A visit to the velvet strand [Closed][ask for invite]

DreamWanderer

It was a bright morning in a small town along the Velvet Strand. Lockhart Thunder rose from his sleep in his small home that was dug into the hill, Standing upright he stretched his legs and back. His muscles where a little sore, but a few stretches seemed to ease them. Looking over It had seemed that his darling Autumn had already set off to work for the day. Having himself a small breakfast he prepared to start the day off. Being among one of the stronger Perytons, He was expected to look after the herd. Which for quite awhile has been a pretty simple job, It was mostly peaceful around the NImbusgait lakes. Opening the door Lockhart stepped out of his home, The dew shined from the bright morning sun which was bright this morning. Like his home, most of the little villages around the velvet strand where small resort towns, which had all sorts of spas and shops dug into the hillsides which where strewn across the landscape. Connecting the homes and shops where small little dirt paths, and the occasional wooden bridges over streams and wet areas. Most of the hillside homes and shops all looked the same, and the only way to tell which was which where little signs that where posted or hung out front, stating the house number or business name. From Lockhart's home one could see the shore of the lake just a short distance away, It's water had been turned crystal clear after years from the Peryton living there. Setting off down the small dirt path from his home, The tall, and stocky winged deer wandered around town making sure all was calm, His green eyes scanned around the scenery and glanced as he past by the occasional pony. A sweet smelling aroma seemed to whisk along behind him as he plotted along down the path. Being a popular vacation place, Lockhart had gotten to see all kinds of species come and go from The little resort town. He didn't mind any of them as long as the didn't try to start any trouble. 

At first glance, it would seem that the Velvet Strand was not quite the flashy place. But it wasn't made to be so. It wasn't the visual aspects that kept the town thriving, it was the atmosphere. They swore it was the calmest place in the world, that they had been too. That was kind of the entire reason they came here in the first place. It was something to do with their magic. They probably could have read up more on it before, but they decided to learn right from the source itself. 

"A place like this could put us out of business," Tranquility observed as she wandered around. "It looks like they do everything better than us." 

"Well, we fix problems. It feels like they kind of just, avoid them in the first place," Placidity replied to her sister. The effect of the strand's auras didn't have that big of an altering effect on them, they were already calm enough. But they had to admit, it was kind of nice to be in a place that felt kind of natural to them. "How about we just move here?"

Tranquility gave off a mute laugh. "Then we wouldn't really be that special would we? I don't think everypony has the opportunity to come here, I mean it took us twelve years to get around coming here. We should just stick with where we are and help the ponies there." It was clear from the beginning that they wouldn't be taking any residence here, their banter was just some close bonding even if in the end it didn't have that much effect in the end. She could feel the aura getting stronger as she walked further along, A rather large Peryton was walking near them. "You think it's coming from him?"

"The Peryton seem to stick to the old herds lifestyle more than us ponies do. By my guess, the males would have a large factor in spreading the aura. We should go talk to him." The two of them made their way closer to the Peryton. "Excuse me good sir, we are tourists from Central Equestria. Would you care to aid us in the ways of your land?" Placidity asked through her projected voice as it can be unnerving sometimes to use a psychic connection when others are unaware of it.

"The aroma is stronger around you, do you happen to be the source?" Tranquility added on. "Is it something you learn, or something that happens naturally?" 

Lockhart Thunder had continued to make his rounds around town, as he made sure everything was in order. Around him he could see other Peryton going about there day and working through the shop windows, and all kinds of ponies going in and out of shops. He thought to himself as walked along scanning his eyes around, Being such a peaceful place, trouble was few and far in between. All tho things could get boring being so peaceful like this all the time, He didn't mind that. Lockhart looked forward to the day he could finally be able to settle down, and not have to worry about the herd on a daily basis, and let some other strong Peryton take over. 

Walking down one small dirt path he stopped as he heard some pony behind him summon him. Turning half way around to face them, he saw two ponies who seemed to be traveling together. "Good morning travelers, What exactly is it that i can help you with?" The winged deer asked in return, wandering what exactly they where needing help with. "Yes, indeed I am" He smiled in response to her question. "It is something that is naturally born in all of us Peryton. The source of our magic comes from our antlers. They can be somewhat comparable to that of the horns of you unicorns, Aside from the fact that we can not cast spells like that of you. Instead of the magic going out of your horns like you, our antlers draw the magic in from around us and channel it into a magic that gives off this aroma. It also helps plants and other living things around us thrive, and purifies the water around us, A great example of that is the NImbusgait lakes which have been purified by our kind for years now." He gestured to the lake that could be seen on the edge of town. 

So it was pretty much natural to them. While ponies were known to be friendly and mostly passive, they were not entirely peaceful and calm. That made them a bit envious. "It's quite a lovely aroma even if it doesn't have that much of an altering effect on us," Tranquility replied. "It's like we were meant to be here."

"Us two were born quite differently from the average pony more calm and peaceful, more similar to your kind. It might be in our magic, or it might just be purely coincidental," Placidity explained. "We overheard this place within our studies. It wasn't a key topic as we were studying mostly pony psychology but it was just something that was briefly brought up."

"I remember hearing about it when we were foals, but I don't think you were there at that moment Plas," Tranquility mentioned privately to her sister before turning back to the Peryton. "It was about a week ago that we decided to actually get around to coming here. A blank slot in our schedule that we had to use for this."

"Kind of like a pilgrimage," Placidity cut in as she could guess what Tranquility was going to finish off with. "When you say the water is purified, what do you exactly mean by that? Do you mean like the water is perfectly clean? No salt or anything within?"

"Also I was noticing the fact that you perytons have two antlers. I know your species isn't the only with antler's, but would it be right to assume that you channel through one and output through the other?" Tranquility added on pointing up to the Peryton's head. "I'm just making an assumption. The way you speak of them makes it seem like a very specific function." 

"Well you are most certainly welcome here as long as you stay." Lockhart replied to the two visiting unicorns. "Its good to hear that others are learning of our lands." He said in reply to Placidity mentioning of his kinds land in their studies. The Peryton where proud of their land and kind, almost to a boastful point. The Perytons knew they had a special effect on other ponies, and most where all to happy to brag about it. All tho Lockhart didn't do so outwardly but choose to do more so subtly. "You've most certainly picked a relaxing place to come on your free time." He added with a smile. "The water around us is cleaned of all impurities and turned a crystal clear color. I alone could purify a bucket or two of water in a day, All tho it takes lot of us to purify a sizable amount of water," The tall peryton remarked in a sort of boasting manner, trying to subtly pass it off as just answering their question. "Our kind is almost identical to that of our white-tailed cousins, aside from the fact that we have wings, and our magic ability. You would be correct in your assumptions, One is for channeling the magic around us, and the other is for distributing it around us in the form of our magic. As to which one does which, that i can not say as our magic isn't visible, and i have no control over it."  Lockhart explained to the two ponies which he realized that he had not caught there name. "I would like to ask of you what your names might be? I have realized that i have not yet caught your names yet. My name is Lockhart Thunder, But you can just call me Lockhart for short."

"Thank you kindly good sir. We may be staying here for about a week. Depends really. We could push it longer but that's how long we marked on the business," Placidity replied nodding to the Peryton. "I'm sure Tranquility might add some mention of your kind into her book." 

"Well, I'd have to think about that. I'll probably use it as a comparison, but I won't put it into too much focus, at least with this one. Maybe in future ones I'll include them bigger," Tranquility replied pondering the sequel. At this point, she hadn't completed her first book yet so she kind of wanted to save it. "The water is entirely crystal clear? Hmm, that's a bit discriminatory against some sea creatures what with the salt and all," She joked. 

"Speaking of them, are there any deer around here? I'd expect at least one, but I'm interested to know if there may be anymore," Placidity inquired. "I'm not entirely certain myself, but I think the deer must have some kind of magical ability of their own even if it isn't' entirely obvious."

"Ah so I was right. Perhaps a sensory spell could help determine which one performs which function. Who knows perhaps it is different for each individual? I don't think it would matter which side did which function as long as the output was the same," Tranquility theorised further. At that point she noticed something about the peryton. "I haven't seen a single Peryton in flight. Are your wings Vestigial? They must have functioned at one point for you to have them."

"I'm sorry, I guess we forgot to mention them before. Our names are Placidity and Tranquility respectively," she introduced. "I'm sure glad we got to meet you Lockhart." 

Lockhart smile when he heard they would be staying for awhile, giving a curious look when a mention of a book was made. "Your writing a book?" He asked out of curiosity. "I don't know if we would affect salt water, None of our kind has wandered far enough to come in contact with salt water that we know of." He said thinking about it for a moment. "I myself wish I could go to visit other places in equestria, But it is my job to protect the herd, and i do not wish to abandoned them." Lockhart added on, He had heard so much from visiting ponies from across Equstria about various places that would seem nice to visit. "A sensory spell?" He asked with the tilt of the head at the thought of it. "Yes we peryton are incapable of flight, We may have at one point, But I am not sure. I have heard stories of our origins, and whether or not we ever did fly, But they where all stories and rumors. Nothing solid." Lockhart said realizing that no one in the herd at least had ever passed down their history to one another, and it made him rather curious. "Well it's certainly good to meet you Placidity and Tranquility." He said with a smile. 

"I am indeed. It's a psychology book. I'm not sure if I should bother boring you with all the details, but it focuses primarily on the Equus genus. Perhaps in a sort of sequel book I could delve into other species," Tranquility explained before turning to her sister. "Unless of course, you want to start writing it?"

"No, I think I'll leave that up to you," Placidity replied. "I would suggest taking your entire herd along with you, but that begs the question of how big your herd is anyway. I'm guessing you're just going to wait until you're older when you have an heir to continue on your work."

"A sensory spell could help visualise the magic aroma and it's directional flows. I say could, but really I don't see why it wouldn't work since it's still magic and thus shouldn't be that much different," Tranquility explained trying to remember her sensory spell. It was in there somewhere. "Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about the whole salt thing, there clearly isn't anything wrong her that could possibly warrant bringing salt around to these parts." 

"All stories you say and no certain facts? Does no one here record any of your histories, anything that could certainly tell us what possibly happened?" Placidity would have exclaimed if she was a regular pony, but her artificial tone stayed the same. "I do have a theory that your current magic is somewhat overriding your flight capabilities. Your magic seems to resonate mostly with the environment and thus wouldn't atone much to the sky to give you flight as other creatures. Flighted creatures generally have massive proportionate wingspans alongside aerodynamic bodies or magic that interacts heavily with the air." 

"Enough talk I would say for this moment," Tranquility cut in fake coughing. "Would you help aid us in finding a place to stay for the coming week?" 

"A psychology book? You must be quite more educated then i am then." Lockhart smiled facing the two as they conversed with each other. "I wish it could be that simple." He chuckled "I will most likely do the latter, Things are peaceful enough around here, but i don't like taking chances." He explained, listening as Tranquility explained her sensory spell. "Well i certainly wouldn't mind trying." He said pondering it to himself for a little bit. "No one seems to pass along our history here, I have no idea why. Our origins have become somewhat lost to history except for stories and rumors. It is storied that our wings came from your pegasus pony kind, And our deer likeness from our cousin White tailed deer." Placidity did seem to have a interesting,theory, all tho that was not for him to judge whether it was truth tho.

"Surely." Lockhart smiled and turned away motioning for them to follow him with his hoof. Being the way the Peryton lived, Large multi roomed hotels didn't exist. Insisted little homes where dug out of the hillsides just like the Peryton's homes where. Walking along the small dirt path they passed several shops and homes. Crossing a small wooden bridge over a little stream, the stocky Peryton leaded them towards the shore of the lake which was on the edge of town. A hill rose just a little ways off the shore, following the small path around the hill it was found that the side facing the lake shore had a few homes dug into the hillside. Some where at the base of the hill, and some where closer to the top. Their fronts where mainly made out of stone. with one large window, and a doorway. The upper level homes where set back in the hill to make room for a path. The homes weren't much to look at, but the view of the lake made up for most of it. Looking behind him to make sure they where with him, He headed up a set of stairs leading up the hill which where made of simple logs that where split in half and imbedded in the ground. "Will this do for the two of you?" He asked with a smile gesturing to one of the homes with his hoof. 

Archived