Changeling Times[Private: ATTN: Blueblood]

IceStorm

Ever the diplomatist, Chrysalis let no other emotion cloud her face, save perhaps a slight, casual air of boredom as she stretched.  "Mmm, history, really?  We have as little need for that as for tradition.  After all, it wasn't very pleasant to experience, and less so to recall.  Suffice it to say, I wasn't the first queen, nor was I the only one.  I really can't say how long we're supposed to live; no changeling queen ever dies of natural causes.  Unless, of course, you count the effects of malnutrition.  I plan myself to live forever, talk to me later on how that turns out."

With a bit of a hissing chuckle, the Queen got to her hooves.  "Enough, we have fed, but you have not.  How rude for a hostess!  Please, allow me to lead the way to the dining table."  She gestured to the guards to open the door wide, as she led them out in a small procession out the door.  As she walked, a bit of sway in her hips as much by habit as anything else, the flooring and walls slowly became more bamboo and less chitin, until coming to a room that let in actual sunlight, dappling a table laden with plates piled high with tropical delights!  The sweet smell of mangos and pineapples hung in the air, batted hither and thither by the salt breezes.

Raven couldn't help the giggle that came out at Chrysalis' joke about living for ever. It helped lighten some of the tension she had felt ever since she'd stepped hoof onto the isle. She hoped that as time went on, and she worked alongside the changelings, her uneasiness around them would lessen. As she followed the Queen out the door, she took in the palace sights, amazed at the blending of the changelings chitin material, and the bamboo. Honestly, she could stay here for quite awhile, studying everything about this place, let alone it's owners. However, one of the Queen's comments did make her frown. "Really? You haven't recorded any history? or is it just that you haven't recorded history about the other hives? I mean, I understand that history can be painful, especially if it includes mistakes and loss, but it's also a great teacher. To record down what did and didn't work, so those who come after you will be able to take what you've built, and make it even more than it is now... I couldn't imagine throwing all of my family's records away..."

Soon though, they came to the dining room, or at least a banquet hall, with a table practically groaning under the weight of the fruits gathered on it. Raven was shocked at the amount, but smiled, seeing some of her favorite, but pricey foods. She'd only get them once or twice a year, as just getting them to Canterlot without freezing them usually resulted in them spoiling, or having to be eaten right away. She quickly found an unoccupied plate, and began to rectify that, picking less sweet foods, as well as the odd mango or two. It was only as she looked for a place to sit that she realized that she'd not thanked Chrysalis for this food, and she smiled sheepishly at that. "So... I suppose my thoughts on the food is clear..."

• 3 weeks later...

When Ice heard Chrysalis mention that she wasn't entirely sure on the life span of a queen because none of them really perished from natural causes, malnutrition non-withstanding. she said that history wise there wasn't much to go off of either, but she added that she planned to live forever if she could manage it. she couldn't help but smile a bit as she heard her say to check back later on how that was working out for her. "I'll have to make a note to do that when I'm old and brittle," she said with a giggled as she turned to Raven as she asked about how there wasn't any recorded history between hives or history at all.

"I can't really say one way or another. In a way, I would say that history though is as much of a curse as it is a blessing. After all, look what happened to Luna. Luna's reputation now is still tarnished because of what's been recorded in history. Yes it's important to learn from history so that the same mistakes aren't made, but at the same time I can understand how history can be a hindrance when trying to move forward from something that maybe didn't have the best of outcomes. Now family records, I can see how we would want to keep them but, since you're the queen wouldn't that make the entire hive your children? That'd be a rather long itinerary to keep track of," she said as her own stomach growled at the mention of food. "As are mine. There's plenty of time to chat while we eat.

Taking a seat at the table, Chrysalis' plate was empty.  Her literal, material plate, at least.  She planned to fill up her metaphorical feeding trough from the emanations of love from the loving couple, but first she'd have to clear out the weeds of business and mere intellectual curiosity.  The trick was to do so with finesse, and not mash their faces together like a preteen filly making her dolls kiss...

Shaking such urges out of her head, the Queen smiled as genuinely as she could.  "Your icy lover has it right in one, Raven.  It's also worth pointing out that few of my children are intrinsically literate; infiltration and glamour magic allows us to take on the basic skills of our targets, without needing to study hard to build up a library of, say, languages.  It's a fantastic shortcut, but it leaves us rather lazy when it comes to taking up new skills.  It's why a lot of my children in this environment are disguised, even though some of your kind have grown quite comfortable among us.  They simply cannot operate in a civilized society on their own knowledge."  She sighed.  "With some exceptions, of course, but not enough to make an actual, independent kingdom with."

Leaving aside the thanksgiving, she simply rested chin on hooves and watched the pair of mares.  "But enough of such heady subjects!  Tell me,  what are the sort of things you enjoy about each other?  I am endlessly fascinated by the subject of attraction; there are so few general rules, so many individual quirks.  Had we libraries, I would rather put records of those in books than sad, sordid historical narratives."

Raven nodded, before taking a bite. "So, what you're saying is, If you transform into a pony, you get some of their skills? That's cool, if not a little creepy." She ate for a little bit before choking slightly as she heard the Queen's next question. "What we like in each other? Really?" She said, a blush starting to color her cheeks. "Um, well, obviously there's the fact that Icy is beautiful, smart, strong... Kind and caring... Then there's the fact that she's given me the chance to live out my life's dream, to serve as a warrior for Equestria, when the REA wouldn't... Not to mention she's opened my eyes to more than what I'd known before, when I secluded myself in my study reading books and practicing spells all day... She's given me a reason to train once more, to take care of myself physically, not just mentally... and I can always talk to her, and she understands... She's perfect, even if I'm not..." She said, trailing off, blushing as she did. For some reason, she wanted to be as honest as possible, and to tell Icy everything she thought of her, even though it embarrassed her to say some of it. She then dipped her head, almost burying her face in her food as she ate slowly, trying to hide how bright her cheeks had gotten...

Archived