How to Lose a Griffon in Three Days (Hippogriffs/Seaponies only, ask for invite)

Hippo

81KtqmA.png

Free food? Count him in. Never say no to free food. It was the best aspect of Professor Applejack's class. You could count on her having some apples and maybe a pie to share. He doubted that this would go as easily. The acrobatic displays were pretty damn impressive. They moved back and forth, flowing lazily and then moving like lightning to the point. They never made full contact however. The first time or two Gallus would admit to a little wonderment. Why weren't they hitting one another? Were they scared to hit one another? It wasn't cool enough to justify not getting the impact right. Then he realized it was more just of an athletic display than anything else, and then he got into it a bit more. They answered the calls of the crowd, barrel rolling and scraping against one another in a dazzling display of athletic prowess.

This went on for some time before another armored figure hovered near the crowd. "Welcome and well met, Citizens and Friends alike! Do any of you wish to join in this mighty contest of skills, courage, and strength?" He asked the crowd at large, the enthusiasm in his voice leaking into the crowd at an accelerating rate as more than a few claws went up in an attempt to get his attention. Gallus did not raise his paw. Maybe if he knew who he'd be jousting but as far as he knew it was gonna be a guard or somecreature else that knew what he was doing. Behind the recruiter, the hippogriffs who had been pulling off the moves separated at a much greater distance before turning about and flying at one another at top speed. The smaller, thinner one was hit at the point of contact and went tumbling down into a strategically placed pool below, his jousting lance landing with a thick crunch against the ground next to the pool. Yep, he was fine not raising his paw just yet!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

large.png

Silverstream lit up at the prospect of the event speaker inviting onlookers to participate. She knew that there were very few moments when this would ever happen. One time she got to be a honorary participant in the celebration jousting event. To her, it meant a lot to be a part of the action and excitement with everygriff watching. What she would never remember to mention though, is that as a member of the Seaquestria Royal Family, she would always face a competitor who was scripted to either let her win, or act in such a way that made an amateur flyer like Silverstream look like a future captain of the hippgriff aerial squadron.

She inadvertently bumped Gallus, but then egged him on. "Gallus you should volunteer. It's super fun, and no griff ever gets hurt for volunteering. I'll cheer you on!" The reality of danger didn't phase Silverstream, but maybe that was because there hasn't been anything to fear on Mount Aris since the Storm King was sacked.

• Like 1

81KtqmA.png

Silverstream bumped him an soon had his attentions given over to the prospect of joining the festivities. He had so very little interest in it, but was trying his best to safe beak in front of her. He looked around for a good reason to not volunteer. "Oh, me? I'm-" he began, not realizing that he had raised his talon to point to himself. The scanning guard turned jousting enthusiast saw this and took it as the worst possible sign.

"Oh, looks like we have a volunteer!" He yelled out, and the crowd parted slightly. That left Gallus and Silverstream as the 'stars' of the moment. Gallus looked around, knowing what he had to do to not lose face and hating every moment of it. "...Yeah. I mean, yes! I'd love to!" He lied loudly, puffing out his chest and flaring out his wings in a display that would be impressive were he not surrounded by older hippogriffs.

The guard reached down and pulled him up and into the sky, where Gallus hovered in great anxiety. "Great! Haha, what courage! Tell us, who are you?" The guard asked, his booming voice displaying for all to see just quite how much of a disparity existed between this fit, tone guard and the only-recently well fed bastard griffon. For all of that though Gallus wasn't going to let them know he was born in Griffonstone. He didn't even consider that place his home, not anymore.

"I'm Gallus. Gallus from the School of Friendship," he said with as much pride as he could muster, trying to maintain the front as best he could. Some of the crowd murmured in understanding, not that it came as a shock. Anygriff with eyes could see he had been traveling with Silverstream, and the Princess had been at the School of Friendship herself. It all clicked easily in the minds of many. Rumors would spread.

"And does this foreign friend of yours have your consent, Princess?" The Guard asked playfully. Gallus had volunteered, but it was going to be fun to needle the volunteer regardless. Behind him, Gallus' smile was wide, strained, and pleading.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

large.png

The theatrics and banter of the guard's voice entertained the crowd. And with the added intrigue of a classmate of the queen's niece at the School of Friend that was began by Princess Twilight Sparkle, the audience began clamoring with chatter and suspense. The shakiness of the griffon's voice could be heard, but was mostly drowned out by the sheer fact a griffon had approached as a challenger, his bond with the royal niece notwithstanding.

Silverstream giggled. "Oh, yes. He's with me. Oh! Also, he told me once he is a fierce flyer, one of the most vicious from Griffonstone, and can beat anygriff in an air joust!" Silverstream played along with the guard, building up the atmosphere of the festival. Silverstream knew it would be a fun experience for Gallus, but she had no idea they would give him this personal of an experience right from the start!

A large hippogriff wearing heavy black armor landed near the guard. His armor covered most of his chest, and all of his head. His helmet had a vent that allowed the hippogriff knight to breathe and speak. In an chambered voice, the hippogriff growled up. "If this is the best the griffons have to offer, then allow me to counter his challenge." The strong hippogriff turned to the guard. "If you will allow me the privilege to defend Mount Aris from this foreign threat, it would be an honor." The mysterious hippogriff stood still and obedient, awaiting the guard's projected decision.

Silverstream started tapping her talons together with excited anticipation.

• Haha 1