A Chance Encounter [Open Invitation]

PecanPraline

"Exactly what I was thinking," Gilded replied with a wink before picking up another rope and dragging them along behind them. The bandits grumbled as they accepted their fate, knowing there wasn't much they could do against the earth pony. Gilded seemed pleased about that, but he continued to be professional and made sure there was no way they could escape and start up their robbing again.

Eagle quickly pressed a kiss to her cheek. "I think you're a great catch, actually. And I know. I learned to ignore the bullies a long time ago." He turned a corner and led her to the little purple house where Silver and Gilded lived, and they were attacked by little filly pegasi shooting out of the door at high speed. Behind them followed Silver, walking at a much slower pace with Pastel balanced on her back.

"Hello you two. Welcome back," she said with a smile.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once they were at the very back cart before the trains caboose, Trax had the bandits circle up back to back, "Seven, tie them up, make sure it's tight." He ordered evenly as he sat into a seat. Seven drooped his shoulders, "What makes you think I know how to tie knots?" Trax just starred at him with a raised eyebrow, Seven awkwardly raised a hoof, "Right, dumb question, I'll get on that." 

Sun lit up her horn, catching the two filly pegasi in mid air before they ran into them, "My my, aren't you two excited." She moved them so they were directly infront of Eagle before she let them go again, tackling Eagle back, "Whoopsies." She waved to Silver with a smile, "Greetings deary, how goes your day?"  

Gilded dropped the rope to hope onto his knife again, in case one of them tried to be funny. He then went to the car door and locked it to keep civilians from entering by accident. Satisfied, he leaned back against the wall with a smirk, pleased at how well things went today. Trax was a very apt Ranger, it seemed.

The girls collided with Eagle with a "Gack!" and the sound of feathers against his face. He landed on his back and looked up at the pair of fillies who were grinning back at him.

"Hi uncle Eagle!" Cloud Chaser said excitedly. Stormy Night nuzzled her nose against his cheek in greeting. He carefully sat up, sliding them from his chest to his lap, then gently put them down to stand up.

"Hello you two. Hi Silver."

"Hello Eagle, hello Sun. My day is well, how about yours? Was the mission successful?" Silver asked with a gentle smile.

Trax sighed as he started to relax himself just a little, "What a day, from one troublesome matter solved, and onto another one. I can see this Ranger thing becoming a busy job." Seven looked up from the bandits, glancing at the badge upon Trax's chest, he looked away finishing the knots of the bandits. Attempting not to show any interest.

Sun nodded happily, "It went well, the perp gave up easily, although I'm sure it could have gone a lot worse. Luckily we had Eagle and Gilded to back us up." She said as she nuzzled Pastel.

Gilded noticed, but chose to say nothing. He instead smirked and said, "Well you know, we can't all be in the Royal Guard like me, but the Rangers are the next best thing, getting to do your own thing away from the Castle, being a special task force, chasing down the most dangerous ponies in Equestria... Right after protecting the Princesses, it's the most dangerous job around, I reckon." He then winked at Trax and glanced over at Seven to indicate why he was talking the both of them up so much.

The baby pony grabbed hold of Sun's mane and used it to climb from her mother's back to her aunt's, giggling all the while. Silver gave her a gentle push onto the unicorn's back so that she could be sure Pastel wouldn't fall, then she nodded to Sun. "Yes, Gilded and Eagle have both proven themselves to be ample defenders. It's part of their charm," she added the last part in a whisper, pointing to Eagle who was holding Stormy under a wing to keep her safe beside him.

Trax glanced over to Seven, watching his ears twitch, he hid a slight smirk, "Indeed, although it wouldn't do any harm in searching for new members, can't always take the Royal Guards away from their posts." He paused in thought, wondering if he was just talking it up for Seven, or himself, "You know, if the Rangers are to expand, we'll need an official name for the organization itself. In time, with more members, we can cover all of Equestrias major cities and towns." Seven was practically shaking with excitement, straining to contain himself from bursting out. Trax rubbed his badge, "Maybe, just maybe, create some really cool looking uniforms." At this, Seven whirled around with sparkling eyes, "PLEASE LET ME JOIN YOU!" He burst out pleadingly.

Sun smiled back at Pastel then looked at Eagle, "He does have a knack for being Protective. Anyway, we're all coming over for a bonfire, have Trax and Gilded made it back?"

Silver shook her head. "Not yet. If they didn't come with you, then I assume they took the train? Shouldn't be much longer now then." She sounded normal, though a very slight change in her expression betrayed her worry. She always worried when Gilded was away for too long.

Gilded held back a laugh, and looked over at Seven as if he just remembered he was there. "Pardon? Not quite sure I heard you right. You want to join good ol' Trax here?" He put on his best suspicious look as he examined the stallion in front of him. "Well... It would be up to Captain Stryker and the Princesses. What do you think Trax?"

Sun, with all her skills of deception and reading facial expressions, picked up the slightest hints of worry from Silver as she spoke. She smiled and put a hoof on Silvers shoulder, "I'm sure their just running late, Trax's sense of urgency is next to none. Come on, lets go set up."

Trax nodded in agreement, "Ultimately, the Princesses have final say, but with your help here the chances are pretty good. A private interview with me will happen before you meet Royalty, just make sure you have the right intentions." Seven nodded quickly, hooves shaking with excitement, "Oh that would be very kind of ya good Sir, thank you, thank you." Trax looked over the stallion, he had seen the numerous small crossbows underneath his poncho, not just any pony would carry so many without the skill to back it up.

Gilded finally let out a small chuckle, pleased to see so much passion in a pony. "It's not all fame and adventure, it's a lot of responsibility too. You best be sure you're prepared to handle the fate of Equestria falling on you every once in a while." He glanced out the window to see that the train was getting close to Canterlot and sighed in relief. He missed his family already, and he was sure that the other two had already made it to his house. He wanted to be with them.

Silver made her smile grow a little wider and turned to go back into her house, pausing only to pluck Cloud Chaser out of the air by the tale. The little blue pegasus gave an "aww...." of disappointment, but didn't struggle. Behind them, Eagle had Stormy sitting on his back and had his wings folded carefully around her as he trotted in after them. 

Inside the house it was small, but warm. The kitchen was in a corner by itself, clean and neat and open to the room. Beside it was the dining room with a small table and chair set, enough to seat 8 ponies. Off of that was a hallway lined with 4 doors, one leading to a bathroom, one to the den, and the other two to the girls' rooms. Then the stairwell which led up to the second floor with Gilded's office beside another bathroom, and his and Silver's room past that. On the opposite side was the two guest rooms. The last door led to the attic. But Silver didn't approach any of these. Instead, she went right to the wicker door beside the kitchen sink, which led out to the back yard. There, she set Cloud Chaser down to play while she moved chairs around to sit.

An hour later, Trax finally joined the bonfire after settling business with the train robbers and introducing Seven to Stryker as a candidate for Ranger. Stryker considered it thoroughly, and put Seven on a probationary period to which he'd prove his worth. The Train Bandits were processed into the local jail, all were priors from years past. Trax glided down into the backyard, landing silently with a slight yawn, "Bandits are locked away, Seven is being processed into the barracks, and just got word that Drop is also safely locked away too. A good day." He guessed Gilded had told the story of the train robbery after he sent him home once they arrived in Canterlot, seeing the Stallions obvious drawing to see his family. Sun levitated Pastel onto Traxs back, "Good, your turn to hold Pastel."

Silver walked over to Trax's side and wrapped a wing lightly around his shoulders in greeting. "Glad you made it. Thank you for ensuring Gilded's safe return." She smiled softly, then went inside to grab a plate of food for him. On his back, Pastel giggled and started trying to burrow under his wings. After a few moments, only her bright pink mane and tail were visible in little curly tufts. Eagle was sitting between Sun and Gilded, looking both pleased and a bit tired. He had been relaxing since he got there, and playing with the girls, which resulted in him being low on energy now. Gilded, for his part, was telling Stormy and Cloud a story that they were both listening intently to. It was about two brave little fillies who saved Equestria and grew up into princesses who could control the very sky. Their eyes were huge as they listened to him, the first time they held still the whole night.

Sun used her magic to stick two marshmallows on a stick and began roasting them over the fire, "Eagle hun, can you pass me the crackers and chocolate please?" She asked kindly as she focused on getting the marshmallows a golden color. Trax sheltered Pastel with his wings, "Someday, when your older, I'll teach ya some tricks. Then you can really be sneaky." He added in a whisper.

Eagle obliged, putting the required ingredients on a spare plate and placing it down next to her. The second he let go, however, he felt a tug on his wing and suddenly he was roped into being a vicious monster because he was "better at growling", according to Gilded. The girls were delighted and started acting like the two princesses, following their father's narrative to fight their uncle. Pastel however stayed nestled in Trax's wings with a giggle, only peeking out to smile at him. She seemed as if she was agreeing to the sneaking lessons.

Sun turned her head to watch Eagle play with the fillies, a slight smile of adoration slid across her face, knowing her feelings for Eagle grew with each passing day. She looked back to her marshmallows and realized they were on fire, she pulled them from the fire and blew them out, sighing reluctantly as she started to make the s'more. Trax chuckled deeply, "I have a feeling your going to be a very troublesome pony as a teen, and I'm going to get blamed for it."

"D-d..." Pastel babbled for a moment, and then-

"Dwak!" she said aloud, causing Gilded to pause mid-sentence and look over to the pair. Even Cloud, Stormy, and Eagle paused their playing to see what was up. Pastel was clapping her tiny hooves together, grinning widely.

"Her first word!" Gilded said, looking astonished. Then, he pat Trax's shoulder and smiled. "Seems she likes you enough to learn how to say your name. At least in baby-babble."

The other two fillies rushed over to congratulate their baby sister, though she had no idea what they were saying, and then they rushed to tackle their father, begging him to keep telling the story. As proud of their sister as they were, they had been having fun. Next thing Eagle knew, he was thrown to the ground by two little ponies who were dueling him into submission. A little while later he had them asleep on his lap, both too tired to continue playing past their bed time. Eagle couldn't carry both of them though, so he was stuck. Which he didn't seem to mind.

There was a knock at the door, and Silver disappeared to answer it. When she returned, she had two mares trailing behind her.

"Good evening," said the beautiful red unicorn, "My name is Heart Breaker, and this is Soft Spot. We work at the castle in the Guard's Wing to keep it clean and running smoothly."

"Eagle Heart invited us!" interjected the smaller yellow earth pony. She grinned at them all, waving to Eagle before adding "He said it might be nice for us to meet you guys, since he's our friend."

Sun glanced slyly at Eagle, "Friends huh? How charming, I'm Sun Flare, and this is my brother, Nameless Trax." She said sweetly, gesturing to Trax as she spoke his name. Trax made sure Pastel was safely situated on his back before walking up to the two mares, "Please, call me Trax, it is a pleasure to meet such beautiful Mares." He told them silvery.

Heart Breaker gave a soft laugh. "Nice to meet you, Miss Sun. Don't worry, Eagle has been turning down my flirting for years. He knows it's all just in good fun at this point." She then turned her attention to Trax, taking note of the baby on his back. She smiled and pat the tiny filly's head before saying "It's nice to see Pastel is doing well still. And she seems to like you quite a lot."

While the unicorn spoke, Soft Spot was peeking out from behind her. The pony's eyes were fixed on Trax, and she seemed to blush as he spoke to them, even more so when he called them beautiful. She was partially hidden behind her mane, doing her best not to stare, when Silver came up beside her. "Why Softie, when did you get your cutie mark? You didn't have it when you started at the castle."

"Oh!" The yellow pony almost seemed to jump. "Well... I was helping the nurses bring in one of the newer recruits from the Academy's graduates a few years ago. The poor dear was terrified, and I wasn't supposed to be there, but whenever the nurses left him for a moment, I would go and comfort him. He finally quieted down enough for them to treat him properly, and it became my unofficial job to comfort the scared ones. I only recently realized that it was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life, and there it was!" She turned slightly to better show off the pillow with a heart on her flank. Silver smiled.

"I knew you would have something like that. You always were so sweet."

"Thanks..." Soft Spot said, smiling shyly. She seemed a bit more at ease now, talking to her old friend. At least, she wasn't hiding in her mane as much.

Sun smiled but still gave Eagle a side glance, she had to admit, Heart Breaker  was a gorgeous Mare. Trax smiled back at Heart Breaker, he caught Soft Spot staring and smiled at her too, "I guess she does, she's a cute one, but she's got some spunk in her. I suppose getting injured on a case wouldn't be all to bad if I get see the two of you." He added humorously.

Eagle was tired from playing with the girls, and he was slowly trying to slip out from beneath them without waking them up. Silver noticed and went to help him, picking up Cloud carefully and folding the filly in her wings. This freed up Eagle to do the same with Stormy, who blinked awake, but yawned and went right back to sleep upon seeing her uncle carrying her. As he helped Silver bring them to their room, he missed Sun's glance.

"Now now, let's not give the nurses even more work to do than they already have," Heart Breaker said with a chuckle. "If you really want to see us, you can find us in the Guard Wing at almost any time of day. In the evenings we're in our room the floor above. Or we could be on a date," she added with a wink. Soft Spot gave a little sigh at that, but she moved to play with Pastel.

"You've certainly grown at a good rate, little one," she said gently, tickling the baby with a hoof. Pastel Rose squirmed and wriggled under the tickling, but it soon tired her out. Like her sisters, she was asleep in minutes. 

Trax raised an eyebrow with an intriguing smirk, but noticed the little filly on his back nod off, "Excuse me for a second, I'm going to put this one off to bed, and I'll be back soon to revisit the direction this conversation is heading." He told her smoothly before following after Silver and Eagle, "I got another one for ya, she's had a long day."

Sun wiped her face after finishing her s'more, "Did you both start out as Nurses? I was a Medic in the Army for a few years myself." She asked curiously.

Silver turned to open the door to Pastel's room and took the blanket off of a tiny owl in a cage. It gave a soft hoot, then hopped up to sit on the open window. Silver then smiled at Trax "All set for you." Then she and Eagle continued to the twins' room to tuck them in.

"Oh no, neither of us, actually!" Sun Spot interjected much faster than Heart Breaker could. She also wasn't hiding behind her mane. "We started out more as maids and managers of the wing, cleaning and making sure everything stayed in order. There are several other mares who work with us, but we work closest to the barracks so most of the guards know us the best."

"We became nurses as well because of that," Heart Breaker managed to get in while Softie took a breath, "Since we knew the guards so well, they thought we could help ease their pain. Mostly because Soft Spot showed them she could." The two mares shared a smile of mutual respect at that.

Trax gently set Pastel down into her bed, pulling the blanket over her, "Sleep tight little one, sweet dreams." He tol her softly before taking his leave of the room.

Sun nodded in understanding, then looked at them slyly, "So how do you two do it? Being around a bunch of handsome Stallions all the time, surely you've dated a few of them?"

"A few?" Heart Breaker asked with a laugh. "Try half of them. I get around, darling, and I'm not ashamed of that. Fortunately they all know what a flirt I am, so none of them are too upset to see me with someone else a week later."

"I'm pretty selective about it," Softie said. "Plus, I'm... pretty shy with the ones I really like, so I end up just not talking to them. I've been on a few dates though! It brings up moral for the boys when a pretty mare wants to go out with them, so if they really want to, I don't say no."

Heart Breaker nodded. "That's very true. But I do know a lot of single mares around town, so I also have a tendency to play matchmaker."

Sun starred blankly for a moment, not expecting that as an answer, but she wasn't at all bothered. "Oh we're gonna get along just fine girls. Just. Fine."

Trax came back out, seeing his sister talking with Heart Breaker and Soft Spot, he veered for Gilded, "I'd ask if you have problems working around two beautiful Mares like them, but with Silver waiting at home, I can see why. How did you two meet?"

The two mares laughed again, then Heart Breaker leaned in conspiratorially. "You know, our dear little Eagle has been swept right off his hooves by somepony special. I can see it in his eyes when he just stands around day dreaming for a bit. You wouldn't happen to know anything about that, would you?"

Gilded smiled fondly as he recalled it. "Well, Eagle wanted his family to meet his best friend, so when there was a Family Day Picnic at the Academy, he made me promise to stay with them. Since I doubted my father or brother wanted to come anyway, I figured it was the easiest way not to be all alone for it. So I agreed. When I met him at the picnic field, he dragged me back to meet his mother and sister. His mother was a tiny sweet little mare, and very friendly, but I was a bit distracted by the blue pegasus that looked nothing like either of them. He hadn't told me she was adopted, so it was kind of awkward when I asked about her appearance." He laughed and shook his head, blushing about it even now.

"My only hope at recovery after 'why do you look so different?' was to try and change it. So I ended up blurting out something like 'because you're both such different kinds of beautiful!' Which, well, it wasn't a lie. But boy was my hoof in my mouth. Thankfully, Silver forgave me for my slip up. Which only made me like her more."

Archived