Defense Against Dark Hearts: Lessons in Empathy (Open: School of Friendship)

Bellosh

ZGZh5Rx.png?1

Ah Ha! Once again, the dragon proved she could be a good student and that she was actually listening to the conversation at hand. She was a good student!

She smiled as her question was judged as an 'interesting issue' and not an 'dumb question' or 'What does this 'ave ta do with cooking? Wer learnin' how ta may-uk apple tarts!'.

Smolder nodded her head as the teacher spoke. "Not sure I could pull that off...Not knowing pony magic, I can breathe fire, but it's mostly the roasty, toasty sort...Not the friendship kind...", she shrugged.

She glanced over at her fuzzy little kitty-birdy friend, "Nah, I don't believe we would have imprisoned her in stone if she was just a dumb kid.", the dragon added, "Horrible little demon that was good at manipulating others..", Which Cozy Glow was rather good at doing. Being turned into stone seemed to be the number one way of getting rid of evil doers in Equestria. Discord got it twice, and that dumb storm king guy was stoned and then shattered into a zillion pieces. Probably not going to try to undo that spell.

She shuddered as the griffon mentioned Yona's special moves, that probably would break Gallus' itty bitty little birdy bones.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

RRhqIJw.png

Professor Shimmer addressed concerns raised by a couple of the students; “Now personally, I’m more of the sort of girl who likes getting out in the field and getting my hands... uh, hooves dirty.” The unicorn awkwardly chuckled for a moment; “And rest assured, you’ll all be doing plenty of that in this class. Even so, you gotta start from somewhere when testing theories on Friendship magic, which is why it’s always helpful in general to know how to use a library. And with Twilight Sparkle no longer around to lend her bookworm expertise..... feel free to come to me after class, and I’ll be more than happy to give you extra help and advice on how to research written sources.”

“If that just isn’t your thing, as I know it’ll be for some people... well, the good news is that your end-of-the-year project will actually be a group assignment. Each group will come up with a theory — a hypothesis — about how hearts become corrupted, or how to fight against that. Once you do that, you'll perform experiments to test your theories, and then give a presentation of your results during our final class sessions. For those of you unfamiliar with how experiments work, next week I’ll be conducting one myself in the lab to show you how it’s done... and you’ll also gain experience in how being a test subject is like!” Sunset sounded a bit too gleeful when she brought up test subjects.

“To be more specific, next week during our lab time, I’ll have you each play a musical instrument of your choice, and I’ll be making observations as you play. Don’t worry how good you are; I’m not interested in your skill. But in the place where I live... music is a potent trigger in activating the Magic of Friendship. With your guys’ help, we can confirm once and for all whether music has that same power here in Equestria.....”

jGtW6Iv.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

81KtqmA.png

Several things hit Gallus in waves. The first was that, like their previous Chancellor, it looked like their teacher loved books and the library. Blegh. Well, less blegh because books and more because it looked like there was going to be a required reading list and that didn't really work for him. He was more of a knowledge hunter, flying around the fertile fields of education to pick and choose the materials better suited to his own style of learning. Set him an end goal and he'd get there, his way. Oh well. Every teacher had their required reading list it seemed like. 

The second thing that swept into his mind was a bit of worry. Test subject? He wasn't a fan of that. Despite placing all of his trust in others and being rewarded for it he'd admit to always being a little worried about being on the line and not having control over his own fate. Especially when it was a new Professor. But he was pretty excited about forming a friendship theory and showing it to everycreature else. He knew he'd pass with flying colors. Well, assuming everycreature else wasn't gonna take his idea. He wasn't sure how unique it was necessarily.

Third...was duh. Of course music and friendship was linked. Hadn't they broken out into songs together before? Seemed like a solid one to one as far as he was concerned. Of course that did leave him to wonder just what instrument he'd bring to the table. Food for thought. But the idea that other realms had music, and the magic of music, did bring a question to the forefront of the grinning griffon's mind. "Tell me though- in your world, does all the pop music suck too? If I have to hear one more Sapphire Shores song I'm gonna break down."