Dusty

“That is all I can ask for than. Just don’t miss.” Tempest snapped back as she looked back at the milk… then looked really confused. Why WAS AJ holding it… she can just put it down on the table. Tempest shifted uneasily as she tried to piece together how to grab the milk well keeping a foal safe on her back. She can’t sit down and use her front legs… She can use her magic… so she just leans over and bits the rip of the glass, than moved it to the table and put it down before it slips. “Have I told you how much it sucks being a unicorn with a broken horn?” She says with a frustrated snort of anger. “I hate watching them move things. Just picking up a dozen things like its nothing, shaking a hoof well drinking wine. I don’t know how you earthponys do what you do with them hooves. I can’t hold a glass one hoofed.” she than laps at the milk as is sits on the table, selling the point about not being able to hold it. “Oh, this is fresh… I love fresh milk. Most of all before they skim it down.”

5HbB79Q.png

Eventually Tempest accepted the answer and took the milk. With her mouth. With difficulty. It took Applejack a little bit to understand why. She had lived with a broken horn her whole adult life, right? She knew a few ponies that had become disabled and they all found ways to adapt. So why not Tempest? All this time she could have spent trying to overcome her disability she had instead allowed it to define her. Then it struck Applejack. She wasn't allowed to forget it, to learn and to adapt. The Storm King had used her lack of horn as leverage and made it a defining characteristic. She didn't know what it would be like to lose a hoof and then not be allowed to focus on overcoming her disability. She knew she'd be given the time, the resources, and the support to do so. That was what Tempest needed. Applejack wasn't sure how much she could do overall, but she knew she could do a little. 

It started with Zap. As comfortable as he was, he was making it hard for Tempest to really enjoy her meal. "Glad you like that milk! It came from some of mah dairy cows. Arizona just matured but she ain't exactly tha milkin' type, but tha rest of her family sure as shine are. We can meet 'em later. A friendly lot, the whole of 'em. Just don't mention snakes unless y'all want a stampede," she said with a laugh as she trotted on over and picked Zap up gently. He had fallen back asleep hard enough that it wasn't hard to do. "Ah'm gonna put lil' stinker here back into his bed. Don't wait up on mah account, sugarcube," she said gently as she trotted out of view, leaving behind the sound of distant cows mooing, chickens squawking, and the far-off sounds of Ponyville to be Tempest's company.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tempest nods with a soft chuckle as she watched AJ remove the small colt from her back. She was kinda sad to see him go, but he needed some real rest, not napping on top of her back. As sweet as that was. “Don’t rush.” Tempest says back as AJ left the room…

Soon as she was gone she lays her head down on the table, staring off at nothing as she took stock of… everything. Aj was uncomfortable that was easy to read. Much as the mare did try to hide it, she was a bad liar. But she can’t blame AJ. What pony will not feel uncomfortable with her? What she asked? But she had to do it. AJ needed to understand getting too know her was not fun and full of sunshine. She was not normal. 

In one week she went from leading an airship fleet to sitting at this table. She took this land to the breaking point in one day. Its leadership gone on all levels. Yet she was free. They let her go on the words of twilight. Friends. Much as she smiled and nodded she did not feel it. She never had friends and that was not changing soon.

With a sniff Tempest realized she was starting to lose it. Tears were forming in her eyes. She needed to be alone. Drinking the last of the milk and taking a few more bites she looked out the window and the growing darkness outside as the evening faded into night time. She needed to rest, that’s all. Did she stay? Was she wellcome too? Walking to the stars she looked up them, she wanted to ask… But something stopped her. She felt scared to ask. Moving to the door she gently opens it and slips out to find somewhere to sleep underneath the stars.

• Like 1