take too long just pull me out of here. I may end up napping with how nice this is.”

Halvard gave a snort.  "It's one thing in the ocean, but to announce it like that..."  He shook his head at the recounted tale of misbehavior and ambled off for a quick and vigorous dip in the cold pool. He emerged, still dripping as he made his way over to his saddlebags to dump a bag of bluestone powder over himself.  He took out a brush to work it through his fur, taking his time for an even distribution of color.  Soon enough, the coat was a vibrant symbol of his clan, and he trotted outside to await his charge.

Halvard did not have to sit to terribly long before Calder walked out the door, laughing happily as an older Qilin waves him off. He looked much more clean now and his mane done up, if messly in bun. “[yes, thank you! I must visit that shop and check them out myself!]” He says to the Qilin before turning to face Halvard and switching languages to something far more easy to speak in. “Such a pleasant old mare, she helped me with my mane. Apparently there is a shop with some wonderful main and coat products, says it can really help mine out.” He says smiling, his mood rather nice after the bath. “Well, hope I did not take to long. Had to rush the mane styling or she’d had me too sun down with it. So, where to now boss?” He stretched and looked around the city, refreshed and energized for the evening and whatever they may get up to next. 

Calder was perhaps unaware of this historical moment, but he was, in fact, the first caribou to have their mane in a bun.  Braids had been known in both genders, but not buns.  Halvard only greeted the occasion with a raised eyebrow, and remarked, "Oh, well then.  Glad to see you're making good connections already.  As for what next, I think we'll drop off our bags at home and grab supper at one of the dockside pubs to start the evening out.  We'll be hungry by the time we get there, given we're still on the inland side of the city."

Archived