Ogres and Oubliettes (Open)

Anypony want to enter the world of Ogres and Oubliettes?

(D&D/Pathfinder-esque type rp with ponies)

Anyone who's interested go ahead and join the discussion here. We're going to discuss what we want out of this rp and come up with a structure for how it'll be done.

Once we've collectively decided we know what we're doing, we'll move forward, and I'll make a thread for the rp.

I don't intend for it to be as structured as D&D/Pathfinder, but not quite as haphazard as O&O in the show, either.

Well if Golden Dream were to get into any social situation without her sister's help it probably would be something nerdy like that...

Sure, why not?

I think the idea behind adapting a D&D type game into a casual RP thread like this is to feature the idea of stats and dice rolls but rather than the "DM" actually having character sheets and interrupting posts to roll dice, you just trust your players to have a fair pass/fail rate based on what their character is supposed to be able to do. That way it still feels like a dumbed-down D&D without also being too cumbersome for the format.

Although, since you posted this in the free for all forum I'm not sure whether you're intending this to be, like, the characters are playing the game and we narrate what's happening in the game or if it's actually like an AU where the game is real. I'm assuming it's the latter? I might submit Hawthorn instead if that's the case.

Either way. and it's like to just trust that postponed would themselves be reasonable and decide if their character is able to do a thing and be like "they try, but they fall" or the like.

idk

Maybe it should be the GM who decides.

That's what this thread is mainly for, tho. For us to discuss how this'll go. I don't really have a very solid idea of how an rpg can work on a forum, so input is 100% appreciated.

Also, I don't really know where the rp should go, but the discussion is supposed to go here, right?

As for whether it's OCs playing O&O or us directly playing the characters, whatever works best for everybody. They both sound great to me.

and part of the discussion should also be how we'd like the character sheets to look.

Cause it'll make things easier to keep track of, I think, if we have character sheets.

I prefer the idea of having existing OC's make and play their characters in the game, but we'll see what other folks think when they join. I can advertise and brainstorm on the forum Discord server if you want. 

For character sheets and game mechanics in general, I think we need to keep numbers to a minimum. So like have stats like Strength, Charisma/Charm/Speech, Agility/Dexterity, Intelligence/Magic, Willpower, and Fortitude/Endurance, but only label them as strengths and weaknesses. Other than that, I'd list race (species?), class (maybe from a list or just make things up within reason), personality brief or even just a moral alignment, any magic/unique skills, and equipment. Anything else? 

For the ability scores, we can have

Stat=Weak/bellow avg/avg/above avg/strong

We don't need to have the same stats as D&D, necessarily, if you think we could use less/more stats, we can change them.

Then we'd have skills that can come from the D&D skills list if you're familiar with it, or you could make up your own skills that make sense to you (this is per player) and just use your skill whenever it makes sense. As long as everyone is reasonable, I don't see a need to be too strict with a skill list. We can rank the skills from 1-5 same as the ability scores. Magic can be a skill, same as flying and speech.

Since this is MLP related, we'd also have a talent. You get bonuses when you do anything related to your talent. It's usually a success when it's directly related.

Starting equipment may be whatever you feel is reasonable for your character to have.

(I just realised that not only is this not as haphazard as O&O, it's more so lol but it's fine)

I'm thinking for races, we'll just use the playable races from the WoE rules.

Are you familiar with Fate Accelerated? O&O is obviously more like D&D but the point is the whole "talent" thing reminds me of "stunts" in Fate. You basically have one very specific thing (like my thief character whose stunt is stealing things of little value if he takes a specific approach to doing so) that you gain a sizable bonus to accomplish, basically making it a guaranteed success.

Anyway, I'm gonna mention this thread on Discord and see if anyone responds. The races make sense and I don't think there needs to be a strict class list. I honestly think the original D&D stats make the most sense, though maybe we could combine intelligence and wisdom for simplicity? With your suggestion of five levels of proficiency, I would use:

Strength

Endurance

Agility

Intelligence

Charisma

And then let characters have only one stat at each level.

If we decide to write a list of spells/skills, I could definitely do that. I wrote a gigantic spreadsheet of spells for a Persona D&D I was doing once so something this simplistic is child's play.

it's okay, I think we can just assume any skill that's not mentioned on a sheet is average, and people can just come up with their skills.

Like so.

(Wk/BA/Av/AA/St)

Perception: AA

Lock picking: St

Swimming: Wk

Directions: BA

Special talent: Stealth

We could use a balance system where for every AA or St skill must be balanced with a BA or Wk one, respectively. Or use points system, if that makes more sense.

Wk: -2pts

BA: -1pt

AA: 1pt

St: 2pts

and you start with like 4 points or smth. Idk.