A Chance Encounter [Open Invitation]

PecanPraline

Trax smiled slightly, "Thank you Gilded, I really appreciate it." He looked reluctantly at the train station as they got closer, "I suppose starting at the beginning would be ideal, My Sister and I were orphaned when we just foals, we had a pretty good life at the Orphanage. We both joined the Army at 16, lied about our age, Sun's pretty smart when it comes to forging documents. We went separate ways after basic, I went to the Scouts, and she went off to become a combat medic then part of the Army's Magic Division." He stopped as they approached the ticket booth for the train Station. 

Sun sighed with relief as she rested her head  on the back of Eagles neck, "That's fair, thanks for the honesty. Trax and I grew up in an Orphanage, enlisted into Army together, he was put in the Scouts while I was a Combat Medic. Later I got moved to the Magic Division, some senior officers noticed I had some skill in magic, probably could have done something with that but I didn't want to. Being cooped up and learning Magic just wasn't for me, I wanted to see the world and travel, you know. Did two tours to Saddle Arabia, got some pretty cool war stories. Although, a good way to get to know a Mare, is to ask her out. Just an FYI." She added in as a suggested whisper.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Sounds like you've got a lot going on." Gilded said in a purposefully vague manner as he bought the tickets. The salespony smiled politely, unaware of their conversation up until that point. "And starting out so young, though I suppose I can't blame you. I know what tough circumstances are like." He was silent until they were on the train, leading the way back to a private room in one of the cars. "Figured you wouldn't want to talk in front of every pony," he explained as he sat down.

Eagle glanced at Sun over his shoulder. "I meant more like what you like and dislike, what your dreams are, your hobbies... I wanted to know before I asked you out so that I knew what it was you would want to do. I was going to wait to ask about your past so that I didn't make you uncomfortable, but I appreciate the trust you've just shown me. So," he gave another quick flap, "would you go on a date with me?"

Trax nodded his thanks, "That would be best." As the train moved and was on it's way to Canterlot, Trax explained in detail is travels to Saddle Arabia, and then after as a Thief. As a Scout, Trax had been tasked with many covert missions, giving him the skills for a good Thief. He went on to tell Gilded about battles where he had lost many comrades, been taken captive twice, and escaped both times by mercilessly taking out the enemy captors. His comrades gave him the callsign, Black Wolf, in regards to the way he stalked his targets like a predator hunting prey. The Enemy combatants he faced, refered to him in their language, as the Blue Eyed Reaper, given to him by the way he offed his targets like taking them silently and without warning. Normally Scouts did recon, but his skill with throwing knives and the bow, gave Trax's Officers another idea. Trax continued his story, only describing his travel to the unknown land as a nightmare he never wanted to re-live. His life as a thief with Sun started off bumpy, they had gotten chased by bodyguards a lot and had to live in a small dirty cabin for months. Once they became better, the twins lived luxuriously, but their wealth had to always be short lived in order to maintain a low profile. Their final plan was to score big on the Royal Castle Heist and settle down in Neighpon or Long Guo, obviously plans had changed. "To end it all, I am a Cigar Stallion with a mild drinking problem, and I practice my weapons skills for fun." He took out his flask and drank another gulp, he paused mid drink and put the flask away awkwardly, "Maybe down playing the drinking problem a little bit."

Sun went bright red in realizing her mistake, clearing her throat she gathered her confidence back, "Yes of course... I uh, prefer white over red wine and I like bowling... a lot!" She added in an attempt to sound enthusiastic, even though she stuttered wildly throughout the whole thing.

Gilded listened intently, not betraying any emotion or sparing any words, until Trax finished. He nodded towards the flask and the first thing he said was "If you want some help with that, I could introduce you to a program. Helped my brother Golden quite a bit." He then leaned back and thought carefully over his next words. "... You've got a trail behind you there, Trax. I won't say it isn't a dark one, but you survived through it. And at the end of the day, if you can live with yourself, that's all that matters. If you can't, well... I can live with you, if it means anything."

Eagle laughed, unable to help himself after her reply. "Sorry, you're just so cute. So dinner and bowling, then?" he asked once he was finally able to talk without giggling through it. 

"I'll keep that thought in mind, for both." Trax told him, meaning for both the program and the thought of living. In truth,  he wasn't worried about either, Trax had his own method for coping. "The help was appreciated on this case, Drop could've made a different move and the whole could go south. Even though you'll be going back to Guard duty, I know who I can count on for back up."

Sun hid her face, admittedly embarrassed, "Yeah, that'd be nice."

"Yeah, I already have my shift assignments for the next week." Gilded let out a sigh and shook his head. "What a glamorous life we lead, ey? At least my girls are all feeling better, not at all sick any more." He looked pleased at that, one worry off of his mind.

Eagle smiled. "Good. Then let's say Thursday night at 7 I'll pick you up and we can go. I know I don't have a shift that night, so I'll even have time to look presentable." With that, he turned into a slight dive and brought them both downwards to Canterlot, landing just a little ways inside the market.

"That's something to drink to my Friend, a healthy family, good job, and good friends." Trax toasted as he held out a hoof to Gilded, "Besides, without those things in an Honest Stallions life, whats there to live for?"

Sun slid off and gave him a kiss on the cheek, "Sounds like a plan, now, lets get some grub! Don't forget the marshmallows!"

"I thought I knew, until I had it. Now, I believe you might be right. To healthy family, a good job, and good friends." He raised his hoof as well with a broad grin. Then he turned to look out the window.

"You know, one of these days, I'll get you back for surprise kissing me that one time." Eagle smirked, walking towards one of the smaller dessert shops. It was the only one in all of Equestria that sold his favorite sweets: cinnamon-apple cupcakes with black seed frosting. If they were going to celebrate, he was going to share them with Sun and Trax. Plus, it had many of the best candies in Canterlot, including marshmallows. He led the way in and waved to the mare behind the counter. "Hi Butter Cream!"

"Why, hello pretty feathers!" The chipper pony replied, leaning over the counter and fluttering her eyelids. "I haven't seen you in ages! Don't tell me you've found a different place to get your sugar fix."

"No no, you're still the best around, Cream. Say, could I maybe get a dozen of my favorites?"

"Anything for you, cutie," Butter Cream said with a pretty grin.

(These are two very different conversations XD)

(Gotcha lol)

Trax glanced around, then realized they slowing down, but they were still in the middle of nowhere. "We're stopping?" He went to poke a head outside the window but saw nothing, "There's only a few reasons why a train would stop; Engine Trouble, Track Obstruction,...or Robbery."

Sun looked sideways at Eagle with a sly smirk, "I should have guessed a handsome Stallion such as yourself would be popular with the Mares."

"We can't seem to catch a break, can we?" Gilded sighedamd stretched before standing up. "Shall we go investigate?"

Eagle gave Sun a blank look. "Who? Butter Cream? No no, she's always been like that, it's not- ...Or is it? Huh..." He frowned, glancing over at Butter Cream, who was placing the cupcakes in a box. She stole a glance at him and when she saw him looking, she giggled. The realization fully clicked for Eagle and his eyes went wide. "Oh my Princesses, I'm blind."

Trax stood up with a reluctant crack of his neck, "Aye, at least our ranks will get us some answers either way, or be the solution." He followed Gilded out of their private room and down the train cart aisle, many of the other passengers were already beginning to show mass confusion.

Sun laughed and nudged him, "Well this should be a fun afternoon."

Gilded followed right behind Trax, ready to pull him aside in case of another crossbow bolt. He kept a straight face, though inside he was nervous. Having just come from a job, he was equipped for a fight, but he would rather avoid one.

"What do you mean? I'm invested in you right now. Besides, it's a bad idea to get involved with the pony that makes your food. Unless you're already married, but then you should be making each other's food. And speaking of..." he pulled a bag of marshmallows off the shelf. "These look good to you?"

Sun blushed a little, taking the marshmallows with her magic, she looked away trying to hide her face. "Yeah... they'll do the trick.."

An Usher, who was calmly ponies down, saw Trax and Eagle approaching, "Sir, please take your se-" He paused as he saw the shiny badge on Traxs chest, "Oh, you're that new security force, pardon me Ranger." He said apologetically. Trax felt a little uneasy as the ponies around them went silent and starred in amazement and curiosity, not expecting this in their daily routines. "You were just doing your job, tell me, whats the situation?" Trax asked in an authoritative tone, showing he was taking charge of the situation at hand. The Usher nodded and pointed towards the head of the cart, "Nothing has been passed down from the front, I'm guessing there might be something blocking the tracks ahead. You are welcome to go ahead check." He told them evenly. Trax nodded back and looked back Gilded, gesturing they were going to head to the front to investigate.

Gilded nodded, ducking his head slightly to get past the ponies hanging out of their cars. They were all staring intensely now that they knew who was there, and while Gilded was used to staring, he had always hated what came with extra attention. He kept close to Trax to keep from being separated in case somepony got too excited.

Eagle didn't notice her turn away at first, until he moved to say something and realized he couldn't see her face. He tilted his head and moved a little closer to her. "You okay?"

As they made it to the next carts door, there was no sound, except for somepony with a deep gruffy voice spouting commands. Trax paused to listen, "The hold is a litteral hold up." He said before searching for a small opening, finally finding a crack in the door, "It looks like five of them, its like the wild west in there." He looked back at Gilded with a sly smirk, "Ready to play Johny-Law?"

Sun pushed his face away, "Easy handsome, we got things to do first." Nodding for him to pay for their food.

Eagle gave a soft chuckle, though he was still curious. He then trotted over to the counter where Butter Cream stood waiting, and pulled out a small pouch of bits from under his wing. "How much is it today, Cream?" He asked, one wing already reaching into the purse. Butter Cream glanced around him at Sun Flare, a small hint of jealousy in her eyes.

"Well Eagle Sweet-Heart, I don't know if I can charge you. I still owe you for a birthday present, and all. How about we call it square?"

Eagle sighed and gave a fond smile before putting down 10 bits for the cupcakes. He then took out three more for the marshmallows and picked up the box off the counter without a word.

"Fine then, you stubborn Pegasus you. See you again soon!" She called after him. He held the door open and waited for Sun to follow him out.

"Well of course we can't catch a break here. Cmon then. I'll distract them, then jump the first one that gets close. Then when two of them come to pull me off, you rush the biggest one. Sound good?" Gilded was clearly ready to go, his concealed knife hidden under his saddlebag, in an easy to reach position.

Sun walked out holding her head high like she had just won something, giving Eagle a casual wink as she passed him.

Trax nodded in agreement and stepped aside to let Gilded go first, "Be careful." He warned earnestly, knowing he couldn't forgive himself if Gilded got hurt or worse during this, He had a family waiting for him.

Gilded coughed, putting on his best rich pony voice, and sauntered into the room without a single warning, startling the bandits. He made it about 3 feet into the room when he paused, pretending to look aghast. "I say, what seems to be going on in here? This is a real mess you know. What are you five doing?" His annoying spoiled pony voice broke them out of their shock, and one of them moved to pin him.

"Give us the saddlebag, now!" He shouted, knife drawn. Gilded looked shocked, but reached down as if he was going to comply. But once the bandit was close, he suddenly tossed his head back, knife between his teeth, and sliced through the pony's shoulder and chest. The bandit gave a loud cry and fell back, and two of his comrades leaped to his aid, pouncing on Gilded. He went down underneath their combined tackle, but he kept stabbing at them.

Eagle smiled back at her, then trotted along a bit more, pausing only to pick up some apples. "I know Silver was saying she needed more," he explained as he gave the stall-owner some bits. "So where to now?"

Trax came flying in, stealing a scarf off a passenger and wrapping it around the biggest bandit, stopping just behind him and throwing the bandit over his shoulder onto the injured bandit. At the same time, two knives were struck into the bandits back who was still in top of Gilded, Trax jumped off the chairs heading for the fifth bandit, who was now drawing a small crossbow with his magic. Time seemed to slow down as the bolt was fired, Trax flicked his wing, sending a knife spinning forward. There was a high pitched ding of steel on steel as the knife made contact with the arrowhead of the crossbow bolt, the bolt was flung into the ceiling and the knife struck into the wall behind the Bandit. Trax barreled into the Bandit, hitting him twice across the face and then quickly cuffing him down. "Got the leader!"

"Well, what do we have so far?" Sun asked curiously, "Will we need firewood?"

With the knives in their backs, and the one slashing their faces, the two other bandits fell over, panting. Gilded stood up and quickly took a rope from his saddlebag and started tying them up. The ponies in the car all started cheering.

"No, no, I think we should be okay now. Let's go back to their house. Gilded and Trax should be home soon."

Trax kept a hoof on the lead bandit, acknowledging the cheers with a slight smile, but then he became aware of the bandits laughter. He was about to ask why, but the bandit spoke first, "You think you won? Our Leader is probably off this train already, with scores of loot from the other carts, this is a false victory for yo-" Just then a large stallion crashed in through the roof and into the aisle, also dressed in a cowboy fashion like the other bandits. The bandit pinned under Trax let out a sad whimper as several saddle bags fell in on top of the big stallion, then another pony hopped down from above. This orange stallion with a sandy blonde mane and hazel eyes grinned triumphantly, he wore a red and brown cloth poncho and a dark brown cowboy hat. The Strange Stallion glanced from Trax to Gilded, "Howdy Law Ponies, my name is Seven Shot, and this big stallion here is the leader of these rowdy bandits. Caught him tryin to high tail it out o' here when I rustled him up and drug him back for ya. Also, I do have a ticket for this here train ride so no bother askin'." He explained with a thick accent, most likely from the deep west. Trax could tell he was lying about the ticket part, he was probably hitching a ride on top one of the carts and saw this surprise robbery as a ticket into a free ride.

Sun nodded, "Alrighty, lets head to the house, I can't wait to see the fillies!"

Gilded wasn't fooled either, but he ignored that for now. "Well howdy to you too, sir. Thanks for dropping in. I do appreciate your help in rustling this fellow up while we were busy rasslin' with these 'uns here. Good to see nun'a work gone to waste. Seven Shot, was it? You've got my gratitude."

All of this he said in a dead-on impression of a southern accent, something he had picked up working on the farm. He walked over and slung a leg around the other pony's shoulders in a casual manner and then winked at Trax.

"You've got it!" Eagle said with a grin, already leading the way to his sister's house. The streets of Canterlot were a bit busy, but that was to be expected at this time of day. He did his best not to step on anyponies' tails while they walked on, but Sun Flare was an attractive pony, and more than a few heads turned.

Trax facehoofed himself, "Was the accent really necessary?" He asked shamely. Seven Shot grinned awkwardly, "Well thank ya kindly stranger, er.... I think I'll just head back to er... my seat and relax for the rest of this here ride." He started away but a cold tone stopped him dead, "You'll stay right where you are and help us take these crooks to jail, how's that sound, Stranger?" Seven felt Traxs presence behind him like a dark aura, a growing sense of danger. He turned his head around nervously, "Of course Sir, anything ya need..." Trax looked to Gilded, "Just got us some free help, and in exchange, he gets a free ride. Just this once." 

Sun strolled along nonchalantly, unaware of the stares she was getting, or so she acted. 

Gilded chuckled. "What? I have an assimilative way of talkin. If somepony talks a certain way, I can't help but mimic it." He wasn't kidding. Mostly it was subconscious, but he also knew he did it and made no real effort to stop it. He moved to stand on Seven's other side, handing him one of the ropes around the bandits so that he could help drag them along.

Eagle was well aware of all of the staring, but usually it was at him for looking so different. He was almost pleased that Sun was so distracting, as it gave him a break. But, deep in his chest, he felt small pangs of jealousy. He wasn't a jealous pony, truly, but he liked Sun Flare a lot, and the predatory looks some of the single stallions were giving her disgusted him. He slowed his pace a bit to match with Sun's, then wrapped a wing around her protectively. A few ponies started to mutter at that, saying things like "she could do better" "Psh, she needs a real stallion" but he ignored them.

Seven took the tope reluctantly, when the bandit started to get restless, Seven hit him over the head. "Quit ya squirmin." Trax tied a rope around the unconscious Leader and started towards the back of the train, "The back will less civilians, hopefully an empty cart." He turned to an Usher, "Inform the Conductor that we are clear to continue." 

Sun smirked slightly, "Only the insecure put down others to make themselves feel better, remember that, cause they don't know you like I do. Besides, their just jealous anyway, I like to consider myself a 'Good Catch'." She told reassuringly.

Archived