Apple Rings and Other Things

RainbowFoxxy

image.jpeg

(Open to all, have some fun!)

Big Mac stopped the cart and gave a sigh.

"Whew!" He exclaimed as he cast the rungs from his shoulders and let the heavy weight he had been hauling bump gently down.

"What?" Babs Seed jumped from the platform to the ground and nudged the big stallion. "You tired already cuz?"

The red guy turned his head and lowered it to glare at the filly. "Nope."

His expression soften to a smile as he trotted to start unloading. "Come on back an' help me with this...cuz," He was happy to have Babs along for the day. It would be much more fun to run a fun little game stall than to run the obstacle course...especially if he ever had to do it dressed as a mare again! 

It wasn't long before everything was set up. Being ever the sales mare Applejack had brainstormed up this idea a couple nights back and Mac had lent his hooves to getting everything together. It wasn't much really. They already had all the bits and pieces. Just took a little time to get them turned into what was fast taking shape near the grand stands where the fans were seated.

"Apple Ring Toss!" Said the hoof painted marque sign above the stand.

The rules were simple. Pay only one bit and get three rings. Toss them at the candy apples that were propped up in the middle of the stand. Whatever a contestant managed to ring, they got to keep! Of course most of the apple would just squeeze through ring if it was tossed just right but that was the fun part of the game!

"There you guys are!" Abby trotted onto the scene. She had some mud clinging to her and looked a bit tired but other than that she was rarin' to go! "Glad to see you made it!"

"Sorry we missed your run on the course Applebloom. It took a little longer to get loaded up than we thought it would," Babs nodded to the game stall that was now in working order. "But we're ready to roll now!"

"We sure are!" Abby exclaimed.

"Yep!" Came Mac's standard reply.

Now to wait for anypony who wished to try their luck...

Image result for big mac, applebloom, babs seed

• Like 1

img.jpg

Dramatic Flaire walked down the path. He was on his way to join Stage Lights and Thunderhoof to watch the ponies compete. He'd been sleeping in cause he had one too many late nights, lately. His stomach grumbled, and he wondered if there were any concessions at this event. He had a hankering for apples something fierce. He'd been thinking about it not more than a few seconds when he heard some chatter accompanied by the smell of the sweetest apples that had ever graced his nose, and caramel, to boot! Although, he didn't want to leave his friends hanging at the event. Just then, his stomach decided to chime in"Okay, fine." he surrendered.

He followed his nose to the source of the smell, and saw a lovely little booth for "Apple Ring Toss" occupied by a large red stallion, not as large as Thunderhoof, but quite respectable, to be sure. The stallion was finishing setting up the booth with an orange filly, who Flaire could tell from all the way over here was a Manehattanite, when a little yellow filly joined them. As he drew closer, he caught what the Manehattan filly said. "That little filly competed in the obstacle course?" he thought to himself. He found himself fairly impressed with her spirit. He came up to the booth soon after the conversation had finished, and he saw them. The most delicious looking candy apples he'd ever laid eyes on. His mouth watered slightly before he gathered himself.

"Hello, everypony." he greeted cheerfully "Those are some delightfully scrumptious looking candy apples you've got there! I'm assuming they are involved in this 'Apple Ring Toss' game you're advertising? I would be happy to try my hoof at it. How does one play?"

• Like 2

Applebloom did a happy little prance to which Babs couldn't help but giggle!

"Looks like yah got a customer!" The filly commented as she blew her forelocks away from her eyes.

"That didn't take long at all!" Applebloom trotted right up to the stallion at the stall. She knew the look of a pony hungering for a good apple when she saw one. That happened quite often when you grew up around the sweetest and juiciest apple in pretty much all of Equestria!

"Hi there!" Abby spoke as she took her place in the front of the stall. She'd be running this enterprise with Babs all day! "Well..." She glanced at the stack of tossing rings as Babs placed them neatly on the counter in front of her. "Sure is a tossin' game! All you gotta do is take one o' these rings and toss it that way!" She pointed with her hoof towards all the sweet apple treats ready to be won. "If you get a ring around an apple, you win it! Plus, some of them come with extra prizes too!"

Babs came up next to Applebloom just then. "So what d'ya say mister? Ready teh try your luck? It's only one bit to play!"

Abby eyed her cousin. They certainly didn't lack when it came to enthusiasm!  

• Like 1

Flaire chuckled "Seems simple enough" he agreed. He gave the filly a couple of bits to get six rings to toss. He wasn't exactly confident in his ring tossing ability, but he sure wanted one of those tasty apples. He went ahead and tossed a ring at the apples, but it just bounced right off and back into his face.

Flaire laughed "I knew I'd likely need more than a few goes." he smiled he concentrated hard and threw his second ring which sort of slipped right between a couple apples. "Third time's the charm?" he bargained with the ring.

He looked intently asst the apples willing one of them to catch his ring, he reeled his hoof back and just before he tossed, he saw something that made him stifle a laugh, he lost hold of his ring and it flew up. The ring coasted down flipping in the air as if in slow motion. It bounced off one apple, then another before rolling to a stop around a third apple. Tho on accident, he'd managed to ring an apple!

"Ha ha! I guess third time really is a charm!" he laughed.

Then he called over to behind the cart where a couple of very muddy stallions were walking by, one covered head to toe, and the other so tall, he was only covered up to his mind flank.

"Hey, guys! did you get lost?" he called

The big one just gave Flaire a look, and the shorter one said "I have never been this dirty in my whole life!" Flaire couldn't tell if Stage was angry or excited "Hoof and I are going to go get washed. You can come back to the caravan whenever you are ready." He tried again to pull some mud out of his mane, but managed only to pull his hair. The two left, and Flaire waved at them.

• Like 1

Two lil' Pegasus kids cantered into view.

brZgh4c.png?1

"So, this mare comes out of the doctor's office and says 'Hey! That's not my pontoon boat!", the little colt had just finished a rather long joke, causing his companion, a blue filly to burst into laughter.

y4vLcjk.png?3

"Wow, Wiseacre told that joke in class?", the little filly gasped as she wiped the tears from her eyes. "I'm sure old Miss Prunegrumble had her suspended like before.", she sighed as her friend nodded. "Wise' probably had to act the whole joke while telling it? That's gonna get you a suspension."

The pair stopped dead in their tracks when they noticed the booth the Apple Cousins had set up. "Hey, Fastie, oooh..", she gasped, "They're doing ring-tosses for candy apples...I think I wanna try and win..."

The colt was less than impressed. "Or we could just walk a few feet and purchase one of those really cool candy apples at the stall nearby. They have one covered in caramel, marshmallow and then an apple coating....For double the apple flavor!", he bounced.

"Phooey..", the filly waggled her front right hoof at her friend, "Where's the fun in that? Where's the challenge?", she produced a grin that was just a tad bit too large for the colt to be comparable with. Especially with her standing so close. Defeated, the little pony turned to make his way down to the pair.

"Hey Applebloom.......And...", she only met the little farmer's cousin a few times, but she was hardly a fan. Still, she had to be positive. "Babs Seed...", she was still not sure what a Babs was. "This sure is nice. Usually these ring toss things have you try to win cheap generic stuffed animal versions of ten-year-old cartoons."

The pair pulled out some bits and waited till it was their turn.

• Like 3

Valen wasn't going to compete in the larger competition. Celestia above knew that he didn't have the physical stamina or ability to so much as attempt an honest accounting of what would be required to succeed in them. That was fine by him. Excessive physicality only rewarded him when it was in the form of a fashion show or his vanity was being required in the service of Miss Rarity. Still, he wasn't chagrined at the thought of it, and he would admit to a great deal of innate curiosity. How was such an event run? Who would bother to show up? More importantly, how could he help his cousins put on an event of their own? He may not like athletic competition much, but he sure as salt enjoyed helping his family.

Then he showed up late. He had been helping Rarity with a new design and- well, time flew when you were having fun. Or when you were constricted and constrained from moving by various corsets and bars for posture. Late or not he would arrive, his head held high, a good trot on speed dial, and a free and easy smile on his cheery face. All around him were signs of the day's activities- ponies cheering, grunting, pulling, falling. Luckily there was also singing, laughing, and relaxing. You didn't hear the last one as much as feel it, but he swore you could do both as he approached the Apple family's little ring toss game. It was primarily a small venture for the family to partake in when they weren't running courses. That suited Valen just fine.

"Hello, cousins," Valen said lightly as he trotted into frame. On his back was a large saddlebag. It was a bit much for him, not that he'd let it on. His life was a series of uncomfortable moments, so why should his back get it easy? He placed the saddlebag down behind the counter. "I brought the prizes, and everything else you requested. What do you need me to do?"

• Like 3

Truth be told both fillies really hoped the nice stallion would ring a prize! It was much more excitin' for somepony to win than not and they had brought along more that enough prizes for pretty much every pony to be a winner. This venture wasn't really about hauling in the bits as much as it was to teach the filly cousins some valuable customer service and business lessons. The first two tosses hadn't gotten anything and Applebloom stifled a gasp as he giggled right at the cast of his third and final ring.

"Uh oh..." Babs blew her forelocks out of her eyes, sure the third would be a miss as well. 

And then...

"Woo hoo! A dead ringer!" Abby bounced back towards Big Mac. "We got our first ringer big brother!"

Big Mac smiled, enthusiastic for his younger sister. "Yep!" With that the big stallion reached out and collected the treat with the ring over it. He passed it to Abby who took it up to the stallion.

"Here you go mister! This is one of our best creations! It's a zap apple coated in salted caramel, dipped in zap apple jam and then candy coated with rainbow sprinkles!" She passed the beautiful rainbow confection over to Flaire, noting that the bottom of the stick was painted red. "An' looks like you won a bumper prize too!" She reached into another basket that had small caramel apples in it. "Two small caramel apples!"

Babs chuckled. "Maybe you kin give em' to your friend once they've cleaned up?" She smiled in a friendly way. "Looks like they got all they could handle on that obstacle course!"

Then a filly and foal showed up to the stall. 

Abby waved enthusiastically. "Wind Walker! Fast Track! Howdy!" She smiled broadly. "Glad to see you both! Want to try our game?"

Babs took a breath. She's changed since her last visit to Ponyville but the young citizens of Ponyville didn't know that yet. Well, she had her work cut out for her. Thankfully Applebloom cut in and reintroduced her.

"You both remember my cousin Babs?" She nudged Babs, helping her along in reaching a friendly hoof out to the pegasi. "She's in town for business lessons since she's gonna be a famous mane dresser someday!"

Babs blushed. "Uh, hi there Wind Walker, uh Fast Track. Glad to see you!" She smiled, trying her best to be genuine. 

Abby noticed Valen and nodded to Babs and then to Wind Walker and Fast Track. "Babs here will help you two with the game!" She trotted over to Valen.

"Hey there cousin," She rubbed one front hoof behind the other awkwardly. Applejack had talked to her about her treatment of Valen over the past few months and told her Valen would be showing up to help today. Sort of time to smooth things over between them. Abby hadn't meant any harm, but she felt bad for what had happened. She'd only been trying to help. She sucked in a breath. At least they had work to do to make this less uncomfortable. "Glad you could make it! Big Mac's ready to go back to the farm so if you could help pull the apples that ponies ring that would be great!"

There. That had sounded natural, right?

• Like 1

Rocky was out and about again walking through the various stands of the Competition.   After rooting for his big brother Boulder Dash in the Obstacle course he had decided to see the other attractions of the competition.  Watching Scootaloo dive was exciting as well as the cup cake competition, yet yearned for a challenge himself.

As he worked through the stands, the sea foam colored Earth Pony adjusted the red bandana on his head as he worked through the crowds.  Soon he came across the Apple Ring toss stand and the voice of Applebloom soon caught his attention.  The young colt walked up too the line and stood in place as he tried to remain natural, hard though it was.

It seemed every creature in Equestria was aware of his crush on Applebloom, and though he was getting better he still struggled to talk straight to her.  Still as his turn came up he smiled, fighting the blush coming into his cheeks, he placed his bits on the counter and bowed his head to her.

"Afternoon Applebloom Ma'am.....I'd be greatly honored if I could give it a toss.  If anything to get to help ya'll out today" he managed to squeak out with his country twang.

• Like 2

Flaire smiled and took the prizes "Well I'm not sure what a 'Zap Apple' is, but judging from the smells coming from your booth, I'm sure it's fantastic!" He gave the curious confection a bit of a sniff, smiled, and took a small bite, wanting to leave a bit for later.

The flavor that filled his mouth was nothing short of amazing! He'd never tasted something so vibrant and shocking. He was amazed at how much flavor could be packed into such a tiny morsel. He couldn't resist chomping down the rest of the apple.

"That. Was. Simply amazing!" he beamed "I have to know where I can get more of these apples! I've never tasted anything like it! You've got me sold!"

He overheard the mention of Babs being a hairdresser, and he smiled "A hairdresser, eh?"  He chuckled "I'm sure stage is gonna need one after he finally gets his mane clean. That stallion fusses over his mane so much, you'd think his talent was mane styling." He laughed.

When the new pony came in and greeted Apple Bloom, Flaire smiled. He could see this colt's crush from a mile away. He didn't do a great job at hiding it. Sometimes, he wished he had somepony he could feel that way about, but he was content with the Theatre. He decided he'd let him do his best with the object of his affection. He still had three more rings he paid to toss, but honestly, the one apple was well worth more than both bits, so he left his rings on the stand and said. "Sorry, I'll have to go early. I'll definitely be finding your farm, later, tho, Apple Bloom. These apples are well worth a trip. I'll leave you guys to it, shall I?" He winked a wink at the colt that said "go get 'em, Tiger" and made his way back to the caravan.

((sorry, I'd do a better job, but I'm kinda busy irl, rn, and I get real nervous about rping with lots of characters at once. :/ ))

• Like 1

oedrVXf.png?2

The pair ‘o’ ponies cheered together as the impressive stallion made his throw. For such a big guy, he was still pretty dexterous.

“Good job Mister Mac.”, the filly made sure to study his moves. She would copy them. Master his skills. Be like the Mac..”Those apples look just as good as the ones in the stand...Maybe better.”, she gave her colt-friend a wink.

Business lessons? Freckles couldn’t be that much older than the blue Pegasus and she needed lessons in business? Wind Walker was still trying to figure out algebra! And they had Zap Apples! Miss Cheerilee did mention something about them. Something about they taste shockingly good. Wind Walker would have named them Zippityzapples, which is fun to say.

“Oh yeah, we’ve met before...”A few Ponyville events....A sleepover....The filly was too polite to mention that the Apple cousin was a bit of a tattle-tail. She needed to be positive. “Heya Babs.”, she noticed her cutie mark. “I always wondered why some ponies get direct examples of what jobs they will get....You got a pair of scissors and Fastie over here has his train....While mine is an tornado with wings..It’s a bit more odd symbol that could mean anything..But I was told it meant I was both a strong and fast flyer...”

Once it was her turn, Wind Walked scooped up the ring and let it go.......
  • Like 3

(I hope I got things right with this post. Just let me know if something seems out of order as far as what everypony is doing and I can change it :) )

Babs half smiled and blew her bangs out of her eyes as Wind Walker made the cutie mark comment. "Yup, though I'm still not convinced that should really be my calling. I mean don't get me wrong, I like to cut and style manes and tails it's just that..." She raised her eyebrows. "I'm not very good at it yet."

She watched the pegasus pick up the ring and give it a toss. "Hmmmm, a tornado with wings huh?" She remembered seeing marks sorta like that on some of the Wonderbolts.  "Maybe yer meant to be a trick flyer? Are you good at air maneuvers?" Babs still wasn't the best at this whole friend making thing. She was unsure of herself and she knew the other filly could probably tell that. But, she'd keep trying. She had to admit it made her feel much better to be friendly with other ponies instead of trying to bully them.

The ring sailed towards the candy apples and Babs smiled as it bounced off one apple and then landed right over the top of another. It was covered in bright red candy that had sprinkles stuck in it. "Oh! Good toss there Wind Walker!" She looked back and saw the Abby was just seeing off Big Mac and Valen was just getting himself situated. No problem! She's get the apple herself! Soon she was trotting back with the prize. "Whoa! This thing's kinda heavy!"

Abby trotted back up then. "Got yerself a prize huh Windy?" She giggled at Bab's attempt to carry the apple back to the winner. "It is a bit heavy cause it's got about six layers of candy under that one, all different colors! We call it the All Day Apple!"

Babs hoofed it over carefully to Wind Walker as Abby looked to Fast Track. "Hey there Fast Track! You're given this a try too I hope!"

Just then Rocky showed up. Abby thought he always acted a bit strange but he was also really nice so no problem there! "Howdy there Rocky!" She waved at the country stallion. "Happy to have y'all come to play!" She smiled winningly at him. "It's only a bit and you get three tosses!"

• Like 2

Rocky felt a strong sense of warmth when Applebloom smiled at him.  It felt as if any and all nervousness left him like a seedling in the wind.  Perhaps he was hoofs over horns for her, and now he could actually speak with her made him feel at ease.  Quickly getting rid of the blush in his cheeks and the goofy grin on his face, he nodded to Applebloom and placed his bits on her counter top.

"Welp sure as shootin my big bro Boulder ain't da only one a got skills to show today" he said as he took his ring and walked over to the tossing spot and held it out proper.  Concentrating he focused on his target, an apple in the middle of the stand.  He took a deep breath and recalled a lesson from his late Pa, Boulder Guard, to always give it your all and think about what your always fighting for.

He took one last peek at Applebloom smiling at him and inhaled before giving the ring a toss.  It sailed through the air, landed around the apple, and spun gracefully around landing perfectly around his target.

Clapping his hooves proudly he nodded to the Apple clan and said, "Bang on!  Boulder Dash ain't the only one with an eagle eye"

• Like 1